forum

Hidden mod tips?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Rosten
Disclaimer: I realize playing Hidden at my level really isn't conducive to gitting gud, I'm mostly doing this for fun, but I still want to get better at it, go figure, huh. (Also playing Hidden is making me rely more on the music than the hit circles for complicated rhythms, which is something I should do more)

That said, I've been trying Hidden on 3 star maps I could FC on one try, and I can't even clear most of them. Any tips towards being better at this mod?
Mahogany
You should play call of duty and that will make you better at hidden
Rilene
yeah yeah you ignored it
Yuudachi-kun

Mahogany wrote:

You should play call of duty and that will make you better at hidden
Topic Starter
Rosten
will tf2 work i ran out of verification cans 6 hours ago
Yuudachi-kun
Play anything but osu
Cookiedipp
I'm not really an experienced player, but we are around the same rank :D
The best advice I can give is to go down in star difficulty and practice easier beatmaps with Hidden.
You can work your way up to harder difficulties as you improve.

Other then this, just focus on the music and the rhythm of the song when you are playing.
You will get better by practicing. :oops:
Topic Starter
Rosten

Cookiedipp wrote:

I'm not really an experienced player, but we are around the same rank :D
The best advice I can give is to go down in star difficulty and practice easier beatmaps with Hidden.
You can work your way up to harder difficulties as you improve.

Other then this, just focus on the music and the rhythm of the song when you are playing.
You will get better by practicing. :oops:
I've been doing this ,and progressing quite rapidly from 2star back to my regular 3-4 star.

After a while you realize that Hidden doesn't actually alter how you play the game like DT, HR, and other mods do. You just have less visual feedback to go off of, so once you get a feel for it, you can pretty much play up to your nomod level (albeit with significantly worse accuracy if you're not used to the more complicated patterns)
Alea
You should play the song with no mod first and then with Hd , to get used to the rhythm of the song.
[ Koutei Monev]
You're problem may be ar<9 with. Don't click the notes as they disappear, follow the rhythm of the music.

I play HDHR because of the ar10; I can't follow rhythm in lower ar's.
nrl
Stop playing hidden. You're nowhere near ready for it, and hidden is much harder at lower ARs, which are what you'll be playing.

Alea wrote:

You should play the song with no mod first and then with Hd , to get used to the rhythm of the song.
And when you finally do start playing with hidden, don't do this. You'll never learn to really read hidden without doing cold reads.
Endie-
play a lot of it
like. a lot-a lot
Topic Starter
Rosten
Yeah, I know I'm probably way too low skill level to be playing Hidden, but like I said, I'm having fun with it so progress isn't my main point here.

I've found it a lot easier to play Hidden songs that I know, not like, having played the beatmap before, but playing songs like Blade Dance where I already know the rhythm makes it a hell of a lot easier to do those god forsaken jumps. (I'm up to 90%'ing 3.5-4.0 star maps with HD)
Deva
If progress isn't what you are going for then stop posting on forums and just go and play the damn game ffs
N0thingSpecial
These are just stuff that helped me play hidden
- use a skin with solid hit circles
- use a lot more eye tracking than usual, rather than relying heavily on muscle memory
- play more
Topic Starter
Rosten

HK_ wrote:

If progress isn't what you are going for then stop posting on forums and just go and play the damn game ffs
Yes, god forbid I post something regarding Gameplay on the gameplay & rankings forum. My bad.
Deva
Did you even read what I said?
Meifi_old
Well if you want a different way of learning HD I can tell you how I did it.
Im just a HD lover ;_;

I memorized how fast I had to single tap and stream for each BPM seperately (180,190,200,etc) since its the same speed for any map. Once my body remembers I just always check the BPM of a map before playing HD and note how fast I need to tap.

Second comes when to hit the notes. For streaming AR9 you stream one note behind (Ar8 2 notes, Ar10 basically right on the note (half a note behind) of when the HD note appears.

Also I mightve just had an affinity for HD since I basically played HD my entire osu life. Cause nomod hurts my eyes and distracts me :P
mulraf
i have to agree with the others. play more. get better. try hidden later.

i've been in this game a long time and stuck around your skill level for a VERY long time. obviously also tried all kinds of mods. but hidden is really a mod that kinda combines with faster approach rates. you will see that hidden will, in later stages of the game, not nessercarily make the maps harder, but maybe even easier because the notes would usually appear very fast, so that you can't react in time. but hidden will kind of act as something, showing you the future. so instead of instantly reacting, you will be shown, how you are supposed to react in the upcoming time. this is why hidden + hardrock is a rather popular combination.

with lower approach rates the note appears and you just have soooo much time to hit it. you don't really know when you will have to hit it that well since there's a much larger gap between the notes appearance and the time you actually have to click it then with higher approach rates.

if you play hidden, like the other user suggested - just playing it with nomod and then with hidden - you will basically not play the song, but rather memorize what the map is like. bascially like a easier version of flashlight.

oh but the tip with the right skin is also pretty good. there are to many effects on the osu! standard skin. go try some skins of the pro players like rafis, cookiezi, etc. (i don't really recommend the one of hvick. just my opinion. it has some more 'visual distraction' then the others in my opinion). why? because in hidden you will come across notes that are overlapped for example. when you hit one note, there might be some particles and 100 signs and what not that will block your sight, and thus you might not see the note that was behind this note.

well. that are my tips. if you really want to play it, play it. you won't get worse. you probably won't get better. it might be fun. but if you want to have more fun with hidden get better overall and combine it with faster approach rates or play hidden + hardrock combined to enhance the maps approach rate.
lit120
try to read the circle starting from a low AR. if you're good with it, go for higher

you might gonna need followpoint or your good eyesight or even both for this with a timing accurate from the song
chainpullz

nrl wrote:

Stop playing hidden. You're nowhere near ready for it, and hidden is much harder at lower ARs, which are what you'll be playing.

Alea wrote:

And when you finally do start playing with hidden, don't do this. You'll never learn to really read hidden without doing cold reads.
Seconded.
Yuudachi-kun
Solution: Never play hd
Caenis
Xyrus_old_1
HD is a lot easier to learn at higher AR since you don't have to remember the position of the circle you're aiming to move to for very long. Playing below AR9 probably won't hurt you, but AR9 HD becomes less about guessing how long you have to wait before clicking and more about reading patterns in the song. Learning to jump to circles you can no longer see is difficult at first, but along with learning to tap to the beat of the song, improvement comes with Play More™.

Alea wrote:

nrl wrote:

chainpullz wrote:

Seconded.
Thirded.

Memorizing songs is how you play FL, not HD.

mulraf wrote:

oh but the tip with the right skin is also pretty good. there are to many effects on the osu! standard skin. go try some skins of the pro players like rafis, cookiezi, etc. (i don't really recommend the one of hvick. just my opinion. it has some more 'visual distraction' then the others in my opinion). why? because in hidden you will come across notes that are overlapped for example. when you hit one note, there might be some particles and 100 signs and what not that will block your sight, and thus you might not see the note that was behind this note.
This ^

Download every skin you see that you like the look of and figure out which one you like best. Now figure out what you like better about other skins, create a new folder for and start mixing and matching to make a new skin from pieces of the other skins (including editing the .ini). Now think about any changes you think you'd prefer that aren't available in any of the skins you've downloaded and make new elements and tweak the .ini some more.

After that, you can start making your own skin. The best skin to play with is the one that you made for yourself. :)

EDIT: Hitsounds are probably the most important part of a skin when it comes to HD.
listen to the music
Topic Starter
Rosten
I've found most of what you guys say in regards to Hidden sometimes making difficult maps harder due to the whole not-being-overwhelmed-by-30-notes-on-the-screen-at-once thing, although it still messes up my streaming to no end.

Also, I feel like I should mention I've been using Cookiezi's skin for a while now,and aside from the transparent circles making me have to dim the background a lot more than I usually do (75% compared to usually 40%), I've enjoyed it quite a bit more than the base skin.
Mahogany
You should have the background at 100% dim
Yolshka
I don't think I'll ever be able to sacrifice the eye candy.
Infevo
Best you can do is switch to hidden only and never go back.
I Give Up
Some people benefit from less clutter while playing HD. So you could try no slider end circles + full dim + hide interface + no follow points.
show more