forum

Poll 32: Do you map? Do you plan to map?

posted
Total Posts

Do you map? Do you plan to map?

I do not plan on mapping.
16.00%
I plan on mapping sometime in the future.
43.82%
I currently map actively.
35.12%
I no longer map.
5.05%
Total votes: 931
Polling ended
show more
Yuudachi-kun

Anxient wrote:

or maybe coz memes
Is everything a meme to you now or can you not understand I hate the community
Elira
still mapping actively tbh =w=
Anxient

Khelly wrote:

Anxient wrote:

or maybe coz memes
Is everything a meme to you now or can you not understand I hate the community
i understand why you hate it and i added memes to one of the reasons why. is something wrong
zenithlight

Grim Rapper wrote:

The only thing that prevent me for mapping (because I'm no professional)is mainly:
1. Manual BPM setting (so tedious, is there any alternative I wonder...)
2. Abbreviation and other things that I didn't understand(SV, 1/2, 1/3 I don't understand)
3. There's so many things to do, but can't really tell the actual phase of it (like step-by-step or something)
4. Unwritten rule about certain things (maintaining the flow, set a fitting AR, CS, and OD for each difficulty [FAQ is not related], and other)

Is there anything that can help me solve this problem, then I'll map right away
The first one is something you can solve, by using a bpm analyzer. It's sometimes not accurate, but gets a good bpm pretty often, from what I hear.

The second one I think can't be solved. For any task, words people will use a lot will become abbreviated, it's just life. But normally you can ask the person about it and they'll tell you. (Oh, and just for completeness: SV = slider velocity, how fast the slider goes. 1/2 and 1/3 refer to a number of beats, e.g. half a beat, one-third of a beat, etc.)

For the most part I agree with the rest of your post. Mapping if you're new is like swimming for the first time and being pushed off a 12-foot diving board. I know of a couple people who are putting in effort to make the mapping community a better place for new mappers, and others who have expressed interest in creating tutorial series to help people learn technique. I'm far from experienced, but if I had any advice to give, it would be focusing on creating something that's fun for you, instead of basing your opinion on your work on what other people think about it.
Monstrata
If you're planning on mapping, I wonder what's been stopping you from pursuing it so far ;o.

Timing can be quite a hurdle for new mappers, but I recently discovered statementreply's timing analyzer: https://osu.ppy.sh/u/126198. It's surprisingly accurate when the song is a single bpm but won't work as well on variable bpm songs. (Generally speaking though, mapping variable-bpm songs as your first map isn't the best idea)

I'm hoping to see more new faces in the qualified section xD. I can't really name any "2016 mappers" that weren't also 2015/2014 mappers aswell.
[Paradoxum]

Monstrata wrote:

If you're planning on mapping, I wonder what's been stopping you from pursuing it so far ;o.

Timing can be quite a hurdle for new mappers, but I recently discovered statementreply's timing analyzer: https://osu.ppy.sh/u/126198. It's surprisingly accurate when the song is a single bpm but won't work as well on variable bpm songs. (Generally speaking though, mapping variable-bpm songs as your first map isn't the best idea)

I'm hoping to see more new faces in the qualified section xD. I can't really name any "2016 mappers" that weren't also 2015/2014 mappers aswell.

Mapping is good, and fun. But maybe, people often aim making it rank or qualify. While some just want to map for the justice in not finding a good mapset, some focus on getting "fruits on their labor" or something like that XD
LastExceed
I map alot, but I find it very hard to find modders (or even playtesters o.O) for hard mania 4k maps .-.
Ayesha Altugle

Monstrata wrote:

I happen to use that program since the past 1 or 2 years.
ouranhshc
ehh, mapping is fun. except the ranking part of it
Sharkie
Back into mapping since my pc has been fixed~
Yuudachi-kun

Anxient wrote:

i understand why you hate it and i added memes to one of the reasons why. is something wrong
That the term meme is overused and that that would be one of your presumed reasons because apparently it exists?
Misericorde
I'm new but I don't really have any plans to do mapping
Pituophis
I try to map sometimes. Not very good at it, though.
Yoges
Currently mapping more than playing.
felys
mapping started as a fun thing when I was bored with playing but then became an interesting thing to follow and practice with
Xayler
Started to map actively around a month ago. Currently trying to achieve my first ranked map which seems to be a hell of a hard achievement to get so far.
Winnie
soontm
12Jan21
I map right now... but I map something, that some (actually all from cz & sk) people call "shitmaps"... C:
Pope Gadget
I chart a decent amount for osu!mania, albeit mainly stupid tournament warmups, but on occasion it's a serious thing.
I'd probably do it more-so if the editor wasn't to be so annoying to use, yet that's why I'm anticipating osu!next.

Trying to find willing playtesters is a pain, though, without trying to annoy people.
Chupalika
I map mostly for myself for fun, and because osu needs more video game songs :)
I'd also love to get them ranked but ranking is such a pain...
Bara-
Mapping since 3 years ago
Had a break (no inspiration) 2 months ago, but I'm back now ^_^
Secretpipe
baraisbackbois
Score_Under
I tried mapping, but I never submitted it. I've seen how some high-profile maps that I'd call absolutely flawless get unranked again and again, so as a complete newbie what chance do I ever have of getting something ranked? It's a complete waste of time, so I'm not sure if I actually want to map anything.
xch00F
I stick to mapping strictly for o!m
don't really enjoy playing anymore but mapping has always been therapeutic for me and I enjoy mapping esoteric and just generally leftfield music
Topic Starter
Nyquill
Thanks to everyone who participated!