forum

Advice -- going from beginner to 6 star player in 550 plays

posted
Total Posts
show more
DeathHydra
Pretty sure OP is dead serious with his so-called advice.
The Actor
Atleast he's trying.
-Makishima S-
It was long time, long thinking if i should go sarcastic here, laugh or be deadly serious. To be honest, i will be deadly serious with that i say.

@sadpwner - You are bad, sad person who gives shit advice's completely not related to gameplay, this topic is academical example of "how to prove that i am retarded". Let's go and show you why i am more than sure you should shut the fuck up and don't even try to give any advices:

You are worst possible person to give ANY fuckin advice, like you totaly don't know how this game works, you totaly don't know how to play it, your statistics are shitty as motherfuck, many newbs who play 1 week are probably way better than you, yet - for all gods you dare to create topic of "advice".

Disclaimer - If you use "No Fail" mode as new player, you already failed a map, you are completely not able to play it if you need NF for pass, you are not even close to read it.

OP just gave me cancer, literally, brain cancer from amount of stupidity and bullshit in first post. Just pls OP... request removing this thread already because you are amusing with this bs.

This topic makes me kill myself...
Mahogany

Rixiy wrote:

That said, I've also read through all the comments here, and I feel like someone should acknowledge the fact that you did take the time to try to be helpful...
Posting advice that's more harmful than helpful is honestly worse than just saying nothing tbh.
Bence

[Taiga] wrote:

@sadpwner - You are bad, sad person who gives shit advice's completely not related to gameplay, this topic is academical example of "how to prove that i am retarded". Let's go and show you why i am more than sure you should shut the fuck up and don't even try to give any advices:

You are worst possible person to give ANY fuckin advice, like you totaly don't know how this game works, you totaly don't know how to play it, your statistics are shitty as motherfuck, many newbs who play 1 week are probably way better than you, yet - for all gods you dare to create topic of "advice".
You are taking it too far, OP got enough negative feedback, no need to call him names and such.

Also, next time when you are trying to prove someone wrong at least don't reason with "you are shit therefore your advice is shit" but tell them why they are wrong.
deletemyaccount

Bence wrote:

you are trying to prove someone wrong at least don't reason with "you are shit therefore your advice is shit" but tell them why they are wrong.
lets be real here anyone with common sense would be able to do basic research.

and by research I mean play more ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
-Makishima S-
You are taking it too far, OP got enough negative feedback, no need to call him names and such.

Also, next time when you are trying to prove someone wrong at least don't reason with "you are shit therefore your advice is shit" but tell them why they are wrong.
Let's be honest, this guy already got negative feedback about his gameplay before, people told him to stop playing maps too hard for him, stop using NF.
Now this shitter made a cancerous topic with full of bullshit points.

There is no point to even discuss about this because it's waste of time. Like 15 min researching in forum and you can debunk every single point in his "so called advice for being garbage trash at this game".

Basic research:
- dont play maps too hard for you
- proritize fc over passes
- dont use NF
- play more
Dumii

[Taiga] wrote:

Basic research:
- dont play maps too hard for you
- proritize fc over passes
- dont use NF
- play more
I think passes > fcs and NF is quite good for practice though...
just not NF to the extent where OP is using it
ithgyu
I dont see why people think nf is bad
winber1

II Jelli II wrote:

its not. imo much of time it's quite helpful for learning things. just don't use it for everything. boils to common sense for the most part, which is vague as fuck but whatever.

of course i would say some of the hate/criticism is slightly exaggerated, but they do have merit. though i don't see a need to shit on people's faces like this tbh

winber1 wrote:

as long as we have circles to click, no anger shall harm us
ithgyu
considering how fucked drain can be in this game, nf is pretty good
The Actor

[Taiga] wrote:

It was long time, long thinking if i should go sarcastic here, laugh or be deadly serious. To be honest, i will be deadly serious with that i say.

Disclaimer - If you use "No Fail" mode as new player, you already failed a map, you are completely not able to play it if you need NF for pass, you are not even close to read it.

OP just gave me cancer, literally, brain cancer from amount of stupidity and bullshit in first post. Just pls OP... request removing this thread already because you are amusing with this bs.

This topic makes me kill myself...
Mate. Why are you being so toxic? I mean, it's a horrible guide(yes) but still, he tried his hardest.
The Actor
Also I have a question OP.

https://youtu.be/8f7XKBFlZI0 << If this was you, you'd already be in a higher rank than 130k.

Is that really you, because judging from your top ranks it isn't. Also 5 digits 20~95k is very unstable.
I've seen 70k's play better than 4 digit players(rare).

And like above posts said, this post isn't very helpful at all. I mean, I know you tried your hardest but if anybody were to use this guide they wouldn't be able to read decently(aka AR8 with 60 acc). I'm not the best player, I'm just average but I honestly think you need to improve more.

I'm not discouraging you, but I would recc you become atleast 30k before you make a guide or else everyone in the forums will legit intoxicate you because you aren't good at clicking circles at a fast rate.

tl;dr Improve more, and have another take at it some day.
DeathHydra
It might be him, but looking at the video, he played offline on that song, which is why it's not included in his top ranks
ithgyu

DeathAdderz wrote:

It might be him, but looking at the video, he played offline on that song, which is why it's not included in his top ranks
that map is harder than 90% of the stuff in his top ranks, and it has decent acc, obvs not him
The Actor
I think so as well. The play style is completely different from his last video which was uploaded like 2~3 days ago.

That score was Tatoe with 82acc. I mean, if you have enough skills to do that with 98acc, you should atleast get 90+ acc on Tatoe(considering it's a very PP map for most decently ranked people). If your trying to pass that as your skills as 'proof' that you are good, I am seriously disappointed in you. Especially when it's not your play with obvious signs(advanced techs like snapping consistently near-perf and decent taps).

It's probably a better idea to just get out of the forums mate. You might as well scavage the remaining face you have left.
DeathHydra

II Jelli II wrote:

DeathAdderz wrote:

that map is harder than 90% of the stuff in his top ranks, and it has decent acc, obvs not him
After seeing it closely,
1)No NF Wait it actually has NF. My bad xD
2)Good acc

Ok, it's not him
The Actor
1)No NF Wait it actually has NF. My bad xD
2)Good acc

Ok, it's not him
3)Not Logged in

gg
Drezi

II Jelli II wrote:

It's not NF itself obviously. It's the fact that as a general rule of thumb (there are exceptions) if someone needs NF, it's an indication that the map is too hard for them and playing slightly easier stuff would be more beneficial overall. High drain, high OD, low note density, difficult spaced streams where slightly messing up makes you fail are examples where using NF can be good, so you can actually practice without having to repeat the beginning of the map all the time, but this doesn't really concern beginners, so the general idea applies perfectly well.
ithgyu

Drezi wrote:

II Jelli II wrote:

It's not NF itself obviously. It's the fact that as a general rule of thumb (there are exceptions) if someone needs NF, it's an indication that the map is too hard for them and playing slightly easier stuff would be more beneficial overall. High drain, high OD, low note density, difficult spaced streams where slightly messing up makes you fail are examples where using NF can be good, so you can actually practice without having to repeat the beginning of the map all the time, but this doesn't really concern beginners, so the general idea applies perfectly well.
This isnt true at all. Nf is great because it allows you to play harder maps and survive the difficulty spike. It is much more efficient to play a song where 70-80% is like the difficulty spike in an easier song. A good example for me would be https://osu.ppy.sh/s/386619 or https://osu.ppy.sh/s/291155 which has some parts which are too intense, however the average of the song may be exactly what I want to play, rather than something that is a lot easier, where I may have to wait for difficulty spikes to be challenged

That being said do be a retard and do what this guy does...
Drezi
As I said there are exceptions, I also said that's it's just a general rule of thumb that applies well to beginners who usually can't judge as well whether a map is too difficult for them or not, as an experienced player can, so it's an easy to remember benchmark. (Also there are plenty of maps with rather even difficulty levels throughout, and it's not like playing non-max difficulty parts is wasted time, it's good for consistency and accuracy). So going "this isn't true at all" is quite a stretch, even if your particular example is fine too.
Mahogany
If you're already good with solid fundamentals, good skills, and a solid understanding of the game, playing shithard maps with NF might be able to help you.

What won't help is playing 6* maps with NF as a 6 digit player
Deva
At your level you arent qualified to give any kind of advice, let alone playing 6* maps.
/thread
Risa
Lock lock?
Dumii
Should just lock this already tbh, not like anyone is doing anything constructive in terms of replies anymore
chainpullz

Ezonie wrote:

Lock lock?
drum drum and a cymbal fell off a cliff
Yuudachi-kun

chainpullz wrote:

Ezonie wrote:

Lock lock?
drum drum and a cymbal fell off a cliff

I read that as cynabal
GigaRox
This thread was a hurricane of shitty personalities, and even shittier comments. Like whoa, friends, you don't have to listen to whatever words come your way. (because clearly you don't.) But damn, all you did was take a literal dump on the darn thing. I get it,

"How do i get better at Osu? Play more." Boom done, best guide EVER! wrap it up folks, no more to see here.

But, back the fuck up! There are other players out there that want to talk about the game and how to get better at it? Huh, but I'm the only one of my friends who plays this game, everyone else plays those newfangled MOBA's... Maybe the community will be super friendly and helpful because it's small.

Boy was I wrong. I"m personally miffed because I already did some of these things on my own without ever reading this "guide". If I was struggling with a particular part of a map I'd flip on NF and play it again, because I needed to push beyond my initial panic of "That part I always fail is coming, OH GOD!"

And longer maps have there ups and downs, they're good for building stamina yeah, but if you're playing a longer map and a segment comes that could have been easily emulated by a shorter map then yeah play those shorter maps to get a feel for what it'll be like.

You can pick and choose what you want to listen to and follow. YOU'RE NOT SHEEP!!
And here I thought I was leaving the toxic players in LOL...
Kunino Sagiri

GigaRox wrote:

"How do i get better at Osu? Play more." Boom done, best guide EVER!
It really is a good guide. If you have a better idea than "Play More", go. We'll listen.
Endaris
If you think that we're a shitty community why are you posting here?
Get out and play with the lovely leagueplayers instead.

That being said, the community here is usually nice if you don't decide to be a entirely stubborn about stuff you claim to not be proficient at in the first place.
The opening post and the reactions of everyone was stupid. Guess what it is? (Unintentional) Trolling and people falling for the baits. Can happen in any community that isn't microscopically small.

I'm actually very surprised and also disappointed that this STILL is not locked and sniped by a moderator but Riince nice meme-thread that was at least fun and not even entirely stupid got deleted.
-Makishima S-
This thread was a hurricane of shitty personalities, and even shittier comments
This thread asked for this honestly. I think everything would go other way if whole point of this thread was making a laughing stock shitpost but unfortunely, OP was serious about this what created shitstorm.

Like whoa, friends, you don't have to listen to whatever words come your way. (because clearly you don't.) But damn, all you did was take a literal dump on the darn thing. I get it,
Main thing is that not only "old" players and shitposters read GnR, a lot of time newbies comes here and read topics, most likely when they see something like "Advice: how to get better" they will read this. It's how it works.
This topic is heavily missleading and from both - technical and practical point of view complete reverse of "how to be better" - "so called advices" here are main recipe to be a shitty garbage player who just react on circles and don't play a rhythm game at all.
I think making shitstorm here had his purpose, in place of newbie i wouldn't even take seriously "advice" topic where majority of posters throwed shit at OP and mixed whole topic with trash.

Maybe the community will be super friendly and helpful because it's small.
You could be supprised how helpfull and friendly we are if newbie come and post in right way - being humble, friendly, open and honest with his problem, taking good advices seriously and doing his best at... exacly - playing more.

but if you're playing a longer map and a segment comes that could have been easily emulated by a shorter map then yeah play those shorter maps to get a feel for what it'll be like.
Not true.
There is great amount of long size maps what are practically a constant difficulty spike. There are long maps what are way more difficult than any known TV Size.
Basicaly long maps and especialy marathon maps from 4,5*+ are more difficult than tv size on same star range due requiring way more consistency, stamina, patient and focus.
Main pros of tv size maps is that they are short and farmable for many people, doesn't require extreme aim and stamina consistency and gives less / similar amount of pp.
Difference is - player able to consistently FC long maps will have way easier time with tv size maps while player who focus mainly on tv size maps will have hard time on marathon size maps.
Saphirshroom

GigaRox wrote:

And longer maps have there ups and downs, they're good for building stamina yeah, but if you're playing a longer map and a segment comes that could have been easily emulated by a shorter map then yeah play those shorter maps to get a feel for what it'll be like.
The level of concentration and consistency you need for longer maps is much higher for long maps.

GigaRox wrote:

Imo osu community is much more lovable than LoL's.
Bence

Ezonie wrote:

Lock lock?
I think the time has come
N0thingSpecial

GigaRox wrote:

it least we back up our shitstorm with explanation
Yuudachi-kun
I like the occasional "Bad player giving shit retarded advice" in gnr threads that pop up occasionally because we can point and laugh,.
DeathHydra

Khelly wrote:

I like the occasional "Bad player giving shit retarded advice" in gnr threads that pop up occasionally because we can point and laugh,.
Yea laugh is good
[ Kakuja ]
wat
Dre-
lmfao just lock this thread already the original post was cancerous enough.
Mahogany
Good thread
Endie-

II Jelli II wrote:

Ok boys. Time to stop being dicks. There is no need to shit all over this thread just because it goes against what you believe. I'm not saying that these advices are in any way correct. I just think you should calm the fuck down and take a chill pill cus you've obviously taken it too far.
Lets try to be the community people think we are lol.
show more