forum

is discord going to replace skype someday

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
fat pear
the developers of discord listen to what customers want, their app isn't laggy as shit, they dont focus on aesthetics so much, and it's not blue because blue sucks
FuZ
tfw never used skype
Cyclohexane
anything is better than skype

hell i was advocating for fucking Tox over skype
-Makishima S-
TFW i use skype only because my work require this.

IRC >>> skype
IRC >>> all

I don't even know what's discord, probably another copy&paste of slack, not a fun of this kind of apps.
Nameless
skoop is shart
insert shitpost here
discord is better
puccithecat
probably
Cyclohexane

[Taiga] wrote:

TFW i use skype only because my work require this.

IRC >>> skype
IRC >>> all

I don't even know what's discord, probably another copy&paste of slack, not a fun of this kind of apps.

irc doesn't have voIP though
Aurani
There is one reason why you should never compare Skype to any other VoIP and that is the fact that it's made for video calls and business group calls, not weeb gamers.

You see, Skype is shit at managing big groups of people and has serious memleak issues on top of a myriad of bugs that Microsoft just doesn't want to fix for shit, BUT the sheer reliability of the program and the fact that it has such call quality is what makes me use it to this day. You can't beat the fact that Skype somehow still works when your ISP goes to shit and cuts your Internet, as if it was running on magic, whilst other programs spontaneously combust.

Discord is primarily meant to be a big group call program, where you can manage even multiple big groups without any issues, so the ONLY way to compare it to Skype is its sound quality. I personally don't use Discord so I can't claim that Skype is better or worse, but so far compared to other programs I've used, Skype took the cake in the sound quality department below the 50-hour call mark. After 50 hours, it's another story altogether.

Most of the shit arguments I see about any VoIP is fanboyism. X is better because my mum says so.
DeletedUser_7520443
blue is great how dare you :V
abraker
I still use skype because non of my skype contacts use discord. I wish they used discord, but they are still stuck in the old era where Windows XP was a thing. If there was an option to use my skype contacts in discord, I would mutilate my skype in a heartbeat.
Yuudachi-kun
I have both
Cyclohexane

Aurani wrote:

There is one reason why you should never compare Skype to any other VoIP and that is the fact that it's made for video calls and business group calls, not weeb gamers.

You see, Skype is shit at managing big groups of people and has serious memleak issues on top of a myriad of bugs that Microsoft just doesn't want to fix for shit, BUT the sheer reliability of the program and the fact that it has such call quality is what makes me use it to this day. You can't beat the fact that Skype somehow still works when your ISP goes to shit and cuts your Internet, as if it was running on magic, whilst other programs spontaneously combust.

Discord is primarily meant to be a big group call program, where you can manage even multiple big groups without any issues, so the ONLY way to compare it to Skype is its sound quality. I personally don't use Discord so I can't claim that Skype is better or worse, but so far compared to other programs I've used, Skype took the cake in the sound quality department below the 50-hour call mark. After 50 hours, it's another story altogether.

Most of the shit arguments I see about any VoIP is fanboyism. X is better because my mum says so.
skype uses p2p instead of connecting to a server that's the difference.
also most big companies develop their own VoIP solution
abraker

Mr Color wrote:

Then why the fuck is the quality of audio I get in skype worse than the quality of video I can stream on Youtube???
Aurani
I don't know what kind of forest you live in to have a shitty audio quality (unless you're in a 100+ hour call with 4 other people) mate. I haven't had any audio quality problems for years now, and trust me, I'd have ditched Skype a long time ago solely based on audio quality, had it been shit. I can't stand it if I talk to another person and can't hold a proper conversation.
Mahogany
The only reason to even remain on skype is for the people who don't have discord yet

Discord is superior in every way

Also OP fucking reply to my PM and shit
FuZ
skype is for normies
Flanster
nop
chaee
my friends and i stopped using discord because it constantly dc's and the audio quality is just shit compared to skype, so i would think not
Upskirt

Mahogany wrote:

The only reason to even remain on skype is for the people who don't have discord yet

Discord is superior in every way

Also OP fucking reply to my PM and shit
TFW Skype demographic is not aimed at "gamers".
Mahogany
Even for non-gaming use Discord is still superior to skype
Lacrimae
skype is shit except for its sound quality
that's it
Cyclohexane

abraker wrote:

Mr Color wrote:

Then why the fuck is the quality of audio I get in skype worse than the quality of video I can stream on Youtube???

dude
codecs
lmao
show more