forum

Online Pressure

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Saunamaisteri
Problem details:
Usually before I go to play online, I play few warmup maps offline. When im playing offline I feel relaxed and im doing pretty well, but when I go to online and try to get good scores ( usually aiming for FC if map is 4.40 - 4.80 stars ) I just can't do it because I get so nervous and if I manage to hold combo to the halfway, I usually break soon after it. After I have failed on so many attempts to get a good score I feel depressed and Quit the game.
I would appreciate if someone would give some tips to calm down while playing.

Also sorry for my bad english :P
-Makishima S-
Just play the game like it is supposed to be - don't care about pp, don't care about ranking, care mainly on improvement and play all the time online. Nobody realy cares if you get shit scores, everybody gets them. It's you who overreact everything and care too much about bullshit ranking and this things in honestly SINGLE PLAYER game with some funny ranking with cheaters in top100.
Endaris
Drink tea.
Go into yourself and ask yourself what you play this game for.
You can try to play a lot of multiplayer to get used to direct competition which is especially good because you can't retry in multi and you also don't choose every map you play.
When playing a lot of multi, submitting mediocre scores becomes a habit and from that point it's not far to randomly FC stuff.
DeathHydra
Just fight through that nervousness. I also got nervous towards the end if I keep the combo (hence many As on my top ranks) and I'm doing fine.

If you're confident you can FC those maps, just keep trying and you will get it someday. Just don't retry it too much on the same day
Endaris

DeathAdderz wrote:

If you're confident you can FC those maps, just keep trying and you will get it someday. Just don't retry it too much on the same day
Only at the price of major frustration if it's a longer map...

There are like 20 more plays with 98,5%+ HD and nomod, usually 1 to 3 misses.
And tons of uncounted ones because I lost any motivation to keep playing after breaking at 5,6,7,8,9 hundredish combo. You can tell from the 147 plays I have on it...
And it's not even a hard map.
And the tries were spread over months.
Just don't do that.
N0thingSpecial
I say fuck calm, bathe in the hand sweat and adrenaline till your heart stop beating from the nerves.
DeathHydra

Endaris wrote:

DeathAdderz wrote:

And tons of uncounted ones because I lost any motivation to keep playing after breaking at 5,6,7,8,9 hundredish combo. You can tell from the 147 plays I have on it...
Just don't do that.
Welp. Happened to me too actually. FCing long maps are hard...
7ambda
Remind yourself that your acc is shit (even if it's not) while playing. It's a good way to keep your mind off the pressure.
Deva

F1r3tar wrote:

Remind yourself that your acc is shit (even if it's not) while playing. It's a good way to keep your mind off the pressure.
But what if im SSing?
7ambda

HK_ wrote:

But what if im SSing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCCxF4q80Ps
chainpullz

Endaris wrote:

DeathAdderz wrote:

Just don't do that.
dung eater
getting exited is good

get frustrated at the thing you did, try not to do it again (practice, concentrate)

there's no reason to get frustrated at yourself, just the things that caused you to do whatever you don't want to do again
Jellyfish McGub
play more
Endie-
Punch yourself in the face and tell yourself to man up.
YamiHikari
Just don't think about fc, or anything. You can play lots or a couple of maps, those that you like or is best for warm up (usually longer maps) and then once you feel you're more warmed up and can play at your best ability for that day, play the maps you think you can fc. The fc will come naturally especially when you're really warmed up.
Remember not to panic. But.. Don't be too serious too or else you'll more than likely mess up. Chokes aren't the best but its what you have to face on osu, accept them and take it as "i can fc this next time" go on to other maps instead of retrying and getting frustrated.
Cocoa-
Find a way to beat

THE PRESSURE
Topic Starter
Saunamaisteri
Thanks for the advices everyone. I hope these will help me. :)
Topic Starter
Saunamaisteri

Cocoa- wrote:

Find a way to beat

THE PRESSURE
Haha :lol:
Ninonuko
If you feel the pressure from playing online probably you're just not ready to go online.
Don't rush for rank, just go for it when you're at good consistency and you feel you most likely to get pp in few tries otherwise just keep practicing in offline. I do it but I don't recommend this though
Evil_Dude
I know it's hard to do, as I typically have anxiety issues myself, but the trick is to train yourself not to care. I find that this applies to offline as well. Whenever you're trying to improve, trying to beat a score, you tend to worry about it in the back of your mind. It's almost surprising how much this affects ability to play. I notice it when it happens to me. I'll realize "shit, I'm getting nervous" and I'll do my best to clear my mind. I try to let my mind go blank as if I'm hypnotized by the game (which actually happens sometimes, haha).

I personally straight up tell people "I suck at this game" so that I know they won't have any expectations and, thus, nothing to worry about. It's all for funs.
OniGagaku
Try to play as if it was an offline game, maybe drink some tea (no shit, it helps more than people might think^^) and just play without caring about anything. Ranking, PP and stuff like that shouldn't be important to you. Keep this in mind and you'll get over the nervousness :D
Risa
Maybe just play online all the time.
No need to care about going offline to hide playcount / bad scores. Seriously no one will probably care.