forum

Is mechanical keyboard really that gud?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
KupcaH
Title says it all.
I've read alot of posts of mechanical keyboards, and most of people saying that it's way more good to play with it.
I've been playing month for now, and using 3$ membrane keyboard, I didn't have any problems, yet.

It will be impossible to stream high BPM maps with cheap keyboard or not? Because it's pretty expensive for school-kiddo like me. :v

:v ducks are cool :v
Yuudachi-kun
Get a mech because it feels way better to do everything on.
gregest
I still use rubberdome
DeathHydra
It is good but not necessary. Surely it will be hard to stream high bpm, but even some pro players having troubles with high bpm streams, so it's fine.
Mahogany
It won't make you a god if you're shit but it's pleasant to play on
Topic Starter
KupcaH
I've got a question, about those "Gaming membrane keyboards" what is special in them? Why they cost too much?
And yeah, was reading somewhere here, that it's hard to stream with blue switches or somethin' like that, it's not true, right? It will be big diffrence between red and blue?
FuZ

KupcaH wrote:

I've got a question, about those "Gaming membrane keyboards" what is special in them? Why they cost too much?
because they have these dank "gaming" leds that will make your keyboard look like a christmas tree and that aerodynamic "gaming" look to impress your friends
Mahogany

KupcaH wrote:

what is special in them?
They're marketed as a product for "Gaming"
That means you avoid it at all costs

KupcaH wrote:

Why they cost too much?
To trick you into thinking they're good.
Saphirshroom
Don't forget the Gaming Macro Keys!

What a great invention for keyboards. It's not like I could... Idk use software for that!!è!=??
I Give Up
I prefer the softness and squishieness of rubberdome but it was too unreliable so had to learn mech. Also you need one if you play 7k mania and it is proven that mechs increase wpm.
Deva

KupcaH wrote:

It will be impossible to stream high BPM maps with cheap keyboard or not?
I can do 300bpm bursts with my shit keyboard so...
FrzR
cookiezi plays with it so ya

Wilchq did play with rubberdomes before and got high ranks so it depends on how you play.
markp_old_1
I bought ducky DK2018 keyboard with red switches a few days ago and it instantly improved my play
Shajirr

Khelly wrote:

I disagree with this statement, with mechanical while typing text still sometimes either hit keys which I am not supposed to or press in a way that the keyboard doesn't register which results in missing letters, even after like a year of using it, which doesn't happen at all with regular membrane keyboard.

Also, mechanical is loud as fuck (even though I specifically picked the one which was marketed as being low noise), while membrane can be practically silent.

So if any use outside of gaming is needed I'd go with membrane KB over mechanical any day, even just to reduce the noise of keypresses.
Mahogany

Shajirr wrote:

sometimes either hit keys which I am not supposed to or press in a way that the keyboard doesn't register which results in missing letters
Well that means you're bad. I only got better at typing with a mech

Shajirr wrote:

Also, mechanical is loud as fuck
Get O-Rings! \:D/

Shajirr wrote:

So if any use outside of gaming is needed I'd go with membrane KB over mechanical any day, even just to reduce the noise of keypresses.
Actually gaming is hardly even the reason to get a mech kb in the first place. If you spend a lot of time typing, for instance, you'll want a mech.
Yuudachi-kun

Shajirr wrote:

Khelly wrote:

I disagree with this statement, with mechanical while typing text still sometimes either hit keys which I am not supposed to or press in a way that the keyboard doesn't register which results in missing letters, even after like a year of using it, which doesn't happen at all with regular membrane keyboard.

Also, mechanical is loud as fuck (even though I specifically picked the one which was marketed as being low noise), while membrane can be practically silent.

If that first thing is happening, it's either your shitty typing or your keyboard is messed up to begin with.

Also, mechanicals sound amazing and the loudness is a plus while the shitty membranes make no sound and feel unsatisfying to type on.
Saphirshroom
For typing:
Mechanical > Rubberdome = Chiclet >> Membrane
The Gambler
"A well-balanced hammer will not turn an amateur carpenter into an experienced one, but will help the experienced one perform their task more easily."

Essentially you don't reap the benefits until you are a much better player. Git gud son.
deletemyaccount
The Logitech G910 is a quiet gayming mechanical keyboard that does light up like a Christmas tree :^)

wheres ur god now
Saphirshroom

Philantropist wrote:

The Logitech G910 is a quiet gayming mechanical keyboard that does light up like a Christmas tree :^)

wheres ur god now
Except... You know...

(Yes, I know you can get it cheaper. Even when you get it cheaper it's still expensive.)
deletemyaccount

Saphirshroom wrote:

Except... You know...

(Yes, I know you can get it cheaper. Even when you get it cheaper it's still expensive.)
got mine for $119AUD (thats like $89 US dollars)
Saphirshroom
Wait, we're talking about the G910 Orion Spark, right? (no clue whether there's even a different version)
I can't even get near 100$ with that. I'm moving to Australia.
ithgyu
Please if you buy a mechanical keyboard prioritize build quality not LEDs :'( too many people make this mistake
The Gambler
Get a Horie fight stick.
deletemyaccount

Saphirshroom wrote:

Wait, we're talking about the G910 Orion Spark, right? (no clue whether there's even a different version)
yep

I think the price was quite low because no one wanted to buy it (muh keycaps), but it feels no different once you get used to it. Reviewers just bashed the angled keycaps because they didn't use the keyboard for an extended period of time lol.
Dre-
I use a Cheap COMPLETLY RUBBER keyboard and i stream 220 - 240 fine except my stamina is pretty much shot and it feels like $#@!
deletemyaccount

Write wrote:

I use a Cheap COMPLETLY RUBBER keyboard and i stream 220 - 240 fine except my stamina is pretty much shot and it feels like $#@!
as long as the keys aren't 'sticky', then I actually find nothing wrong with the feeling of actuating membranes.
Endie-

Saphirshroom wrote:

The keys on that thing are horrendous.
Sayorie
If you can afford a mechanical keyboard, then just buy one. There is definitely no reason not to buy if you use keyboards a lot. It is this simple.

more insight
There are reasons why mechanical keyboards have a large reputation as being probably the best kind of keyboard in the market. They have superior lifespan, better reliablity, and easier to work with (lighter actuation) compared to cheap membrane keyboards. Aside from personal preference, of course, mechanical keyboards have different variations and most of them just do the same job, but even better than other keyboards.
The Gambler
G910 feels somewhat mushy IMO, but feels a lot quieter and lighter to type with, along with a voraciously better tactile bump than Browns. Almost like Blues maybe.