forum

Looking at cursor vs not looking at cursor (muscle memory?)

posted
Total Posts

Aim

Rely on seeing cursor
11.43%
Rely on muscle memory
29.29%
Depending on map/how i feel or something else
14.29%
Both
30.00%
Rely on identifying as an attack helicopter
15.00%
Total votes: 140
show more
-Makishima S-
Both, controlling cursor and rely on muscle memory in big jumps.
Yuudachi-kun
I don't really look at the cursor unless I'm really trying to focus.
Yolshka
It's not listed but I look at the center of the next circle I'm about to hit.This may or may not be a good idea , I don't have problems with it so far.
Other than than i voted for 'depending on how I feel like'
I Give Up
Since most players use mouse I imagine most players track cursor visually to correct mouse drift. Tablet players may track their cursor kinesthetically as there is no drift. This isnt persistent though, so mouse players could be like 60-80% visual and 20-40% kinesthetic or something, and vise versa for tablet.

Visually tracking cursor does not mean looking directly at cursor but keeping it within primary vision or peripheral fields.
Yuudachi-kun

KukiMonster wrote:

Visually tracking cursor does not mean looking directly at cursor but keeping it within primary vision or peripheral fields.
If this is the case then isn't this true 100% of the time you play?
chainpullz
Idk, I don't really pay attention to my cursor much and I can do some pretty spooky stuff with it. You don't really get the luxury of being able to stare at your cursor when you play HDHR.
N0thingSpecial
Personally if it is cross screen jumps it's all yolo muscle memory (at least for mouse)
I sexually Identify as an Attack Helicopter. Ever since I was a boy I dreamed of soaring over the oilfields dropping hot sticky loads on disgusting foreigners. People say to me that a person being a helicopter is Impossible and I’m fucking retarded but I don’t care, I’m beautiful. I’m having a plastic surgeon install rotary blades, 30 mm cannons and AMG-114 Hellfire missiles on my body. From now on I want you guys to call me “Apache” and respect my right to kill from above and kill needlessly
I Give Up
I just said its not persistent. Just because its in this fields does not mean youre not using any muscle memory.
Rio-
Depends I guess....

If there's a map with a specific pattern of jumps. I usually see the middle screen of my monitor or the middle area of the pattern instead of focusing to the cursor. But if I need to aim-focus like in some older maps, I usually focus more to the cursor.
N0thingSpecial

KukiMonster wrote:

I just said its not persistent. Just because its in this fields does not mean youre not using any muscle memory.
k fine it's mostly yolo muscle memory, the way I do it is that I look at 1 reference point in that section of jumps and then just let my hand do the magic, sometimes my cursor would be on that reference point aka "looking at my cursor".
I Give Up
My reply was response to khelly, I am using laggy phone and quote button did not work properly lol.
TakuMii
I think that being able to track the cursor by eye is something that practically relies on having a low latency display. I aim by watching my cursor (for the most part), and I feel as if I'm playing with an invisible cursor whenever I switch to a 60Hz LCD. But muscle memory definitely helps with snapping and aim consistency (both of which I lack).
KanoSet
i'm usually aware of my cursor aka visually traking it most of the time
but when there is a rly fast jumps or scren-wide jumps i can't rly track my cursor and just relay on my muscles memory
Topic Starter
dung eater
Obviously everyone has awareness of their cursor and some kind of mental image to depend on when senses can't keep up. Better wording for the poll would be to ask which strategy do you feel you rely more on. In other words, when your aim fails, do you usually put blame on not being able to observe cursor properly or having a flawed mental umace of what you were doing? Failing because od physically too hard to hit jumps doesn' count for either.

I'm gonna be riding busses/trains all day. Good to see people replying.
Kert
I try to observe the whole playfield at once to see new objects (I have invisible followpoints) and I look at the objects after the current one most of the time. Also I force myself to stay at the current object by using long but tiny cursortrail.
I never rely on muscle memory. Though it helps on its own sometimes.
Endie-
I don't look at the cursor, but I try to be aware of where the cursor is at all times. I also rely heavily on muscle memory. So both, really.
Deva
I look at the cursor all the time when playing easier stuff and go full yolo for hard stuff
iderekmc
i look at the pen ! ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
winber1

iderekmc wrote:

i look at the pen ! ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
no wonder you haven't been improving
ZenithPhantasm
I dont look at my cursor because its hard to see because its too small
kurodahatsuharu
i look at the next circle when it hard to read and look at the center of the screen when circles jump quickly but the beat is stable. My aim it take some affect because i'm not focus on the circle, sometime i miss on a very easy jump, but i think it get better. I'm actually play better when maps focus on fast jump and stream with stable beat more than slow and hard to read map.
AbsurdDive
depends on my mood (or so it seems like it)

on occasions I snap as an attack helicopter..and sometimes i focus my eyes in the center of a pattern

the muscle memory is a must for me... I went back to full-screen and my muscle memory came back (my snapping was awful in windowed mode)

;_;
TMiracle
I never look at the cursor, only at next 3 approaching notes
I use tablet for both osu and work though, so knowing tablet area is kinda natural at this point.
Saphirshroom
I don't look at my cursor, but my aim is horrible on any jumps, so maybe I should.
Sayorie
I used to look at the cursor before, but I was shit at jumps, so I started reading the circles and just put a cursor trail on my skin.

Cursor trails kinda help me visualize my cursor movement even in my peripheral vision, so I don't have to look at the cursor anymore.
Deva
For last few days i have been observing what am i actually doing and came to a conclusion that im actually looking out the window...
DeathHydra

HK_ wrote:

For last few days i have been observing what am i actually doing and came to a conclusion that im actually looking out the window...
dafaq lol

OT : I rely more on muscle memory.
Oatmeal
i only look at cursor when i am doing far jumps
ZenithPhantasm
What if we can barely see the cursor?