forum

Relative tracking mode for tablets?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Mahogany
Hiya

I have a Huion 420.

My tablet aim is alright. My mouse aim is utter shit.

Does anyone here know if it's possible to set my tablet to use relative tracking instead of absolute tracking so that I could use it as a control method for other games? I've searched for this before but come up with nothing.

Thanks in advance
Jellyfish McGub
ive tried it before, it is so terrible.

there is probably a program that can do this for you. if there isnt a "dead zone" in the middle of your tablet that you can set then your cursor will instantly fly to the corners of your screen (or you will spin in place a million times if you are playing a fp game)
Topic Starter
Mahogany

Jellyfish McGub wrote:

if there isnt a "dead zone" in the middle of your tablet that you can set then your cursor will instantly fly to the corners of your screen (or you will spin in place a million times if you are playing a fp game)
Yeah, I did it too and this is because of how absolute tracking works in a 3d environment compared to a 2d environment.

I'm hoping to find some way of simulating a mouse eg it will only track what direction is being moved when it's being moved instead of the position on the tablet so that it will work properly
Jellyfish McGub
this is something that really needs to be personalized and that is why i dont know if there is a program out there that is good enough to satisfy specific needs for specific people
Topic Starter
Mahogany
Well here's hoping somebody will be able to help me with this or something idk
Yuudachi-kun
Stick tablet pen theough mouse and use mouse on tablet.

This will fix your mouse aim
Topic Starter
Mahogany
How the fuck am I supposed to keep the mouse flat

Also weight and cumbersome
-Makishima S-
As far as i know tablet read screen resolution via drivers and set active area on surface. Each point in active area represents points on screen. It's fairly impossible to set relative tracking on tablet due different pointing mechanism. Mouse reads movement - that's why it's impossible to "teleport" your cursor from place to place with it. Tablet from other hand read position, not movement itself - that's why you can easiely teleport your cursor from place to place.
Topic Starter
Mahogany
Well, as far as I understood, tablets worked due to magnets causing the tablet to "know" where your cursor should be, magnets underneath your tablet surface being attracted by magnets in your pen, or something like that, idk.

I wouldn't think it an impossibility that software would exist to instead track the movement of the magnets

But hell, I know nothing, maybe I'm wrong. I'm just hoping I'm not D:
Jellyfish McGub
i assume that a program would be able to read the information being sent from the tablet and translate that into relative movement.
chainpullz
Mouse mode works in mmos iirc (will probably need to mess with scroll speed in game though). My mouse aim was always better at hovering over nameplates anyways though so it never actually came in handy.
Topic Starter
Mahogany

chainpullz wrote:

Mouse mode works in mmos iirc
Well, on MMOs aren't you still moving your mouse on a 2d plane? The world is 3d but you're moving a cursor over your fov.

I'm more talking about, say, for example, FPS games, where your facing is locked to your cursor movement.
chainpullz

Mahogany wrote:

chainpullz wrote:

Mouse mode works in mmos iirc
Well, on MMOs aren't you still moving your mouse on a 2d plane? The world is 3d but you're moving a cursor over your fov.

I'm more talking about, say, for example, FPS games, where your facing is locked to your cursor movement.
Depends on what camera setting you use. Now that you say that, I'm pretty sure the way I got it to work was to use the setting that auto centers the camera in the direction your character is facing. There is also probably a FPS style camera setting that no one uses because you aren't able to easily discern whether you are standing in fire (jk most people are retarded and stand in it anyways so this really doesn't make a difference) because of your entire screen being blocked by the ass of some giant cockmonster.
The Gambler
Get a Wacom. It has relative tracking built into the options panel. I've seen even the CTL 470 having them...
Topic Starter
Mahogany
Boo spending money

Thanks for the heads-up though. I might look into it if anything ever happens to my huion
The Gambler

Mahogany wrote:

Boo spending money
Thanks for the heads-up though. I might look into it if anything ever happens to my huion
Just a luxury that most Wacom users already have. It works really nicely with FPS games as well.
I played the entirety of Half-Life with a tablet; was a little awkward doing "tap to shoot" at first but got used to it with time.
I Give Up
Tablet aiming in FPS is extremely difficult worse than mouse. Frosty trolls around with this on his stream.
Yuudachi-kun

KukiMonster wrote:

Tablet aiming in FPS is extremely difficult worse than mouse. Frosty trolls around with this on his stream.
I always wanted to try this but the sensitivity was fucked.
Topic Starter
Mahogany

The Gambler wrote:

Just a luxury that most Wacom users already have.
Yeah, I've been thinking about getting a Wacom for a while anyway. The promise of a larger area and a lighter, less bulky pen has been really attractive, and this might be the thing that pushes me to getting one.

KukiMonster wrote:

Tablet aiming in FPS is extremely difficult worse than mouse.
Do you have any idea how bad I am at mouse aim

No matter how much more difficult it is, I guarantee I'll still be better than with mouse
Deva
Just dont...
Topic Starter
Mahogany
dont what
Deva
Dont use relative tracking on tablet.
Topic Starter
Mahogany
Have you tried playing an FPS with absolute tracking on

It doesn't work
show more