forum

Review something.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
adam2046
Books, food, albums, games, your lamp, etc.
Give your opinion on it, whatever it is.

Dead Space (Regrettably played on normal.)
Boxed For Wall of Text
Although it is a horror game, Dead Space was rarely actually scary. Enemies could appear in any room and often would almost every single bloody time. It gives the game a lot of tension but the fact that the enemies just burst out of air ducts, the roof or just lie on the floor pretending to be dead (not surprising the 1st or 5th time) just makes you expect them. The only truly scary part of the game is when you are being chased by an enemy who is invincible, and even that's pretty much just a ripoff of a dozen other (much better done) horror games.
The gameplay is fun though, a pretty good third person shooter even though the whole dismemberment angle made some enemies incredibly frustrating to aim at (and even worse in zero G). Fights are generally fun and satisfying but frustrating when you're surrounded by 6 different enemies. The item system is a bit annoying early on with you only able to carry a few items before upgrading your suit leading to you backtracking to items you couldn't pick up before to sell. Boss battles are few, about 5 battles with one of them being a rehash of a previous battle and another reused as a powerful enemy.
Puzzles consist of either using bullet time stasis field to slow things down to move through or gravity gun kinesis module to move things incredibly slowly.
The story itself is cliche and predictable right down to what the characters will do and any characters you meet who has not been named can pretty much be guaranteed to die immediately in some gruesome manner. The backstory is almost entirely told through audio logs, text logs and video logs, and although the audio logs are generally quite well done, this is an incredibly lazy way to go about it. There is a text log near the end of game that literally explains the whole history of the mysterious cult religion.
The music is mostly boring horror LOUD STRINGS SOMETHING IS HAPPENING and background noise consisted of some metallic sounds and occasionally some mysteeeeeriooous~ whispers. The sound effects themselves were generally well done and the parts of the ship without had some nice (lack of) sound.
Out of the whole game, the best parts were probably the ones that don't involve enemies and instead involved looking at pretty parts of space, along with the mechanical design of the weapons, ships, etc.
Still fun despite all the annoying design decisions.
tl;dr Fun 3rd person shooter. Crap horror.

Wedges
Too much salt covering up the taste of the spices. :(
Jarby
General Discussion » Review something.

I like this thread. It promotes user content and originality in a format we should all be familiar and comfortable with. Despite this, nothing of the sort has come up as a thread on osu! before. I am happily awaiting the receival of more replies.
Firo Prochainezo
Skittles
The orange ones suck. Please change that.
mekadon_old
Pipelining (Firefox)
Simply, simply useless. You might get a very little increasement, say 2%.

Medal of Honor
Thoughtful and coherent story, smooth gunplay, good SE and BG score. Also comes with unbalanced multiplayer, inconsistent graphics. It also has some technical issues in the campaign. It's developed by Activision, the same guys who made Call of Duty.

Castlevania: LoS
Fluid content. Epic fun. Cumbersome cameras. Puzzles are pretty smart. If you'd played Castlevania before then I recommend it. In PS3, xbox360 and PC.

Nokia N8
Xenon flash. Great camera. Oh wait, battery voids warranty after 2 Torx screws opened at the battery compartment. Battery life is 1 day if you ask me. Quite a good combination for a phone and a camera. Again, Xenon flash is back!

Razer's TRON Legacy peripherals
Lights are sexy; just sexy. Can't afford it but I tried the mouse at some convention few days, or weeks back. Looks epic when played in the dark, I'm so fucking sure about it.

Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750
Solar-powered so keyboard deaths during gaming can be avoided. Of course you need direct light at the solar panel, which is situated at the top as usual above those F1~F12 keys.

Any AMD Phenom/Athlon(?) X2/X3 processors
Save costs instead of buying a Phenom X4. Unlock those extra cores since AMD is cheap. Very prone to BSoDs during unlocking though. However, you need a motherboard that supports core unlocking, that is a little pricey, but nevertheless when added with the cost of an X2/X3 one price is a little almost the same though.
Faust
My chest
Well, it's flat. Not much meat on there.
Larto
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe - Die Leiden des jungen Werther
DUDE I UNDERSTAND THAT YOUR BOOKS ARE GREAT PIECES OF ART BUT COULD YOU TRY TO WRITE IN A WAY THAT YOU DON'T HAVE TO READ EVERY LINE TWICE
Firo Prochainezo

Larto wrote:

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe - Die Leiden des jungen Werther
DUDE I UNDERSTAND THAT YOUR BOOKS ARE GREAT PIECES OF ART BUT COULD YOU TRY TO WRITE IN A WAY THAT YOU DON'T HAVE TO READ EVERY LINE TWICE
I like him. A lot.
Larto
He has pretty interesting stories sometimes. Faust for example was a nice read. But maaan, it's so confusing to read. Probably because he wrote that stuff 400 years ago. But still.
Firo Prochainezo
Yeah, but Gretchen's tragedy was pretty easy to read IMO.
mekadon_old
Prosperity Burger - McDonald's
Beef Strip+Black Pepper. One of my favorites. Seasonal. idk whether it's only for asia but meh
thepianist
Braid
Press shift to undo what is done such as typing this sen

(No really, the puzzles are the delightful. Maybe a bit short, but it is well worth the price. IIRC there are a few hours left on the humble bundle with it too.)
Mashley

mekadon wrote:

It's developed by Activision, the same guys who made Call of Duty.
Activision don't develop games.
I will review Christmas after it has happened.
Krisom
Golden Sun Dark Dawn

Main Characters:
6 of the main cast has a charming personality, the other 2 are plain boring and feel rushed, specially the last adept.

Story:
The start and the ending feel forced, the ending is specially sucky, though the story does a good job on keeping you intersted on what will happen next.

Map:
Fells tiny and claustrophobic, nothing like the old Golden Suns. Also, it's way too linear.

Difficulty:
Puzzles are too easy, story bosses are too easy too :/, the other bosses are hard as hell though :U

Gameplay:
Battle system improved a lot. Psyenergies on the mapfield and dungeons were simplified and there's not enough of them. Considering this is for the nintendo DS; they could have created way better puzzles for this.
Roddie

mekadon wrote:

Medal of Honor
It's developed by Activision, the same guys who made Call of Duty.
??

Activision never developed that game and they don't have rights to that game as well . EA are the ones that do and its developed by a different staff team...
Mara
Before Call of Duty came, IW (made CoD) was making the first Medal of Honor as other devteam. After some problems with EA, IW was founded. Not 100% though, this is all I can remember.

...except if you are talking about new MoH.
mekadon_old

LunaticMara wrote:

...except if you are talking about new MoH.
Ok I made a mistake there. The mew MoH is developed by DICE after I rechecked. And I still wonder why it's in the Activision directory in ProgramFiles.
Nekoroll
Kensington SlimType Keyboard
Very durable keyboard with scissor switch keys. It's apparently one of the best scissor switch keyboards and at a value too (~$25). I've had mine for 4-5 years now and the performance has not diminished at all. Everything works great. Only thing that is different are the key textures have worn off on keys that I use a lot, and the chrome border where I rest my palm under the spacebar has turned into a tan color, but it doesn't feel any different.

Very slim and quite portable. I especially use the calculator shortcut button on the top a lot too. There are other shortcut buttons on it but I don't really have a need for them. I use this for everything when I'm on my computer. Games are fine, typing is excellent and I've been told that when I type on it, it sounds like I'm using a mechanical keyboard. My brother has also been using this keyboard for 3 years and with no complaints at all. The price for the keyboard has not gone up since the day I first bought it. I would definitely buy this keyboard again if I needed another.

Also, the keys are super easy to pop out and pop back in if you ever need to clean it up. Out of all the times I've popped my keys back in and out, none of the keycaps have broken or show signs of damage. I am extremely happy with my purchase.
Rolled
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader-

The biggest let down I've had in probably any movie, ever. Chronicles is my favorite movie series probably of all time, but the third movie just seemed low-budget (in comparison to 1 and 2, more-so 2), rushed, and as if it didn't need to even take place. Caspian couldn't even explain why they got sucked into Narnia. Plot sucked.

It was also somewhat creepy on an incestuous level.

I recommend all Chronicles fans go see it so you can share my pain and rage.
Doomsday
[Can't remember the make] Minifridge
Small, but well made minifridge that keeps food and drink cold. Easily stored and pretty quiet.

It can also hold 2 275ml bottles of 4 different flavours of VK easily (and a box of maltesers in the door). Shame that I have 5 flavours, so looks like I'll be drinking the Cherry while it's warm. Too bad.

4/5
Natteke
Air Doll (movie)

I didn't quite understand the plot. The music, however, was awesome! And the final part of movie is so touching and emotional yet still it's confusing D:
Mashley

Rolled wrote:

Chronicles is my favorite movie series probably of all time
What about Twilight, Rolled?
Topic Starter
adam2046
Dynamite Warrior
SPOILER
The movie wasn't nearly as cool as the premise made it sound. The main character didn't exactly use rockets to fight but rather just shot a whole lot of rockets at people and then kneed them in the face. There was only really one scene where the rockets were used to decent effect where the main character had laid a trap by filling a room's walls and floor with rockets.

The fight scenes themselves were generally decent in their execution with the usual Muay Thai assortment of knees and elbows to various people's faces. The sound effects are decent and do the job of giving the visuals some weight.

The music was mostly bland and there was one piece that kept being repeated over and over which really got on my nerves.

The acting ranged from cheesy to terrible, but mostly cheesy. While the villain is mildly entertaining to watch, the main character is dull and boring with his only redeeming points being when he stands around looking cool and when he knees people in the face.

The plot of the movie was terrible and predictable with plot twists coming from a mile away (which I'm pretty sure the people who made this knew) and crappy romance. This would probably be excusable if the action was really good and it led to some really cool fight scenes, but it never really does.

By far the stand out point of the movie is the fact that a couple of the people the main character fights have magic force powers which led to some amusing/interesting scenes of the magicians throwing props each other with their minds.

Overall the movie is decent and doesn't take itself too seriously but the fact that the main character seems mentally deficient really gets on my nerves.
SapphireGhost
My Life: The Movie
SPOILER
Very bad
Ekaru
2000 version of Hamlet starring Ethan Hawke

Ethan Hawke can't do Hamlet. He mumbles the entire fucking movie. The director was a moron too; when Hamlet was carrying you-know-who's corpse away he stopped in the middle of a locker room to call his mom for no real reason whatsoever. Among other stupid things. The director was so focused on the visuals and his "brilliant" ideas that he didn't realize that actors are important in plays and that the majority of the population does not give a flying fuck about imagery if everyone's either mumbling or half-assing it.

Digimon

Bandai, please decide what you want to do with the franchise already. AKA stop sucking/failing. Thanks.

Bakugan

Dear Spinmaster:

You know how to innovate. You've been doing all kinds of cool stuff, and Mechtanium Surge looks neat, and the Mechtogan seem interesting. However, you suck at balancing and your "rulebook" sucks ass. It's one page that does not adequately explain anything, leading to the majority of the population not knowing what to do when certain situations arise. You also create special types of Bakugan, but their rules aren't in the "rulebook". They're only on the site in the FAQ. I doubt many kids know how their special Bakugan work.

Also, Sky & Gaia Dragonoid is retarded once you know how it works.

And the lid of a 30 gallon Sterlite tub >>>>> your shitty, overpriced arenas.

At least you aged the protagonists to be High Schoolers. Wait, that makes everything seem even MORE ridiculous. Hmm...

Please take your game seriously.

Sincerely,
Someone Who Needs To Finish His College App and is Probably Going to Get Insulted by Tode for Admitting This
Mogsy
Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai:
To give a tl;dr version right away: It was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. However, I still did not enjoy watching it and found there to be much better slice-of-life out there. Give this one a pass.

Kosaka Kyosuke is an average 17-year-old high school student who takes pride in the cozy, average life around him. He one day comes home to find a DVD hidden on the porch of his house; a case for a kid's anime hiding a little sister eroge. He brings it up at the dinner table, much to his anti-otaku father's dismay, and finds out through some easy detective work that it belongs to his 14-year-old sister, Kirino. Kirino, who has never been on speaking terms with him, reveals that night that she is an otaku, one who is particularly obsessed with little sister eroge. The series then basically follows around these two, with Kirino often asking Kyosuke for 'advice', which ends up turning into favors that help her out while at the same time making Kyosuke look worse and worse as a person.

I did not give that great of a plot summary, but going into this show, I thought that this was going to turn into an incest anime, no joke. Well, for those who give a crap, it thankfully does not. However, the series does try its best to create accidental perv moments for Kyosuke and attempts to drop hints on both sides that there are latent feelings present. These two things turned me off from the show even more, since it felt, well, creepy and unnecessary. This also makes the romance that should have been canon, Manami and Kyosuke (plain girl and plain guy that basically act like they are tailor-made for each other, and this is even brought up in the show) is forsaken (because Kyosuke would rather "lead an average, quiet life" and would turn down anybody who said that they liked him). But beyond this, what is there in OreImo?

The answer is a whole lot of fucking around. OreImo showcases Kirino coming out of the otaku closet slowly but surely, much to the dismay of her parents and friends from school, with help from Kyosuke. Additional supporting characters from the otaku side of the equation, Saori (who looks like a skinny, tall, female version of every otaku sterotype ever) and Kuroneko (a tsundere gothic-lolita-outfit-wearing otaku obsessed with dark fantasy anime), befriend Kirino very early on. This leads to many of the events of the story taking place, such as visiting Summerket and Kirino writing her own novel (as well as getting it published and turned into an anime). This pretty much culminates in Kirino outwardly embracing her otakudom. The series does have dramatic moments thrown in there, but they come off as forced and have a tendency to resolve themselves or predictably resolve. The drama in OreImo just does not work, if not due to some haphazard placement and execution; the drama tends to occur halfway through the episode or towards the very end and the characters themselves do not develop enough to really care. The last episode of the series even attempts to be dramatic, but at that point, the topic that comes up feels shoehorned and not really worth caring about. Not to mention the fact that it resolves itself.

That leads me to another one of my problems with OreImo: the pacing. I initially thought that the anime was just dragging on every episode because I wanted it to be over, but when I watched it with my brain shut off, I found that the pacing really is sluggish in OreImo. I found myself expecting the credits to roll when the halfway-point-marker comes up. It felt like they tried to cram as much as they could into a single episode, so the series just drags on. You'd think that with pacing like this, they'd try to fit in more character development, but nope, characters sans Kirino never really get past what you see from the beginning. Kyosuke stays embarrassed about his sister, Manami stays hopelessly in love with Kyosuke and plain, Kuroneko stays, well, a bitch. Saori is given an interesting bit in one episode, where blatant foreshadowing of a future episode takes place in her own home; we never see her face, but the end of the scene cuts to a picture of Saori, Kuroneko, and Kirino. This fact is never explored on, just like how Kuroneko's character is never explored on. Everybody in this anime, despite minor amounts of development from Kirino (who basically just goes from tsundere brat to otaku tsundere brat), feels like a cardboard cutout.

There must be something about this I liked, though, right? Yes, as a matter of fact. The animation, for one, is clean and shortcuts are almost never visible. I wouldn't call it beautiful, but I'd call it competent. Character designs are striking and memorable, despite how much I loathe the moe art style. The music is a mixed bag. I would not call myself a fan of the song used in the OP; it's a catchy, generic j-pop song, but something just does not feel right about it to me. The constantly changing ending songs/sequences were nice (even if some episodes omitted an ending sequence altogether), even if I did not like a single one of the songs used. The OST, however, is used correctly most of the time (when not repeating the same song for moments of different expression), and I enjoyed listening to it more than I enjoyed the dialogue. Most of OreImo's background music is heavily influenced by third-wave ska, and it feels tightly-composed and enjoyable to listen to, even outside of the anime. The voice acting wasn't bad, but I feel like Taketatsu Ayana has two modes: demure/sad and bitch. Taketatsu played Kirino, and that felt just awkward, having such an unlikeable main character with no emotional variation. When your least competent actress is your leading lady, you know you have problems.

Overall, skip OreImo unless you're into the moe slice of life genre. It's as shallow as it is short and horribly paced, with some decent soundtrack work and animation. It's fluff, it is there to waste time. If you have 6 hours and nothing to do, there are better things, but this could be an option.
Rolled

Mashley wrote:

Rolled wrote:

Chronicles is my favorite movie series probably of all time
What about Twilight, Rolled?
10/10
those

Mogsworth wrote:

Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai:
That reminds me, I was planning on watching that.
Vish024
I'll review adam2046:

"........................................................."

There that sums him up.
Topic Starter
adam2046
The Problem of Cell 13 by Jacques Futrelle

The most famous and well liked in a series of stories starring "The Thinking Machine" Professor Augustus S. F. X. Van Dusen, Ph.D., LL.D., F.R.S., M.D., M.D.S., The Problem of Cell 13 is an incredibly entertaining locked room mystery. In it, the professor is talked into proving that he is, indeed, smarter than everyone else (and that nothing is impossible) by escaping from a death row prison cell without being noticed.
The professor proceeds to troll the hell out of everyone involved.

While the story and mystery itself aren't amazing or complex, the character of The Thinking Machine himself is incredibly entertaining because he is essentially a giant prick who acts, and genuinely is, smarter than everyone else involved in the story.
Linco
4-Step Manicure File
Works great. Awesome results >:B