forum

Cherry MX Blue?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Stark
Hello, i'm going to buy a mechanical keyboard and it comes with cherry mx blue, im wondering if this cherry is good for osu or it is bad.

thnks
Eloc
I'd say due to having the lowest activation pressure reds are technically the best specifically for osu. I think cookiezi uses blacks so no matter what kind of switches you have anything is possible but it comes down to preference mainly.

Here's a link explaining different switches and their strengths and weaknesses

http://www.keyboardco.com/blog/index.ph ... -switches/
TakuMii
I'd recommend getting any other switch if you can. Blues are designed for typing, and not gaming. Due to their design, Blues are slightly less consistent than other switches when it comes to rapid keypresses (they're not that bad if you don't care about speed though). Personally, I prefer the feel of Browns, as they're like a halfway between Blues and Reds.

@Eloc: Nope. Cookiezi currently switches back and forth between MX Brown and Razer Green.
(But back in the old days, he used Blues for a while before moving to Reds)
Ayesha Altugle
It's all down to preference. From what I see from the reviews of keyboard with that cherry mx switch, it is mainly good if you are a typist. But personally, I would prefer red switches since it is mainly preferred for gaming with only 45 cN compared to blues which is 50 cN. I really don't know much about the other switches, since I am only using a rubberdome.
IppE

deadbeat wrote:

General Discussion is for non-osu! related topics.

If you're looking for a new mouse/tablet/keyboard, check Gameplay & Ranking
Zymaz
cookiezi = browns
Zymaz
l
KanoSet

YayMii wrote:

I'd recommend getting any other switch if you can. Blues are designed for typing, and not gaming. Due to their design, Blues are slightly less consistent than other switches when it comes to rapid keypresses (they're not that bad if you don't care about speed though). Personally, I prefer the feel of Browns, as they're like a halfway between Blues and Reds.
FrzR
I like blues because it's fun to type with. Blues are good with osu! tbh. My friend -Marika uses blues.
Endie-
personal p r e f e r e n c e
[-CeMAqpOP-]kee
blues are the best for accuracy and if you disagree you can look at mine
Endie-

Fser wrote:

blues are the best for accuracy and if you disagree you can look at mine
What makes you think that? lol.
deadbeat
i'm a bit late to the party, so i'm just gonna send this to G&R
silento
Reds seem to be generally the best for osu, but just play with whatever you like and doesn't hinder you. Switches enhance your play, not make you play better.
chainpullz

YayMii wrote:

@Eloc: Nope. Cookiezi currently switches back and forth between MX Brown and Razer Green.
(But back in the old days, he used Blues for a while before moving to Reds)
Gayz uses blues now so that kind of debunks your bad for speed theory. He's hands down the fastest/most accurate active stream player (RIP Remilia, you shall always be remembered for your stream compilation DTAP shenanigans).

On an unrelated note, I have blues and reds and much prefer my blues for any bpm.

Clarification: most accurate at extreme bpm.
Minhtam

chainpullz wrote:

Gayz uses blues now so that kind of debunks your bad for speed theory. He's hands down the fastest/most accurate active stream player.
How the hell do you acc on blues? That's mind-boggling.
Endaris
I think even though blues are technically "worse" for high speed you're probably making a bit too much of a science out of which switches are better because after all theyre still very similar to each other. Wanna say, MX Blues are still good for osu! because they have pretty much everything an osu!-player really needs from a switch. razer backlighting
chainpullz

Minhtam wrote:

chainpullz wrote:

Gayz uses blues now so that kind of debunks your bad for speed theory. He's hands down the fastest/most accurate active stream player.
How the hell do you acc on blues? That's mind-boggling.
The same way you acc on every other key switch? It's interesting to note that gayz also has absurdly low wasted hit count on his plays, probably in part due to still getting feedback from the bump even when floating the keys.

Tbh lower actuation force isn't exactly a good thing for high bpm stamina. People forget that lifting a finger is far less trivial compared to pressing it down. Stiffer keys that provide more in the way of restoring force tend to be better for that.
TakuMii
I could bring up isokasapupuja (who happens to do really well with rubber-domes), and my point would still stand. The switches don't make the player, but that doesn't mean that a better switch won't make a difference. There's a reason why most top players have moved on from Blues.

Also, about your point about 'restoring force': If you're looking for a switch for that, Blacks would be a better choice. The release on Blues also require a sharper decrease in force compared to other switches, while still retaining the exact same spring as Browns and Reds, so they in fact make it more difficult to retain high stamina.
chainpullz

YayMii wrote:

I could bring up isokasapupuja (who happens to do really well with rubber-domes), and my point would still stand. The switches don't make the player, but that doesn't mean that a better switch won't make a difference. There's a reason why most top players have moved on from Blues.

Also, about your point about 'restoring force': If you're looking for a switch for that, Blacks would be a better choice. The release on Blues also require a sharper decrease in force compared to other switches, while still retaining the exact same spring as Browns and Reds, so they in fact make it more difficult to retain high stamina.
I still don't think you understand. Gayz actually switched to blues and is doing better than ever. Your idea that the bump is a bad thing is pure conjecture. I won't pretend I have a full picture either I just want to make a point that speculating based off numbers like actuation force is pretty stupid. The difference in most keys is subtle at best and its better to go by the word of people who can actually play these bpms and have experience using multiple different switch types to do so. Since you aren't streaming 280+ bpm with high accuracy your conjecture has little weight.

Edit: for reference jot_bab and Death also both use blues (razer greens in the case of jot but they are equivalent).
KanoSet
i'm no expert with switches or anything and the only mech switch i have is mx blue
the thing about blues that you need to lift your fingers higher than most switches cuz of the rest point vs actuation or whatever which can be annoying and make the switch feel inconstant at high speed (?) -compared with my rupper dome and laptop keyboard- if you are not used to