forum

[Guide] What to do next as a newer mapper

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Yoges
This guide is aimed at mappers that are lost. The ones don't know where to go next in order to develop their mapping. I'm not going to be focusing on specific things like timing, hitsounding, mapping techniques etc. Guides for those have already been done and are far more informative than whatever I could put together. This guide is going to be focused on what you should do next and why you should be doing it. It'll also feature some advice from myself as an attempt to stop you from making an ass of yourself when you start out. So, let's begin.

Read the guides

There is a Guide Compendium on this subforum that is full of useful guides on multiple different topics. At the very least I’d advise reading the “Preparation”, “Timing” and "Sliders" guides that are in the guidelines for mapping.

You might feel daunted with the amount of reading you have to do but trust me a few minutes spent reading a couple of guides will prevent you from making basic hiccups and save you from multiple wasted attempts at mapping a song.

Edit 07/10/2016: pishifat has multiple videos on mapping I'd also recommend checking them out

pishitube

This happened to me on the first map I tried to rank. Being the noob I was I didn’t use Distance Snap when I made the Easy and Normal difficulties and thus had to do them all over again... twice.

Start modding

Moderating basically involves giving feedback to mappers about their creations. It involves pointing out flaws or giving the mapper suggestions to make the map better. The modding queues are a great place to find people who will mod your maps as well as a place to find maps to mod. When I say start modding I mean get mods for your maps and mod other people's maps as well.

Modding and mapping go kind of hand in hand, if you get better at one you will get better at the other. If you get better at mapping you have a better idea of what a good map should look like, hence it’ll be easier for you to point out flaws and give suggestions when modding.

Similarly if you get better at modding your map analysing skills get better as a result. You’ll be able to take this with you when you’re mapping. You’ll put down patterns and scrutinize your techniques at the same time. You’ll essentially start looking at your own maps and start thinking stuff like “Nope, that looks like shit” or “Ehh.. I’m kind of ignoring that really important drum there” and fix issues before you even start getting mods.

Open up a queue and start modding. When you begin I’d advise only doing Normal mods (NM) as you’ll probably only waste people's time by doing Mod for mod (M4M) because your mods won’t be of any substantial quality. (People usually start getting competent at modding when they have around 30~40 kds. You shouldn't mod with the intent of increasing your kudosu count however as your modding skills wont develop much if you do that.)

Also of course you shouldn’t forget to get others to mod what you’ve made as well. Just because you think it’s perfect doesn’t mean it is. Give feedback to modders about what suggestions you accepted, what was fixed and what was rejected.

Look at ranked maps

Newly ranked maps are a great example to learn from. Don’t be afraid of opening them up in editor and copying the techniques you see. That’s the only way you can learn, copying. You shouldn't just copy techniques blindly however, instead use what you can understand. If there's something you like but don't understand then don't be shy about poking the mapper ingame and asking. Most of the time they'll be more than happy to explain if they're not busy. Don’t worry about being “unoriginal” worry about establishing a solid foundation of skills first, then you can worry about developing your style.

Don’t be an obstacle

When you’re new and you just start modding/mapping everyone you encounter is going to be more experienced than you. To you they’ll all seem like gods. You’ll probably be accepting nearly 100% of mods to begin with thinking "Shit need to fix that, need to fix that", however as you start becoming more and more confident in your mapping you will start rejecting more and more suggestions from mods. It is important to take each suggestion into consideration but also be critical about it at the same time. Consider if the what the modder says is making sense or if what you have in the map is just fine.

I'm saying this because I've seen a few mappers (regrettably myself included) get a bit salty and defensive when their map gets criticized. Be mindful that that's what mods are meant to do. They are meant to offer you criticism to help you shape your map into the best possible map it can be. As a mapper the only thing you should be looking for in your mods are negatives not positives. If a mod is filled with positives it is not criticism it is praise.

Map more

The best way to improve your mapping is to map more. Mapping is a very intuitive process. You can read all the guides you want and get all the tutoring you want but ultimately the best way to improve is to just map more.

If possible try to map different genres so you know how to tackle different rhythms. If you’re constantly making insanes and don’t know how to make easier diffs try learning. Try learning how to make easier diffs like hards and normals so you’re not always stalking the modding queues to ask someone for a guest difficulty.

However do not forget about getting feedback. If all you're doing is mapping stuff and never submitting them or getting mods and test plays then all you're going to get out of that is false ideas and misinformed assumptions.

Don’t be intimidated

A common thing that happens when I’m tutoring newer mappers is they’ll get scared or intimidated. After I tell them what they need to do they’ll say stuff like “Well I’m just about ready to give up mapping”. They feel like whatever they make will always be shit and that it’s impossible to become a good mapper. I’ve no doubt some of you reading this will feel that way too. For that I will leave you with a scene from one of my favourite animes Uchuu kyoudai. Trust me just watch it.

Background info
The scene is from the second episode. Mutta and his brother younger brother Hibito have wanted to become astronauts from a young age. Hibito accomplishes his dream whereas Mutta loses his job at a car designing company after he headbutted his boss. Hibito hears of this and decides to get their mom to send Mutta’s resume off to JAXA (Japan Aerospace eXploration Agency) for an upcoming Astronaut selection exam. Mutta’s resume is accepted but he decides to not even take the first exam because he thinks becoming an Astronaut is impossible for him. He pays his aunt sharon (an astronomer) a visit.

Watch the video before you continue reading

I find this clip very motivational for just about anything I do in life so just thought I’d share it in the hope that you’ll get something out of it too. Mapping is piss easy once you know what to do and what not to do. Don’t give up before you even try.

That’s all for the moment. There’re are probably a few things I forgot to mention. If they come across my mind in the future then I’ll edit them into the post.
HappyRocket88
Support!
-NikoNiko-
Awesome guide :) Realls helps me a lot :D
ZekeyHache
Nice guide, Yoges!

Yoges wrote:

You’ll put down patterns and scrutinize your techniques at the same time. You’ll essentially start looking at your own maps and start thinking stuff like “Nope, that looks like shit” or “Ehh.. I’m kind of ignoring that really important drum there” and fix issues before you even start getting mods.
This has happened to me many times. Even after having a couple of ranked beatmaps, I have done difficulties that I end up remapping after getting more experienced. I'm not the kind of guy who likes to read guides, so most of the time I was mapping without knowing what the downbeats and upbeats were and I still got ranked maps, haha, but I had to fix a lot of stuff xd But now I know about that suff, I even map faster because I make less patterns with suspicious rhythms that seem to not fit a song that keep me testing a map again and again.

Guides are essential!
Endaris
I think it would help if you did some more formatting on the single sections. On their own they are walls, especially the one about modding.
While we're at it, I always believed modding was short for modificating, not moderating.

Linking to the Guide Compendium is always good, so good job.
Topic Starter
Yoges
What do you mean? Make the english easier to understand? Break them down into like paragraphs so it's easier to digest them?
Endaris
Paragraphs
Topic Starter
Yoges
Sure sure, I'll have a look when I get some time. Done (?)

About mods

Manysi
Great guide, you really gave me a positive feeling about mapping and a good anime to watch.

I cant agree with everything however.

Yoges wrote:

Look at ranked maps

Newly ranked maps are a great example to learn from. Don’t be afraid of opening them up in editor and copying the techniques you see. That’s the only way you can learn, copying. Don’t be afraid about being “unoriginal” worry about establishing a solid foundation of skills first, then you can worry about developing your style.
This is rather an addition than a disagreement: Dont just copy those techniques mindlessly and hope for that they work. Instead, use what you understand from other maps. If you like something but dont understand it, just ask that mapper. (read more of the post to see why i wrote this)

The only thing that might not be true from what you wrote is that you get better at mapping from mapping more.
It works for the most (or almost everyone). I am thinking of people who had guidance and were led to ''the right path'' where you know what you can use and what not. What i mean by that is there are people who like to begin their mapping career by doing experiments and trying out patterns form ranked maps. They probably wont look at guides and so they wont even know they should make sense and essential things like that. They dont know the basics to experiment with. Therefore, the more they map the worst their mapping will become until they realize what is going on. And some will probably quit then.

This is exactly what happened to me in the past 2 years. During that time i created tons of false theories and misunderstandings because i saw no sign of mapping being a mindful thing. To me it looked more like art where i can do whatever i feel like. You know, mindlessly.

I'm writing this because i dont think i'm the only one who mislead myself. It would just be bad seeing others fell into the pit.
Hope i was understandable, let me know if im not.

So, what you should emphasize with your post Yoges is the be mindful thingy. Tbh i think this guide should deserve exposure.
Endaris

Yoges wrote:

About mods

How is my kudosu-count relevant for the long version of "modding"?
I can only argue from my personal understanding here but "moderating" doesn't make sense as the long form of "modding" as the word how I know it along with its synonyms doesn't quite nail what modding is opposed to "modifying" (yea I wrote modificating before cause german suffix h4x).
Just like I don't apply a moderation to a game but a modification if I alter elements of it...
Topic Starter
Yoges

Manysi wrote:

Great guide, you really gave me a positive feeling about mapping and a good anime to watch.

I cant agree with everything however.

Yoges wrote:

Look at ranked maps

Newly ranked maps are a great example to learn from. Don’t be afraid of opening them up in editor and copying the techniques you see. That’s the only way you can learn, copying. Don’t be afraid about being “unoriginal” worry about establishing a solid foundation of skills first, then you can worry about developing your style.
This is rather an addition than a disagreement: Dont just copy those techniques mindlessly and hope for that they work. Instead, use what you understand from other maps. If you like something but dont understand it, just ask that mapper. (read more of the post to see why i wrote this)

The only thing that might not be true from what you wrote is that you get better at mapping from mapping more.
It works for the most (or almost everyone). I am thinking of people who had guidance and were led to ''the right path'' where you know what you can use and what not. What i mean by that is there are people who like to begin their mapping career by doing experiments and trying out patterns form ranked maps. They probably wont look at guides and so they wont even know they should make sense and essential things like that. They dont know the basics to experiment with. Therefore, the more they map the worst their mapping will become until they realize what is going on. And some will probably quit then.

This is exactly what happened to me in the past 2 years. During that time i created tons of false theories and misunderstandings because i saw no sign of mapping being a mindful thing. To me it looked more like art where i can do whatever i feel like. You know, mindlessly.

I'm writing this because i dont think i'm the only one who mislead myself. It would just be bad seeing others fell into the pit.
Hope i was understandable, let me know if im not.

So, what you should emphasize with your post Yoges is the be mindful thingy. Tbh i think this guide should deserve exposure.

I see what you mean, I'll try to edit something into the post later.

Endaris wrote:

Yoges wrote:

About mods

How is my kudosu-count relevant for the long version of "modding"?
I can only argue from my personal understanding here but "moderating" doesn't make sense as the long form of "modding" as the word how I know it along with its synonyms doesn't quite nail what modding is opposed to "modifying" (yea I wrote modificating before cause german suffix h4x).
Just like I don't apply a moderation to a game but a modification if I alter elements of it...
Oh kudosu cout is irrelevant. I meant look at the description underneath "contribution the user has made to beatmap moderation". I used to think it was modifying too but moderation is actually the correct term and makes more sense when you think about it. To moderate something means to change or control it.
Sotarks
Really awesome guide, I hope new mappers will actually read it instead of complaining about RC etc.. xD
Endaris

Yoges wrote:

Oh kudosu cout is irrelevant. I meant look at the description underneath "contribution the user has made to beatmap moderation". I used to think it was modifying too but moderation is actually the correct term and makes more sense when you think about it. To moderate something means to change or control it.
Haha, looks like I missed that ;)
Topic Starter
Yoges
Kibbleru
copy from ur favourite mappers >< dont mindlessly copy new ranked maps, otherwise ull never develop a style
Topic Starter
Yoges

Kibbleru wrote:

copy from ur favourite mappers >< dont mindlessly copy new ranked maps, otherwise ull never develop a style
Tbh most new mappers copy from their favourite mappers to begin with :P
Xayler
Really like the guide, although I have a one weird thing to explain with mapping.

I tend to like the song, then start mapping it. After like a 1 min is mapped, I start only playing it and listening to the song from the editor. After that I do it kinda all day long, and after that I just give up in mapping, or like get tired of it. Is there any suggestions other than "just go and map"? Because I start feeling like it's a job after it, not a game, etc.
Thanks for the guide.
Topic Starter
Yoges

Xayler wrote:

Is there any suggestions other than "just go and map"?
Nope. There isn't.

You're doing what I used to do a lot which is admiring your creation. There's no harm in doing that (to a point). It's a habit you'll grow out of as you map more and become more serious about it. So yeah, just go and map.
Kibbleru

Yoges wrote:

Xayler wrote:

Is there any suggestions other than "just go and map"?
Nope. There isn't.

You're doing what I used to do a lot which is admiring your creation. There's no harm in doing that (to a point). It's a habit you'll grow out of as you map more and become more serious about it. So yeah, just go and map.
i still do this lol.
Topic Starter
Yoges
Kondou-Shinichi
Pro tips: don't look at others map, if you wanna make unique styles.
Topic Starter
Yoges
^ Words of the inexperienced
show more