forum

Osu population

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Yoges
It's something that's pondered by mind for a while now, I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this but is the population of osu still growing or is it decreasing?

When I ask this I'm not referring to the "8,000,000+" accounts created I'm referring to the average amount of active users. A part of me is inclined to think the population is decreasing because I've seen many big guys like rrytui and Fort leave.
Yuudachi-kun
A lot of those 8 million are people that never play, play once then leave, play for a week than leave, etc.
Topic Starter
Yoges

Yoges wrote:

I'm referring to the average amount of active users.
Yuudachi-kun

Yoges wrote:

Yoges wrote:

I'm referring to the average amount of active users.
Active = one play per 3 months

Those people are the average.
Topic Starter
Yoges
That's a strange way to define active. Is that really the norm for this community? I'd define active as some from of activity like a play, map update or forum post at least every 2 weeks.
Yuudachi-kun

Yoges wrote:

That's a strange way to define active. Is that really the norm for this community? I'd define active as some from of activity like a play, map update or forum post at least every 2 weeks.
That's how Peppy defines it when he lists active users.
Mahogany
It is. Check your performance graph on your profile and notice it only goes back 3 months, for example. If you don't set a single (ranked) score in those 3 months, it'll just say you haven't done anything notable recently, and you're not considered an "active" player.
Topic Starter
Yoges
Active users definition aside I doubt anyone is going to have a graph or any sort of statics handy for this kind of stuff. :
Spirit_Dreamer
I think it's actualy the opposite, more and more active people.Leaving the number of registered users aside, the number of users online at a time keeps growing,also more people are watching osu streamed at twitch.Those are not definite numbers, but still are something.
Railey2
and once again, this is relevant: http://t.khaz.io/post/129876225172/find ... ere-are-on

The numbers probably changed a bit by now, but not enough to render this document useless.

tl;dr

81.09% of accounts existed
10.10% of accounts were active within the last month
.70% of accounts had an invalid last-active date (“dead”)
.23% of accounts were active supporters.

number of "active" users (were active within the last month) is approximately ~800k.

If that doesn't satisfy your definition of active, you can use the code in the document and just tweak it a little bit:

SPOILER
__active_cutoff__ = (datetime.datetime.now(dateutil.tz.tzlocal()) - datetime.timedelta(days=28))

def getLastActive(content):
return dateutil.parser.parse(re.match(".*(<div title='Last Active'><i class='icon-signout'></i><div><time class='timeago' datetime='(.*)'>.*</time></div></div>).*", content, flags=re.DOTALL).group(2))

def isActive(date):
return date > __active_cutoff__

just set days=28 to 7 or so.
Topic Starter
Yoges
I guess that'll satisfy me for now. Still, an answer from peppy would probably be more insightful.
Railey2
Tbh, peppy can't really do more than what the dude in the document did. It doesn't get any better than that, the results are just a bit outdated. For the most accurate result, run the scripts yourself :p