forum

Sliders in regard to ScoreV2

posted
Total Posts
show more
Te Amo

Ohrami wrote:

_SecondChance_ wrote:

Im not good at scoreV2 so im going to complain about it.
Has nothing to do with whether or not you are good at it. My accuracy is apparently better than yours and I still don't like it. This sounds like one of those typical egotistical attention-seeking replies. I don't blame you, though; I used to say things like that when I was 17.

My main gripe is if old maps are changed, I have no idea how he will account for the fact that old players didn't have to deal with precise timing on sliders and new players do. It's not going to be a fair scoring system if some people have a handicap just because they played earlier.
But i wasnt even talking to you lol? I really am bad at score v2 and do go against it just cause of that, Calm it down man. It was a irrelevant comment directed at noone:/ people itching to start any arguement nowadays :(
Warpyc
People are so stuck up on old stuff and just refuses to accept change, some even try to threaten that they will quit the game or something like that matters lmao, we as a community should open up for change more, I really believe that this will be an improvement and wont change a lot, people are just overreacting so hard because "omg wubwub maps will be unplayable". No they wont, if you have a somewhat good acc generally that will barely change, if you cant click sliders in accurate timing like circles then you're doing something wrong, also people keep saying mapping will be ruined because of this, and I dont understand that at all, in what way will this change mapping, players will have to adapt not mappers. Also about speed ups and speed downs, I mean it works in every other rhythm game I've seen, why wouldnt it in osu, isnt it the same thing? For some reason people get anal when you compare games but its the same thing isnt it all games require you to hit the note on the correct timing. People should open up more to change because stuff will change. This isnt the only thing I've seen players upset about changes, ctb mappers seemed furious about a new editor for the mode which made absolutely no sense to me, but apperantly it will lower map quality and all good mappers will quit, lol. I really think people are overreacting at this change!

Thats my take on it, fite me!
N0thingSpecial
LET THE ERA OF LOW OD COMMENCE
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/65994 RIP
karterfreak

Khelly wrote:

Tasha wrote:

Can't say I agree with this. There are plenty of songs that have BPM changes like this in other modes that require you to hit notes accurately during BPM slowdowns / speedups.
Why are you talking about other modes in relation to standard? They shouldn't even come into the discussion
Because the concept is literally the same as other game modes? Accuracy is a part of rhythm games. It never made sense in the first place that sliders didn't have an accuracy check beyond clicking somewhere within the 100 window and following the slider for a free 300. I'm speaking as a standard player as well despite not being super high rank. Off tempo slider stuff shouldn't just be free accuracy because people can't time their hits.
chainpullz

Tasha wrote:

Because the concept is literally the same as other game modes? Accuracy is a part of rhythm games, it never made sense in the first place that sliders didn't have an accuracy check beyond clicking somewhere within the 100 window and following the slider for a free 300. I'm speaking as a standard player as well despite not being super high rank. Off tempo stuff shouldn't just be free accuracy because people can't time their hits.
Have you seen the leniency on lazers in sdvx? lol
B1rd

Tasha wrote:

Because the concept is literally the same as other game modes? Accuracy is a part of rhythm games. It never made sense in the first place that sliders didn't have an accuracy check beyond clicking somewhere within the 100 window and following the slider for a free 300. I'm speaking as a standard player as well despite not being super high rank. Off tempo slider stuff shouldn't just be free accuracy because people can't time their hits.
It's not free accuracy. You don't get an acc bonus for sliders. And osu! isn't just an acc game, it's an aim game as well.
Kert
I don't see a problem that maps with BPM changes won't be SS-able that easy by sightreading.
You still have your approach circles
timemon
I feel like accuracy doesn't matter much in this game. Aim is far more powerful. High acc is easily achievable once you know the basics.
By making sliders counted like a hitcircle it will be a huge buff to accuracy.
Sieg

Warpyc wrote:

People are so stuck up on old stuff and just refuses to accept change, some even try to threaten that they will quit the game or something like that matters lmao, we as a community should open up for change more, I really believe that this will be an improvement and wont change a lot, people are just overreacting so hard because "omg wubwub maps will be unplayable". No they wont, if you have a somewhat good acc generally that will barely change, if you cant click sliders in accurate timing like circles then you're doing something wrong, also people keep saying mapping will be ruined because of this, and I dont understand that at all, in what way will this change mapping, players will have to adapt not mappers. Also about speed ups and speed downs, I mean it works in every other rhythm game I've seen, why wouldnt it in osu, isnt it the same thing? For some reason people get anal when you compare games but its the same thing isnt it all games require you to hit the note on the correct timing. People should open up more to change because stuff will change. This isnt the only thing I've seen players upset about changes, ctb mappers seemed furious about a new editor for the mode which made absolutely no sense to me, but apperantly it will lower map quality and all good mappers will quit, lol. I really think people are overreacting at this change!

qft
deletemyaccount
all I really gather from this is

low accuracy players btfo
LoliPantsu
lets all quit and not update osu guys
Kunino Sagiri

LoliPantsu wrote:

lets all quit and not update osu guys
It's indeed disgusting but at least you'll easily decrease UR now unlike last time when you had to rely on silly trial and error just because of slider leniency.
NixXSkate
Why not just reduce the leniency, why does it have to go from extremely lenient sliders to completely changing the mechanics of sliders, completely changing the way they'll be mapped?
I Give Up
Only way this could work is if slider hit window is capped by OD and not by slider speed. Not sure how that would look like tho.
Cyclohexane

chainpullz wrote:

Tasha wrote:

Because the concept is literally the same as other game modes? Accuracy is a part of rhythm games, it never made sense in the first place that sliders didn't have an accuracy check beyond clicking somewhere within the 100 window and following the slider for a free 300. I'm speaking as a standard player as well despite not being super high rank. Off tempo stuff shouldn't just be free accuracy because people can't time their hits.
Have you seen the leniency on lazers in sdvx? lol
To be fair, they make up for it by overcharting the fuck out of their songs.

Ohrami wrote:

Or just leave the game the way it is, as the game that people have played for sometimes nearly 10 years

It doesn't make sense to me to change a fundamental gameplay aspect of a game like this. When it comes to how the game is actually played, it should stay the same forever. Adding annoying sounds when you pause or type isn't a big deal, but this change is.

I can pretty much guarantee that doing well in many currently ranked maps will become a test of retrying to hit those awkward (but still accurately timed) sliders. This won't be enjoyable for anyone. Newer maps would try to avoid this by either not mapping music that's complex, or by adding breaks or simply mapping simpler parts of the music's background. This is yet another reason why I consider the change unwelcome.
Well, Charles445 complained about sliders not being useable to indicate timing changes anymore, so that's what I was reacting to. I still have mixed opinions over the new system altogether.
-Makishima S-
Few things from my side as a player who enjoy slider maps, enjoy gimmick maps and prefer to still play them:

After long, i mean long time of playing i noticed that you can cleary hear when you hit slider too early / too late, you don't even need to watch your hiterror bar to see that you hitted in 50 points window but retarded slider leniency still gives you 300 (like what the fuck?! pls?!). Getting used to hitting sliders correctly is an art at some points, especially on gimmick maps like Fort, Pritia, HW, Hanzer, fanzhen and more. It isn't easy but also it isn't impossible.

Quoting @peppy - rrtyui still have SS on big black with Score V2 system.
Sorry but if someone will tell me that "bik blak is ez sliderz, its not an example" then lmfao.
WWW HR Pluto is 1 x 100 iirc from one person who analyzed replay.
I can bet right now that players who are actually pretty much universal in matter of gameplay and know "how-to osu!" will not even notice anything besides lower score.

Complains about mapping - i disagree with whole point of "sliders + variable bpm". If someone is experienced enough - he will notice that bpm change can occur, sliderspeed is different and will control his movement properly as far as it's not 0.1 SV long slider in middle of 280 bpm death metal "mazzerin type" song which is like... unrankable at some point? Something like this.

From long time people are complaining about slider dominated maps being not worth any pp - now peppy gives you opportunity to get juicy 400-500pp from Scarlet Rose and other maps like that in exchange for your skillset. If you ask me - VERY FAIR trade. Being better at this game for more pp from slider dominated maps? Fine, pls map more slider maps.

I am not closed for this innovation, more, i cannot wait for it.
I fully support implementing Score V2 into global ranking with my all 4 limbs (and my wallet too).
CXu
Just wanted to say that slider accuracy is probably much more relevant on lower level of gameplay than at higher levels, since right now they're very often used to make jumps easier as well as simplifying more complex rhythms in easy/normals and stuff. For most of the good playerbase: well, you can acc circles, so you can acc sliders.
Manysi

Warpyc wrote:

How could limitating mappers be an improvement?
Most mappers map for players so they have to adapt too. I mean, there is a reason we want our maps ranked.
Speedups and slowdowns will give both of us a hard time.Thease changes might lead to players leaving because there will be a huge loss in satisfactory factor.(of course there are competetive players who will be rather encouraged but please, loot at us casuals) Thats what keeps ppl like me interested in this game, you dont play well but you get the feeling you are ok. Sliders themeselves are the magic that allows us to make very creative stuff while still maintaining the song. Slider leniency is a spell beyond. We are able to use even more kinds of emphasis because of that.
And no.. im not a fan of wub wub maps but you should have a better reason to mutilate one of the best rhythm games than to make it more like the others.
winber1

CXu wrote:

Just wanted to say that slider accuracy is probably much more relevant on lower level of gameplay than at higher levels, since right now they're very often used to make jumps easier as well as simplifying more complex rhythms in easy/normals and stuff. For most of the good playerbase: well, you can acc circles, so you can acc sliders.
yea but then there's people like me whose accuracy is unfathomably inconsistent
-Makishima S-
Explain me please, what holds mappers back from keeping on creating maps like now?
Can you provide argument supported by valid technical informations? Which point of ScoreV2 kills mapping and why - one more time - technical informations, not some odd "i think it's like this".
Noone is limiting something!
Mapping isn't a business and everyone knows this. If some mapper decide to stay on his style and for eg. Priti or Fort will make another heavy gimmick slider map - with score v2 it's still perfectly rankable (unless non-existant "voice of community" aka council of ranking criteria decide that it's not then ayyy lmfao).
Where you see limitation?
I have read Charles post and with some points there i can disagree like for example:

You can't click circles to the beat when the beat keeps changing.
This is false statment. You may have problem with sightreading variable bpm map but once you play it and you actualy listen to song and followed rhythm, it get's way easier to recognize where rhythm change, where bpm change etc.

(of course there are competetive players who will be rather encouraged but please, loot at us casuals)
I am casual too, i am not competitive person at all into point where i completely shit at ranking, people who say "blablabla x pp @ x playcount blablabla u sucks blablabla" like, i can tell this kind of person in real life into 4 eyes "go fuck yourself and your shitty wanna be competitive behavior" - yet i am so fuckin hyped over this change because as far as everyone complain about sliders being huh.... almost unplayable after change? Do i get your complains right? Many, i mean, many slider dominated maps will start to be worth pp. This will actually motivate mappers to make this kind of maps even more.
Saphirshroom
Eh? Last time I checked this is a rhythm game. How is accuracy on sliders a bad thing? This was long overdue.

Tempo changes come without warning.
What the heck? Just listen to the music.
Manysi

[Taiga] wrote:

Explain me please, what holds mappers back from keeping on creating maps like now? Not all of them, just some.
Can you provide argument supported by valid technical informations? Which point of ScoreV2 kills mapping and why - one more time - technical informations, not some odd "i think it's like this". I didnt say it kills it. I think it only limits us beacuse we wont be able to rank maps with patterns that are based on slider leniency. To give you an example, look at this map: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/320722
at 00:48:136 (7,8,1) - you see they have 1/4 spacing. Now, what the mapper does is he emphasizes 1 with a stop at 8. Most of us wont hold 7 to the end and will ho for 8 instead which will create a stop feeling here. This is only possible because of slider leniency. Also, the whole map would play like hanzer doubles... I think i dont have to tell you more technical examples to see why a unique and enjoyable map would be ruined by this change. A bigger hit would be this https://osu.ppy.sh/s/409397. Its no so hard to see that almost none of the sliders are supposed to be hold to the very end in this map. They will still be playable but defintetly not fun...

Noone is limiting something! The situation is even worse than you think. Some kind of songs wont be mapped at insane level because it will be nearly impossible to creat an enjoyable map. Or at least very hard that only a few will bother.(and there is almost noone mapping 140 bpm trance.)
Mapping isn't a business and everyone knows this. yap but its fun. we want fun to be as much fun as it used to be. If some mapper decide to stay on his style and for eg. Priti or Fort will make another heavy gimmick slider map - with score v2 it's still perfectly rankable (unless non-existant "voice of community" aka council of ranking criteria decide that it's not then ayyy lmfao). wha? their maps arent heavy gimmick
Where you see limitation?
I have read Charles post and with some points there i can disagree like for example:

This is false statment. You may have problem with sightreading variable bpm map but once you play it and you actualy listen to song and followed rhythm, it get's way easier to recognize where rhythm change, where bpm change etc. He also stated sightreading for the first time playing the map. (i dont really know what you meant here)

(of course there are competetive players who will be rather encouraged but please, loot at us casuals)
I am casual too, i am not competitive person at all into point where i completely shit at ranking, people who say "blablabla x pp @ x playcount blablabla u sucks blablabla" like, i can tell this kind of person in real life into 4 eyes "go fuck yourself and your shitty wanna be competitive behavior" - yet i am so fuckin hyped over this change because as far as everyone complain about sliders being huh.... almost unplayable after change? Do i get your complains right? Many, i mean, many slider dominated maps will start to be worth pp. This will actually motivate mappers to make this kind of maps even more. You are competitive then... and can still suck while being competitive. And you didnt really tell the reason why you are hyped...
-Makishima S-
I didnt say it kills it. I think it only limits us beacuse we wont be able to rank maps with patterns that are based on slider leniency. To give you an example, look at this map: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/320722
at 00:48:136 (7,8,1) - you see they have 1/4 spacing. Now, what the mapper does is he emphasizes 1 with a stop at 8. Most of us wont hold 7 to the end and will ho for 8 instead which will create a stop feeling here. This is only possible because of slider leniency. Also, the whole map would play like hanzer doubles... I think i dont have to tell you more technical examples to see why a unique and enjoyable map would be ruined by this change. A bigger hit would be this https://osu.ppy.sh/s/409397 . Its no so hard to see that almost none of the sliders are supposed to be hold to the very end in this map. They will still be playable but defintetly not fun...
Will give it a time to analyze this personally, you make a lot of sense here so i put effort to make proper answer after i get some time to playtest this maps and compare to for example Miss You or way easier but still at some point based on sliders - EOS (both from Hanzer), or just some captin1 / Priti maps. So far i take your point.

yap but its fun. we want fun to be as much fun as it used to be
It is fun to point where you realize that i think not system holds you back but actual situation in BN/QAT + Loctav and ranking criteria limitation. Long story to talk why i don't bother to even try get some pretty great "gimmick viable" songs from The Algorithm ranked, simply most of them are below 5 min and completely not viable for diffs under minimum 4*. But mapping itself is fun, i agree.

(i dont really know what you meant here)
From my own experience - if you listen to song, follow rhythm for the first time, there is "something inside" what actually help slow down / move faster on bpm change, even while sightreading. You can play perfectly variable bpm maps even under 10 plays, it just takes different kind of approach in my opinion.

You are competitive then... and can still suck while being competitive. And you didnt really tell the reason why you are hyped...
No, unfortunately, i am not competitive player. I gave pretty valuable example why ScoreV2 is a good change and everyone should give it a chance. I don't realy care about my pp income as far as i have fun with maps from mappers what i love and i can enjoy this game.
I am hyped over ScoreV2 because i will don't need to sometimes watch my replay and decide to play map again because "hitted slider on 50 point range - got 300". This never should work like that. It's just my opinion. Sliders should punish for bad acc same way like circles - same, my own opinion as a player.
Ted_the_red

NixXSkate wrote:

Why not just reduce the leniency, why does it have to go from extremely lenient sliders to completely changing the mechanics of sliders, completely changing the way they'll be mapped?

imo the best of both worlds.

I like the idea that sliders would just be 2-3 values lower than the overall OD of a map. This gives mappers the option to still use sliders for bpm/tempo changes, and accuracy is still applied to sliders, just not in a harsh way. imo sliders shouldn't inherent the same amount of judgement as regular circles because they have the added difficulty of moving on a track.
B1rd

[Taiga] wrote:

From long time people are complaining about slider dominated maps being not worth any pp - now peppy gives you opportunity to get juicy 400-500pp from Scarlet Rose and other maps like that in exchange for your skillset. If you ask me - VERY FAIR trade. Being better at this game for more pp from slider dominated maps? Fine, pls map more slider maps.
Sliders are underweighed in aim. Not just acc.
Yolshka
I don't understand the system deeply , or how sliders work, butI'm mostly concerned about sliders on 1/6 ticks.
For instance on this https://osu.ppy.sh/s/81557 insane, the are some circles in the first few seconds on purple.Kinda hard to hit, at least for me.
Right now editing those to sliders is fine, but I'll wonder how sliders willl feel after change.
Warpyc

ShadyAngel wrote:

I don't understand the system deeply , or how sliders work, butI'm mostly concerned about sliders on 1/6 ticks.
For instance on this https://osu.ppy.sh/s/81557 insane, the are some circles in the first few seconds on purple.Kinda hard to hit, at least for me.
Right now editing those to sliders is fine, but I'll wonder how sliders willl feel after change.
Weird rhythms will be a pain but once you get it down after a few tries you should have no problem hitting them in a proper timing.

Also why do people think that the sliders being weighted into acc pp will make scarlet rose and big black give tons of pp, both are low od and like B1rd mentioned they are also aim underrated, there will be more pp but there wont be 500pp scores on scarlet rose I can tell you that much.

Mapping wont change because maps wont become unplayable, at absolutely worst the player gets a few more 100's and 50's nothing else, people are still overreacting
Yuudachi-kun
Scorev2 is the much larger travesty
chainpullz

Warpyc wrote:

Mapping wont change because maps wont become unplayable, at absolutely worst the player gets a few more 100's and 50's nothing else, people are still overreacting
Except mappers don't specifically have "not unplayable" in mind when they decide how difficult they are going to allow their mapping to be. They usually have a rough threshold of "I need to make sure my map doesn't exceed X craziness." This change will make patterns and spacing that relied on slider heads being lenient more difficult and thus more likely to exceed what a mapper feels is reasonable.

There have been several instance of playable maps that have been disqualified for having over the top jumps (ie. insert 150bpm 5.8* eroge tv size here). The issue isn't that such patterns are unplayable, it's that they are deemed unwarranted.

TL;DR "not unplayable" is not a good checkpoint for play-ability.
Ohrami
the current mapping meta was designed around sliders not requiring precise timing. imagine if it was made so you have to let go of the slider too, as many of the more classical rhythm games do with their holds. With the current mapping meta, getting SS on some maps which weren't designed to be difficult would be insanely hard.

The point is that the way people map is definitely going to be influenced by any change in the fundamental gameplay
Warpyc

chainpullz wrote:

Except mappers don't specifically have "not unplayable" in mind when they decide how difficult they are going to allow their mapping to be. They usually have a rough threshold of "I need to make sure my map doesn't exceed X craziness." This change will make patterns and spacing that relied on slider heads being lenient more difficult and thus more likely to exceed what a mapper feels is reasonable.

There have been several instance of playable maps that have been disqualified for having over the top jumps (ie. insert 150bpm 5.8* eroge tv size here). The issue isn't that such patterns are unplayable, it's that they are deemed unwarranted.

TL;DR "not unplayable" is not a good checkpoint for play-ability.
I dont get how the chance that a player might get an extra 100 on an intense part of the song because you made bigger jumps then necessary and put a slider there to justify it will change anything, just nerf the already overkill jump only a little if you are afraid that it will be dq because new slider changes which it probably wont, if it does its because the already over the top jump pattern you already had made players miss, not that some players might get an 100 on the slider at the end of the pattern. Unplayable was mostly bad wording by me, though I still strongly believe nothing will change.

Ohrami wrote:

the current mapping meta was designed around sliders not requiring precise timing. imagine if it was made so you have to let go of the slider too, as many of the more classical rhythm games do with their holds. With the current mapping meta, getting SS on some maps which weren't designed to be difficult would be insanely hard.

The point is that the way people map is definitely going to be influenced by any change in the fundamental gameplay
Also the current mapping meta is barely (not at all) based on sliders not requiering acc at all, since sliders also folllws the music I dont see how maps can be focused on sliders not needed to be hit on time, as for letting go on slider ends I'm not quite sure how that would play out since I'm not sure if I already do that or not but I am sure that I already hit slider heads accurately just like notes and I've yet to come across a slider that I've felt like I've hit really off time and still felt like the map was made in a good way where its justified for me hitting it early/late because its after a big jump or something, that makes no sense

The only real problem I see is with this at all is for impatient people that plays hidden on changing bpm maps since they wont have approach circle to assist with timing. Though if you put a few tries into the map I'm sure you could get good acc anyways but whatever.

Enjoy wall of text and opinions 8-)