Total Posts
show more
Kakarotto_old
Gold, Silver and Crystal for the sex.
And Pokemon Stadium 2.
Regards.
Shellghost
G/S were the best of all Pokemon games.

Look deep within your heart, you cannot deny this.
Mismagius

Shellghost wrote:

G/S were the best of all Pokemon games.

Look deep within your heart, you cannot deny this.
Exactly.
anonymous_old

Blue Dragon wrote:

(though I like G/S/C more than R/B/Y but seriously the newer ones are ;_; for the oldpokemonfags)
^

More content != good content, Mogsy.

Better engine != more fun gameplay, Mogsy.

More Pokémon != better variety, Mogsy.
Mogsy

strager wrote:

Blue Dragon wrote:

(though I like G/S/C more than R/B/Y but seriously the newer ones are ;_; for the oldpokemonfags)
^

More content != good content, Mogsy.

The content does appeal a lot more to me in later generations when doing a retrospective.

The better engine has improved the gameplay itself; while battles were slow in D/P, they got back to a more comfortable pace in Platinum onward. The physical/special split adds more strategic variety. Hell, even fixes from Gen I to Gen II were good, such as fixing moves like Amnesia and Razor Leaf.

That's a joke, right? There is better balance now compared to before, not all of the new Pokemon are dumb (in fact, there are much dumber/lazier Pokemon in Gen I compared to most other generations), and the point still stands that there are definitely Pokemon you will like in each generation.

I'm sorry if I find R/B/Y and G/S/C to be completely boring when looking back, with the changes made in FR/LG and HG/SS being what salvaged them. I'm sorry if I'm not running my mind on nostalgia. <3

By the way, Gen III was fun. Haters gonna hate.
Topic Starter
Zekira
This is the only thing I don't agree with though. The only thing that had more 'variety' in the 1st and 2nd gen over the later gens was that almost everything in 1st gen could have Amnesia. In terms of variety, the generations have spewed out so much variety that the competitive aspect of it just became more fun (barring the stupid Shadow Tag Shandera, which can KO 57.3% of the current OU metagame)

In terms of quality and content, the transcend from RBY to GSC was one of the best, but the fact that they are old games kinda gives a notion that they couldn't really be compared to the newer ones. Seriously, I don't get why people compare the old generations with the new generations, where the story is just almost the same (and I must say that the storyline since RSE has been more fantastic than the first two, with DPPt's being my favorite so far) and that newer Pokémon are just added every generation. Derpy~

...it's not like I use many 5th gen Pokémon anyway XD Kojondo~

Not when you realize how glitchy RBY's engine is... heheheh...

There is better balance now compared to before
BALANCE? IN MY POKéMON?

FFFFFFFF
anonymous_old

Mogsworth wrote:

The content does appeal a lot more to me in later generations when doing a retrospective.
Okay.

Mogsworth wrote:

The better engine has improved the gameplay itself; while battles were slow in D/P, they got back to a more comfortable pace in Platinum onward.
GSC battles were probably the slowest of all generations. People have different likes about the pace of battle; some people like to strategize and idiots like you want to plow through the game to get to the Pokémon contests.

Mogsworth wrote:

That's a joke, right? There is better balance now compared to before, not all of the new Pokemon are dumb (in fact, there are much dumber/lazier Pokemon in Gen I compared to most other generations), and the point still stands that there are definitely Pokemon you will like in each generation.
And more imbalance, too. Have you ever played Pokémon competitively?

RBY was very imbalanced. They fixed most of that in GSC, and RSE was nearly perfect. Things went downhill from there, mostly due to added complexity. Although some extreme strategists like juggling 30 builds for one Pokémon and searching for the 317 counters to at least half a Blissey, gameplay certainly has not improved because of that.

Mogsworth wrote:

I'm sorry if I find R/B/Y and G/S/C to be completely boring when looking back, with the changes made in FR/LG and HG/SS being what salvaged them. I'm sorry if I'm not running my mind on nostalgia. <3
"I'm sorry I'm gay." You wouldn't say that, would you? You saying you're sorry you (basically) don't like RBY and GSC is like saying you're sorry you're gay.

Mogsworth wrote:

By the way, Gen III was fun. Haters gonna hate.
Because of Pokémon contests?
Mogsy

Zekira wrote:

BALANCE? IN MY POKéMON?

FFFFFFFF
'tis something that exists moreso than in past generations. I guess it's because they actually figured out how to properly nerf some things? Balance, yes, was at its best in Gen III, but I do like how some things just got nerfed or powered up due to the split. I have played Pokemon competitively, but I still believe that there is a semblance of balance.

Also, Contests are fun, shut up. <3
anonymous_old

Zekira wrote:

This is the only thing I don't agree with though. The only thing that had more 'variety' in the 1st and 2nd gen over the later gens was that almost everything in 1st gen could have Amnesia. In terms of variety, the generations have spewed out so much variety that the competitive aspect of it just became more fun (barring the stupid Shadow Tag Shandera, which can KO 57.3% of the current OU metagame)

In terms of quality and content, the transcend from RBY to GSC was one of the best, but the fact that they are old games kinda gives a notion that they couldn't really be compared to the newer ones. Seriously, I don't get why people compare the old generations with the new generations, where the story is just almost the same (and I must say that the storyline since RSE has been more fantastic than the first two, with DPPt's being my favorite so far) and that newer Pokémon are just added every generation. Derpy~

...it's not like I use many 5th gen Pokémon anyway XD Kojondo~
Talking about the quality of the variety, not the presence of variety. I think you agree half-way with me there.

Zekira wrote:

Not when you realize how glitchy RBY's engine is... heheheh...
More fun. ;P

Zekira wrote:

BALANCE? IN MY POKéMON?

FFFFFFFF
inorite.
Topic Starter
Zekira
Lol, sadly I've learned and accepted the big truth about competitive games later on: imbalance is what makes everything so fun.

Talking about the quality of the variety
You could've cleared that up better you know, lol, usually variety comes in the notion of the amount, so I replied with that in mind

More fun. ;P
Yeah, with Persian actually being used in OU
Beuchi
A civilized discussion on Off-Topic?

OH GOD, THE END IS NEAR D:
TKiller

Beuchi-chan wrote:

R.I.P. strager
Verdisphena
Topic Starter
Zekira

TKiller wrote:

Beuchi-chan wrote:

R.I.P. strager
Wojjan
I pick pokemons because they are cute.
Topic Starter
Zekira
That is actually one of my first criterias for picking Pokémon species. This is why you never see me use some stuff like Gengar, even though it's insanely useful.
Wojjan
yes but when a furry does it its sexist
Mismagius

Zekira wrote:

That is actually one of my first criterias for picking Pokémon species. This is why you never see me use some stuff like Gengar, even though it's insanely useful.
Get out ;_; Gengar is so cute, I always use him D:
Topic Starter
Zekira
Not in my eyes though, lol

And because a lot of the legendaries are insanely cute I think I'll forever be called a rockie
Mogsy
forever rockie
K2J
It took me several hours to realize he mistyped "rookie".

I'd also like to add that Generation III was incredible, especially the music. I love me some GBA-style brass instruments. I still think that each generation has some potential that could be better implemented, but they're doing OK. Certainly more forward on online connectivity than the rest of Nintendo.
Ekaru
I agree with Klerion here, actually. Using legendaries like Frigi and Guhnash make you an unimaginative noob who can't make a non-shitty te-

Wait, wrong Nintendo monster-battling game. Oops.

As far as 3rd gen goes, I don't like Ruby and Saphire, but I love Emerald for some reason. And the console games that gen were kinda cool, though I prefer PBR because it's much easier to just get into the battles in that game.

Also, I laughed at the Arcanine. Such a perfect touch.
Verdisphena
ok