forum

Strict full alternating training script

posted
Total Posts
show more
Drezi

Kunino Sagiri wrote:

Your """"proper"""" alternating that this script could potentially give you, is a """"better"""" K1:K2 ratio which is Aesthetic.
why don't you read what I've posted??? how hard is it to understand that it's not the case. omg. p/5012660

---

thread is not about alternating vs singletapping. it's about the usefulness of learning clean alternation (for novice alternaters) at more complicated patterns such as consecutive triplets etc. (and the stript that helps with this.)
Kunino Sagiri

Drezi wrote:

why don't you read what I've posted??? how hard is it to understand that it's not the case
you mean this?

X | Y | X | - | Y | X | Y | - | X | Y | X |
tap --- tap --- --- tap --- --- tap --- tap
??? --- 270 ------ 180 ------ 180 --- 270

You seem to be blatantly ignoring the "-" part so it's not really valid. Alternating is to evenly divide the strain on a single pattern between 2 fingers accompanied with mental disadvantages. XYX-XYX is mixed with singletap/improper alternate because of X-X? Nah, it's still proper alternating as long as the perfect 1:1 (with the exceptions being odd numbered patterns singles,triples,quints etc. and the finger you should use at the end note is the one you started with) K1:K2 ratio is followed on a single pattern.

THIS is improper alternating

X | Y | X | X | X | X | Y | Y | X | Y | X |
Drezi
The whole point was to show the advantage of fully alternating those transitions, not to debate which qualifies as "proper alternating". That was just a fucking name I used to refer to the latter (which IS the most efficient as shown, thus the "proper" tag). And there are no mental disadvantages to either. Seeing how mentally handicapped you are, I guess there ARE people who are simply unable to cope with the process of learning it though, to get there.
Kunino Sagiri

Drezi wrote:

The whole point was to show the advantage of fully alternating those transitions, not to debate which qualifies as "proper alternating". And there are no mental disadvantages to either.
If you can't even establish what proper alternating is then you have no right to talk about efficiency. It's like a person talking about how hamburgers should be made or else it's not a hamburger when all he does is eat and didn't even bother to learn how to make them.

If you don't even know the already obvious mental disadvantage of said playstyle (body part that is used/not used is directly proportional to mental strain) then you have no right to talk about efficiency.
Drezi
I'm a full alternator, while you probably can't alternate for shit, I'm sure you're more knowledgeable about the mental strain I'm (not) putting up with than I am. It strains me mentally about as much as using two legs to walk (hint: not at all).

I already established what proper alternating is, it simply doesn't align with your (laughable) definition of it, but arguing which qualifies as "proper" has no bearing on the topic at hand at all.
The numbers speak for themselves regarding efficiency between the two cases............... it doesn't matter what names we stick above them, genius.

Yeah I have no right to... oh god.
I Give Up
The mental disadvantage is the fact that if you do not alternate this way, you're forcing a tapping style that is not natural for you and will probably have to double the effort to get anywhere in the game, which seems to be OP's dilemma. But in the end it does not matter, because you will be capped by stream and move speed whether you alternate or single tap.
B1rd
If you practice something enough, it becomes natural.
Yuudachi-kun

KukiMonster wrote:

The mental disadvantage is the fact that if you do not alternate this way, you're forcing a tapping style that is not natural for you and will probably have to double the effort to get anywhere in the game, which seems to be OP's dilemma. But in the end it does not matter, because you will be capped by stream and move speed whether you alternate or single tap.
Good thing there aren't that many stream maps above 270
koromo
There is no mental disadvantage to alternating, the only people who think that way are people who don't alternate. A rough start is natural, as it is with everything you're a novice at. Like you didn't suck when you started playing osu regardless of play style, this is just a new way to play, of course it would be difficult at first for most people. I alternate perfectly and I play HR most of the time, my accuracy and aim are my best traits.

Now, do you really think I'm capable of aiming every small circle on screen and tapping on time to get 99% OD10 accuracy while also "straining" myself to always use the next finger I'm supposed to use, alternating perfectly? I'm not that good.

This applies to all play styles, like people who alternate pen tap + keyboard key (Black Sheep style), sure I can't do it, but they can and they have no issue whatsoever handling tricky rhythm patterns and bpm changes, because it's their play style and they're used to it.

tl;dr I don't have to think, notes appear on screen and my body moves on its own. Also I used to single tap, my play style gradually shifted to alternating over time somehow.
Yuudachi-kun
Theres a mental disadvantage when you force yourself to alternate perfectly rather than plaing naturally
Drezi

Khelly wrote:

Theres a mental disadvantage when you force yourself to alternate perfectly rather than plaing naturally
yes there is, but it's called training good habits, so it's what becomes natural (if you want to be an alternater, that is).
Yuudachi-kun

Drezi wrote:

Khelly wrote:

yes there is, but it's called training good habits, so it's what becomes natural.
And I'm not calling forcing yourself to perfectly alternate no matter what a good habit.
Drezi
edited my last post, right as you posted. it's not about singletappers of course.
Yuudachi-kun
I'm a singletapper and I almost always alternate successive sliders or slider note slider patterns (even in a jump) because that feels like the right thing to do. But sometimes I don't alternate those sliders, or sometimes I'll alternate to a stacked singletap section with my other finger and singletap those until the stack is done then alternate back to the next slider.

Just do whatever.
Drezi
Well, you probably haven't read the thread, so I don't really want to go at it from scratch again, but we established that:

- we're not arguing whether alternating or singletapping is better
- at normal sliders, slow parts etc, do whatever, it doesn't matter and isn't the topic of this discussion
- if you're trying to be an alternater, alternating perfectly at trickier patterns is beneficial, you're shooting yourself in the foot if you alternate 1/2s, but do xyx xyx on consecutive triples etc, since nor do you train your singletapping speed that is required to do these, nor can you benefit from the reduced strain by alternating starting fingers at such patterns aswell.
koromo

Khelly wrote:

I'm a singletapper and I almost always alternate successive sliders or slider note slider patterns (even in a jump) because that feels like the right thing to do. But sometimes I don't alternate those sliders, or sometimes I'll alternate to a stacked singletap section with my other finger and singletap those until the stack is done then alternate back to the next slider.
And for most people, none of that is natural, even though it feels right for you. But your play style was most likely not like this since your first day playing osu, it most likely developed over the years and it's what feels just right for you.

Same applies to alternating, whether it happens naturally like in my case or you actively practice for it, the end result is the same, you get used to something and it simply becomes your way of doing things, it doesn't feel forced and doesn't hurt accuracy or aim at all, there's no drawback if it's what you're used to and feel comfortable doing it.
Yuudachi-kun

koromo wrote:

Same applies to alternating, whether it happens naturally like in my case or you actively practice for it, the end result is the same, you get used to something and it simply becomes your way of doing things, it doesn't feel forced and doesn't hurt accuracy or aim at all, there's no drawback if it's what you're used to and feel comfortable doing it.
Then what's the point of this script? It seems like it's trying to force someone to play in a certain way only because they think they should do that rather than just playing and letting it happen.
koromo

Khelly wrote:

Then what's the point of this script? It seems like it's trying to force someone to play in a certain way only because they think they should do that rather than just playing and letting it happen.
Well if we're talking about the script then I also agree it's a bad idea. There is no need for a script like this even if OP wants to alternate perfectly, that's just silly.

Not saying he shouldn't try at all, just saying the script gives him 0 benefits while messing up his plays. Just practice normally instead.
Topic Starter
G3T

koromo wrote:

Well if we're talking about the script then I also agree it's a bad idea. There is no need for a script like this even if OP wants to alternate perfectly, that's just silly.

Not saying he shouldn't try at all, just saying the script gives him 0 benefits while messing up his plays. Just practice normally instead.
I think I've said this two or three times already, but the point was that I couldn't tell when I was double tapping during fast and/or complicated sections, which was in turn putting strains on my hand that would lead to my fingers locking. The the script gave me immediate visual feedback when I was double tapping, thus allowing me to much more quickly fix the problem than if I had concentrated on doing so without it.

I found it to be very effective as I got rid of all of the problems with a few hours of playing with the script and stopped using it. I have used it once or twice more to check if I've fallen back into bad habits and so far all is good.
koromo

G3TTR1GG3R3D wrote:

I think I've said this two or three times already, but the point was that I couldn't tell when I was double tapping during fast and/or complicated sections, which was in turn putting strains on my hand that would lead to my fingers locking. The the script gave me immediate visual feedback when I was double tapping, thus allowing me to much more quickly fix the problem than if I had concentrated on doing so without it.

I found it to be very effective as I got rid of all of the problems with a few hours of playing with the script and stopped using it. I have used it once or twice more to check if I've fallen back into bad habits and so far all is good.
Then I don't know why Khelly would bring it up now, I haven't been actively following the discussion, was just replying to what was said to me.

If the visual feedback helped you fix it in a few hours then that's good. I've fixed all my bad habits just by concentrating on not doing it until it became natural so I still can't really feel the script was necessary but if it works for you then that's fine.
nrl
The real issue is that you could have fixed your problem by just concentrating a bit rather than purposefully limiting yourself with this script. You do you, so if the script worked then that's great, but I wouldn't personally ever recommend using this script to work on finger control, or really ever recommend anything that places rigid, artificial constraints on the player to train any sort of motor control. It just isn't the right way to do it.
Mio Winter
This is amazing and I love you if it works, but the question remains: Will I get banned for using it while logged in?
KupcaH

Mio Winter wrote:

This is amazing and I love you if it works, but the question remains: Will I get banned for using it while logged in?
Did you even read first post
zeplic
McOsu has a forced alternating mod for practice purposes that is not ran on a server.
Mio Winter

KupcaH wrote:

Mio Winter wrote:

Did you even read first post
I did read the bold red text, but the comments on it were less certain about whether it was bannable. I asked in case someone had verification about whether or not it was bannable.
Mio Winter

zeplic wrote:

McOsu has a forced alternating mod for practice purposes that is not ran on a server.
Hei, Z. o/

McOsu is amazing but I don't seem be using it a lot, and it's unlikely that I will. I like playing with the normal osu! client for various reasons, so I want the forced alternating to be there. I guess I'll use the AHK script offline. Ty for tip, though!
Mio Winter
Good news. Peppy says it's fine. : )