SMT Monthly #5: May Winners: Kvikk Lunsj + BITPOF

posted
Total Posts
show more
-Ichika-
any team for 50k-10k ? :3
Xoulium
Message me if you want to join my team, Flying Pussyfoot, 1-7k

If I get a message from someone then I'll talk to the admins about the roster change :)

Nvm :P
Zenyatta
Guys, please...

I know this from my tourney and it fcking sucks. DON'T ATTEND A TOURNEY IF YOU DON'T PLAY IT!
It is annoying, and can fck up your mates. You won't make friends only foes.

EDIT:
Iam leaving team Le Baguette, not gonna take 6 months suspension for these guys
Kaplan

CrsTramorio wrote:

Guys, please...

I know this from my tourney and it fcking sucks. DON'T ATTEND A TOURNEY IF YOU DON'T PLAY IT!

EDIT:
Same here
Suhun

Kaplan wrote:

CrsTramorio wrote:

Guys, please...

EDIT:
Same here
30 minutes of practice for nothing... FOR NOTHING
Sporadik
Eh.... doing this again.
Can : HR, some Ar8.5> HD and can NoMod well
Who's needing a team member for 10k - 50k, PM me :D
CrimsonClaw

Sporadik wrote:

Eh.... doing this again.
The tournament has already begun.

NotSuhun wrote:

30 minutes of practice for nothing... FOR NOTHING
top gyerekek
FogsFles
Hey!

Looking for a 10k-50k team Currently my ranking is 12k but i've been a lot higher
I'm an allround player, but speciality is high bpm!
Looking for a team that's fun, and that's serious :)

PM me out- or ingame
Sporadik

CrimsonClaw wrote:

Sporadik wrote:

Eh.... doing this again.
The tournament has already begun.

Yeah. I noticed it after i saw the sched lmao. Because when I wrote it it said sign-ups open :D
Nuggel
G Y E R E K E K B O Y S
CrimsonClaw
Thundur
B A G U E T T E R I S E S

edit : nvm
Thize

Thunderfire wrote:

B A G U E T T E R I S E S
We won't even need tanks for this one :^)
WeanXianzheng
Battquif
I didn't say anything so far, but these map-pool are really... weird :/ I'm speaking about the 1K - 10K map-pool. You just pick like random maps or idk, I saw 2010 maps or 2011, these maps are just fucking boring (sorry for it). Obviously there are some good maps (often a jumpy 2015 map) but there are just too many shitty maps ! you can see it just looking the amount of unranked maps. Unranked beatmaps aren't bad everytime, but some of them are.
I saw that you're trying to put some (a lot) of tech. maps, hum... A tech map is not only a single/alternate map or a shitty map :( Well, I'm not good to criticize but I know you've understood :)

I won't speak about the ar 10.3 in a >#1K map-pool, I won't... haha

Well, if someone wants to discuss of it with me, I'm open ;) I didn't say any solution or exemple so... :)
Halfslashed

Battquif wrote:

I didn't say anything so far, but these map-pool are really... weird :/ I'm speaking about the 1K - 10K map-pool. You just pick like random maps or idk, I saw 2010 maps or 2011, these maps are just fucking boring (sorry for it). Obviously there are some good maps (often a jumpy 2015 map) but there are just too many shitty maps ! you can see it just looking the amount of unranked maps. Unranked beatmaps aren't bad everytime, but some of them are.
I saw that you're trying to put some (a lot) of tech. maps, hum... A tech map is not only a single/alternate map or a shitty map :( Well, I'm not good to criticize but I know you've understood :)

Well, if someone wants to discuss of it with me, I'm open ;) I didn't say any solution or exemple so... :)
Alright, I'll bite.

Yes, our mappools are weird compared to a lot of other mappools. Do you know why? Because our mappools actually cater to various players of various skillsets, rather than those who can just play what is part of the current meta. Little did you know, there are players that started before you still play that are in this bracket and stated playing the game in a different meta, and thus are comfortable with different types of maps. Random maps? Boring? These are subjective qualities relative to what a player thinks of a map based off of what kinds of maps they played to get to where they are, or dependent on their approach to the game, and we can't make an entire pool based off of that. However, we can account for as many skills as we can, and that is what we do.

Based off of the comments on the years of maps, you're basically admitting that you can only play maps in a certain style, and that those should be the only types of maps we should represent. This overly favors players that have incredible aim and accuracy, but limited finger control and reading in short, especially when you look at the average map compared to some of these "boring" maps you mentioned. Our maps aren't random at all, they are playtested and heavily scrutinized despite being unranked, though I won't go as far as to say we produce flawless pools week after week.

We actually do compromise with the meta though - that is why you'll find at least one type of map that you're looking for in each mod category (Nomod, Freemod, Hidden, Hard Rock, and Double Time). This incentivizes players coming into our tournaments to actually get better at the game and pick up skills related to the mod they want to play, rather than stick to only being able to play maps that only teach certain skillsets.

Additionally, we are fully transparent about the format of our mappools, which you didn't even ask about in our Discord (despite being in the server).
Current
No Mod
1 Modern
1 Jump
1 Stream
1 Technical
1 Alternate
1 High CS

Free Mod (One of these is Modern style)
3 Balanced or 1 Hard HD, 1 Hard HR, and 1 Balanced

Hard Rock (One of these might be intentionally drain heavy)
1 Acc Killer
1 Modern
1 High CS

Hidden
1 Hard Read
1 Modern
1 Streamy

Double Time
1 Low BPM
1 Med BPM
1 High BPM

The format is not perfect, but covers all of the skillsets a player could have, really. If you want to argue about players in this bracket not having these skillsets, I can give you examples of players that can deal with these categories. Main point I'm trying to make through posting this though is that SMT is not going to change just because the average player is not versatile in their skillsets.

Of course, we are open to further discussion on the actual maps now that you (hopefully) understand our goals.

By the way, just because you cannot play 10.3, doesn't mean it shouldn't be in a pool.
Reazen

Halfslashed wrote:

Battquif wrote:

Alright, I'll bite.

Yes, our mappools are weird compared to a lot of other mappools. Do you know why? Because our mappools actually cater to various players of various skillsets, rather than those who can just play what is part of the current meta. Little did you know, there are players that started before you still play that are in this bracket and stated playing the game in a different meta, and thus are comfortable with different types of maps. Random maps? Boring? These are subjective qualities relative to what a player thinks of a map based off of what kinds of maps they played to get to where they are, or dependent on their approach to the game, and we can't make an entire pool based off of that. However, we can account for as many skills as we can, and that is what we do.

Based off of the comments on the years of maps, you're basically admitting that you can only play maps in a certain style, and that those should be the only types of maps we should represent. This overly favors players that have incredible aim and accuracy, but limited finger control and reading in short, especially when you look at the average map compared to some of these "boring" maps you mentioned. Our maps aren't random at all, they are playtested and heavily scrutinized despite being unranked, though I won't go as far as to say we produce flawless pools week after week.

We actually do compromise with the meta though - that is why you'll find at least one type of map that you're looking for in each mod category (Nomod, Freemod, Hidden, Hard Rock, and Double Time). This incentivizes players coming into our tournaments to actually get better at the game and pick up skills related to the mod they want to play, rather than stick to only being able to play maps that only teach certain skillsets.

Additionally, we are fully transparent about the format of our mappools, which you didn't even ask about in our Discord (despite being in the server).
Current
No Mod
1 Modern
1 Jump
1 Stream
1 Technical
1 Alternate
1 High CS

Free Mod (One of these is Modern style)
3 Balanced or 1 Hard HD, 1 Hard HR, and 1 Balanced

Hard Rock (One of these might be intentionally drain heavy)
1 Acc Killer
1 Modern
1 High CS

Hidden
1 Hard Read
1 Modern
1 Streamy

Double Time
1 Low BPM
1 Med BPM
1 High BPM

The format is not perfect, but covers all of the skillsets a player could have, really. If you want to argue about players in this bracket not having these skillsets, I can give you examples of players that can deal with these categories. Main point I'm trying to make through posting this though is that SMT is not going to change just because the average player is not versatile in their skillsets.

Of course, we are open to further discussion on the actual maps now that you (hopefully) understand our goals.

By the way, just because you cannot play 10.3, doesn't mean it shouldn't be in a pool.
I think that the idea itself is good, but the selection of maps is not as balanced as you think. Someone may not be able to play some kind of map, but should be able at least pass though the map without fail. It is not about whether someone can play certain maps or not. It's about taking advantage of the map, not totally outplay someone. e.g. https://osu.ppy.sh/b/95795 is way too hard for me look at the scoreboard... very few scores with HR. These kind of map is only about survive or not.
Battquif

Halfslashed wrote:

Well, about the meta. I really think that a map-pool should represent mainly the meta, with some (2-3) maps that help old players. But It's not your opinion, anyway. Basically, I just regroup maps in 3 categories : Stream / Jump / Tech. Today, the majority of players are "jump" players. Some players are very fast but often have a really bad acc/consistency. Now the "tech.", designed by nomod and HD players, the minority of players haha. old metas are only tech (with some bad streamy part). Why ?
  1. stupid square/pentagone paterns
  2. 1.00* DS everywhere (easy to play, 2 stars level)
  3. A random AR, representing nothing
  4. Random triplets etc...
Therefore, the only parts that are hard to play, are reading parts. Just had a "easy" mod in the map-pool if you want to put maps like that Keppo.
"Random maps? Boring? These are subjective qualities", nop it's not :) Now a map has an identity, you can't say that old maps have one.. Refer to the list, these caracteristics are boring to play, easy and unfunny. Obviously players like WWW are better in these maps (reading) but most of the players have like the same level on these maps depending of their rank. I know how to play it, look, I'm still in the winner bracket (the team) :) :) :)
About finger control, please, there are so many AMAZING maps spe finger control. Refer to your week 2's TB (I loved it, but you shouldn't put a spe map for a TB, all players should be able to do it, but it's small ;) ).

About your map-picking protocol, I often agree with it, but the problem is just in the map-picking, there are a lot of maps better than some maps you put :/ You just should try to put like "good" maps haha, you can find every style of maps in 2015 :)

And I can play ar 10.3, I don't like it, but I can play. But it's just to hard for this type of tournament, maybe one for the final, but not here !! And not 2 ! xD

Well, thank you for reading me ;) I'm not blaming you, just saying what I think ! :)
Risa
"Fun" is a completely subjective thing. What if i tell u that i find the typical maps nowadays totally boring as I find them to be "mindless-cross-screen-jumps-everywhere" type of maps. I am not making up things for the sake of this post. I genuinely find majority of 2015 maps, aside from technical maps, boring. Hence, I don't play them often. But hey, that is my opinion,which is different from the majority of the "meta" players nowadays. I know that I am not a player at the moment, but what if I am? Am I going to be put at a disadvantage as I have a different point of view regarding fun, and a more unique skillset than the rest? Just because i dislike the meta and rarely play the maps most people play nowadays? Do i deserve to be put at this disadvantage?

I will make things clear; the organizers and admins have agreed that we want the winner of this tournament to be a team who excel at playing different varieties of maps proficiently. Not about being a team who are excellent a specific skillset. And definitely NOT about being a team that excels at the current meta. If a group of players is excellent only at a specifc skillset, such as at the current meta maps, they will find the mappool and matches difficult to win. It is meant to be this way. We want to ensure that those teams' lives are HARD. This policy have been decided from the very start, and sorry to tell u that we will NOT change this policy and this way of map picking. If you have a different opinion regarding how a mappool should be done, you are free to not sign up in this tournament.
Battquif

Ezonie wrote:

"Fun" is a completely subjective thing. What if i tell u that i find the typical maps nowadays totally boring as I find them to be "mindless-cross-screen-jumps-everywhere" type of maps. I am not making up things for the sake of this post. I genuinely find majority of 2015 maps, aside from technical maps, boring. Hence, I don't play them often. But hey, that is my opinion,which is different from the majority of the "meta" players nowadays. I know that I am not a player at the moment, but what if I am? Am I going to be put at a disadvantage as I have a different point of view regarding fun, and a more unique skillset than the rest? Just because i dislike the meta and rarely play the maps most people play nowadays? Do i deserve to be put at this disadvantage?

I will make things clear; the organizers and admins have agreed that we want the winner of this tournament to be a team who excel at playing different varieties of maps proficiently. Not about being a team who are excellent a specific skillset. And definitely NOT about being a team that excels at the current meta. If a group of players is excellent only at a specifc skillset, such as at the current meta maps, they will find the mappool and matches difficult to win. It is meant to be this way. We want to ensure that those teams' lives are HARD. This policy have been decided from the very start, and sorry to tell u that we will NOT change this policy and this way of map picking. If you have a different opinion regarding how a mappool should be done, you are free to not sign up in this tournament.
Read my last post to get your answer ;)
Well, if the tournament is fix, I'm wasting my time just now haha.
WeanXianzheng
1k-10k: jackylam5, n0ah, Synchrostar
u suck ;) :cry:
Synchrostar

WeanXianzheng wrote:

hey come on man...
Reazen

WeanXianzheng wrote: