forum

ScoreV2 will probably be implemented in solo mode

posted
Total Posts
show more
chainpullz

Endaris wrote:

So if I hit a slider on time I have to perfectly follow it through?
No.

Endaris wrote:

hitplacement will be an accurate one that is supposed to be played exactly like that and the better the player playing your map the closer he will stick to what you mapped.
You literally said so yourself but I guess you are too stupid to understand your own argument. Please don't expect people to take you seriously at this point. Yes, this last statement of yours goes beyond the point of mere ignorance and into the realm of stupidity.
Ohrami
I personally don't like the change. How is he going to implement it into the game? Is he just going to make it so newer maps have ScoreV2? If he goes full peppy and puts it on every map including those that already have thousands of scores on them then that would really suck

I played the game for years with the sliders the way they are and I like it that way. Yeah it's easier but there's a lot of weird ass sliders in this game that are practically unfair in their timing if they weren't so lenient, and that allows for more fun maps. I can watch replays of top players and quite easily predict where their slider timing will be 100 because they're used to the game as it is. Not to mention really short sliders will become an even bigger pain in the ass because you already can't hit them late at all.
Sheikah
Awesome! As a new player I was wondering why sliders haven't accuracy judgement. Glad to see the game evolving
Yuudachi-kun

Ohrami wrote:

I personally don't like the change. How is he going to implement it into the game? Is he just going to make it so newer maps have ScoreV2? If he goes full peppy and puts it on every map including those that already have thousands of scores on them then that would really suck
Yeah but he's peppy so fuck you.

Literally his response.
Ohrami

Khelly wrote:

Ohrami wrote:

Yeah but he's peppy so fuck you.

Literally his response.
you get used to it after playing for so long
Endaris

chainpullz wrote:

Endaris wrote:

So if I hit a slider on time I have to perfectly follow it through?
No.

Endaris wrote:

hitplacement will be an accurate one that is supposed to be played exactly like that and the better the player playing your map the closer he will stick to what you mapped.
You literally said so yourself but I guess you are too stupid to understand your own argument. Please don't expect people to take you seriously at this point. Yes, this last statement of yours goes beyond the point of mere ignorance and into the realm of stupidity.
Hitplacement can also relate to the timeline but I guess you're too busy to shoot out personal attacks to contextuate things.
Sorry for being relatively bad at english so I can't describe my points as accurately as you or Charles can. It's probably the mainreason why you decide to be a douche and hate the shit out of me.
ZenithPhantasm
play more
chainpullz

Endaris wrote:

Hitplacement can also relate to the timeline but I guess you're too busy to shoot out personal attacks to contextuate things.
Sorry for being relatively bad at english so I can't describe my points as accurately as you or Charles can. It's probably the mainreason why you decide to be a douche and hate the shit out of me.
If you're bad at English either find a way to not come off so presumptuous when replying to experts or just don't reply at all. Your reply to rlc can easily be construed as a personal attack on his notions of mapping.

It's well known that exaggerated difficulty in one area of the game (reading/aim/timing etc.) will detract from one's ability to perform in the other areas. In essence, you have to split your focus across the different gameplay aspects. One way that timing lenience falls under the category of movement lenience is that you literally can't hit a circle until you've moved over it. By making timing more lenient you in turn give a player more room to aim. This allows for the use of more exaggerated spacing without inconsistently raising the overall difficulty of a pattern. Thus, in the same way that jumps starting on sliders can be more spaced, jumps ending on sliders can also be more spaced.

To shine a different light on this let's consider instead of removing slider leniency we require all maps be at least cs4. You can make the same arguments "oh man, better get used to playing cs4+", "X players play on Y challenging map would have still been a fc", "Omg, I'm so glad those filthy cs3 players will finally have to learn to play this game xD", "oh man, this is going to be pp heaven for me", etc. But some maps were mapped the way they were because the creator had the option of using lower cs. For instance maps like

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/316018
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/368845

are only mapped as crazy as they are because lower cs gives that kind of freedom. You could map the same objects in the same way with cs4 and the map would play like 10x worse. I doubt HW would have even mapped these if forced to use cs4 because even she has (her own) sense of what is quality and what is not.

I'm sure most people would agree that it's silly to force a mapper to use cs4 because they should have some freedom in what difficulty settings they choose. What most people don't realize is that slider leniency very much plays a similar role in mapping. Styles using lots of sliders don't simply "have lots of sliders" the leniancy part of sliders is what the entire mapping style is based around. Removing the leniency is equivalent to removing the styles altogether.
7ambda
I honestly don't see why there needs to be a 1,000,000 score cap.
Kunino Sagiri

Mofu kun wrote:

[*]Max Score is 1,000,000 plus spinner bonus.
[*]Slider start circles now have accuracy judgement. If you hit them in the 100 or 50 accuracy range, that will cap the maximum score you can get from the slider as a whole.
Disgusting.
ryza

Charles445 wrote:

Maps are designed around first try sight-reading. This also assumes the player has not heard the song.
This hasn't been completely true for quite some time. There are plenty of ranked maps with traps and other awkward things that might require multiple playthroughs for most players to understand. It's also a philosophy that's outdated, maps are becoming more complicated and sometimes readibility gets sacrificed for interesting/fun things (note readability and playability are different things).

As to the main point of this post, I don't think introducing slider timing is a bad thing. First off, if your timing is proper, your timing on sliders will almost always be correct as well. Second, this change does not effect slider leniency in the slightest. It might take a bit of testing on scorev2 for people to actually understand this, but just because you can now get 100's on slider starts doesn't actually change the way the sliders play. If you have a spam slider section, or lots of 3/4 sliders, or large jumps off of sliders, the slider leniency still applies. It's just now possible to get bad accuracy on these sections... if you have bad accuracy. But just because someone might get 100's here now, suddenly mappers have to think about that? The ability to play it and keep combo will stay the same, and that should be what's important.

So I think there's a very serious misunderstanding a lot of people are having, that these 100's will somehow be detrimental to the way the map plays. And I think that's not true.

As for slow sections/tempo changes/weird rhythms - I stated at the beginning of my post that I think mapping around sight-reading is outdated and misguided. At least, mapping around sight-read FC's. People expect to grind maps for good scores. It's a part of the game. It's okay to have weird things that people have to figure out in order to get a good score. And once they figure it out, it's not an issue. You can still map these types of sections in the same ways, just now people have to actually learn the rhythms to get a good score instead of mashing through them. Not to mention, sliders can still be used as a way to warn the play the rhythm is changing in a weird way - you will always have perfect accuracy on the slider end and the slider end will tell the player the new rhythm. And more often than not, the slider end is what's telling the player the rhythm is changing - NOT the beginning of it.

And like people have said before, most other rhythm games have hit judgment on every object, and players in those games have been dealing with tempo changes and weird rhythms for a long time. People might say "well those games aren't osu!" and that is correct, but they are very similar in a lot of ways. If it's something people can deal with in those games, why can't players here also deal with it? The answer is they can, actually.

I hope this makes sense. I always worry I'm not able to explain my opinions properly, in a way that other people can understand.
Ohrami
Like I said just don't put this on older maps otherwise the scores would be imbalanced. In this case I doubt most people would care that much even if they consider it annoying. The "slider timing" extension of OD sounds, to me, like a great suggestion, just like the approach rate extension of the original OD.
Topic Starter
Mofu kun
Oh, the previous title for this was a bit misleading, so i guess they changed it to a more fitting one.
DeliciousBread
Not a big fan of the score cap, I like having the possibility of reaching big scores if I play well, having them capped would feel unrewarding.
I personally have no strong opinion on the slider change right now though, if it comes down to it I'll just have to get good/better at them depending on how the change affects my play.
Yuudachi-kun
Scorecap is retarded. Slider change is slightly less retarded.
B1rd
Fuck score v2. Fuck it. I complained about it since it was announced but of course my thread was locked before I could do anything about it. Also nice to know that all the time I've spent farming score to get on the leader boards will be completely wasted. Now the whole game will be about acc, yay, because you know hurr durr it's a rhythm name, the name of the genre defines every aspect of how the game must play.
Mahogany

B1rd wrote:

Fuck score v2. Fuck it. I complained about it since it was announced but of course my thread was locked before I could do anything about it. Also nice to know that all the time I've spent farming score to get on the leader boards will be completely wasted. Now the whole game will be about acc, yay, because you know hurr durr it's a rhythm name, the name of the genre defines every aspect of how the game must play.

never forget
Full Tablet
The score cap doesn't actually mean much in itself. It just multiplies the score by a beatmap constant so the maximum possible is a fixed number; in the end, it is not different to, say, measuring the mass of something in grams vs measuring in ounces.

The only effect it has in gameplay is changing the relative importance of over-spinning; maybe adjusting the score given by over-spinning based on map length would help to balance things out (each spin gives less points if the beatmap is longer).
Mahogany

Full Tablet wrote:

The score cap doesn't actually mean much in itself. It just multiplies the score by a beatmap constant so the maximum possible is a fixed number; in the end, it is not different to, say, measuring the mass of something in grams vs measuring in ounces.
So, as you say, it doesn't really affect anything either way. So, then, why is it even being changed?
B1rd
Now 15 minute marathons will be worth as much as 30 second easys? Ranked score will be completely irrelevant. Too bad for people who've spent half a decade farming score, it''ll now be all for nothing.

Also, the SS only players are probably gonna have a really bad day.
Gigo
The score cap is not needed, in my opinion. What purpose is it actually supposed to serve? What's wrong with the lack of score ceiling?

Unlike many people though, I am excited about the accuracy judgment on sliderstarts.
Yuudachi-kun

B1rd wrote:

Now 15 minute marathons will be worth as much as 30 second easys? Ranked score will be completely irrelevant. Too bad for people who've spent half a decade farming score, it''ll now be all for nothing.

RIP RAINEMI

I don't expect peppy to make good on his "Leaving old scores alone" comment
chainpullz

B1rd wrote:

???
It was already irrelevant when pp became the relevant metric. The score change isn't retroactive and there are plenty of old maps to farm score on.
Kunino Sagiri

chainpullz wrote:

???
It was already irrelevant when pp became the relevant metric. The score change isn't retroactive and there are plenty of old maps to farm score on.
Stop pretending to be retarded and actually trying to defend the ONE MILLION """"""""""""HIGH"""""""""""" SCORE
Ohrami
I forgot to mention, my biggest gripe with scorev2 is the spinners being added as a 1k bonus for every spin. They seem like they'll be worth way too much in some maps. This might, by the way, be the reason for the 1m score limit.
chainpullz

Kunino Sagiri wrote:

chainpullz wrote:

???
Stop pretending to be retarded and actually trying to defend the ONE MILLION """"""""""""HIGH"""""""""""" SCORE
I just want to git gud at this game and play interesting maps. I could care less about anything else tbh. Unfortunately anything that might impede on mapper creativity goes against the latter interest.
winber1

Ohrami wrote:

I forgot to mention, my biggest gripe with scorev2 is the spinners being added as a 1k bonus for every spin. They seem like they'll be worth way too much in some maps. This might, by the way, be the reason for the 1m score limit.
yea, this makes no sense. if this is actually the case, spinners then have a variable amount of impact on the score depending on the map, which should not happen, especially when it comes to long slider bonuses.
Yuudachi-kun
I mean, if you're going to put in something close to a point cap, can't you just make every 300, 100, and 50 give a STATIC amount of score and let there be no cap?
winber1

Khelly wrote:

I mean, if you're going to put in something close to a point cap, can't you just make every 300, 100, and 50 give a STATIC amount of score and let there be no cap?
that gets rid of the point of combo, which is a large part of the game.

i mean what probably makes the most sense is a kinda of combo cap which would limit the amount of score that could be obtained so that it's not exponentially growing, but peppy has his whatever reasons to do it. old score has nostalgia, but when it comes to competitions, the old score is terrible imo, even tho i still would like to keep it as the main type of score for everything else.
7ambda

Gigo wrote:

The score cap is not needed, in my opinion. What purpose is it actually supposed to serve? What's wrong with the lack of score ceiling?

Unlike many people though, I am excited about the accuracy judgment on sliderstarts.
I think it's supposed to balance multiplayer more by preventing a player from carrying their team with a large combo, but honestly, that only negatively impacts leaderboard scores.
DeathHydra
Now I really have to practice my acc... >:(
-Makishima S-
[Taiga], with all due respect, you say this with only 2 graveyarded maps. May I ask what gives you the agency to be able to make these assumptions about mapping?
Common sense about gameplay and "mappers creativity" since i am on one boat with not many people who actually love and defend Hollow Wings and fanzhen maps. Considering i played them in ScoreV2 in multi which will not be different from live version, nothing will change. You just overreacting this since you get too used for "non acc punishing sliders" and spread theories like it will kill sliders. BS honestly.

If you are good enough, you will normally play slider maps.

//ot: 2 graveyarded maps and many more not submited on my disk.
I Give Up
Darn. I wish they'd remove accuracy from spinners, like bananas in CtB. Spinners are just free accuracy when there is no accuracy component really.
7ambda

KukiMonster wrote:

Spinners are just free accuracy when there is no accuracy component really.
Not if you spaghetti spin.
Yuudachi-kun
Nice deleted posts
Kert
FL multiplier should be increased in the same way as DT atleast. Or should use a separate algorithm for that (cough cough my signature)
Spinner bonus is flawed as Full Tablet pointed out.
Everything else is fine I think.
Estaryo

winber1 wrote:

Khelly wrote:

that gets rid of the point of combo, which is a large part of the game.

i mean what probably makes the most sense is a kinda of combo cap which would limit the amount of score that could be obtained so that it's not exponentially growing, but peppy has his whatever reasons to do it. old score has nostalgia, but when it comes to competitions, the old score is terrible imo, even tho i still would like to keep it as the main type of score for everything else.
That would be The Taiko Scoresystem, where the combo-bonus ends with 100xCombo btw xD

Why are the People giving so much attention to the Sliderthing, that looks like noone even tries to click sliders in time.
And i really dont know whats the problem there.

For a normal player like me nothing would change, cause i try to click them in time and follow them, no matter how complicated that doesnt make them harder like before.
CS 3 Sidereading ...... cmon that goes way to far -.- stay focused and dont overreact.

I like the new Scoresystem because its more rewarding to players that goes with the rythm. Accuracy is way to underrated. Players shouldnt get that much score only due to luck of a high combo, if they cant hit the most objects in time, its a rythmgame so i would be fine with that changes.
Minhtam

B1rd wrote:

Personally, I prefer to see all scores wiped. It just gives me even more motivation to SS more songs than I currently do right now.
CXu
Uh, arguing for the sliderchange by stating that osu! is a rhythm game is kind of dumb. Like, yeah, it's a rhythm game, but it's also an aiming game. Just because other rhythm games have it, doesn't automatically mean it would work well in osu!. Some rhythm games have timing on hold release too, but that would really screw things up because of the 1/4 usage these days accompanied by jumps. And spinners aren't rhythmical, but we're still okay with that. Sliders are less rhythmical than notes, which is probably why they're often used in situations were the mapper thinks it's better to focus on other parts of the game than on just the rhythm, while still maintaining some requirements to rhythm.

The slider changes won't actually impact most good players other than on a select few maps anyway, since they're most likely already hitting them mostly on time anyway. Playability doesn't actually change in the sense that, well, if you didn't miss before, you won't miss now either. You'll just get an accuracy drop.

But using slider leniency as part of mapping is definitely a thing, especially on lower difficulties where emphasis with higher spacing often uses sliders as they're much more lenient on the aiming component of the game, and rhythms are also simplified with the use of sliders in easy/normals. To be honest, I think this change would impact lower level players more than it would the higher level.

My main gripe is more just how late it is to change such a game mechanic now. I don't like the idea of a divide between old and new ranked maps, where suddenly the game mechanics changes between the old and the new. I'd much rather see it apply to every map that exists, but if that's done, then all previous scores don't matter anymore, and that's kinda shitty too. Which is why I think people are suggesting alternatives such as adding it as a mod or difficulty setting to the mapper. That means these changes can apply to every map, without destroying several years of work put in by the playerbase.

As for scoreV2. Have you ever tried to FC a song with very good accuracy to set a really good score? If you have, then you've probably felt the nerves included at the end of the map. If something hard is at the end of a map, you'll be nervous leading up to it, and if it's in the middle, you might start getting nervous much earlier than on other maps. Playing under that mental pressure is a part of the game currently that wouldn't really be a thing anymore with score v2. If there is, say, a very jumppattern somewhere, I wouldn't actually need to attempt to hit all the jumps anymore, since I'd still get rewarded if I can keep a high accuracy. Missing at the end of a map is also no longer as much of a dent in your score anymore, resulting in the possibility to relax more during the end of a map. While a lot of rhythm games don't incorporate a combo based scoring system, but they also don't have the aiming aspect of the game to consider. Also, I always enjoyed the sense of accomplishment from full comboing a map, because that means you didn't mess up your aim anywhere within the map, but that might just be me so eh.

Scorecap is fine, but it should be much higher than a million, and shouldn't be technically reachable in my opinion. Just make the max score of a map increase slower and slower with object density upwards to whatever the score cap is right now. This way, you'd prevent score overflow on stupid long marathon maps, but still maintain the competitiveness on score-rankings (and yes, some people still care about that). And it makes sense that a map with more objects, would mean the player gets more 300 hits, and scores more points anyway, so it's much more intuitive.

But well, I think the main problem with it right now is that we don't know exactly how peppy wants to implement these changes into the game. I think for a lot of people (me included) it isn't so much the fact that slider accuracy is bad, but more so what it does to existing maps, scores, and different ways people enjoy this game (score farming, for instance). If the implementation is going to create a divide between the old and new, and/or the potential for a score wipe down the line, then no, I don't really want this.

But yeah, I guess I'm kinda just rambling.

How slider accuracy works right now
I dunno, reading around on reddit makes me think most people don't actually know how slider accuracy works right now.
You get a 300 if you hit all sliderstart, sliderends, sliderrepeats and ticks of a slider.
You get a 100 if you hit over 50% of the elements above.
You get a 50 if you hit below 50% of the elements above.
You miss if you miss all of the elements above.

You don't break combo if you miss the sliderend, but you don't add +1 to your combo either.
You break the combo if you miss anything else.

Which also means just touching the sliderpath doesn't count as hitting it.
And if slider accuracy is added. Please make a distinction between slider rhythm accuracy and slider aiming accuracy.
chainpullz

CXu wrote:

competitiveness on score-rankings (and yes, some people still care about that)
I never said people don't care about it, just that it's no longer a relevant metric because the community as a whole doesn't really care about it (compared to pp).

As long as the change is only retroactive score farming will still be possible, just not in the same way on new maps which will create a divide between score farming and playing for fun but honestly there are so many caveats such as unranked, short duration, etc. that you would avoid for maximum score farm that this divide already exists anyways. At least with new ranked maps you will get some score vs. the 0 score you get from unranked.

Also, afaik peppy has yet to state that he plans to cease support for score as a metric. The actual implementation could very well include a transform from map score into ranked score which then gets recorded on your profile.

I completely agree with everything you said on the slider part of SV2 though. The feedback on this change seems to be coming from 3 camps

1) Knowledgeable Mappers - against change because limits creativity and/or song choice
2) Good/Overzealous Players - for the change because either not negative affected by it or want to feel a sense of superiority over those against
3) Bad/Casual Players - against change because either ruins their ability to farm or ruins their ability to casually enjoy game

Of course let's not forget that osu! is a one man one vote democracy. Peppy is the man so he gets the vote.
show more