7.69%
5 - Masterpiece
57.69%
1 - Awful
0.00%
Total votes: 26
show more
happy30
It should be released in a few days in your country.
The characters are indeed flat, but I don't really mind because I liked the 2d portraits more anyway.
too bad for those who wanted to see alice in 3D >__>

voice acting is great i'd say. I especially like phi. Clover is also good, much better than her english voice.

I thought the rooms in de demo were really bland and cheap, so far the crew quarters was the lamest escape segment. imo
Topic Starter
YGOkid8
lol my god i was actually stuck in the demo for aaaages, in the end i was only able to get through it through all the hints alice and phi threw at me. and it was on easy too! the shame :(

sigma scratching the poster was hilarious though :p also phi looks so... bored and detached, wondering how she gets together with sigma.
assuming they do because of all those screenies but hey might be wrong.

EDIT: also just realised that us in AU (as well as EU) only get Japanese voice acting :/ which is better than just English, but I wanted English as well! dammit why does 3DS have to be region locked...

EDIT: so has anyone actually finished this game? to my dismay, it's only out on Nintendo eShop for AUS, and i have no funds to use :<
will thank and grovel for anyone who gives me money lol
happy30
just finished the game yesterday...wow this took me way too many hours
overall this game was better than the first game, although I missed the setting of the first game a bit.

and some parts of the ending were a bit predictable

also advising everyone to have a pen and notebook ready... lol, the game won't remember some codes for you
Topic Starter
YGOkid8
means quite a bit for this to be better than the first game, cause that itself was already a masterpiece :o
dammit i can't get this game soon enough!
NoHitter
Just started reading through it. (Damn why did I get a gift at such a wrong time D: Now I keep on blowing off more important things.)
As of when I stopped reading, the sequel seems to have a less "sense of impending doom and sense of betrayal".

I mean "Zero is among us." was just mentioned so early in the game, and the reactions of everyone were somewhat bland.
LukaXD
Can't wait to get Virtue's Last Reward, played through "999" 8 times total and I LOVED it. Although I think I should wait a bit before i get it (until the PEC room bug gets fixed atleast).
Topic Starter
YGOkid8
speaking of this game, found it yesterday at jb after ages of searching. now i've got no money, but fingers crossed no one else buys it
NoHitter
Finished it, and HOLY it is either of the same quality or better than 999.

About the ending: I definitely think the "girl" Sigma saves in the test site is Phi, and that the test site is the sequel material.
Topic Starter
YGOkid8
finally bought the game! will play when i'm done with my replays of ace attorney and 999 (so i can refresh myself on story). cannot wait to read those spoiler'd texts!
Dooms

NoHitter wrote:

Finished it, and HOLY it is either of the same quality or better than 999.

About the ending: I definitely think the "girl" Sigma saves in the test site is Phi, and that the test site is the sequel material.
I thought it was talking about Tenmyouji saving Akane, which was in 999. Did Sigma really save someone? o_O.
NoHitter

Dooms wrote:

I thought it was talking about Tenmyouji saving Akane, which was in 999. Did Sigma really save someone? o_O.
Nah. Akane says something about Sigma saving a girl in the Mars exploration test site before he got his eye removed and arms cut off. My guess is that girl was Phi. Remember the recording of the Mars exploration test site? The voice of the girl sounded like Phi's voice.

If we couple that with what we know: Sigma going into the test site located in the desert. Phi's consciousness travelling back into the past as well. Junpei/Tenmyouji having something to do with the the Mars project as he hints in one of the routes. Akane probably going to the test site with Sigma. Alice and Clover about to infiltrate a "facility in the desert". The Radical-6 virus spreading from the test site. The leader of the religion that wanted the world to be wiped out using Radical-6 being an esper as well...

So many delicious plot points to dissect and the possibility of a reunion of characters for the sequel.
Topic Starter
YGOkid8
okay, just started playing VLR, and... i wish we over here in AU had access to english voices :( i dunno why, but the japanese one is very off-putting, when i'm trying to read in english. i haven't had this problem with VNs i've played on comp, so i dunno why it's putting me off now...

rrgh stupid region lock, otherwise i'd hack and buy a US version of this game

in other things, is this like the first game where there was a safe end and true end? i just want to know which routes i should save for later, but i'm gonna assume that the longer routes are the ones i do last... anyway, some confirmation would be cool (with no spoiling if possible!).
NoHitter
Similar concept but with a lot more requirements,
There are "locks" in the storyline of some parts. You can't proceed forward without finishing a previous ending/s.
And by endings, I mean A LOT. There are as many "required" endings as characters in the story.

I suggest you get the endings that obviously lead to bad ends first though. Finishing all of the character endings before the bad ends will make you less enthusiastic to complete the entire game.
happy30
you shouldn't worry about the route you are taking, you dont need to do any route twice and also you'll need all routes for the true ending
Topic Starter
YGOkid8
okay well i was playing before reading any of this, so by looking at the flowchart, i decided to go with what seemed to be the shortest route, choices as magenta, ally and ally but then oh wow the branch of the route grew :U and yeah confusing poo happened and i'm like wut.

obvious bad ends first, huh? so i guess i gotta betray to my heart's content? damn i'll feel like shit -_- but better soon than later.
happy30
well basically all routes have a 'real' ending and 1 or more game over endings It doesn't matter which to take first, but don't wait for those game over endings till the end of the game which might be boring to watch. I tried to finish the whole branch I started with before trying a new branch.

and yes, the flowchart doesn't tell you yet which route is short or long :P

actually the whole flowchart is kind of spoilery, I didn't look at it while I was playing, just only after I got an ending and needed to start at a new position
Mogsy
For those who have finished the main game, the Q&A with Uchikoshi is up here. No, really, do not click unless you have absolutely finished Virtue's Last Reward. Be prepared for answers trolling and mass butthurt

But yes. This game. Holy shit. Recently replayed some of the endings to refresh my memory, and while these games have been rather short/easy compared to other visual novels I've experienced, they're both some of the most well-written and well-executed ones I've ever experienced.
Topic Starter
YGOkid8
happy30, i'll keep that in mind.

and shit man, every time i choose betray and my opponent chooses ally, a part of me dies inside. this game is seriously bad for my poor conscience :( i'm going to emerge from this game a completely different man, i swear.

EDIT: as of this edit, i have done lun and dio bad end, and dio end. betraying still hurts, esp. when the other characters kick you down for it. i'm so very glad this flowchart exists, cause if it didn't...... brrr!

my impressions so far: i like how straight from the get-go, we see that Phi has some supernatural thingo that lets her pick information from other timelines. we went into 999 blind, and unaware of the morphogenetic field theory. however we're playing this game already aware of that, and we automatically make that connection to Phi. and that's pretty cool i think, the big plot twister from the first game is business as usual in the second. anyway i'm really looking forward to how this game turns out.

as a side note, that feeling i get when i figure out the puzzles on Hard mode after scratching my brainloaf to bits... and finding how to get to the gold files when i unintentionally get the escape password first... such small things are some of my greatest joys in this game so far :)

8 safe endings before the true one? oh boy...
adam2046
Just finished the true ending of 999.
I immediately went for door number 5 and door number 3 in my first playthrough because I wanted the number 9 bracelet (yes that was my immediate thought when number 9 blew up, and my god did it piss me off when Junpei looked at it and left it there) and I wanted to go through the door they specifically didn't want me to go through.
Got the rest of the bad endings before getting the safe and true ends.

...It wasn't as good as I thought it would be; the puzzles were piss easy (should really have been timed or had some element of danger to them and they basically handed you the answers for some), I didn't care about the characters enough, the "would you like to know some random facts about psuedoSCIENCE?!" writing style (it can work, just... not in the freezer please...) and skipping through the first parts/doing rooms you already solved was tedious. It was worth playing through for the twist though, and it was still fun/interesting to play through (and I think only one moment unintentionally made me laugh out loud).

I'll definitely buy the sequel at some point.
NoHitter

adam2046 wrote:

(and I think only one moment unintentionally made me laugh out loud).
Was this the elevator scene with Junpei and June?

adam2046 wrote:

Don't worry about the "skipping through the first parts/doing rooms you already solved" being tedious, the sequel has a new system that allows you to skip parts you've already done without having to go through all the text.
adam2046

NoHitter wrote:

adam2046 wrote:

(and I think only one moment unintentionally made me laugh out loud).
Was this the elevator scene with Junpei and June?
Unintentionally, as in a piece of dialogue that was so bad/poorly written that it made me laugh.
Topic Starter
YGOkid8

adam2046 wrote:

you'll be glad you did.

anyway, VLR. i've clocked 30 hours as of this post, and have done all character endings except for Luna, Quark and Phi (and true). during tenmyouji's route, all of the references and stuff pretty much told me who he really is.

and fuck me to fuck, i did not see it coming at all. i didn't even consider it.
i'm mindfucked as much as when i finished 999, and there's 3 character endings i haven't even done yet. -_-

see, it's stuff like this that's gold, because it's so very unexpected that when it's revealed, it's like your mind gets shot. and you're just stunned to fuck.

i am so very looking forward to the end now. i must know how this ends.

EDIT: okay i just finished VLR, and i'm confused as fuck. it was pretty cool until after they revealed who zero was, afterwards all my confusion got in the way of everything... while i was mindfucked after 999, here i'm just confused as fuck lol. i suppose i gotta check out those Q&A now.

like if someone who's finished the game can explain to me how exactly that flowchart diagram with jumping works? it was just so weirdly drawn, and i'm having trouble comprehending a lot of it.

EDIT: Q&A's are trololol. a trilogy huh? the 3rd game better close this up properly.
Mogsy
I expect the third game to be filled with pseudoscience and actually showing what the fuck happened with Aoi/Ace/Light. At least the game is sure to end properly, as Uchikoshi is not that dumb of a writer. That Q&A, though. Filled with so many laughs.
Topic Starter
YGOkid8
i think my favourite part in this game was when phi explains to Sigma Schrödinger's cat, and how it related to their situation, as well as the "decisions you make in the future influence the past" thing. Schrödinger's cat has always confused me, but this game explained it pretty well.

and i hope it does end properly. i recall reading in the Q&A somewhere that he liked leaving some ends up to reader interpretation? yeah i hope he doesn't do that (or at least, too much) in the 3rd game. proper complete closure is needed imo.

also as of now, VLR had its cool things, but i personally liked 999 more. a lot of the route endings in VLR are pretty anti-climatic, even in the "good" ends. like quark ending where alice is about to stab herself and they end it, and sigma seeing his left hand gone. like, i understand why, since a crisis situation forces their consciousness to jump, but i dunno, still didn't like it like that :/

compared to the endings in 999 - getting axed and knifed, endings here were pretty... lacking.
also, it's a pity the directors wanted VLR to be a lot less horror than the first game. there were rarely any times where i felt suspense, except for those moments when they're about to reveal something. first game i was in constant suspense, which i enjoyed.