forum

Judges needed for upcoming Aspire contest (osu!standard)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ephemeral
It's finally time.

The second Aspire contest organization is almost complete, and one of the last things left to do is to find a cast of capable judges to round off the whole contest.

There are however, a few things that need to be said for anyone who is interested:

1. Aspire contests are free from ranking criteria restrictions. Completely.
  2. The only rules that entries need to follow are that they are osu!standard beatmaps and can be completed by automod without nofail needed to pass the map.
  3. Only a single map can be submitted to the contest - you are judging an individual map entirely on its own.
  4. Creative merit and technical implementation are the two categories that Aspire maps should be judged to. This is different from standard beatmap contest judging where you assess a map as a set - an Aspire judge looks for the most technically and creatively impressive map, often overlooking small individual issues with the maps themselves. Big picture versus small.
The last Aspire was the most popular beatmapping contest we've ever held with 116 individual entries submitted. While these are single difficulties, the manner in which an Aspire map must be judged means that this typically takes as much work as judging a full set. Essentially, it is a lot of work, and unlike last time, it is a lot of work that will have a very large deadline looming over it.

If you're still somehow interested interested in judging for this contest, please list yourselves in the thread below. Just remember that it is a lot of work, and I'll be hounding anyone slow on it constantly for a good month or so.

Judges who are chosen will be reimbursed with osu!supporter or merchandise for their efforts upon completing judging, and will be mentioned in the osu!news announcement. There also might be a profile badge for it - but we'll see.
Natsu
I'm interested in judging, I have alot of free time
meii18
I'm interested too.Count me in!
Chaoslitz
Loving this contest since last time
Count me in! I am interested in this
Cherry Blossom
Im interested in judging this one too.
It would be really nice to play and judge creative things !
Sonnyc
/me shows interest
Stefan
I'd love to help if I was a BN again. :(

Besides, already excited about the song choice and entries \o/
Deif

Ephemeral wrote:

Judges who are chosen will be reimbursed with osu!supporter or merchandise for their efforts upon completing judging, and will be mentioned in the osu!news announcement. There also might be a profile badge for it - but we'll see.
dafuq
Loctav
Judges receive prizes? Are you on crack?

Not gonna happen. Supporters? Maybe. Not nothing beyond that.
Kibbleru
supporter makes sense, in fact any judges for any contest should recieve this imo since judging takes alot of effort.
merchandise might be stretching it a bit
HappyRocket88
Never thought this would be handled so fast. o:

Count me in if possible, would love to help out on this great contest.

Interested is repeated on the penultimate paragraph x.x
IamKwaN
Let's be real here.

If people are able to receive prize/badge as a judge in a mapping contest, I am astonished by the fact that previous QATs are not awarded anything. You know, the amount of maps being examined back in the days by a single QAT was much larger than that being judged in a single contest.
neonat
Different kind of judging lol.
Kurokami

IamKwaN wrote:

Let's be real here.

If people are able to receive prize/badge as a judge in a mapping contest, I am astonished by the fact that previous QATs are not awarded anything. You know, the amount of maps being examined back in the days by a single QAT was much larger than that being judged in a single contest.
Its not like I was a judge for the prize, aside from the fact there was no prize. I was interested in doing that, that is all. I think, I'm not alone with this. And even if the current ones will get prizes, well, be it. /o/
Loctav

IamKwaN wrote:

Let's be real here.

Oh, so the infinite supporter tag that already fed you hundreds of dollars was "nothing"? Not saying that it compensates it enough, but saying that this is "nothing" is quite ungrateful.
Topic Starter
Ephemeral
Don't hold your tits for reimbursement, but if I'm particularly pleased with how judging goes I might feel inclined to shell out some of my own money for stickers or something. MAYBE. It wouldn't be an "official" prize at the very least.
Cherry Blossom
To be honest, when I want to participate as judge or map selector, I don't really expect to get rewarded first. It's like last OWC when i was part of map selectors, i didn't really expect anything back, but I received cool badges anyway and i'm happy for that.
But I think this would be really nice if you had not told us that judges could be rewarded. And instead, just tell us that you need judges, and when everything is done, so mapping contest winner announced, tell us about a possible reward for judges.
Just my opinion about that.
Okoratu
this guy wants to know if non-bn people can apply as judges (i assume this is in the Beatmap management forum for a reason)
Gero
I'm glad to see this kind of contest back, count me in if you're still looking for judges.
Topic Starter
Ephemeral
Alright. We hit a few hiccups with song selection, but we'll be going forward with a new Aspire very, very shortly.

Can I just get anyone interested reconfirming their commitment with a quick post after this one?
show more