forum

Starting Osu! Mania

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
OniGagaku
Sooooo, I've been playing quite a lot of Osu! Standart and got a little burnt out. I've tried the different game modes and got pretty hooked to Osu! Mania. Now I want to start playing it more often, but I don't want to step in without any information, so it would be nice if someone could answer me some questions I got :D

1. Should I specialize in one (are they called keymodes? :P) You know that 4k, 5k etc... stuff. Or should I learn them all? I ask because I've been quite overwhelmed by the difference in difficulty of 4k and 7k maps, even though both are 1-1.5 stars.
2. In case I have to learn them all, what's the best way to do that? Playing 4k first and rising from there or should I play all equally?
3. Is there a possibility to change the keyboard bindings for Osu! Mania? I don't feel comfortable using the space key and often get confused by it

That would be all (I think XD). I thank you in advance for any answer you might be able to give me. Osu! Mania is fun, but it seems way more difficult to start than with Osu! standart/Taiko (mostly due to this 4k, 5k, 6k and 7k stuff T^T)
Aqo
Play 7K and you will be able to play all(at least in osu) key modes. You can't learn 7K from playing 4K, you'll pretty much have to start from zero. But you can learn 4K quickly from playing 7K, most patterns will already be automatic for you and it will feel comfortable to catch up in a very short time.

Type "input" into options on osu's main menu.
Supairo
I started osu!mania with only 4K... Bad idea, trust me. 7K seems impossible for me, but it's mainly because of that middle button associated with the spacebar. Maybe I should change the input for that... Do know that there's even 9K out there (this is not a joke).

Do know that there's two types of osu!mania: The converts (made by starting a normal beatmap with mania mode) and the non-converts (made specifically for mania). The difference between the two can be HUGE. I would suggest trying some converts before trying mania-specific maps. Or doing mania-specific maps first. Whatever suits you the most.

You can change your mania inputs by typing '"layout" in the options menu and choosing "osu!mania layout".
Bobbias
I would suggest staying away from playing maps made for standard (commonly referred to as autoconverts) at all. Autoconverts do not contain many of the patterns you will find in mania specific maps, and most players who start out playing converts find mania specific maps much harder because they never learned to play those kinds of patterns.

I also agree with Aqo and Koopa that you should start learning 7k. I successfully made the switch from playing 4k to 7k when I played other games (osu!mania did not exist back then) and it really was learning a completely new game. Absolutely NONE of my skill in 4k transferred to playing 7k. I didn't start playing 4k in osu!mania until maybe a year after it came out, so I was playing 7k only for maybe 6-7 years by then. After a few weeks of practice I was close to my old skill level from years ago.

That's how big a difference there is between starting on 4k and starting on 7k.

Also, even if you change the layout, I suggest keeping spacebar as your middle key if you do start with 7k. If you use a layout like sdf jkl; where you use your index finger for the middle key, when you reach slightly harder maps you might find it difficult to hit some patterns because you will have to use your pinkie for the 7th key, and pinkies are not as good at the kind of movements you use to hit keys. Spacebar takes much longer to get used to than the other keys, and this can be very discouraging, but I think in the long run it's better to learn to deal with it.
Topic Starter
OniGagaku
I will do as you all say then. No focusing on 4k, more 7k. Got that :D Also thank you for the help, I'll do my best^^

Edit: Another totally noob question. How does the score system work? I saw that 1 million is the maximum, but I've seen people FC'ing with full 300 and not getting 1 M points :P
PyaKura
1M scores are extremely uncommon in that you need to hit only MAXes/300g (rainbow 300s) to hit the score cap.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but, put simply score in o!m is divided in two parts. 50% is some kind of fixed value / base score depending on the map, and 50% is bonus score.

This bonus score comes from a multiplier that starts out at 100% (full bonus score per hit) and drops by hitting anything below 300 (drops to 0 when missing). You can build it up again by hitting 300s (iirc +1% per 300 and +2% per 300g).

More information here.
Aqo
mania score system is basically black fairy magic

knowing the actual properties won't really matter to anyone. what you really need to know is just:

- getting perfect 300gs: good
- getting large combos: good

everything else: bad
Bobbias
It's not actually black magic, it's just that it's dependent on the exact order that you hit each note in a song. Anyone halfway decent at math should be able to understand the score system pretty quickly if they read the wiki article, but almost nobody does, and it seems that even the people who do don't take the time to actually understand it.
Full Tablet
The exact scoring system is just as described in the wiki.

An approximate way to see it (for example, in the middle of the play) is considering the bonus value as a per-hit score multipler. It starts at about x2 (and has values capped between x1 and x2), growing at a sublinear rate (O[n^(1/2)]) each hit (300g and 300 increase it slightly, other judgments reduce it).

Since the growth of the bonus value is linear, having several 200s/100s/50s in a row is worse than getting the same amount spread through the map, until the Bonus value floors to it's minimum value (in that situation, having mistakes clustered is better than having them spread out). Since MISSes set the Bonus value to 0 instantly, it's better to have several MISSes in a row than having them spread out through the map.
Topic Starter
OniGagaku
I notice that I am now better in 7k than before (and that 4k is really easy now compared to 7k), but guys... WHAT IS THIS? T^T Stuck at 1,03 stars without being able to complete it. Love it. The difficulty makes me want to get better :D Only thing is that I can't play more than 1-2 hours before making a 1 hour pause 'cause of the frustration XD
PyaKura
Starting out is pretty much the hardest / the most frustrating part. It gets better over time, just keep at it.
Aqo

PyaKura wrote:

Starting out is pretty much the hardest / the most frustrating part.
whaaaaat? starting was the most fun part, you constantly learn new things and get exposed to new content, and you also improve fast and get to feel improvement all the time.

now it's like "oh I've seen this pattern 999 times before but I still can't play it because my fingers aren't fast enough fml rite"
"still can't beat this score from 6 months ago"
"okay lets grind accuracy stuff for 100 hours to maybe improve my accuracy by 0.1% because it got kinda bad lately"
zzz
PyaKura
idk I just felt really frustrated at the beginning, the only reason why I kept at it is because I hated seeing myself giving up.
Aqo
tfw wanting to learn to do this is what kept me going and in the end I didn't even really get into O2Jam that much

tfw it doesn't even look impressive anymore, he's not even comboing the hard parts. o2spam
juankristal
Please dont change the topic of the discusion. I believe everyone here already told you about how to start in osu!mania, even so you have some guides in this sub-forum that you might want to check. I will leave you a link to a compilation here t/388537.

Have fun playing and, if you have any questions, feel free to leave them here in this thread. If not, please let me know and I will lock this topic!

(I am currently thinking about creating an "osu!mania related questions" thread but its just an idea for now).
Topic Starter
OniGagaku
I don't think I have any questions left :D
juankristal

VirtualCancer wrote:

I don't think I have any questions left :D
Alright! You can contact me in game if you have any more questions in the future then. Have fun playing!