forum

How do you move your cursor around? (No really)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Hiyorin
I don't mean, do you use a tablet or mouse etc.
What I'm trying to ask is, do you move your cursor around relative to it's current position (eg. this much to the left, or that much down)
or do you move your cursor around to an absolute position? (eg. move it to that place on the screen, move it there).
I've always wondered about this while playing osu!, as I found out I move my cursor relative to it's current position, and wanted to see if anyone else is similar. Because I assume the second way is the "norm"..
Shiirn
In general, if you're thinking about what you're doing, you're not doing it correctly.

Any osu! player moves by instinct more than thought. The two ways you described are very similar, as they have identical movements and identical results, the only difference is the mental "moving from A to B" or "pulling to B from A", of which most players wouldn't even think about. I can't even decide which I use, really.
Topic Starter
Hiyorin

Shiirn wrote:

In general, if you're thinking about what you're doing, you're not doing it correctly.
Thats not very fair. Some people like to race cars, disregarding what car, others want to make theirs faster, while others want to figure out how it works.
Shael_old
Games are 90% Reflex, the more you play, the more you can get used to it and do it by reflexes, wich leads to better gameplay.
Zetta
With tablets and especially touch screens it's beyond easy to determine the distance.

Mouses are a little iffy because of the sensitivity but if you can stick to one sense and get it down you won't even think about where you need to go half the time. You'll just end up there.
Kitsunemimi
Hmm... If I really think about this.... I feel that I move my cursor relative to it's current position. Occasionally, I try doing it the other way, moving it to an absolute position, and I think it works better. This second technique doesn't come so naturally for me though. Also, I use a mediumish mouse acceleration, contrary to popular belief (it's a mouse driver setting; same accel and sensitivity I use everywhere so I'm used to it) so it makes it more difficult to accurately judge where to move.
Shael_old

Zetta wrote:

With tablets and especially touch screens it's beyond easy to determine the distance.

Mouses are a little iffy because of the sensitivity but if you can stick to one sense and get it down you won't even think about where you need to go half the time. You'll just end up there.
Not really.
Sup A Noob
I finally understand what you were asking.

In the case I wasn't playing half-asleep (instincts), which means I'm fully concious (thinking), I'll be "moving my cursor around relative to it's current position". Of course my hit accuracy drops (not the 100s and the 50s, the actual misses) consequently since I put too much thought into where I should bring the mouse to.
Waryas
I don't think about it, it's all reflexes.
Nekoroll
More often than not, I do by absolute positioning on my tablet. It's just second nature to me where a note on the map corresponds to what area on the tablet and before I know it, my pen is already there.
Topic Starter
Hiyorin

Nekoroll wrote:

More often than not, I do by absolute positioning on my tablet. It's just second nature to me where a note on the map corresponds to what area on the tablet and before I know it, my pen is already there.
I can understand what you mean, but I use a mouse with no mousepad. So there is pretty much no way I can move around absolutely, as I "reset" my hand at every break or so. Is this a bad thing? This way, I pretty much can't muscle memory my way around so I'll basically never be able to whip my hand straight to a location without thinking
Shiirn

FruitTingles wrote:

Nekoroll wrote:

I can understand what you mean, but I use a mouse with no mousepad. So there is pretty much no way I can move around absolutely, as I "reset" my hand at every break or so. Is this a bad thing? This way, I pretty much can't muscle memory my way around so I'll basically never be able to whip my hand straight to a location without thinking
Not necessarily. I also play with a mouse with no mousepad with ALOT of re-positioning, and I'm able to make some of the most retarded jumps (My clicks, however, cannot keep up.)

Everyone creates their own playstyle as they play. There's no two people on osu that will have the exact same skillset. There is no such thing as "better".
KRZY
Dunno what level of player you are, but if you play Normal and less, you really don't have to worry about how you move your cursor, just follow them notes and you'll to just fine.

For Hard and above difficulties, jumps start to appear, and it becomes trickier. For me, a tablet player for six months now, most notes fall within my "instintive" hand movement--that is, I flow the cursor down a line of notes and they generally fit the spacing. For jumps or polygonal spacings, however, that does not work well. In those cases, I pin my pen down to specific note locations, which really works well for those crazy jumps like TAG4 maps or spacings like Masterpiece.

For mouse users, idk, I used to try hard to move cursors accurately to notes as quickly as possible for jumps so I have that micro-extra time to adjust my cursor if I'm off-target before I actually have to hit the note, but that is very, very hard and one of the main reasons why I switched over to a tablet.
Topic Starter
Hiyorin

KRZY wrote:

For mouse users, idk, I used to try hard to move cursors accurately to notes as quickly as possible for jumps so I have that micro-extra time to adjust my cursor if I'm off-target before I actually have to hit the note,
LOL I know exactly what you mean. xDD

Shiirn wrote:

(My clicks, however, cannot keep up.)
I find that clicking is the easiest part (mouse only), but it is the jumps that I always miss :S
I guess that is because whenever I need to click my mouse, it jiggles a bit. And when I need to hit 16th notes, my hand HAS to be a certain way to do it or else I'll end up with 300 300 50 x x x x x
SilentWings_old
I try to get to the notes before it actually ticks. I do this with both mouse and tablet (for me, its much harder with tablet).
Wishy
If you actually have trouble with fast jumps (like you can't keep up with their speed), try increasing (little by little) your sens/DPI. When I played with mouse, I had some trouble with long jumps because my sens was kinda low, and because of that I had to go from Japan to Italy for each jump. xd
Hanyuu
im moving to the exact location for jumps and everything else i move smoothly
Topic Starter
Hiyorin

Hanyuu wrote:

I find it takes more effort to try and move around smoothly then to just jump to each individual note quickly
those

FruitTingles wrote:

I find it takes more effort to try and move around smoothly then to just jump to each individual note quickly
This is true for me as well. But with streams, you can't help but to move your mouse smoothly and click at the same time, and that proves to be a challenge sometimes.
Xaffy

Hanyuu wrote:

Same here. It's pretty much all reflex though, unless it's some unintuitive pattern.