forum

Has anyone overclocked their monitors

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Jarvis
For us poor mans who cant afford sweet 144Hz, has anyone else tried to overclock past the 60Hz usual. and if so, noticed a massive difference? Even going from 60-75 was a big change for me at least
Clappy

Jarvis wrote:

For us poor mans who cant afford sweet 144Hz, has anyone else tried to overclock past the 60Hz usual. and if so, noticed a massive difference? Even going from 60-75 was a big change for me at least
For about five years, I was on a tried, tested, and true eMachines 1440x900 panel that overclocked from 60hz to 80hz using a vga cable. The difference was massive I highly recommend overclocking a cheapo 60hz panel if it allows it. The clarity of motion from 60 to 75-80hz is worth whatever lifespan you may shave off of it (if at all any, that eMachines panel is still kicking in my closet today).
Topic Starter
Jarvis

Clappy wrote:

Jarvis wrote:

For about five years, I was on a tried, tested, and true eMachines 1440x900 panel that overclocked from 60hz to 80hz using a vga cable. The difference was massive I highly recommend overclocking a cheapo 60hz panel if it allows it. The clarity of motion from 60 to 75-80hz is worth whatever lifespan you may shave off of it (if at all any, that eMachines panel is still kicking in my closet today).
VGA? geeeeeez
TakuMii
I used to have my old CRT overclocked to 167Hz, until it died in a power surge... It looked absolutely fantastic though. I run my current CRT at 144Hz, so I'm still okay for now (or at least until ≥165Hz LCDs become more affordable).

And there's nothing wrong with using VGA... Many modern 60Hz monitors use DVI, which has hard bandwidth limits (which are especially bad in the standard single-link configuration, with a cap of 1920x1200@60Hz), which is the reason why more expensive monitors use dual-link DVI or DisplayPort instead. VGA on the other hand, being analog, is only limited by the quality of the cable, and allows outputs beyond what a typical 60Hz monitor can handle via DVI.