forum

Taiko Mode

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
awp
For those of you who are not familiar, Taiko no Tatsujin is a Taiko Drum rhythm game made by Namco that involves the simulation of playing the drums to the beat of the music. In osu!, beatmaps can be played in the styling of Taiko no Tatsujin through use of the Taiko mod. Like basic osu!, there are three elements of gameplay:

1 - the standard beat. This will appear as either a reddish orange or a pale-blue circle. If it is a reddish orange circle, you must press one of the buttons bound to the inner portion of the Taiko drum (left mouse button, or alternatively, one of the keys configured in the options menu which is displayed at the start of the map in the upper left). For blue notes, you must press the right mouse button or one of the keys for the outer ring of the drum. The notes must be pressed when they reach the small circle next to the drum in the status bar on the playfield.

If the note is a LARGE circle, you may press BOTH of your inner or outer drum keys depending on the colour of the note for additional points.

2 - Drumrolls. These appear as yellow bars. You gain points for playing notes to the beat of the song.

3 - Dendens. These appear as spinners, with a countdown displaying the time you have remaining to clear it. You must press the keys for Orange and Blue in alternation until the Denden is clear.

The default controls for the Taiko mod are:

Orange: Left Mouse, X, C
Blue: Right Mouse, Z, V

you may configure the keyboard buttons as you see fit from the Input tab in the Options menu.

Note: the position of your osu! cursor does not matter when playing beatmaps with the Taiko mod.
dtnc21
Cool! Thanks!
peppy
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2646&p=33584#p33584 for an authentic map, if you want to get a feel for how actual taiko maps feel! You'll need to download the beatmap separately - my map is just an addon.
mattyu007
some videos of the taiko mod in action:

http://ca.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=40E2EA2C024FA3B4

peppyedit: embedded
[flash=480,385:bbc6e]http://ca.youtube.com/p/40E2EA2C024FA3B4[/flash:bbc6e]
adamskii_uk
Can someone please provide a list of some Taiko maps that we can play, since the beatmap search feature isn't very good at finding them. Also, a list of regular Osu! beatmaps that work well with the Taiko MOD would be appreciated too. Thanks. :)
peppy
dtnc21
ZOMG! GLICH!!! zomg isn't a real short

When ever there's a blue note, I hit it. In the replay, it didn't. Same goes for the denden.

Plus when I hit the outer ring of the drum, (Z + V) It didn't show me that it hit it.
Topic Starter
awp

dtnc21 wrote:

ZOMG! GLICH!!! zomg isn't a real short

When ever there's a blue note, I hit it. In the replay, it didn't. Same goes for the denden.

Plus when I hit the outer ring of the drum, (Z + V) It didn't show me that it hit it.
This is a known issue and is in fact in the changelog I believe.
Digedy
Oh cool :o it's basically Donkey Konga then ? :P
LuigiHann

Digedy wrote:

Oh cool :o it's basically Donkey Konga then ? :P
In this form, yeah, they're pretty similar. Donkey Konga and Taiko Drum Master were made by the same team at Namco Bandai.
Digedy
Ah cool :D i'l download it right away then , love donkey konga :p It's what got me into trying rythm games in the first place.
Axel
Oh the first game that got me into Rhythm games was Dance Dance Revolution 3RD MIX when i was 4 years old :D :D
Asher005
Thats pretty fun...
BlazeReap
Yeah...This may seem odd but is there any way to have a USB Game controller like a SNES one able to play Taiko, I'm just trying new things out. Thank you for reading :)
mattyu007
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
BlazeReap
Indeed
[deleted user]
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
mattyu007
Play > Special > Taiko

Comeon, seriously
Yoshi348
Guess this topic could stand more attention what with the score reset and all!

I must say it's interesting to be in on the ground floor for all the jockeying for score position. One thing I've noticed is that this mode is a lot lower score and less combo oriented that the other modes. In particular, you NEED to hit the big notes with both keys to stand a chance at a good score; if you don't, you can easily get beaten by someone with half your combo.
Zekira
If this wants attention, then I suggest the first post needs an update.
MMzz

Zekira wrote:

If this wants attention, then I suggest the first post needs an update.
ShaggoN
Faires_old
whu Thanks for the Refresh :3
I just LOVE Taiko Mode <33
rocketnine
Anyone know if the Taiko Drum Master PS2 controller works well with Osu! in Taiko mode? I have a PS2->PC cable and was hoping to hear if anyone had some success.

Do a lot of Taiko players just use electronic drum kits to play, or is there some other controller that I could use?
Zekira
AFAIK that could work but you need to bind it to your normal keys afaik -- only the Wii TaTaCon has full support on osu! as far as I know.
Propeller_Cap
I'm having a very frustrating time hitting the notes. For some reason, this version of Taiko is much, much stricter with note accuracy than the original games... :shock:

If I miss even one note, it is likely for me to mess up the entire song. Which is strange, considering the fact that I can pass most songs on the original games AND Owatatsujin. :x

On the bright side, though, now I'm able to play songs that I've never played before, specifically the PS2/PSP version songs, and AC 13. :lol:

I gotta get used to Osu Taiko's physics... :P
Yingwu
MMzz

Propeller_Cap wrote:

I'm having a very frustrating time hitting the notes. For some reason, this version of Taiko is much, much stricter with note accuracy than the original games... :shock:

If I miss even one note, it is likely for me to mess up the entire song. Which is strange, considering the fact that I can pass most songs on the original games AND Owatatsujin. :x

On the bright side, though, now I'm able to play songs that I've never played before, specifically the PS2/PSP version songs, and AC 13. :lol:

I gotta get used to Osu Taiko's physics... :P
Take into mind that the chart or scroll the notes appear on it shorter on osu!Taiko then the original Taiko no tatsujin.
Making everything a tad faster.

Adn Noxie to answer your question:
That bar will only show your osu! stats, I don't know if there are any future plans to change it.
You can always suggest it though in the future request area.
Hanyuu
i like to play the taiko mode but i am a beginner. can you tell me some beatmaps to start training ?
Hanyuu

Hanyuu wrote:

i like to play the taiko mode but i am a beginner. can you tell me some beatmaps to start training ?
hello?
MMzz

Hanyuu wrote:

Hanyuu wrote:

hello?
Taiko Songs can be found here.
Most of them are from Futsuu to Oni in difficulty.
Zekira
Also, this: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=23041 Taiko Beginner Manual by the Taiko Beginner Team. Give it a try since I highly recommend it...

...except for dddkkkdddkkkddd D:
show more