forum

[Tutorial] osu!mania Mapping

posted
Total Posts
show more
Bad Apple
dis sux
why u do dis
jk, glad you finally posted it. I'm sure a lot of people will benefit from a guide like this, especially now, since so many new mappers have popped up over the last few months!

Great work 10/10 BN, we need more people that dedicate as much time to the community as you do.
Apple
Vulkin
HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE

HYPE
Zetera
Das ist die QAT-Doktorarbeit!
juankristal
Time to give this a look, seems to be great! I would like to suggest to change the tittle to something that induces the interested people in 4K (because this is a 4K guide for what I am seeing)

EDIT: Now that I read this I can see some stuff that can be improved (such as adding more names to some specific patterns like jumptrill or a clearer definition of bursts) and I am willing to translate this for spanish as well. I also believe I can work out with ztrot about making a specific video for each particular "pattern" at least for 4K, explaining shortly how to use it or when to use it just in case that people dont get the idea at a 100% (with examples as well). I believe a mania mapping guide is a HUGE thing and its really hard to cover everything in one post so I also believe we can set up more guides in the future about more in deep stuff (or specific stuff). This, as a "how to start?" is an awesome guide, really general. Congratz Feerum as always, you did a great job.
Daikyi
http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz ... p?t=115282

many of the nomenclature in the above thread is kinda taken from DDR, but there's a lot of misdefined things in your definitions imo - the ffr picture dictionary covers a lot of ground where i think you miss-defined things

Keep in mind, since FFR is still influenced by DDR, doubles are known as "jumps", triples are "hands" etc. (also, the distinction between doubles and triples is there instead of just saying "chords" for everything)

there's probably some unnecessary stuff that you wouldn't need to care about in the link above (runningmen, crossovers), and some patterns that aren't addressed in either (anchored patterns, different types of stream [i.e. indexable stream vs. spread oriented])
juankristal

Daikyi wrote:

http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=115282

many of the nomenclature in the above thread is kinda taken from DDR, but there's a lot of misdefined things in your definitions imo - the ffr picture dictionary covers a lot of ground where i think you miss-defined things

Keep in mind, since FFR is still influenced by DDR, doubles are known as "jumps", triples are "hands" etc. (also, the distinction between doubles and triples is there instead of just saying "chords" for everything)

there's probably some unnecessary stuff that you wouldn't need to care about in the link above (runningmen, crossovers), and some patterns that aren't addressed in either (anchored patterns, different types of stream [i.e. indexable stream vs. spread oriented])
While those that you point are fine, I dont think this is a guide that should cover THAT much. As I said in my previous post I believe we should focus more in a beginner how to map/how to start with the most general stuff. We can always work later in a "how to map certain stuff?" in my opinion. Also this guide is all keymodes (at least in the basic introductions) so using "chords" for everything makes sense in my opinion. Although it can be added as an index like "in 4K you threat doubles as jumps because of the nature of the pump it up blablabla".
Evening
"Try to avoid vocal mapping! While mapping vocals might work in standard kinda well, it doesn’t play well in osu!mania. You should always try to follow the music and instruments as best as possible. Of course you can add notes for vocals but do not overdo it. Follow the rhythm of the music, not the rhythm of the voice!"

i'm sorry, what
Davin Fortune

Evening wrote:

"Try to avoid vocal mapping! While mapping vocals might work in standard kinda well, it doesn’t play well in osu!mania. You should always try to follow the music and instruments as best as possible. Of course you can add notes for vocals but do not overdo it. Follow the rhythm of the music, not the rhythm of the voice!"

i'm sorry, what
Many new mapper who doenst have much knowledge in mapping while mapping a map which use vocal song will end in mapping the vocal

And they will just ignore other instrument

By the way i think burst is a shorten stair which has no gap between with other note
I think the burst that written is called as spam
And stair is stair pattern but has gap in it
Correct me if im wrong
Evening
mapping the vocals are fine, i have no idea what you guys are on about

most vocal oriented songs are fine if you want to map the vocals

give me evidence that vocal mapping is never fine, else you might as well delete that statement in the guide as it falsely tells people that vocal mapping is (edit: always) a bad idea
lenpai
I do have to agree that the statement about vocal mapping is very misleading and i heavily go against it

Although I do think vocal mapping is just not suggested for newer mappers since they would have to juggle a lot of stuff with proper column placement and knowing when to drop and not drop vocals for that nice flow and more 1/(2<n) snap usage which can actually be very annoying

I've come from a background where laning is suggested as a starting technique and when new mappers go for strict laning, vocals turn out really weird to play, at least for 7k

example from a different game:

col 1-3 = drum rolls and stuff
col 4-7 = vocals
Topic Starter
Feerum
Hey!

Thanks so far for the feedback.
I agree with you guys, maybe my words are bad chosen.
I also talked with some people in discord about it and i will rework that vocal thing, sorry for this.

Also it would be cool when you guys would not focus only on this and give some more feedback.
Don't misunderstood me i'm happy about every feedback i could get but not everyone should focus on this vocal thing.

Will rework it soon :)
Shoegazer
Going to read through the entire guide and point out things that don't really make sense to me, pardon the potenteial extremely huge wall of text.

SPOILER
Content
Density Graph:
To be perfectly honest, I made this term up since I don’t know its actual name. What you can observe over here is the density of individual parts in the map. The harder a part is, the bigger the bar inside this graph. If a part has reached its biggest considerable density, the bar for said section will turn pink and it will range from the left to right rim of the line. Make sure this does not occur too often, as less than 30-40% of the map should contain pink bars! To emphasize the magnitude of pink bars on the star rating (SR): This maps SR is 4.1.
This is almost entirely incorrect - you would be right situationally. The density graph is on an absolute scale, not a relative scale. This means that once a section reaches a certain density threshold, it will always appear pink. It doesn't matter as to whether or not the rest of the sections are 40 NPS (i.e. much denser) or 5 NPS (i.e. nowhere as dense), the bars will be pink.

The density graph is bordering useless in a sense, since it will mainly be useful for charts that are of a particular difficulty range (probably mid Insane at most?) and you want to check for NPS consistency. The 30%-40% rule of thumb doesn't make sense either, it all depends on the song itself. I'm not sure if most songs have a climax that lasts for 30%-40% of the entire song, but that seems way way too high. Most choruses last for about 15%-20% combined, maybe except for TV sizes in which it'd last for 25%. We don't usually chart TV sizes though, so 20% is probably better if you want a solid figure. I don't think a rule of thumb is needed for this - basically the question should be "does the density of this section (that is measured through the density bars) make sense relative to the entire track?".

You can even add own difficulty names. The only important part of the naming process is that the chosen names have to show a clear indication of their difficulty.
This does not apply to marathon maps.
Missing information. "This does not apply to both the highest difficulty of the mapset (this includes marathons - maps that are of 5:00 drain time or longer)."

HP drain/OD section
It would be a good idea to give rules of thumb on how high the HP drain/ODs of certain difficulty ranges should be. Also always point out that it's ultimately a guideline and should be adjusted accordingly based on the song itself (usually the scarier/more tense it is, the higher the OD and/or HP drain).

I also would like to show you a little program that can be really helpful to find the right BPM really fast. It is called MixMeister BPM Analyzer. This program will show you the average BPM of your song. It has just one weak point. It can not show you multiple BPM. It will show you the average BPM of all BPM points in your song. To say it simple: It helps with single BPM only. You can search for it on Google or just click here.
That weak point is a very big weak point - and it's worth emphasising. It's also much better to place this right below the single BPM section rather than the multiple BPM section, because like you said, MixMeister only works with single BPM tracks. There's also the fact that MixMeister would potentially give you a BPM that isn't a whole number - which is usually wrong as most tracks these days have whole number BPMs.

You could probably mention that most electronic songs have whole number BPMs somewhere in the timing component, actually.

Explaining what a long note is
Playing and charting are intertwined - so you have to elaborate on the mechanic of the long note as well.

Explaining what a burst is
Not really the best explanation. A burst is basically a short rhythm that is noticeably faster than the general rhythms of the song (maybe you can give an example like say, a 1/8 rhythm in a song that's predominantly 1/4s). You can also talk about the fact that "bursts" could potentially be significantly harder than the rest of the chart, so it's up to the charter to find the ideal pattern for a given rhythm. (this is a bit of a complicated explanation however, so try to water it down kinda)

Explaining what a stream is
Streams are usually 1/4 or higher - inclusive of 1/4 rhythms. In your post, you wrote that streams are mainly rhythms that are faster than 1/4, not inclusive of 1/4 rhythms. Also prefer include the term staircase along with zigzag - since both terms are interchangeable and the former is actually more commonly used. The part about being able to chart up to "1/8 streams" contradict what you said about only charting what the track provides - so you might want to edit that.

Explaining what a stair is
This is more of a pattern configuration rather than a pattern itself. You COULD have this section, but I find this section a bit offplace compared to the rest of the patterns listed. If you do want to include it, also include the term "rolls" with stairs as the term "roll" is quite commonly used as well. Rolls are also more commonly used for 1/8s rather than 1/4s because they are normally used for bursts (as most songs are also predominantly 1/4 rhythm based), since rolls are also the easiest pattern configuration to hit compared to any other stream pattern.

Explaining what a jack is
The part about being able to chart up to "1/6 jacks" contradict what you said about only charting what the track provides. I think the main thing you need to mention is that jacks at a given speed are much harder than streams of the same speed (you probably won't need to elaborate on this), so it's better to use them sparsely (both in length and frequency) and only in rhythms that are relatively slow, as using jacks incorrectly could potentially create an unwarranted difficulty spike.

Think most of the things about allowing certain patterns to be charted up to a certain rhythm is unnecessary in general - it creates a good amount of misinterpretations and arbitrary rule following. It's necessary to elaborate as to whether or not a certain pattern would be harder at a certain tempo than another pattern of the same tempo for sure, and listing down whatever snap it should be at is not the way to do it.

For example, a trill is harder than a conventional stream because finger movemen is not as nicely distributed. This causes the player to tense (for the lack of a better term) up more to hit the pattern, creating difficulty to hit.

It really helps when you use the 25% playback rate a lot while mapping.
50% should be enough for most songs (since most song structures are rather simple), but yeah 25% works to some extent. Perhaps mention 25%-50%, rather than just 25%.

Maps for approval are not affected of this rule!
Clarify what "maps for approval" are here. While you and I know what they are, most new mappers do not.

While creating a full spread, it is very important to look at the pattern spread, not at the star rating! It can happen that the star rating becomes really high just because of one really dense part in your map.
You have to elaborate more as to why you shouldn't always follow the star rating system. Or rather, maybe briefly talk about how the SR system mainly works, which mainly takes into consideration the maximum density of a chart. That will explain why certain maps seem extremely underrated and some that are very overrated (such as Capsaicin).

Be consistent! What does that mean? Do not use different kinds of patterns for exactly the same sound in your map. As an example; if you use a chord for drums or snare, keep it like that! Do not change it to a single note later on.
First, change "sound" to "rhythm" or "section".

Second, there are exceptions to the rule. If you follow your charting scheme and you end up with a certain pattern that is much harder than the rest of the chart, you are allowed to break away from the consistency. For example, let's say that you're charting a particular mix of sounds as a triple. You then have a 1/8 roll and ending with that particular mix of sounds. Having a triple there will increase the difficulty of the chart gradually, as it creates a minijack. If you make it a double, the minijack will not be present, making the pattern easier.

Try to avoid vocal mapping! While mapping vocals might work in standard kinda well, it doesn’t play well in osu!mania. You should always try to follow the music and instruments as best as possible. Of course you can add notes for vocals but do not overdo it. Follow the rhythm of the music, not the rhythm of the voice!
This is going to be a very long point because the misconception has been going for way too long and it makes me upset that it has.

There are two reasons as to why "mapping vocals" has been frowned upon. The first reason is because there was a time in which vocals do not align with the percussion/rest of the instrumentation, so charting vocals would make the chart unnecessarily difficult to both map and play. However, vocals that do not align with the percussion rarely happen these days - if never at all as metronomes exist in studios.

The other reason is because people chart vocals poorly. I'm not pointing at particular charters, but the common misconception comes with the fact that people tend to have the idea of placing a note whenever there is a sound - regardless of emphasis. This ends up with extremely overlayered charts - most of which is caused by the fact that people place sounds over vocals AND percussion. This is most likely why this misconception has been a thing for so long.

I do think that LAYERING IN vocals is a bad thing when it comes to Extras or high Insanes, and are better represented through something like pitch relevancy, but for NMs and EZs, layering vocals is probably one of the best things you can do because it's the main thing that people hear. Not charting the vocals despite vocals being the forefront of a song while the chart in general is not very dense is ignoring the essence of the song. LAYERING vocals is ultimately encouraged for sections in which they are a lot lighter, or if you are intending to chart a section in a very light manner. If you want to accentuate the vocals in a dense section, you use pitch relevancy - not layering.

Now back to our original program:
Easy charting section
I agree with the 1/1 section and the sparse 1/2 section and generally the rest. The very fundamental thing you should be mentioning is charting whatever is most prominent however - this includes generally vocals and longer sounds - which is something you didn't mention I think. Perhaps also mention about keeping LNs at a low level? There should be more circles/notes than LNs in Easy difficulties.

Bit of an off-shoot, but at the end of the day I think you should just be mentioning the fact that you basically have more leeway as to how much you can chart a song based on difficulty level. For example you can start with charting an Insane, and if you want to make a Hard you have to remove a particular layer and potentially change any patterns that are too spiky, then if you want to make a Normal you have to remove another layer and change certain patterning and so on and so far. Kinda like peeling an onion.

Insane/Extra charting section
You also have to mention that most songs don't really call for Insane or Extra difficulties, so it's best to not force the creation of a certain difficulty. At the Insane/Extra level, it's all about letting the chart "write itself", so to speak. You shouldn't be trying to create arbitrary difficulty by making certain sounds chords. You can make patterns hard when needed, since patterns affect difficulty less than layering, but you still have to be reasonable.

Maybe list down some songs that could make for Insanes/Extras as a rule of thumb? I can provide a couple if needed.

I don't know anything about hitsounds so I'll skip that.

SV = Average BPM / Current BPM
Average should be "mode", maybe provide a link to explain what "mode" is for anyone who is uncertain - it's not a common term.

styles
Examples, examples, examples. Most new charters won't be able to visualise charting styles without listing down certain maps that have this certain "style of charting".

For DCP charting, I recommend Daikyi's Bokutachi no Tabi no Epilogue, highly PR-based and very musically relevant - this is more visible in charts like this because the dynamics of the track are extremely clear. A more subtle example would be Fullerene's quatre mains. Super PR-based, not too much consideration for playability but still very reasonably playable.

Something that is more NB/Yolomania-based would probably be Staiain's Candy Galy[ - not much attention to the music itself other than for layering purposes, patterning is made to be quite fluent as a whole. One thing to point out that this "style of charting" is quite flexible though, and you could easily put your own flair into it. I guess a more developed form would be something like Tidek's burn this moment into the retina of my eye and my When I Think About You I Cut Myself chart. Tidek's chart uses a good amount of pitch relevancy combined with abrasive pattern choices - making the chart very difficult to score on. When I Think About You emphasises a good amount on finger motion - harsher rhythms are usually interpreted as two hand trills as it creates more motion than normal broken jumpstreams.

Both of which emphasise a lot on certain finger motions. In When I Think About You, lots of two hand trills are used to emphasise harsher sounding rhythms, while in Calamity Fortune, there are certain patterns in which minijacks are used to accentuate a certain sound, as minijacks force players to use a more noticeable muscle to hit the pattern, usually the wrist. A non-minijack would cause the player to use their fingers instead, which might not have that much emphasis.

nitpicking
This is where I list down things that bother me but won't affect your guide in the grand scheme of things. It's just a couple of things that might leave the reader confused because you either create an unnecessary loose end or you have too much information.

Lots of grammar issues/redundant content. Generally minor nitpicking, I can make a proofread version after you respond to this post (and maybe Evening's). There's also a good amount of absolutes used, though I can see that they are unintentional. Easily amendable - so it's not too much of an issue.

1.) Mapping Area:
This is where you place your objects. It is divided into different columns, | 0 | 1 | 2 | 3 | in this case. These are the numbers the editor works with, though many people prefer to use | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | when modding. This is not relevant for now, though.
It's better that you explain why people use 1234 rather than 0123 - maybe something short like "it's a more intuitive way of counting" or "most people prefer to start with the number 1 rather than 0 when they're counting".

7.) Beat Snap Divisor:
A very important tool, especially in mania. Here, you can select in which beat snap you want to map. The default setting is always ¼ and this is the one you should basically use.
Change the word "basically" to "normally".

But don’t forget: Map what you hear! Map 1/3, 1/4, 1/6, etc. only when the song also provides it! Don’t add a random 1/6 burst into your map. This is unrankable.
Preferably better if you rephrase this. Something like "However, if you want to get your map ranked, only map what you hear! Add 1/3, 1/4, 1/6 rhythms only when the song calls for it! Adding 1/6 bursts when the song does not call for it is unrankable."

1.3 Alright! I want to Map!
Now we know how the editor exactly works and we know how to place notes. Should something still be unclear; read it again! You have all time in the world! If you have understood everything we can directly jump to point 2, the basics! This is where i will explain the song setup and how to time your beatmap!
Probably better to remove the part about "knowing how the editor exactly works" and just leave it as "now we know how to place notes in the editor". You might also want to mention that when you first open a song the Song Setup screen will pop up and say that you will explain the Song Setup section from there.

Difficulty: Here you have to give your difficulty a name. The standard difficulty names for osu!mania are “EZ”, “NM”, “HD”, “MX”, “SC” and “SHD”, but you are not forced to use these! If your song is from an other game you can use the difficulty names of that game! For example Sound Voltex, which uses the following names for their respective difficulties: “Basic, Novice, Advanced, Exhaust, Infinite, Gravity”.
Capitalise the SDVX difficulties please. They're driving me nuts. :(

Inherited Point: The inherited points are also called “Green Lines”. These points are used to add “effects” to your map. With these, you can change the volume, the sample set, the slider velocity (SV) and you can add a Kiai-Time.
"Inherited Point" should be in plural. You didn't really explain what "effects" are either, so it's best to note that you will be explaining those later on. The main thing that people will use this for is for normalisation of scroll speed, so it's best to primarily mention the SV concept more than anything else.

Never use more than six notes at once though, because this is against the Ranking Criteria.
Replace "never" to "you can't", "because" with "as".

Notice: This is still a Guideline! It shows the basics of mapping and how it can be in the best case. Of course you don’t have to follow this guide 1:1!
Should be a bit clearer in your first sentence and say that what you're going to say from here is going to be "guidelines" and should not be taken as actual rules and that you don't need to (and probably won't need to) follow the guidelines verbatim.

And now I would like to explain how to map in best case each difficulty, from Easy to Insane.
Bordering "absolute" phrasing. Perhaps rephrase to something like "Now I'll explain the general guidelines on what to chart for particular difficulties, ranging from Easy to Extras."

Think that's most of it, not too sure.
OnosakiHito
Sticking this post.
Zan-
where is Zan's Style Mapping

lol jk, good one tho
arviejhay
few ideas for o2jam.
Change "o2 Jam" to "O2Jam", i'm too picky
most o2jam charts that i played, um. . . most of them have unique patterns, mostly use bpm changes, it ignores some sounds for patterns,
you should see this.
Rivals_7
worth to read. Nicely done!

may I translate this to indonesian? :D
Akasha-

Evening wrote:

i'm sorry, what
didn't really argee with this point as Evening already said it clear enough
for example: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/435430
will i igrone all the awesome vocals and only mapped with kick snare for from the start to the end? haha, no.

and also nice guide so far, love it
[ A v a l o n ]
talking about O2Jam, i don't really know much about that
but sometimes i saw much extreme chart from that, and uncontrol-able LN's and BPM changes and sometimes ignores some sounds for patterns
maybe some of them are "unofficial chart" that made from someone just for fun on private server
hmm, better to not refer to something like that (unofficial chart) maybe . . . just for keep the quality of our rhythm game (osu!mania)
correct me if i wrong

talking about style, i don't really know about Stepmania, BMS, O2Jam, and many more like that (maybe because i'm original o!m people lol)
but nevermind, every person have different taste, and it's just an advanced knowledge for them . . .
at least your beatmap good at plays with music, have a well-designed pattern, consistent, right hitsounded, and of course it have a "soul"
it just fine

and owh yeah . . .
very nice thread Feerum :D
Ayachi-

Evening wrote:

mapping the vocals are fine, i have no idea what you guys are on about

most vocal oriented songs are fine if you want to map the vocals

give me evidence that vocal mapping is never fine, else you might as well delete that statement in the guide as it falsely tells people that vocal mapping is (edit: always) a bad idea
Lol I agree with this, don't see what's wrong with vocal mapping
Topic Starter
Feerum
Ahhh please stop complain about that vocal thing, i will change it, i promise xD

today evening i will rework some parts depend on the feedback here. Thanks all :D
Is here by the way someone who could write the Keysounding part? D:

[ A v a l o n ] wrote:

talking about style, i don't really know about Stepmania, BMS, O2Jam, and many more like that (maybe because i'm original o!m people lol)
but nevermind, every person have different taste, and it's just an advanced knowledge for them . . .
at least your beatmap good at plays with music, have a well-designed pattern, consistent, right hitsounded, and of course it have a "soul"
it just fine
That's why i want to add these here. I want that people who don't know about these game's begin to understand these styles. They are also part of this game, even when a little bit different because of the current RC
IamBaum
Holy... Feerum the length alone is already amazing, really great job on this
Aqo

Feerum wrote:

The average BPM of your map is always the number in brackets that you can find in the song select menu on the top-left beside the BPM.
You take this number and divide it by the current BPM. What you will get is the SV you need to set with a Inherited Point at exactly the same timing as the BPM change.
I would like to point out that this isn't average bpm. It's the most common bpm.

If your map is 75% 180bpm and 25% 60bpm, the number displayed will be 180. However the average here is 150.
Kaito-kun
Well, I'll help a bit in here.

Firstly:

Feerum wrote:

The Silver Velocity
Shouldn't it be "Slider Velocity"? XD (located at the very start of the Slider Velocity section)

I remember there was another typo I noticed while I was reading, but can't find it now lol.

Now, about the actual guide, only thing I think should be further explained is the Stepmania section in the Mapping Styles section. For example, I only know what NB5 and Yolomania 4 is because I myself play some Stepmania from time to time, but someone new may don't even know what those acronyms mean (for example, I don't even know what does DCP/LCP stand for). At least say that those are famous Stepmania packs or something like that. Of course, this wouldn't help the player be a better mapper, but it's always good to have that knowledge.

Also, it would be pretty good if you were to add some examples of each game's mapping styles. Something like a list of maps that are of that specific game's style so that the reader gets a more visual example of what each style is about. Of course, each map shown as an example doesn't really need to be ranked, but should be rankable (in the way that it doesn't has any ghost notes or exaggerated patterns or something like that), since a bad example may lead to a wrong idea of the style (I would give some examples, but I consider someone more knowledgeable in Stepmania as me should instead).

Another tiny thing I thing you should add is say that BPM is acronym for "Beat per Minute", as every single mapper I try to explain about mapping ends up asking what does BPM stands for and what exactly is BPM. So adding that info should be a plus to the guide, considering timing is overall the trickiest section for a new mapper.

Finally, I'm willing to help translate the guide to spanish, so if you should need any help with the translation, don't hesitate to call me (I saw juankristal wanting to do the same, but I guess I can sorta help too XD).

That's all. Pretty nice guide, even I learned some things while reading through it, and it's definitely a good guide to show a begginer when he/she decides to start mapping. Keep up the good work :D
MEGAtive
Neat tutorial. It's a must-read tutorial for new mappers.

Actually, 5K+1 is 6K with special keymode setting turned on. It's based on long-retired BEMANI game beatmania III. And scratch terms are actually come from IIDX.
Davin Fortune
Maybe after get the BPM, the mapper should hear the bpm from the beginning until the end. The normal case is that when they get the right bpm in the beginning but they dont see it until the end of the song. So they will ignore the BPM change in other that they dont notice it
Evening
might want to add:

- How to get a map ranked

-- How many mods do you need
-- Star priority
-- BNs/QATs & the system

modify/amend:

- Considering your examples are mostly based on 4k, you might want to separate them to 4/7/Xk, some more patterns here, italic means it isn't important:

-- Inverse 4/7k
-- Brackets 7k
-- Graces 4/7k
-- Anchors 4/7k (Might want to emphasize how using this too much will make it annoying to play)
-- Handstreams/Quadstreams (might want to just append it on the jumpstream box to conserve space)
-- Mini-LNs 4/7k
-- Rolls 4/7k (Very fast streams patterned in a way that they don't really play like shit basically)
-- etc etc
puxtu
You don't even know what burst is and you call yourself a BN lmfao. You're just another marirose that waiting to happen.
JamesHappy
What about 9K PMS style mapping? Wow no one mentions about it.
Shoegazer

puxtu wrote:

You don't even know what burst is lmfao. You're just another marirose that waiting to happen.
Instead of baiting someone hoping to get an overreaction in which the person would get in trouble for, people would recommend you to drop the condescension/passive-aggression and give a solid definition as to what a burst is.

There's no need to alienate yourself from other people and create arbitrary "sides" since we all have the same goal of wanting everyone to get the foundations of charting down.

Kaito-kun wrote:

Now, about the actual guide, only thing I think should be further explained is the Stepmania section in the Mapping Styles section. For example, I only know what NB5 and Yolomania 4 is because I myself play some Stepmania from time to time, but someone new may don't even know what those acronyms mean (for example, I don't even know what does DCP/LCP stand for). At least say that those are famous Stepmania packs or something like that. Of course, this wouldn't help the player be a better mapper, but it's always good to have that knowledge.
I can definitely help out with this, but again we'd also want to make it simple to understand and to cut down on the unnecessary information. Maybe we could have a spoilerbox for anyone who wants to know more about the charting style's history/descriptions, think that should suffice.
Ciel
@Zen's additions:

I kinda think that you don't necessarily need to talk about the ranking process in this tutorial? You already somewhat cover it in your FAQ anyways, so this could be aimed at just general mapping instead of specifically for o!m.

Anyways I don't really have anything useful to contribute here yet (haven't had the energy to read through the wall), so I'm done for now.

EDIT: Actually, Feerum, I'm not sure about the general consensus, but it would be nice if you could reduce the amount of whitespace in your post. It makes it look really bulky, and is somewhat annoying when I have to look down a lot more than I would need to to actually read stuff.
Evening

Ciel wrote:

@Zen's additions:

I kinda think that you don't necessarily need to talk about the ranking process in this tutorial? You already somewhat cover it in your FAQ anyways, so this could be aimed at just general mapping instead of specifically for o!m.

Anyways I don't really have anything useful to contribute here yet (haven't had the energy to read through the wall), so I'm done for now.

EDIT: Actually, Feerum, I'm not sure about the general consensus, but it would be nice if you could reduce the amount of whitespace in your post. It makes it look really bulky, and is somewhat annoying when I have to look down a lot more than I would need to to actually read stuff.
yea i guess it's covered in that :p

anyways, it's possible to box most of these (without double-boxing which works horrible on this site) so as to make it tight, makes it look neater and less bulky
Kyousuke-

Feerum wrote:

1. Adding more different Pattern.
Heya, i would help out a bit about the pattern section.
First, i want to pointing something from the original post

Stream
Here we can see the Stream, mapped in a zigzag way. The stream is mostly used for sounds that are faster than 1/4. You can map (depending on the BPM of your song) streams up to 1/8! As an example: You have a fast piano-part in your song that changes the pitch fast from deep to high? Than use a stream!
as you see on the picture, i think its more called 'Reverting stairs'. Yea actually there are still many other types that can be categorized, but generally stream is random notes putted in 1/4 for me. (ex: http://puu.sh/o6HuK/02b7b0f0f5.png; yea it looks similiar with the burst pic, but the burst beat density is should be higher than the stream imo)

Also you can group the similiar type of pattern in one box, since you want to adding more different pattern. (so it won't looks too many and confusing lol)
Example, source

Long Note: Shields, LN walls, lifts, Inverse LN (more applicable in 7K)
Stairs: Reverting stairs, Symmetrically layered stairs (more applicable in 7K), Double Stairs (more applicable in 7K), Ladders (more applicable in 7K),
Chord: Chord trill, Chord jack
Jack: Jackhammer, Minijacks
Stream: Jumpstream, Chordstream (more applicable in 7K)

and many more types of pattern! (as pointed on evening's post)
MEGAtive
Going to add something into this thread.

http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz ... p?t=127628
This thread covers patterns terminology that's used in StepMania. Some of the terminology are also used in other rhythm games as well so I think it's a pretty good foundation for mappers who don't know any mapping terminology.
Sarahkuai
souka.... chord is double note <(")
arviejhay
i think in O2Jam style, it's ok to put notes as vocals or vocals as notes. But not too much.
Raediaufar
A really nice tutorial for beginners. However ther are some things that you might want to add like "what is kiai and how to use it" and "how to set your preview point". Well, even these things maybe are already in the mapping basic on wiki but it's good to add them here as well.

You also might want to link some threads that might be useful in osumania mapping such as SV Changes Guide

And as the pattern examples, you can refer to the link that MEGAtive was post but just add the common pattern. And please add pattern screenshot on 7k as well since 7k mapping is also common.
Davin Fortune
The picture on jack hammer is normal jack
The one i want to say is hammer pattern
I can't post any picture for the pattern cause im using my phone, but you can try to see from beatmap Qrispy Joybox - licaa which in victorica's 4K Hard in the middle part which the combination from chord jack which happen after the chord and followed by a note after it, then come with the chord also jacked with the note before it
Maybe u can find in the middle of the song
lenpai
Here's some input on what i know

o2jam:
Both official charts and custom charts do not give consideration to slower speed scrollers when using speed changes (look at Death Moon for official map) (not sure on custom charts though)
Is dumpy to some extent and keeps note flow consistently even w/o any significant sound for the note
Custom charts use LNs more aggressively
High level custom charts uses chordstreams and brackets A LOT even though it isnt needed in relation to the song which is simply forced difficulty
Custom charts frequently use 7 button chords
Haven't played a lot of o2jam but this is my observation so far

BMS:
Would just end up saying rice only. Haven't played LR2 so no further input

FtB:
can't explain lol
XceeD best charter

---------------------------------------

Please do indicate that it is highly suggested to start off with songs you know are manageable. Had faced this mistake too many times.

I'll try to have input on patterns for 7k when i have the time
Topic Starter
Feerum
Okay guys. Thank you all so far!

We had the idea to use a Google Doc for people that want to help with editing the Tutorial.
Should you be interested please send me a PM and i will send you the link.

I will not link it here since i want avoid abuse of the Doc Document.

I will go through every suggestions in the Doc and probably add it.
Everything is welcome from correct the grammar to adding whole points.
Everything you think it should be in the Tutorial!

After we got some more points in the doc i will just copy/paste it into this tutorial!

Hope some are willing to help me here, since i got really a LOT of good suggestions!

Edit: changes for today:
Rename some pattern
Start working on 3.5
Grammar
Remove "Avoid Vocal Mapping" for now (will rework and add it later again, without saying that it's bad)
hannanos

Lenfried- wrote:

FtB:
can't explain lol
XceeD best charter
Don't forget the occasional use of middle lane similar to a special lane though. And the glorious, glorious long jacks and trills
show more