forum

Optional in-game clock/timer

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +172
Topic Starter
Praw
Original request

SPOILER
It's very easy to lose your sense of time when playing fullscreen and enjoying the hell out of the game.

I'd suggest an optional in-game timer or a clock (time online/time actually playing beatmaps etc.).

The reason why I'd request it, is that it would make it easier to take consistent breaks for resting.

Feature: Optional in-game clock/timer

Style: Either a clock or a session timer, just like the one in the main menu (happy, Transformau5?)

Reason: To ease the taking of regular breaks for people who lose track of time while enjoying the hell out of the game.

Current solution: The main menu timer and clock, which are fine where they are, when you are already aware that you need to check the time and don't want to alt-tab.
Pawsu
There's the time in the main screen?
-Maus-
Just click the huge "osu" circle in the main menu lmao
Topic Starter
Praw
I mean a constant timer/clock, like the frame time counter.

If I was aware that I need to check the time I can just alt tab or check my phone. Did you think someone is that dumb? :D:D
Pawsu
Then I see no reason why you would need additional time when it's already provided.
Topic Starter
Praw

Pawsu wrote:

Then I see no reason why you would need additional time when it's already provided.
It's like an "!uptime" on Twitch, or a timer on the top centre when you shift-tab into Steam Overlay. It shows you how long your current play session is etc.
As I already explained, if you see that you've been playing for 3 hours non-stop, then it's probably a good idea to take a break even if you feel on point.
-Maus-
Have you ever opened the game
Topic Starter
Praw

Transformau5 wrote:

Have you ever opened the game
Have you ever gone past the main menu? Maybe you're a mapper, but as a player, I'm 99.99% in the song list or actually playing the game, instead of sitting in the main menu. That means I don't see a clock or a timer until I exit out to the main menu, which means I'm already tired and going to quit, or have played for way too long without noticing the time.
abraker
Dupe t/37703
Xenoblade

abraker wrote:

Dupe t/37703
Not a dupe. This request is asking for an optional clock as part of the interface. That thread is asking for a command to display current time.
This would actually be a nice feature to have, considering osu! crashes for me when I alt-tab, so I can't check the time that way. :P
EDIT: I'll give support in 7 hours... if I remember. :P
abraker

Fayne Aldan wrote:

abraker wrote:

Dupe t/37703
Not a dupe. This request is asking for an optional clock as part of the interface. That thread is asking for a command to display current time.
This would actually be a nice feature to have, considering osu! crashes for me when I alt-tab, so I can't check the time that way. :P
EDIT: I'll give support in 7 hours... if I remember. :P
Denied
t/258825/start=0
t/118922?hilit=+clock
Topic Starter
Praw
This is a different concept because I'm not asking for a way to check the time. I'm asking for a way to be more aware of the time (for example, a small, almost transparent "time played" counter in the top right or top centre in the song picking menu). When I'm already aware that I want to know the time, I can check it in a million ways: I can alt tab, check my physical clock, or go to the main menu, or type smth in chat.

Before I become aware that I want to know the time, I can easily play for 3-6 hours. Yes this is not a problem for people who like to multitask, or are interrupted by something, but as a huge fan of the game who likes to fully focus on the game, when I'm playing, I'll start noticing the time when my hands are already rekt for the day, or when I have already set a timer outside of the game for breaks or other obligations.

I'm not saying this is the most important thing that needs attention immediately, just bringing up a point that the main menu clock is useless as a "completed clock request that can never be challenged" when it's visible only under a second in a day for me, and that's only when I'm checking how many beatmaps I have.
-Maus-
Hey guys I'm too lazy to tap escape a few times and click a huge-ass button in the main menu to read a thing that's already there, add a new feature pls
abraker

Praw wrote:

This is a different concept because I'm not asking for a way to check the time. I'm asking for a way to be more aware of the time (for example, a small, almost transparent "time played" counter in the top right or top centre in the song picking menu). When I'm already aware that I want to know the time, I can check it in a million ways: I can alt tab, check my physical clock, or go to the main menu, or type smth in chat.

Before I become aware that I want to know the time, I can easily play for 3-6 hours. Yes this is not a problem for people who like to multitask, or are interrupted by something, but as a huge fan of the game who likes to fully focus on the game, when I'm playing, I'll start noticing the time when my hands are already rekt for the day, or when I have already set a timer outside of the game for breaks or other obligations.

I'm not saying this is the most important thing that needs attention immediately, just bringing up a point that the main menu clock is useless as a "completed clock request that can never be challenged" when it's visible only under a second in a day for me, and that's only when I'm checking how many beatmaps I have.
t/202645/start=0&&hilit=clock ???
Topic Starter
Praw
What you linked is an "Overall time played" counter, to watch how many hours have you played all time. What I'm thinking of, is a daily/per session counter or just a clock to make the player aware of the time. Possible locations: http://puu.sh/o8k78/4ae5333f98.png
-Maus-
Guess what
It's also in the main menu
Topic Starter
Praw

Transformau5 wrote:

Guess what
I guess you can't understand no matter how I explain.

I'll try for the last time, I'll segment it for you.

What's the use of the main menu clock...

for someone who can obsessively...

play for several hours...

without losing focus,

without going to the main menu...

without alt-tabbing...

without needing a toilet break...

without needing rest...

without needing to check their phone...

until their hands hurt...

or they are dehydrated...

or their eyes are hurting...

or any other reason.

I already know your answer: "Stop being obsessed, get a life, use your own timer, be smart like me."
This is just a feature request, so no I won't stop being obsessed, just like many other players, yes I don't have a "life" in your definition and yes I'm already using my own timer to rest my eyes/hands/body and stretch and will continue doing it, so this is just a quality-of-life feature request. If you think this is the stupidest request, you can always request a moderator to delete this thread.
3minence
I'm with Praw. An option to have a clock while playing beatmaps, or browsing your song list, would be nice. :D
pixeldesu
I can agree with the feature not being necessarily bad.

A lot of games do tell their players to take breaks frequently and so does osu! (in a help tooltip in the main menu, I believe). Most games usually just send a message to the chat telling their players that they should take a break, but as the chat is not (necessarily) a vital part of osu! I don't think it would work this easy.

Other than that I don't really know a place that would have space for an additional clock to show your playtime, maybe it could be incorporated with osu!next if the need for an ingame clock that's accessible from all screens is really that big. So in the end I'm kinda neutral on this feature request.

SPOILER
Tried something with Photoshop, but it wouldn't work that way since song name length varies, obviously.
Pawsu
You can also see the time when in the chat.
-Maus-

Praw wrote:

you can always request a moderator to delete this thread.

If you really are so obsessed that you can't even stop for 10 seconds to go to the main menu to check the time, what's the actual point?
Topic Starter
Praw

Transformau5 wrote:

Praw wrote:

you can always request a moderator to delete this thread.

If you really are so obsessed that you can't even stop for 10 seconds to go to the main menu to check the time, what's the actual point?
Well I hope you ever find something that you like/love that much that you can focus on it over 10 seconds.
-Maus-
^Didn't understand the post at all
pixeldesu

Pawsu wrote:

You can also see the time when in the chat.
Well, current time does not equal the actual playtime, and it's easy to lose track of time when being focused etc.

As mentioned, the basic idea is not too bad, but ever finding a right place for it is probably not going to work out. It's not a necessity, as you can just go back to the main menu.
deadbeat

Praw wrote:

Transformau5 wrote:

Guess what
I guess you can't understand no matter how I explain.
I'll try for the last time, I'll segment it for you.
What's the use of the main menu clock...
for someone who can obsessively...
play for several hours...
without losing focus,
without going to the main menu...
without alt-tabbing...
without needing a toilet break...
without needing rest...
without needing to check their phone...
until their hands hurt...
or they are dehydrated...
or their eyes are hurting...
or any other reason.
although this is extremely exaggerated(hopefully), if someone is so hooked into the game they can't take 5 seconds to check the main menu, they need a break. i'm not going to lie. while this might be a nice extra touch, i just don't find this requested all that needed
-Maus-
I think that most people still can't get this into their skulls that the session's length is also featured in the main menu timer, so I'll just point it out here
Topic Starter
Praw

deadbeat wrote:

although this is extremely exaggerated(hopefully), if someone is so hooked into the game they can't take 5 seconds to check the main menu, they need a break. i'm not going to lie. while this might be a nice extra touch, i just don't find this requested all that needed
I'll explain to you as well then. It's not about not being able to take 5 seconds, it's about not even noticing that you could take 5 seconds to check the main menu. Hours go by or your hands get tired etc etc and then you notice. When it's late and when it doesn't matter any more.

Whether or not someone needs a break is just an opinion and it's as worthwile as my opinion that when you don't even like the game enough that you lose track of time, then you should take a break or look for a more interesting game for you.
show more