1. osu! forums
  2. osu!
  3. Feature Requests
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +3,924
show more
posted

[ Rin Satsuki ] wrote:

Zinkon wrote:

I tested on a random piano program the delays of WASAPI, ASIO and Direct Sound. Had microphone near mouse and speakers, clicked a few times, found the average delay between the two. WASAPI - ~55 ms. ASIO @ 128 buffer size ~20 ms. ASIO @ 512 buffer size ~35ms. Direct Sound ~ 70 ms. So ASIO definitely 100% fixes the problem. I tested directly in osu! as well and got ~57 ms. I tested the delay on 7 friend's PC's as well and it was never below 50 ms. It was usually 50-100 ms.

Since I cannot believe you achieve <10ms I request proof. A recording of you mouse clicking and the resulting hit sounds coming out of the speakers. Preferably the hit sound would be a clicky one.

I would kill for audio delay reduction. The fun it provides is immeasurable.

Edit: I read the entire thread, I'll try to upgrade to Windows 10 and see if I get a difference

Edit2: With Windows 10 I'm getting ~51 ms mouse click to ingame hit sound delay. Which is about 6 ms better than Windows 8.1. Well that's nice. I still want to try out WASAPI though. And of course ASIO would be the ultimate heaven
If you can upload a proof that ASIO is working better with this random piano program, this could be a nice argument for this feature request. (Or i test it myself and upload the result)
Here is the guide Zinkon used. You can use it and verify the results yourself and get pseudo ASIO hitsounds for Osu.
posted
Recalculated the piano results with Windows 10:

Direct Sound ~60 ms Proof: Image Sound file
WASAPI ~50 ms Proof: Image Sound file
WASAPI in exclusive mode ~17 ms Proof: Image Sound file
osu! ingame ~51 ms Proof: Image Sound file

Basically my dream right now is a WASAPI audio option with an "Exclusive mode" checkbox. Didn't even test ASIO because WASAPI is plenty good enough and peppy already said it was easy enough to implement. So now I'm shaking with excitement :D
posted

Zinkon wrote:

WASAPI in exclusive mode ~17 ms Proof: Image Sound file
]
Hnnnng. Yes please!
posted
Yes please. I've never been able to properly use hitsounds because of my UO offset, so if this can somehow help, it'd be truly amazing..
posted
I like your test, Zinkon. I performed roughly the same test to bring up more evidence that WASAPI exclusive mode or ASIO makes a very significant difference for at least some people. I've had to disable hitsounds due to high latency in osu!, but keysounds in LR2 with ASIO playback have never bothered me a bit.

My setup:
  1. Windows 10
  2. i7 5820k 6-core @ 3.3GHz
  3. Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB audio interface
  4. Shure SM57 microphone
  5. Sennheiser HD558 headphones
  6. Filco Majestouch 2 keyboard, using the PS/2 connector
  7. Reaper DAW

Microphone touches the insides of my headphones and is at ~8cm away from the key i'm hitting to play a synth sound. Synth sound is configured with 0ms attack (even makes a popping sound when played).

On the bottom right of every screenshot you can see the duration of the selected area in seconds.

Keyboard + ASIO: ~15ms

Keyboard + WASAPI: ~15ms

Keyboard + Directsound: ~113ms

Keyboard + osu!mania hitsounds (directsound?): ~62ms

I've had my UO at -52ms with hitsounds disabled for a while now before running this test, so my test results seem to somewhat agree with my UO. I couldn't get Reaper to use directsound with low buffer sizes. I ended up with 2 buffers of 892 samples. 2 buffers with 880 samples refused to make any kind of sound, not even popping and crackling. So there might be something I can do to lower that 113ms, but I'm not sure how.

TL;DR: ASIO and WASAPI give me 15ms delay between key press and audio playback. Htsound delay in osu! is 60ms for me. WASAPI / ASIO needs to happen.
posted
take my votes
posted
I wish I had votes. Syncing up asio hitsounds with osu music required me to go from -11 offset to -162 offset.
posted
If you have an ASIO only soundcard (like mine, INFRASONIC QUARTET, a recording card which isn't intended for gaming) you'll have definitely latency issues since it has to emulate directsound for applications that won't run on ASIO.

I have to switch back to onboard soundcard whenever I play osu!.

These are my latency outputs:
ASIO CARD emulating DIRECTSOUND at 512 samples: 125ms (I've been playing like this lately and it's terrible)
ASIO CARD emulating DIRECTSOUND at 256 samples (default for most cards): 102ms
ASIO CARD emulating DIRECTSOUND at 48 samples: 85ms

ONBOARD DIRECTSOUND: 65ms
ONBOARD ASIO4ALL: Haven't tested it yet.

ASIO 512 samples: 60ms
ASIO 256 samples: 38ms
ASIO 48 samples: 25ms

Note that I did these tests with a really cheap Genius standard keyboard instead a decent mechanical one, which may also add extra 15 ms to my results.

But I post this for people with this issue desperately looking for a way to run osu! on ASIO: Best advice for now is to switch back to onboard when playing this game.
posted

ARGENTINE DREAM wrote:

If you have an ASIO only soundcard (like mine, INFRASONIC QUARTET, a recording card which isn't intended for gaming) you'll have definitely latency issues since it has to emulate directsound for applications that won't run on ASIO.

There's no reason why any ASIO-capable device cannot provide the drivers required by DirectSound. On a slightly different note: DirectSound has been using WASAPI internally since Vista came out (it has also been deprecated since Vista).

ARGENTINE DREAM wrote:

But I post this for people with this issue desperately looking for a way to run osu! on ASIO: Best advice for now is to switch back to onboard when playing this game.
I do remember setting my Universal Offset with ppy's latency test map and my onboard audio (rather than my USB audio interface). I got it at ~-70ms, similar to what it was with my USB interface. YMMV, of course.
posted

Kempie wrote:

There's no reason why any ASIO-capable device cannot provide the drivers required by DirectSound
It's just some devices weren't thought for running DirectSound, as I stated earlier, those may emulate DirectSound better than onboard cards and using way lower CPU processing, but at the cost of adding some milliseconds to the actual output.

Kempie wrote:

I got it at ~-70ms
That's probably the latency most players get when running osu! unless they have some CPU or GPU issues.
posted
Bump

Still as big an issue as it was 3 years ago.