forum

RIP strager

posted
Total Posts
show more
NotShinta

Galkan92 wrote:

Pokebis wrote:

From my understanding he created an image with a script in it that made every person who viewed it in their browser vote for the Ztrout map in the best-of-2010 poll.
If it's true, I wish him eternal burning in virtual hell.
Can't you like

Unvote for it if you really cared
Shinde

NotShinta wrote:

Can't you like

Unvote for it if you really cared
How dare you.
iMuffin
Wow see this is why i don't hang out with real people.

I do that and i miss out on important stuff

strager you will be missed greatly.
mm201

np: Paramore - Feeling Sorry
awp

Pokebis wrote:

Nevar forget.
seems like "never remember" as well

and never learn
Esupanitix
God dammit strager!

Didn't you learn enough from August second?
;~; Please tell me he's going to be back
sp1ky
[quote="view-source:http://osu.ppy.sh/p/bestof2010":3c4ff] 8-) Echo 8-)
Ph0X
Isn't a script kiddie someone who just runs premade scripts? AFAIK strager found and abused the exploit all by himself, not that it was hard or anything. They should really learn to have better security.
sp1ky

Ph0X wrote:

Isn't a script kiddie someone who just runs premade scripts? AFAIK strager found and abused the exploit all by himself, not that it was hard or anything.
I don't know what happened, I was just pointing out that particular piece of code. Though script kiddie also refers to exploiters using existing and well known techniques according to wikipedo. Abusing holes/exploits like that is just asking for trouble and skewing an open vote (if indeed that is what happened) is unfair (and unfestive :P ).

Ph0X wrote:

They should really learn to have better security.
Nobody forced Cyclone and Echo to put their time and effort into this... Shows that assuming any level of trust with your users is a bad idea
Wojjan
Maybe you know he shouldn't hack into things

Especially after warnings
bmin11
and there goes the Story Boarding Contest ;_;
Why Strager, why
Verdisphena

bmin11 wrote:

Why Strager, why
Ephemeral

Ph0X wrote:

Isn't a script kiddie someone who just runs premade scripts? AFAIK strager found and abused the exploit all by himself, not that it was hard or anything. They should really learn to have better security.
unfortunately that excuse is not justifiable in the slightest since at the end of the day, osu! is maintained primarily by volunteer work and undermining that for shits and giggles just isn't cool.
Jarby
Take your politics somewhere else, this is my dear strager's funeral thread.
Shinde
I still wonder why he was deleted when he pointed out a coding error to me and asked me if it caused me to vote for ztrout. I reported it minutes later in hopes that someone would fix it. Then he gets banned moments after that.

I can't help but feel that this was handled very inelegantly, and I agree with Ph0x's statement about the poor code security. It took me, who knows little about coding, a whopping 15 seconds to see how it was executed. And it's not like anyone affected can't just unvote for said map. But whatever, I have bigger disagreements with some aspects of management than this.
mm201
I wasn't here. (Again.) But people were saying he had the offending "image" in his signature, causing anyone who looked at any one of his posts to cast a vote. This is clearly above and beyond what's appropriate in pointing out a bug.

Additionally, this is the VERY SAME THING that got him "perma"-banned last time, so he should have expected a zero-tolerance policy. When we unban someone, we expect them to not repeat the very same behaviour.
Shinde
Fairly sure it was in a post that Lybydose edited within a minute or two of me pointing it out. If Lyby can edit users' signatures, then I unsure. That's probably besides your point though. But alas, tis time to sleep then go do Christmas Eve-y things.
Mara
R.I.P strager.
Lizzehb
He was suppose to teach me how to map...Q_Q
Shohei Ohtani

lizzehb wrote:

I'll teach you how to map <3~.
iMuffin

CDFA wrote:

lizzehb wrote:

I'll teach you how to map <3~.
RUN FROM THE CDFA MONSTER
mekadon_old

MetalMario201 wrote:

When we unban someone, we expect them to not repeat the very same behaviour.
Human tolerance and emphases plays role upon bannage, not fucking bullshit policies. You said about the so-called zero-tolerance policies, but why strager isn't unbanned? Unfortunately not all will stop repeating their behaviour.

Back to topic, I agree with Ph0X's statement with poor security. If game is hackable (not that can be avoided anyway), then even forum and account controls can be haxed as well. Just look at strager. Just code here and there bla bla bla and get your ztrout automatic voting image forgetchamalit thinginamagicky.

inb4 lol Echo
sp1ky
Lybydose

Shinde wrote:

Fairly sure it was in a post that Lybydose edited within a minute or two of me pointing it out. If Lyby can edit users' signatures, then I unsure. That's probably besides your point though. But alas, tis time to sleep then go do Christmas Eve-y things.
Can't edit signatures, but I can remove them from a post entirely.

Pretty sure it was only in the post though.
Lunah_old
Natteke

mekadon wrote:

MetalMario201 wrote:

When we unban someone, we expect them to not repeat the very same behaviour.
Human tolerance and emphases plays role upon bannage, not fucking bullshit policies. You said about the so-called zero-tolerance policies, but why strager isn't unbanned? Unfortunately not all will stop repeating their behaviour.

Back to topic, I agree with Ph0X's statement with poor security. If game is hackable (not that can be avoided anyway), then even forum and account controls can be haxed as well. Just look at strager. Just code here and there bla bla bla and get your ztrout automatic voting image forgetchamalit thinginamagicky.

inb4 lol Echo
Said a man who almost got banned for cheating.
Lunah_old
ok
mekadon_old

Natteke wrote:

Said a man who almost got banned for cheating.
Cheaters prove securities are weak. Nothing changed. Yes, I cheat; nothing will change the fact. Thank you for saying I'm a man, alot.
Carry on.
Natteke
Finding out a hole in security is one thing, using it for your own profit is another one.
TKiller

mekadon wrote:

Cheaters prove securities are weak. Nothing changed. Yes, I cheat; nothing will change the fact. Thank you for saying I'm a man, alot.
Carry on.
Verdisphena

Lunah wrote:

ok
Galkan

mekadon wrote:

Cheaters prove they are douchebags IRL and can't play fair.
Fixed.

Don't defend strager now, recidivists do not deserve for any forgiving and it's fine he's gone forever. Cheaters & hackers & other lame stuff deserve to die, deal with it. Remember you were given second chance, don't waste it.

I think there should be general reminder in Official News section that any attempt to hack will be detected sooner or later and will cause immediately account deletion. There really should be zero-tolerance policy.
Topic Starter
Pokebis
Who are you again?
Galkan

Pokebis wrote:

Who are you again?
Random.
Mismagius

Pokebis wrote:

Who are you again?
Wojjan
alots
If stranger were here he'd ask for a spoilerbox ;'(
dNextGen

Galkan92 wrote:

mekadon wrote:

Cheaters prove they are douchebags IRL and can't play fair.
Fixed.

??????
NotShinta

Galkan92 wrote:

deserve to die
Okay.
Derekku
Finding a security hole/exploit/etc. and making peppy/the devs aware: Good.

Exploiting said issue for lulz: Punishable, but possibly forgivable.

Exploiting after given a second chance: Unforgivable.

I'm disappointed that it ended this way... strager you wootpooting supportergot :(
Sleep Powder

Pokebis wrote:

Who are you again?
Middle-fag.
show more