forum

Can i finally "read"?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Sebimon
Hey guys,

i've been playing osu! for about two months now, and i noticed something today. I play mostly 4-5* i can barely do with nofail(might seem stupid to some, but i heard it helps improve your speed, also its fun so why not? ツ)

Now as i was playing today, i noticed that instead of thinking where i need to go next, i just did it, and being able to concentrate fully on my tapping. Now, is this called 'being able to read'? I understand most of the terminology of this game but "reading" seems to be the one everyone uses differently. Would be nice if someone could clear this up for me ^^
N0thingSpecial
I think that is you developing muscle memory
Endaris
No.
In a very basic meaning yes because you are hitting the notes you see but not at a high level.
Reading is based on eyemovement and comprehending patterns before you actually play them.
It is split in many different parts and in many cases based more on recognizing a pattern.
The accuracy you get on a map is based on the execution-level of what you are reading. Bad accuracy is often a sign of improper reading or wrong execution(theyre actually coupled in some way)

Check maps like these:
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/343232?m=0
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/41087?m=0

Both kind of special in their own way, extremely different from each other, both not as easy to read, especially on the execution-level.
If you're interested you can give this a read:
t/331848&start=0

or watch this video which only displays a difference of basic reading though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJiRjIMT_yA
Deva
Your reading is probably as good as mine. utter shit
FrzR
You're getting better. Keep it up until you can comfortably play harder maps!
Jellyfish McGub
reading is being able to do it first try?
7ambda

Jellyfish McGub wrote:

That's called sightreading, which isn't the only type of reading. Other types include low AR reading, high AR reading, and technical reading.
dung eater

F1r3tar wrote:

Jellyfish McGub wrote:

That's called sightreading, which isn't the only type of reading. Other types include low AR reading, high AR reading, and technical reading.
I think you could divide it to reading larger patterns with more circles, several of them (lower ar) and the speed at which you can do it (higher ar), Technical reading is just exposing yourself to new patterns. Finger control and rhytm pattern recognition idk where to place.
Sayorie

Endaris wrote:

Bad accuracy is often a sign of improper reading or wrong execution(theyre actually coupled in some way)
or having a bad sense of rhythm which I have
B1rd

Arthraxium wrote:

Endaris wrote:

Bad accuracy is often a sign of improper reading or wrong execution(theyre actually coupled in some way)
Or having atrocious finger control (which I have)
YamiHikari
I'd say your reading is improving, but you should play more maps to justify that. Preferably new maps.
Endaris

Arthraxium wrote:

Endaris wrote:

That's a bad excuse, you don't need rhythm when you can time your hits via the approachcircles.
N0thingSpecial

Endaris wrote:

That's a bad excuse, you don't need rhythm when you can time your hits via the approachcircles.
also the error bar
Endaris

N0thingSpecial wrote:

Endaris wrote:

also the error bar
No, the error bar doesn't help you with hitting on time. It's always too late to regret your actions when you gravely mistimed a note and see it on the errorbar.
_handholding
The only test there is to prove youre good at reading is play freedom dive with EZ mod

N0thingSpecial

Endaris wrote:

No, the error bar doesn't help you with hitting on time. It's always too late to regret your actions when you gravely mistimed a note and see it on the errorbar.
it helped me hit the next one if I hit 100s or 50s on the note before
PinkNightmares

Kisses wrote:

The only test there is to prove youre good at reading is play freedom dive with EZ mod

Stream maps are a lot easier with EZ actually.
Rilene
try furioso melodia with EZ and those 1/3 jumps are hell
or maybe Reol - MONSTER because spam 1/2 jumps
Jellyfish McGub

Rilene wrote:

try furioso melodia with EZ and those 1/3 jumps are hell
or maybe Reol - MONSTER because spam 1/2 jumps
what do fractions mean
Rilene
1/3 = 0.33... = 33.33...%
1/2 = 0.5 = 50%
show more