forum

[Archived] osu! doesn't accept input for a few seconds

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
pielak213
Problem Details:
osu! stops accepting input for 2-6seconds at a time. Pressing f1 to open the mod selection screen doesn't work. Clicking doesn't even work on anything. It fixes itself a few seconds later though. It never does this during play. This started happening after the update when all the chat and pause sounds got added. It almost always happens in my multi lobbies. I think it also has to do with tabbing osu to the active window.

edit: oops typing into the chat works. Pressing enter doesn't work though.
edit2: This is 100% happening because osu thinks it's not the active window when it is. In the second video link, someone sent me a PM while my active window was osu so you shouldn't be able to hear the PM sound when your osu window is active. I did hear the sound though meaning that osu doesn't recognize it's the active window.

March 6 update: If I'm in song select, when I'm clicking, the difficulty bars will wiggle a little everytime I click. Having another window opening and clicking doesn't have this happen. So whatever state my osu is in while the bug is happening, every click will wiggle the difficulty bars. You can see the wiggling in video 1. I thought it was me cliicking too fast but it also wiggles when clicking with a mouse.

I've talked to a few people about this and it seems I'm the only one with the problem so maybe it's something wrong with my configuration. It's definitely not my imagination or shitty computer specs though. I don't know what causes the problem. I spent like 40 minutes today trying to find the cause but it only seems to happen when I don't want it to happen (aka when I'm not recording). Edit: welp. After finding out it's some sort of windows problem, the relevant information is: Windows 7, 1920x1080 borderless.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
video 1: https://u.pomf.is/kaxgtk.mp4
If it helps, I was alt tabbed. You can see me waiting a while trying to get the bug to happen. I then click osu so it's my active window then attempt to change the song multiple times. It doesn't work until osu starts accepting input again.

video 2: https://u.pomf.is/ceeysj.mp4

osu! version: 20160227.3 (latest)
I edited out my login stuff + highlights etc so don't panic (or rather I testing offline).
another edit: ^ I tried deleting my config file and still have this problem with all default settings.

The fallback version does not have this problem.
March 10 update: The bug is still happening. I don't have supporter to test cutting edge so I'll just hope the fix in is there. I've switched to the fallback version in the meantime.
April 3 update: The bug is still happening after the update. From what I understand, this was an emergency update to fix an exploit so I hope it's fixed in the next update. I recorded myself playing osu to see if the bug still happens and here it is. https://u.pomf.is/hxpmkf.mp4 (Again I'm changing back to fallback because this bug is really annoying)
April 30 update: Seems like it's fixed! Woo It's not 100% fixed. I recorded myself for 20 minutes and couldn't get it to happen. I probably won't get a video of it today. VIDEO HERE https://u.pomf.io/asxxmy.mp4
Here's a little info that might help. I was constantly having the problem in the March 10th's client. I only tried April 30th's client today. The bug is happening significantly less than before (like 10x less). Whatever changed between March 10th and April 30th, it helped.
Topic Starter
pielak213
Nathanael
Ok, moved back. I can't help you due to my circumstances so I hope others can have an idea at your issue.
TheVileOne
I'm not sure why that update in particular would affect anything. Active state is refreshed multiple times per second, so I'm at a loss on how there could be a delay.
Topic Starter
pielak213

TheVileOne wrote:

I'm not sure why that update in particular would affect anything. Active state is refreshed multiple times per second, so I'm at a loss on how there could be a delay.
I don't know how many updates there were between March 10 and April 30 but the latter update definitely helped. You can see in the latest video (0:23 - 0:26) that it was not refreshing correctly. The fps is a clear indicator of when it's not active because the fps drops to 30 when not active.
TicClick
First of all, it could be your tablet pen not clicking (because difficulty bars always wiggle when you move cursor over them); however, that doesn't explain focus loss. It could be also that something was stealing osu!'s focus so intensely that you could barely interrupt it.

On the other hand, it could be osu! itself. Your video reminds me of what was going for some time in the editor on beatmap upload: upload window was constantly losing focus until one had to explicitly focus it by clicking the window title.
Topic Starter
pielak213

TicClick wrote:

First of all, it could be your tablet pen not clicking (because difficulty bars always wiggle when you move cursor over them); however, that doesn't explain focus loss. It could be also that something was stealing osu!'s focus so intensely that you could barely interrupt it.

On the other hand, it could be osu! itself. Your video reminds me of what was going for some time in the editor on beatmap upload: upload window was constantly losing focus until one had to explicitly focus it by clicking the window title.
The problem doesn't happen on the fallback version at all. I've played on fallback for 1 1/2 months and I instantly notice this problem when switching to stable. It only happens every hour or so now so it's not as annoying. I don't know what separates my computer from other computers (because nobody I've talked to has this problem) but it's definitely not my tablet or anything because of fallback doesn't have this problem.

I've actually had this problem with the editor also. One of the most common things I do in song selection is f3 > edit > file > create new difficulty. After making a difficulty name and saving it, osu wouldn't respond to my clicks also. This doesn't happen anymore though. An update that happened in the last 2 months made this bug much less frequent. Before though, it used to happen everytime I did this. I think this was the reason that I switched to fallback.

TicClick wrote:

it could be your tablet pen not clicking (because difficulty bars always wiggle when you move cursor over them)
I don't know what's going on here. In the video, all the difficulty bars are shaking while I'm attempting to click. When I do this with another window open, it doesn't wiggle as much. I want to respond though and say that my tablet isn't unreliable enough for it to stop clicking randomly.