forum

Mental Issue

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Doms
-Wall of text incoming-

I don't really know if "Mental Issue" is the right thing to describe my problem, but I hope it is not missleading. If so, I am sorry.

Alright, so..

I will try to keep this short. Also, I want to apologize for creating another one of these topics. I would prob. find the answer to it somewhere on reddit or in the forums but I just felt like i kinda have to ask, otherwise it will drive me insane.

Since last september I am really trying my best to improve my gameplay. I always try to know my weaknesses and what I am good at and play to improve these things; but there is one thing that bothers me alot. When I was younger I used to spam these hard maps over and over. If you check my profile you will see that I got like 1000 tries on big black alone, which is just stupid. ( Like all of my most played songs actually, but I am past that. I know I can't beat them yet and I won't even try again until I got better.. )

So why am I posting this? I just feel like I have NO idea at all where to start. Because I was stupid and was spamming all kind of hard maps, I find my gameplay to be very bad for my current rank. (NOTE: I do NOT play for PP and do not farm for it. I sometimes randomly FC a song and get some PP for it, but I NEVER really used tillerino. If that's my mistake, please let me know, but I always felt like rank 7.5K is already too high for me. ) An example would be, I could FC almost any Song on Insane, but because my reading is terrible or a random stream pops up, I fail or my acc drops to like 92%. Then again my accuracy gets unstable and I get a sliderbreak or do not pay attention for a second or so. I noticed that a while ago when I was watching a friend of mine. His skill level was always a bit below mine and also today, he is still not as good as me. (My aim is still a bit better than his and I can also tap faster with higher acc n' him.) Yet, he manages to FC almost any song that I am trying to FC for almost 2 months now within 1-10 tries. I decided to FC some easier songs (Most of the time TV-Sized maps on Insane without mods)but it just feels too easy and I feel like I won't improve that way either.

Just so you got an idea of what I am thinking about my gameplay: I know my streaming sucks, my accruaccy isn't the best either. My aim is terrible, my reading could need some improvement and sometimes I don't snap to notes. The only thing that I am really good at is fast jumps on higher bpms, but since my streaming is garbage and my accuracy is even worse, I can't take much advantage of that.(Also, my stamina is rather weak, but that's another problem and I do not plan on fixing this until I can actually go for the 200bpm+ streams.) I know how to improve. When I started to really focus on improvement in september, I went to the forums and tried to get as much information on improving as possible. I know that I have to play more. I just don't know WHAT I should play next and what I should focus on first. I mean, I got like 20k+ beatmaps and I rarly play the same beatmap more n' 3-4 times because its either too easy to FC or too hard to FC. I really wanted to become a DT HD player. I really enjoy the DT/NC Mod and especially TV-Size Maps on 220bpm+.There is only one problem: I can't stream properly on higher bpm. ( Even 170 is high for me, while I can easily play 220-230bpm+ maps if they do not have any streams. ) So I decided to start with some HD HR, but I can't really read it and my accuracy is absolute terrible.(I know it's a good run if I get 93% lol) Also, I really do not enjoy playing it.(If I have to play it to improve, I'd still play it.) I know it's hard to read and get good acc since I just started using the mod. But still, I'd prefer DT HD much more.

My biggest problem next to accuracy is prob. streaming. The thing is, I LOVE streaming maps. I don't really know why, I just get this good feeling whenever I manage to complete a stream without mistakes. My current goal is 200bpm to beat some of the Dragonforce maps, but I do not really only care about that. It's just something I really want to achieve. I know that ACC is more important then Speed but I feel like even for my current skill level not being able to stream 150bpm for more n' 20 hits is just.. I don't really know. I am a perfectionist. My actual goal is always to improve what I am bad at, to get the best overall gameplay possible. I am literally spamming freedom dive and blue zenith on half time over and over and over, just to get any better at it. Without success so far. (Been about 3 weeks now and I doubt it is a stamina problem since I was literally spamming these maps and never really managed to get my arm tired, So I guess it some kind of mental block that I have no idea on how to fix yet.) I just feel that's not the solution to my problem and won't make me play better in other aspects of the game. I'd prob. just want to talk with someone ingame about that or just know if I am worrying too much about my current skill level. I still enjoy osu!. Actually, playing to get better makes osu! even more fun for me.

Now to the actual question. Do I worry too much? What should I really focus on for now? Or should I even focus on something? Maybe you also got any other tips that might help me.
I know this sounds so stupid, but it's like something that is running through my head whenever I start up Osu! and I just want to get rid of it.

NOTE: I do not expect to be the best player ever now that I get some help. I still know that I need to play more (like, ALOT more) and if you're going to tell me that I need to practice XYZ for 92835798 plays, it's fine for me. (Otherwise I would not post this lol) I would literally do anything to improve, I'd just like to know what exactly I should be working on and how I should be facing these kind of problems. (And stop myself from buying a new keyboard every 3 months.)

Thanks for ANY kind of help.
iiyo
There is no trick or tips I could give you, the only advice I can give you is if you are not fast enough find a way to be faster, If you are not good enough, find a way to be good enough. I improved around 50% when I changed my keys from A D to Z C, change things around, maybe get a different kb, maybe new monitor who knows. You could be a HR or DT player. You're still to early to be thinking things like this, If there is a wall for you, break it down. Good luck on your adventure.
Minhtam
Maybe you should take up SS Farming.

I don't mean constantly play Easys and Normals just to boost your SS count. I mean SS'ing as many 3.0* to 4.5* maps on Overall Difficulty = 7 as you can. Your current skill level is good enough to do that, and you will find that the more you SS OD 7's, the more conditioned your fingers are going to be, to the point that accuracy becomes second nature to you and all you would need to worry about then is aim.
I Give Up
ZenithPhantasm
Play more maps that are actually at your level
Topic Starter
Doms

Minhtam wrote:

Maybe you should take up SS Farming.
I never actually thought much about that. Definitly going to try that out! Thanks alot!

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Play more maps that are actually at your level
I was trying. But it's really hard for me to find songs that really are at my level or slightly above. I mean, I could use tillerino to get some beatmaps but I feel like that would only help me getting better at what I am already good at and I really do not want to ignore the fact that I can't stream or that my snapping isn't the best and so on.
Mahogany
Snapping is a myth and if you don't snap naturally as part of your aim then it isn't worth learning.

I can't stream either, I know your pain :(
ithgyu
dont try ss farming lol. Play more and if you have a weakness, work to get rid of it. Are you slow? play fast stuff until your arm hurts.sleep.repeat. Aim sucks? play hr, play nomod hd, edit maps to cs 7. Use common sense if you want to get good... and play the game a lot
Topic Starter
Doms

II Jelli II wrote:

dont try ss farming lol. Play more and if you have a weakness, work to get rid of it. Are you slow? play fast stuff until your arm hurts.sleep.repeat. Aim sucks? play hr, play nomod hd, edit maps to cs 7. Use common sense if you want to get good... and play the game a lot
That leaves one open question for me. Should I work on what's my bigges weakness first or should I work on what's more important for the gameplay in general first? Let's take streaming again. I feel like streaming is my biggest weakness. But personally think aim and accuraccy is MUCH more important. So, should I practice streaming first or improve my aim and acuraccy first before working on my streams?
Risa
U can choose to ignore your biggest weakness first and come back to it later or get it fixed once and for all before others surface again.
In the end it's up to u.
Krzysiek
Few questions:
- what do you like about this game?
- do you think about map segments instead of letting your hands do the job during play?
- could you use less words?

If this game fails to entertain you, you fail to use the game correctly.
Topic Starter
Doms

Krzysiek wrote:

- what do you like about this game?
Almost everything. Otherwise I would not be playing it.

Krzysiek wrote:

- do you think about map segments instead of letting your hands do the job during play?
Hard to say, think I do.

Krzysiek wrote:

- could you use less words?
When I start writing a text I usually make it a lot longer n' necessary. I am sorry if my wall of text was too long. ( It could've been even longer lol)

I still enjoy playing osu! and will prob. still in 2-3 years. Osu! actually never got boring for me. (Just need a break at some points but it still entertains me).
Mahogany
Eliminate all thinking from your play

Every motion should be a reaction instead of being premeditated

Overthinking plays is why people get mindblocked.
Topic Starter
Doms

Mahogany wrote:

Eliminate all thinking from your play

Every motion should be a reaction instead of being premeditated

Overthinking plays is why people get mindblocked.
If this is really the reason why I can't stream I will prob. hate myself for the rest of my life. But now that you mention it, yeah. I like to think about so much stuff while playing osu!. Should prob. work on that first. Thanks alot.
Kunino Sagiri
I refuse to believe that you actually tried to practice streaming but I believe the part where you blamed the keyboard and replaced it even if it did nothing wrong.
Topic Starter
Doms

Kunino Sagiri wrote:

I refuse to believe that you actually tried to practice streaming but I believe the part where you blamed the keyboard and replaced it even if it did nothing wrong.
Both parts are true. FD4D should still be in my most played maps since I am literally spamming the shit out of that map. I might not spent alot of time over the past 2 years but I always tried again. But I gotta admit that I didn't do that much for it compared to other things.
Mahogany

Doms wrote:

If this is really the reason why I can't stream I will prob. hate myself for the rest of my life. But now that you mention it, yeah. I like to think about so much stuff while playing osu!. Should prob. work on that first. Thanks alot.
I find my main problem was lack of finger co-ordination and fingers being low on stamina before streams which was why I could do some streams and not some others.

Try learning to alternate, it helped me a lot.

Doms wrote:

FD4D should still be in my most played maps since I am literally spamming the shit out of that map.
Omg please stop spamming stuff you can't do and instead start at low BPM and work your way up. You'll be way better for it, guaranteed.
Topic Starter
Doms

Doms wrote:

Omg please stop spamming stuff you can't do and instead start at low BPM and work your way up. You'll be way better for it, guaranteed.
Well, I can kinda play it on Halftime and it makes my hand really tired after some tries, that's why I like spamming it over and over. But I guess I'll just start with some bpm less and work my way up. Thanks alot
Mahogany
Oh, well halftime should be alright, since 168 is like the lower end of streaming speed.