forum

Not using hand-switching in Taiko?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Samuraiwarm
So I've played Taiko for 3 months, and I getl the point that my progress is growing just constantly (d^2/dx^2 f(x) ~ 0) because of the goddamn speed of Armageddon. Until now I've been using the very unique playing pattern that is totally nonsense, but it works tho. XD

I'm right handed, and I can do the dkdkdk... or kdkdkd... or any sequences of 1/8 beats using right hand and I don't get tired, off the beat, or mistaken easily. For the 1/16 beat or faster, I combined this to some patterns. (I used default zxcv)

ddk -> xcv
dkd -> cvc
dkk -> cvz (not my fav)
kdd -> zxc or vxc (not my fav too)
kdk -> vcv
kkd -> zvc

I can survive all sequences with length of 3, 4 (except dkkd), some 5, and any repeating length of 3 and 4 (such as kkdkkdkkd...), but when it comes to any arbitrary and long chain, I can't even concentrate my eye and I was like "what the heck what what what stahp welp nvm ughh damn jesus". I can somehow know what the beats are, but I cannot convert into the pressing pattern in a banana split second. =__="

I tried breaking a longer chain into smaller one, but I ended up being stuck on a non-dominant hand like zx or xz, or even worse, I pause for a beat to think how to deal with the next sequence. For example,

kdkkddkddk I ended up doing kdkk errr what oh ok ddkddk.

So, what I wanna ask you guys is, which option should I choose?

A. I continue with this weird style of playing, but improve my left hand and practice on 1/8 beat and dkdkdk... or kdkdkd...
B. I start over from 1 by doing the hand-switching technique.

Well, I think I still need to practice my left hand anyway, right? Also I wonder if I need an ability to split the Armageddon's tail of the alternating sequence and let the right hand do the 1st,3rd,5th,7th,... beat, and left hand do the 2nd,4th,6th,8th,...

If you can, please explain why or why not. Thank you meow!

Edit: I can also survive the repeating 4 as well, like dkkkdkkkdkkk
dewero
What in the...

If you're planning on sticking with a kddk format, then learn hand switching, at least for streams/patterns. As you've already noticed, using the same hand for two notes in a pattern can get really confusing really quickly, and as the patterns get faster and more complex, you'll be hitting walls when trying to process the notes with this play style. Besides, you're not that high up in the rankings yet, so I'm sure that given enough time you should be able to catch back up.

If you really don't want to change your playstyle, however, there does exist the ddkk playstyle. Your keybinds will end up looking like zxcv. It seems like this would match your playstyle more closely. Give it a try and see how it goes.

EDIT: also move away from autoconverts ASAP
Topic Starter
Samuraiwarm
Oh well... In any solutions I need to change my whole patterns I've done before. But yeah that's not gonna waste my time to try both of these. I'll see the results. You're right though, I struggled with dk kk kd dd more than ddk dkd kkd etc. Thank you~

PS: what is "autoconverts" you just mentioned?
PSS: is my play style that weird? I kinda believe that no one in this world plays like me XD
dewero
Maps that were originally mapped for osu!standard can also be played under the taiko mode. Because they weren't designed to be played as a taiko beatmap (with a few exceptions), they generally play poorly compared to taiko-specific beatmaps. You'll gain a lot more if you stick to taiko-exclusive beatmaps.

Well, I don't know how weird your playstyle is, but I can't recall any top player that uses that type of playstyle. I dunno, I heard early on from somewhere that not hand switching was reeeealy bad, so I ended up forcing myself to full alternate ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I suppose that your playstyle also hampers accuracy in long streamy patterns as well, now that I think about it.

EDIT -.-: Take a look at https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/175867 to re-train yourself with basic patterns if you plan on switching playstyles
lolcubes
I think you mean 1/2 and 1/4 instead of 1/8 and 1/16 (as 1/2 are eighth notes and 1/4 are sixteenth notes).

Anyway,

Samuraiwarm wrote:

So, what I wanna ask you guys is, which option should I choose?

A. I continue with this weird style of playing, but improve my left hand and practice on 1/8 beat and dkdkdk... or kdkdkd...
B. I start over from 1 by doing the hand-switching technique.
Go with what's most fun for you, this is a game.
Developing weird playstyles doesn't mean they are bad, but they usually aren't as good in the long run. Some patterns are really really complicated if you just have one hand that's doing all the work though. Alternating everything has it's own problems too, so as long as you're having fun it's all okay.

Generally, it would be recommended to alternate everything, or at least the 1/4 or very fast 1/2 patterns, that's pretty much what most of the people are doing at least.

Reading longer patterns comes with time and experience, so until you master 3 and 5 note patterns that you can play all of them without even thinking about them, don't worry about longer patterns.

Also, as dewero mentioned, play taiko specific maps. They are the ones that will teach you how to play, not converted maps.
Topic Starter
Samuraiwarm
So I've tried the alternating on sequences of 3 and 4 from dewero's link, and it seems that I somehow switched back to what I used to do. (except ddd and kkk) Lawlwhut

I think I'll keep playing my experienced sequences (including repeating sequences) as is, but the rest of any other sequences I will practice the hand switching method.

lolcubes wrote:

I think you mean 1/2 and 1/4 instead of 1/8 and 1/16 (as 1/2 are eighth notes and 1/4 are sixteenth notes).
Yep that's what I thought.

lolcubes wrote:

Also, as dewero mentioned, play taiko specific maps. They are the ones that will teach you how to play, not converted maps.
I play both taiko specific and converted maps. Taiko is for practicing, but I got lots of pp from converted maps. XD

Thank you for all of your advice! ^__^

ps: How am I supposed to do with kddkddkdd..... with the hand-switching? Should I just do the zcxvxczcxvxc.... that feels really weird for me! XD
dewero
Urgh that pattern was tricky for me to learn. I just grinded that pattern by practicing it over and over, and I still mess it up if I'm not focused.

I used this beatmap to train this pattern: https://osu.ppy.sh/b/529129&m=1, and it's also good practice for 1/3 patterns in general. I played pretty much only phatweasul's oni, but the other oni's are good for more advanced practice.
Aldwych
play taiko specific maps. They are the ones that will teach you how to play, not converted maps.
Nope,
Both are goods.

Taiko specific helps you to better at this mod
Converted helps you to accurate and read high SV

How am I supposed to do with kddkddkdd..... with the hand-switching? Should I just do the zcxvxczcxvxc.... that feels really weird for me! XD
with azop style for me i use
azoazoazo etc..

Honestly i'm switching only when several d or k in a row appear, but i play mainly on my left hand (even dkdkdkdk stuff without hand switching) and i'm completly fine
Dusalty

Aldwych wrote:

Taiko specific helps you to better at this mod
Converted helps you to accurate and read high SV

with azop style for me i use
azoazoazo etc..

Honestly i'm switching only when several d or k in a row appear, but i play mainly on my left hand (even dkdkdkdk stuff without hand switching) and i'm completly fine
I pretty much agree with this.

Personally I use vbnm using mainly my right hand and use left hand to hit objects I don't have time to hit with my right hand.

Samuraiwarm wrote:

How am I supposed to do with kddkddkdd..... with the hand-switching? Should I just do the zcxvxczcxvxc.... that feels really weird for me! XD
I think you should use vcxvcxvcx.

dewero wrote:

Well, I don't know how weird your playstyle is, but I can't recall any top player that uses that type of playstyle.
If I'm not completely mistaken midnaait uses similar playstyle.

dewero wrote:

I suppose that your playstyle also hampers accuracy in long streamy patterns as well, now that I think about it.
It doesn't when you get really used to it.
lolcubes

Samuraiwarm wrote:

Should I just do the zcxvxczcxvxc.... that feels really weird for me! XD
Personally I would recommend this. It took me a while before I learned to do it that way but it paid off, as when faster maps come I don't have to think how to hit them, it just comes to me automatically.
Topic Starter
Samuraiwarm
Now my first problem is, I cannot coordinate my both hands to play the rhythm equally. From left hand to right hand became faster than from right to left, and it somehow became that I press both hands at the same time. =__="

loe4boe wrote:

dewero wrote:

Well, I don't know how weird your playstyle is, but I can't recall any top player that uses that type of playstyle.
If I'm not completely mistaken midnaait uses similar playstyle.
I just checked midnaait's replay on Nyannyannyannyan (DT) and I only notice that midnaait didn't use the hand switching only if the speed of beat is 1/2 (the original song is 1 beat but with DT it became 1/2).

lolcubes wrote:

Samuraiwarm wrote:

Should I just do the zcxvxczcxvxc.... that feels really weird for me! XD
Personally I would recommend this. It took me a while before I learned to do it that way but it paid off, as when faster maps come I don't have to think how to hit them, it just comes to me automatically.
So that means regardless of patterns that comes to you, you will only do the hand switching. Is that right...?
Aldwych
I also advise you to look on the map SENTIVE - The end of a century, the insane one containes a lot of kddkddkddkddk... stuff, that might help you to train it and maybe watch top 50 on how they use to pass it on NM and DT.

The last advice i'll tell you is try and try again with a playstyle, you know this kind of pattern is more on hard maps (moreover on longer patters), i rarelly use this kind on maps that can rise you.

Mayse you'll need pratice more ang gain some skill. Right now i've to keep practicing a little bit to master it but welp, all comes by practicing heh.
lolcubes

Samuraiwarm wrote:

So that means regardless of patterns that comes to you, you will only do the hand switching. Is that right...?
For me, yes, as I fully alternate everything. But that's my playstyle.
roufou
tbh ignore any post that contradicts this post (nah just kidding but I'd trust me if I were you if that means anything)

your playstyle is doghorse, tbh. I'm not saying it requires more skill to use than other playstyles, in fact it would be pretty much equal to mine.

anyways my playstyle is basically using my right hand pretty much exclusively and having the left hand as a back-up (basically ddk would be cxv for you). This playstyle is very simple and easy to learn but has drawbacks, and the main drawback of this playstyle is in fact dkdkdkdkd patterns...now consider the fact that I do dkd exactly the same way you do.

In other words I think personally that the way you play accomplishes pretty much nothing. It isn't worse than my playstyle per se, but I think everyone would agree that my playstyle is a lot easier to learn and less confusing too.

You might not like me saying the playstyle I think actually has an advantage over ours (except for this one being also a bit harder to learn), but I'd recommend most people to use for example left hand as their dominant don hand and right hand as their dominant kat hand, or vice versa. Basically you play dkdkdkd as xvxvxvx or czczczc.

also lastly if you want to stick to your playstyle, that is fine. It essentially isn't more crippling than mine but I'd imagine it'd be harder to learn and it doesn't achieve much (imo)

YOUR PLAYSTYLE ISN'T BAD YOUR PLAYSTYLE ISN'T BAD YOUR PLAYSTYLE ISN'T BAD
I editted this at the end of my post because you shouldn't feel inclined to change playstyle, your playstyle is fine, a lot of people play with equally demanding playstyles, yours is just harder to learn for no reason (imo).
Topic Starter
Samuraiwarm

Aldwych wrote:

Mayse you'll need pratice more ang gain some skill. Right now i've to keep practicing a little bit to master it but welp, all comes by practicing heh..
I think I can recall myself since I first played Taiko. I kinda played the same beatmap for like at least 50 times and then I mastered the 3 keys. 2 months later I played Run Run Bodywash (Oni) for at least 300 times until I get an S. This is how I kinda learn Taiko. XD

agu wrote:

your playstyle is doghorse, tbh.
Lawl what is doghorse?

agu wrote:

you shouldn't feel inclined to change play style.
Well, my play style doesn't really work on beatmaps with > 3~3.5 stars, so I should just change to hand switching.
roufou
doghorse means just what it looks like, random and nonsensical. (among other stuff)

also your playstyle should work on any map I am able to do, tbh. Just way more confusing to do in practise.