forum

Does ar10 require good monitor and high FPS?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Sh0keR
Do you think with newer and better monitors it's easier to read ar10?
7ambda
Yes, but you can still read AR10 with 60hz.
Aqo
require
people these days are a joke or something

in 2012 we used to read AR11 (10+DT) with no dim (because it didn't exist back then), with map backgrounds and storyboards/videos, on old 4:3 60Hz monitors

git gud. AR10 is 450ms, that's almost half a second, which is approximately like forever. even if your screen has 20 frames refresh rate that's like 9 frames you get to stare at the approach circle, which is far more than enough.
-Makishima S-
@Aqo pls teach ar10 ;w; even ar9.6 is a nightmare for filthy nomod farmer ;( jk, love you

I agree with this, better gear will not make you instantly better. WWW was making insane amazing plays with old client few years ago without good gaming gear. Practice and skill > gaming gear. Bikko is a godlike HR player and i doubt he use any 144hz monitor etc.
winber1
literally unless your refresh rate is like 20Hz, running at 20 fps, it barely matters. it might feel smoother at higher fps and refresh rates, but your eyes physically can arguably not even detect 30 fps. in fact, 15fps can look very smooth to the eye under particular circumstances.
chainpullz

Aqo wrote:

require
people these days are a joke or something

in 2012 we used to read AR11 (10+DT) with no dim (because it didn't exist back then), with map backgrounds and storyboards/videos, on old 4:3 60Hz monitors

git gud. AR10 is 450ms, that's almost half a second, which is approximately like forever. even if your screen has 20 frames refresh rate that's like 9 frames you get to stare at the approach circle, which is far more than enough.
Playing with no dim and epilepsy storyboards HDHR is amusing. You get a bit of introspective into why a lot of pro player skins weren't fully transparent hit circles back in the day. It's funny that people spend so much time trying to find ways to get better at this game doing anything other than playing more when that time would be better spent playing more.

-----

Kids these days just don't understand that struggling is an important part of the learning process. You'll never actually be good at anything if you expect everything to be spoonfed to you. In academics you can memorize and/or scribble down all the shortcuts on a cheat sheet and get good grades but if you never actually spent the time deriving those shortcuts by hand you haven't actually learned anything. This applies to basically all learning. "Shortcuts" don't help you learn, they are simply nice to have after you've put the time into actually learning something.

Will a mechanical keyboard magically let you stream like Gayzmcgee? No, but it sure is nice to have once you've spent the time learning to stream like he has. To be honest, he could probably stream similarly fast on a rubber dome keyboard. He might not be able to play as long before his stamina gave out in this case.

Another example, Hvick plays on a 60Hz monitor and he is indisputably the best (from a well rounded perspective) DT player in the world. He also has some of the highest AR11 OD11 accuracy out of all the people who can play it, he just chooses not to play it frequently. Would a 144Hz monitor suddenly turn Hvick into an AR11 god? Not at all. It would just be easier on his eyes from a strain perspective.

The only thing that actually matters for fps is the input delay and that is relative to OD, not AR. The OD window for 300's is ~40ms wide on OD9.6+ which means 240fps cuts off potentially 20% of your hit window (10% on either side) vs the 5% potential cutoff of 1000fps (which is getting to the point of being negligible). The amortized cut off is only half of that so honestly even 240fps is playable. You'd have to be running osu on a toaster or with vsync (which you can just turn off) to have issues with this.
Yolshka
Not exactly a toaster, but I have to use 240 fps limiter to be stable.Obviously it doesn't affect me in any way, especially not at this level, but I just found it interesting since I consider my computer to be pretty good to run osu!(E7300)

The other interesting thing is that when I put it on unlimited, my mouse goes crazy, can't even describe it properly, but like, the cursor kind of hops away.
I'm not really into these tech things, anyone know something about this?
Well i'm really happy that we have an option to put on a limiter.
Deva
I FCed a 4.4* map with barely 30 fps

/thread
I Give Up
Computers in general require a good monitor, one with good colour and contrast balance. But you don't need a "gaming" turbo monitor.

But I disagree that 30 fps is "all you need", I can't see myself delivering top scores with such ridiculous latency it even makes my mouse movement weird. I need my 0.45ms and 60hz tyvm.
Clappy
It does help, but I wasn't a hard rock god before I got the 144hz monitor and guess what, I can BARELY pass hard rock'd songs now. Coinicidence? I think not. How much you play, learning what your weaknesses are, and playing enough to correct them ultimately decides how good you'll get and how fast. Any fancy peripherals may and I do repeat may help you get there. But, if you want to read ar10, if you want to stream 220bpm consistently, if you want to read joint struggle w/ ez mod - no monitor, keyboard, or obstacle will stand in your way, especially if you want it bad enough. \thread
Yuudachi-kun
Up to 10.5 is ok for me with 60hz 240fps.

past that I can't read because I don't practice nor want to nor find it relevant
TakuMii
Good hardware doesn't make a player good, but it will allow a good player to play more comfortably.

Also: the whole 30FPS thing is complete BS (unless you're talking about the minimum threshold that allows the eye to perceive movement as being "smooth", but that's another issue entirely). A trained human eye can consciously perceive images even as fast as 1/220 of a second (220Hz monitor #when), although the amount of difference it would make would likely be negligible.
jesse1412
I got a 144hz, it's placebo with the added effect of looking a bit smoother. People seem to believe "smoother" is easier somehow.
Yuudachi-kun

jesse1412 wrote:

I got a 144hz, it's placebo with the added effect of looking a bit smoother. People seem to believe "smoother" is easier somehow.
So if it's a placebo then it has a real beneficial effect because they would play better believing to play better at 144hz than at 60hz?
Clappy

jesse1412 wrote:

We can get into a debate about what the eye can see (l0l 30fps is all you n33d h4h4 stupid pc gamer wasting money on 144hz when their 3y3s cant s33 it h4h4). Skip the bullshit and tell me the perceived clarity of motion does not make it easier to react to a patterns at higher ar's? Perfect example, I was shit at reading triples at anything higher than ar9 pre144hz monitor. Post144hz monitor, I can magically react to it? If you were able to read higher ar's without 144hz than good for you, you were either genetically hardwired for osu or worked harder than most to learn higher ar's at 60hz.

Now lets throw some hypotheticals, it is damn-near impossible for you to lose a skill like this (osu!) without severe brain trauma. But, if you did succumb to such trauma (god forbid) would you take the trip to mastering osu again with 60hz or 144hz? They exist for a reason, it is not just some big ass marketing scheme.

Companies like ASUS, BenQ, AOC, and Phillips are cashing in big time on placebo? Or (more likely) the perceived clarity of motion that higher refresh rates have to offer.
Yuudachi-kun
I would play osu again at 60hz because it means I can deal with any hz 60+ but if I started again with 144 it means it would be harder if I ever had to go back down
Clappy

Khelly wrote:

I would play osu again at 60hz because it means I can deal with any hz 60+ but if I started again with 144 it means it would be harder if I ever had to go back down
In spite of any financial hardships you may ever face in your life (once again, god forbid) what situation would cause you to not game at a higher refresh rate? Entertain my mind with a single one.
_handholding

chainpullz wrote:

Kids these days just don't understand that struggling is an important part of the learning process
OK DAD
Yuudachi-kun

Clappy wrote:

Khelly wrote:

In spite of any financial hardships you may ever face in your life (once again, god forbid) what situation would cause you to not game at a higher refresh rate? Entertain my mind with a single one.
Not having any available 144hz monitor to use. 8-)

Not wanting to spend the money to acquire said 144hz because 60hz doesn't hinder my performance in the relevant AR's I play and I can spend the leftover money on onaholes and dakimakuras.
Clappy

Khelly wrote:

Not having any available 144hz monitor to use. 8-)

Not wanting to spend the money to acquire said 144hz because 60hz doesn't hinder my performance in the relevant AR's I play and I can spend the leftover money on onaholes and dakimakuras.
That's like saying, if I got use to playing with that ice cream cone, it could hinder my performance if I ever played without it. **Few moments later** Ice cream cone? Man I could spend my money to jack off with plastic, I dont need that shit.

Which means you will never have the ice cream (144hz) to get use to and hinder your performance if you develop a necessity for it in the first place. Want to throw another situation?
show more