forum

Playstyle [added]

posted
Total Posts
172
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +248
show more
tyrael6192

Neruell wrote:

There you go, just waiting for people to be used.

Click on edit and write anything you want.

[attachment=0:8b2b1]Sin título.png[/attachment:8b2b1]

Of course it is only for Osu Supporters but at least some motivation for people to support Osu.
Having a box that says 'put anything here' is not helpful. Sure, some players will use it to denote their play style, but the majority of people won't, because it doesn't prompt them to. If you have a box that says 'Location', you'll write your location (or some pseudo-humorous comment to do with your location.) Hence, if you have a box that says 'Play style', you'll be prompted and thus much more inclined to write your play style in that box.

What i'm saying is, if you give everyone a box with no specifications, they'll all put different things in it.

Furthermore, regarding the user page and provided that people WILL use it for that purpose (many user pages i've seen do NOT include play style at all), not everybody donates, and quite a lot of people don't have a means for donation or are otherwise unable to do so. It's all good saying it's an 'incentive', but what if there's no way for people to chase that incentive?

Yeah, i support this completely. Granted, it's not a hugely game-altering idea, but it's very convenient and fairly simple to execute.
Neruell
I don't see why that option is not helpful at all. If you really want to tell someone what you use or how, then you can and you will write what you use. If no one asks you and no one is interested in it then no one cares and is already useless to even write it anywhere. If you are too bored of that or too lazy then you also won't write that in any other specific window.

Also I am sure that as you said, it will end in people writing comments in that window with silly jokes especially stuff like "Location" where straight over that category there is your flag which already tells where you are from. (unless it is meant to write down your home town and adress with key location and money and so on...)

All I want is to remind people that there is not only osu-me.com and just 1 page but there are pretty much different possibilities to do what you want. If you don't write it in "User page" then you won't write it in any category window. If you don't want to donate, sure, you can always answer the question about playstyle to people in IRC. It's same as osu direct. Makes life easier.

To me I would rather even suggest deleting all categories on the left border of the profile and just allow to write that information in "User page" because it will make more sense and "User page" would benefit more from it, but it's not the topic of the thread.
tyrael6192

Neruell wrote:

I don't see why that option is not helpful at all. If you really want to tell someone what you use or how, then you can and you will write what you use. If no one asks you and no one is interested in it then no one cares and is already useless to even write it anywhere. If you are too bored of that or too lazy then you also won't write that in any other specific window.

Also I am sure that as you said, it will end in people writing comments in that window with silly jokes especially stuff like "Location" where straight over that category there is your flag which already tells where you are from. (unless it is meant to write down your home town and adress with key location and money and so on...)

All I want is to remind people that there is not only osu-me.com and just 1 page but there are pretty much different possibilities to do what you want. If you don't write it in "User page" then you won't write it in any category window. If you don't want to donate, sure, you can always answer the question about playstyle to people in IRC. It's same as osu direct. Makes life easier.

To me I would rather even suggest deleting all categories on the left border of the profile and just allow to write that information in "User page" because it will make more sense and "User page" would benefit more from it, but it's not the topic of the thread.
Sure, if you don't want to write something, then you won't write it in any window. However, you are still much more likely to write your location in a 'location' box, and much more likely to write your interests in an 'interests' box. It logically follows that you're more likely to write your playstyle in a 'playstyle' box, because it prompts you to do so.

As for the flag, that's exclusive to location, pretty much. There's no flag 2 inches above the box which denotes peoples' interests, age, etc. Hence, there needs to be a defined space; location has a box AND a flag, but play style doesn't have anything.

Lastly, you can never have everybody listening to you on IRC. One day you might tell people how you play, but the next day a whole new flock of people who weren't there when you answered the question will ask that same question again - and this will go on indefinitely, because there is no cap to how many people will decide to start playing this game and want to find out your play style.
Neruell

tyrael6192 wrote:

Sure, if you don't want to write something, then you won't write it in any window. However, you are still much more likely to write your location in a 'location' box, and much more likely to write your interests in an 'interests' box. It logically follows that you're more likely to write your playstyle in a 'playstyle' box, because it prompts you to do so.
That's why I wrote "overpowered" in my "location" box and I am not by far the only person with such "location" and not only location which will mostly be just an other spam area for many people...

tyrael6192 wrote:

As for the flag, that's exclusive to location, pretty much. There's no flag 2 inches above the box which denotes peoples' interests, age, etc. Hence, there needs to be a defined space; location has a box AND a flag, but play style doesn't have anything.
Why do we have a "user page" then? It's like asking for a waterdrop when you stand near an ocean.

Then we shall also ask for a separate window for "mouse" and "keyboard" and " tablet" also "monitor", if so then "tablet area" and so on... all of them don't have any box and I am pretty sure people will also want to know that for sure at least when you say keyboard you don't necessarily mean razer black widow or cherry mx...

tyrael6192 wrote:

Lastly, you can never have everybody listening to you on IRC. One day you might tell people how you play, but the next day a whole new flock of people who weren't there when you answered the question will ask that same question again - and this will go on indefinitely, because there is no cap to how many people will decide to start playing this game and want to find out your play style.
If I would get annoyed by people asking me what I use, and I wouldn't have any slightly interest in writing that I would write it all, with all configs and screens and what so ever (since they don't just ask for the "playstyle" only but also equipment) either on a separate page but hey, look, there is a "User page"... really wonder is it made for farming?...
tyrael6192
I'm not saying you haven't written 'overpowered' in your location box; I am merely stating the fact that you're more likely to see 'Location: Japan' than 'Age: Japan' or 'Random box: Japan'. Hence, if there was a playstyle box, it would be a much more successful way of getting people to convey their play styles on their profile.

'We' don't have a user page. People who donate do. Refer to previously made points.

The razer black widow or cherry mx? That's just pure pedantic. That's like saying if the 'age' box says 15, people are going to want to know which month, date, hour and minute you were born. That's not the point of the 'age' box, and it will not be the point of a 'play style' box.

Actually, the most common question i see asked is 'mouse or tablet'... much less 'Keyboard model mx354 ub3r1337 or razer professionalgamingrapemodel'. And, if you read through the thread, that's effectively what people want - a choice between play STYLES - not equipment models.
Neruell
In my opinion it's useless because there are plenty of ways to show it, so no support from me.
tyrael6192
Agree to disagree.
Karuta-
Normally I would only be curious about playstyles when I see
-Players who are awesome (Keeps quiet about it)*
-Players who can do very well in some aspect of the gameplay and lose out in others (Keeps quiet about it)*
-People whom I played it for quite a bit and started chatting with (As something to talk about)

And I wouldn't really bother to tell people how I am playing the game or what specs and stuff I am using unless
-The situation calls for it

What I would really care about when I play is to try my best to play without hassle.
So, this feature would be useless to me.
Nekomimi_badik

kuburaczek wrote:

Soo... in the profile of players (at the left, where are Age Interests Location etc.) i'd like to see "Playstyle" with choice Tablet or Mouse.
Pming to people to ask them about their playstyle is a bit hmm annoying? : 3
tablet or mouse or keyboard. i mean i clicking only mouse and some1 clicking only keyboard. and some mouse and key
Ijah_old
Seems a decent idea,
I was thinking it could look something like this?
<tr><h2>Playstyle</h2>
<tr><td align="right"><b>Pointing Device:</b></td><td>Tablet</td></tr>
<tr><td align="right"><b>Input</b></td><td>Keyboard (Z/X)</td></tr>
<tr><td align="right"><b>More here...</b></td><td>Etc</td></tr></tr>

Or perhaps like this?

<div class="profileStatLine"><b>Playstyle</b></div>
<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="0">
<tbody>
<tr><td><b>Cursor Input:</b></td><td><a href="linktoimage/site">Wacom Bamboo MTE-450 Tablet</a></td></tr>
<tr><td><b>Key Input:</b></td><td><a href="linktoimage/site">Razer BlackWidow Keyboard</a></td></tr>
<tr><td><b>Window size:</b></td><td>1024 x 765</td></tr></tr>
</tbody>
</table>

+ Support !
Bakario

Ijah wrote:

Seems a decent idea,
I was thinking it could look something like this?
<tr><h2>Playstyle</h2>
<tr><td align="right"><b>Pointing Device:</b></td><td>Tablet</td></tr>
<tr><td align="right"><b>Input</b></td><td>Keyboard (Z/X)</td></tr>
<tr><td align="right"><b>More here...</b></td><td>Etc</td></tr></tr>

Or perhaps like this?

<div class="profileStatLine"><b>Playstyle</b></div>
<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="0">
<tbody>
<tr><td><b>Cursor Input:</b></td><td><a href="linktoimage/site">Wacom Bamboo MTE-450 Tablet</a></td></tr>
<tr><td><b>Key Input:</b></td><td><a href="linktoimage/site">Razer BlackWidow Keyboard</a></td></tr>
<tr><td><b>Window size:</b></td><td>1024 x 765</td></tr></tr>
</tbody>
</table>

+ Support !
+1 *-*
Autonom
nice idea :!: i like the first image -SiKaRiO- posted
DelMann2
Hmm, is it for you really that important? Does it matter if i use mouse/tablet? Keep on asking.
Jzh Zehnichi

Ijah wrote:

Seems a decent idea,
I was thinking it could look something like this?
<tr><h2>Playstyle</h2>
<tr><td align="right"><b>Pointing Device:</b></td><td>Tablet</td></tr>
<tr><td align="right"><b>Input</b></td><td>Keyboard (Z/X)</td></tr>
<tr><td align="right"><b>More here...</b></td><td>Etc</td></tr></tr>

Or perhaps like this?

<div class="profileStatLine"><b>Playstyle</b></div>
<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="0">
<tbody>
<tr><td><b>Cursor Input:</b></td><td><a href="linktoimage/site">Wacom Bamboo MTE-450 Tablet</a></td></tr>
<tr><td><b>Key Input:</b></td><td><a href="linktoimage/site">Razer BlackWidow Keyboard</a></td></tr>
<tr><td><b>Window size:</b></td><td>1024 x 765</td></tr></tr>
</tbody>
</table>

+ Support !
i like the 2nd image
its keep bothering when someone asking which mouse/tablet that suit for playing osu

+1 from me
hoLysoup

Ijah wrote:

Seems a decent idea,
I was thinking it could look something like this?
<tr><h2>Playstyle</h2>
<tr><td align="right"><b>Pointing Device:</b></td><td>Tablet</td></tr>
<tr><td align="right"><b>Input</b></td><td>Keyboard (Z/X)</td></tr>
<tr><td align="right"><b>More here...</b></td><td>Etc</td></tr></tr>

Or perhaps like this?

<div class="profileStatLine"><b>Playstyle</b></div>
<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="0">
<tbody>
<tr><td><b>Cursor Input:</b></td><td><a href="linktoimage/site">Wacom Bamboo MTE-450 Tablet</a></td></tr>
<tr><td><b>Key Input:</b></td><td><a href="linktoimage/site">Razer BlackWidow Keyboard</a></td></tr>
<tr><td><b>Window size:</b></td><td>1024 x 765</td></tr></tr>
</tbody>
</table>

+ Support !
Awesome.
Jenny
Don't have much to say, me likes.
FurukawaPan
Don't expect people to automatically be truthful about this,

Then again, I don't see why anyone would lie either. It's a myth that tablet users have an advantage over mouse users. But, I've only ever used mouse. Lots of people use keyboard for streams, so that would be interesting to know.

I guess I'm neither for nor against.
Hark

FurukawaPan wrote:

It's a myth that tablet users have an advantage over mouse users.
I have to agree here, there seems to be quite a few people out there who think that using a tablet is easier/makes you better instantly/is cheating. I see others in multiplayer too, saying that they wish they had a tablet so they could get better, or that someone is only good because they have a tablet.

most of these people are mouse users (I'm not generalising here, it's just a small number of mousers think they are somehow worse off) and it can sometimes get pretty annoying to have your skill dismissed because you use a tablet. I mean, it's not like I'm the greatest player in the world, but i didn't just buy a tablet and could then instantly do everything easily.

I've tried playing with a mouse recently, and to be honest it is just as easy as it is with a tablet. if you are thinking of getting a tablet for the sole purpose of an instant skill boost, forget it; save your money and buy something else, or become an osu! supporter if you aren't already :D

back on topic though, i don't really see a need to implement something like this. playstyle is a matter of preference, and playing one way or the other shouldn't really need to be taken into account when regarding skill. if a player is good then they are good, end of story. people should be going "omg, cookiezi is awesome" not "oh, he uses a tablet, that's why he's so good". if a player is not so good, then chances are they just need a bit more practice, not new hardware.

bottom line: it's a pretty good idea, but not really necessary. I would probably lie and say I used a mouse so the small percentage of people who care don't think I'm just some mouth-breathing tabletfag. I'm not raging/pointing fingers here, just saying that there are a few people out there who care greatly
Sekai
go go support this 0.0
TenaciousJ728
Support! But I'd rather see this sort of thing in the leaderboards telling which input device was used to rank on certain songs. I would prefer small icons representing that next to the rank. I'm pretty sure osu! is able to distinguished certain devices.

I would've suggest color coding leaderboard rankings but it wouldn't look right.
show more
Please sign in to reply.

New reply