forum

How to practice alternating between two buttons?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Slay
I'm kind of new to osu and the only thing I can do is play Normal difficulty maps (and some Hard) and I got S rank on most maps that I've played. I can't progress to harder maps because I can't click my keyboard as fast as the rings appear. I really want to practice alternating between two buttons but I don't know how, could anyone help me? :?
Mahogany
Um have you tried doing it over and over again until your fingers learn the motion
deletemyaccount

Mahogany wrote:

Um have you tried doing it over and over again until your fingers learn the motion
I guess OP means that their brain can't seem to adjust with alternating between each key.

either way this guy is right just alternate more. Also if you plan on playing full alternate, it is a good idea to be able to start streams with either finger, this will be very useful later on.
Topic Starter
Slay

Mahogany wrote:

Philantropist wrote:

Mahogany wrote:

I guess OP means that their brain can't seem to adjust with alternating between each key.

either way this guy is right just alternate more. Also if you plan on playing full alternate, it is a good idea to be able to start streams with either finger, this will be very useful later on.
Thank you for the tips! And yes, Phil is right, I just can't adjust to it but I'll keep trying I guess. Thanks again! :D
Deva
Alternate more? Seriously wtf
Sayorie
Start with BPM or AR (beats per minute or approach rate) that you are comfortable with, then start to go higher by increments
e.g. start with 150 bpm, then 160 170 180... // start with AR 6 then 6.5, 7, 7.5, 8

There are plethoras of maps you can download, and it's up to you to find those. Make use of keywords to easily find them.
Topic Starter
Slay

HK_ wrote:

Alternate more? Seriously wtf
The thing is that I mess up all the time if I try to, that's why I made this thread.

Arthraxium wrote:

Start with BPM or AR (beats per minute or approach rate) that you are comfortable with, then start to go higher by increments
e.g. start with 150 bpm, then 160 170 180... // start with AR 6 then 6.5, 7, 7.5, 8

There are plethoras of maps you can download, and it's up to you to find those. Make use of keywords to easily find them.
Thanks! I'll start doing that!
Dre-
Why do people jump right into alternation when they arent fast enough to single tap? you didnt even try to get faster to single tap those maps I mean there isn't a "right" way to play osu you can do what you want but thats my opinion if its to hard as a mental block for you to alternate try practicing single taps and vice versa just alt everything and you'll be fine.
abraker
A good way to practice it is to tap with 2 fingers to a song you are listening to. That would build up the motor skills needed to alternate. Then in osu!, I would tap however you feel like it. It may take some time to get the habit of single tapping out, but eventually you should get the jist of alternation this way.
Jellyfish McGub
play more
kurodahatsuharu
I'm start to play osu with alternating tap right at the beginning and i don't have any problem with it because i play osu mania before. So maybe you start with osu mania first.
ithgyu
zxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzx

By then you might have a basic understanding. (1/2 beats)
Deva

kmill wrote:

The thing is that I mess up all the time if I try to, that's why I made this thread.
Alternate easier stuff until you learn it.
YamiHikari
Yeah hm, maybe jump back a star on difficulty and learn to alternate. Try songs which require more alternating like Yousei Teikoku maps e.g. The Creator.. or Jump maps?
Wouldn't be easy but it'd probably take at least 500 plays to get used to, good luck and patience pls~ :D
silento
Think of your other finger as another way to hit the note. To alternate, you should learn some finger control by fully understanding what your fingers are doing. Keep that as a goal in mind or something as you play idk.
Endaris
Learning to alternate means learning to get good accuracy on barely slow maps with a low percentage of sliders.
On sliderheavy maps alternating is really easy as you always have a lot of time to prepare the next note in your mind and accuracy isn't really relevant too.
I used to make myself a collection with practice maps to train my alternating skills but I think they might still be a bit hard for you:
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/54321
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/72316
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/66096
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/200909
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/171917

So just play more for now and try to get your brain going. The first few days are the hardest, just make sure to play enough in a day but not too much.
Most of your learning process happens while sleeping so yeah, you will make a lot of progress within a week if you play enough but it's hard to speed up the process above that.