forum

I will hate a new scoring system! Your thoughts?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
[ Hazzy ]
I'm still a bit frustrated about them implementing a new scoring system, such as a cap on score etc. I think doing this without consent of the whole community is wrong, and would quit if they wiped scores! It's been years since the the game switched to this system and I don't really see why they would change something that works. The only reason that comes to mind is over waited DT maps and under use of hidden alone as a mod.
Railey2
This community consists of many young and immature people. As a whole, it suffers a lot from Status quo bias. I think it is thoroughly justified to push things through without consent from this community. I'd rather have peppy listen to a few competent individuals than asking for public opinions. I've seen too many bad arguments all over reddit and the forums in the past weeks to take public opinions seriously in this place. See this for example:

[ Hazzy ] wrote:

It's been years since the the game switched to this system and I don't really see why they would change something that works.
- To make it work better
- To be more faithful to the theme of "click the circles to the beat" (penalizing it when you don't click sliders to the beat)
- To make the game more challenging, high accuracy scores more impressive and rewarding
- To fix the underweightedness of slider-heavy maps

Never mind that "it's been years since ..." is not a valid argument in any case and should be ignored right away.

People underestimate how fast they get used to new things. The status quo seems always favorable, but that is really all there is to it. It just seems favorable. Two weeks after it will be implemented, nobody will bat an eye anymore. Hell, the majority will probably prefer it over the old variant, because the update becomes the status quo. People are that irrational.

There are some valid concerns about the changes and the prospect of a score-wipe, but as long as people make bad arguments or don't even take their time to really spell things out and list their concerns, I don't see why peppy should listen. I wouldn't listen either. I don't think that a big part of the community is competent enough to predict what they will or will not like.
B1rd

Railey2 wrote:

This community consists of many young and immature people. As a whole, it suffers a lot from Status quo bias. I think it is thoroughly justified to push things through without consent from this community. I'd rather have peppy listen to a few competent individuals than asking for public opinions. I've seen too many bad arguments all over reddit and the forums in the past weeks to take public opinions seriously in this place. See this for example:

[ Hazzy ] wrote:

It's been years since the the game switched to this system and I don't really see why they would change something that works.
- To make it work better
- To be more faithful to the theme of "click the circles to the beat" (penalizing it when you don't click sliders to the beat)
- To make the game more challenging, high accuracy scores more impressive and rewarding

Never mind that "it's been years since ..." is not a valid argument in any case and should be ignored right away.

People underestimate how fast they get used to new things. The status quo seems always favorable, but that is really all there is to it. It just seems favorable. Two weeks after it will be implemented, nobody will bat an eye anymore. Hell, the majority will probably prefer it over the old variant, because the update becomes the status quo. People are that irrational.

There are some valid concerns about the changes and the prospect of a score-wipe, but as long as people make bad arguments or don't even take their time to really spell things out and list their concerns, I don't see why peppy should listen. I wouldn't listen either. I don't think that a big part of the community is competent enough to predict what they will or will not like.
'People don't know what they want, I know what they want, I know better than everyone else'.
bigfeh

Railey2 wrote:

[ Hazzy ] wrote:

- To make it work better

This is probably the most horribly misinformed post I've read since I came back. You somehow make yourself sound reasonable but you miss the target by so much you might as well have been aiming for the fucking moon

Please do yourself and the community a favor and throw yourself off a bridge stop posting already.
Aurani
How did he miss the point? I'm curious to hear your thoughts, as mine are almost the same as his.

It boils down to OP complaining about how peppy didn't ask the community anything at all when it comes to the topic of the new scoring system, and Railey said that asking the community for ANYTHING (let alone the direction in which the game that is his primary source of income should go in) is comparable to committing suicide. I wholeheartedly agree with that. I wouldn't give the weebs here who take pride in being asocial recluses a worm to guard for an hour, let alone let them shape my job's future.

Also, the whole "if it works don't fix it" ideology from OP is garbage; not only because the current system DOESN'T work properly and is just a massive farmfest instead of being a game, but even if it DID work, that statement would still be shit. Just because my 6-year old PC works, it doesn't mean I shouldn't upgrade it. Going by that logic, our society and planet would've stagnated back when we were still cavemen.
Railey2
I suppose he means that I missed the point by making my examples about the sliders instead of the capped score, which is what OP primarily complains about (without going in depth or giving any reason, by the way).

OP said "I'm still a bit frustrated about them implementing a new scoring system, such as a cap on score etc.", and given that he also complains about the score-wipes, I just assumed that he meant to address the update in its entirety. I may have misinterpreted him there, but I blame that on his statement for being too ambiguous. In any case, that was not my main argument to begin with. My main point was that it is fair to not rely on a crowd that is heavily biased and to a good part unable to make clear and structured arguments.
Aurani
He said "such as a cap on score etc." which doesn't mean jack shit, considering that he added the "etc." at the end. Having added it, he only deconstructs the update to inform people about a feature or more in case they aren't up to date. If he had stated "cap on score in particular!" THAT would've been something worthy of being called the focus of a post.
I understood his post as him crying about the update in its entirety, not specific parts of it. That shit is on him, as if it was indeed his goal to focus on one part of the update, he failed to deliver the message.
Negi
score v2? No, thanks.
BrokenArrow
I just dislike the fact that they are taking away that feeling of accomplishment you get when you finally FC that 200,000,000 score map by introducing a fixed cap for every map on every difficulty with scoreV2. It's just a minor annoyance though and I'm probably biased coming from the pre-PP days where score actually mattered (not saying it was a good ranking system, nostalgia is just doing its job).

I already hated that part about osu!mania ranking, but it's probably for the better.
Vuelo Eluko
Yes the new scoring is absolute shit in every way. No, I don't care because I don't really play anymore and when i do its unranked/local rankings
A r M i N

[ Hazzy ] wrote:

I'm still a bit frustrated about them implementing a new scoring system, such as a cap on score etc. I think doing this without consent of the whole community is wrong, and would quit if they wiped scores! It's been years since the the game switched to this system and I don't really see why they would change something that works. The only reason that comes to mind is over waited DT maps and under use of hidden alone as a mod.
I also dont like it
Mahogany
It plays like shit so no thanks

Also 1m score cap also has no place or reason to be in singleplayer
LegendaryTizona
I really dislike the new score cap. It's entirely too useless. All it really does is removes the joy of seeing that number rise indefinitely.
Yuudachi-kun
A 1m score cap makes the game less enjoyable for people playing for the accomplishment of getting ever better scores and beating their friends on maps when everyone's score will be very clustered together.

Osu's about aim and combo first, acc second. You need to be able to hit the fucking notes actually for anything to matter, and you further increase your score by hitting accurately. It's the end of the map? Good, you better hit more 300s to compete.
Houtarou Oreki
The score cap is fucking ridiculous, why the hell would they do that?? Someone PLEASE EXPLAIN IT because I don't see a fucking point in this. Just look at the mania scoreboards. They're awfully boring. Why would you need to cap the score at one million? The game is (should be) meant to be ENJOYABLE. With this they're taking part of this enjoyment away.
Tho I'd be really happy with the accuracy-on-sliders thing. I think everybody agrees on this.

actually I don't give a shit, whatevr
Mahogany

Houtarou Oreki wrote:

The score cap is fucking ridiculous, why the hell would they do that?? Someone PLEASE EXPLAIN IT because I don't see a fucking point in this.
Because multiplayer is apparently a thing and this is literally just being shoehorned in.

Houtarou Oreki wrote:

Tho I'd be really happy with the accuracy-on-sliders thing. I think everybody agrees on this.
lmfao no.
TakuMii
I'm all for a new scoring system (the current system is pretty broken and has knowingly been since the early days). The only issue is implementation. Seeing as the game is almost 10 years old, it'll be pretty difficult to implement without ruining old scores and/or making plenty of people angry.

(as for the scorecap thing... I see no reason to oppose it. It'll make it somewhat easier to compare relative performance between maps, not to mention it won't really make a difference in terms of calculations. It's only a visual thing. Besides, plenty of other games have already been using scorecaps without much player complaint.)