forum

[Archived] Joystick axis position over/underflow

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
MarcusD_old
Problem Details:

The joystick device I'm using has a movement zone around approximately -3456 - 36352 on both axes.
My problem is if that it goes below 0, or goes above 32767 (weird half-short), then osu! thinks that I'm pressing the axis in the opposite direction (tested in gameplay and at the settings screen, both are affected).
I don't know how osu! gets the input from the device, but this problem only happens with osu!, so I posted here.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

(Can't record it, 'cause my potato toaster is too weak)

osu! version: b20160221cuttingedge (both stable, and recent versions are affected)
Blaizer
I'm not sure what you mean by "pressing the axis in the opposite direction". Does that mean if you press the axis in one direction it triggers both directions?

osu! doesn't deal with the raw "short" numbers that you mention. It turns things into a range from -1 to 1. It then detects the default "zone" as either -1, 0, or 1, depending on what state the axis was in when the game started. So either the range is wrong for you, or the default zone is wrong.
Topic Starter
MarcusD_old
I mean, if I press the joystick to the left, and the position of the axis goes below 0, it behaves as I were pushing the joystick to the right instead of the left. The same happens the other way around. If I push the joystick to the right, and the axis goes above 32767, it behaves as I were pushing the joystick to the left instead of the right.

I have recallibrated the joystick a gajillion times, and this problem is still present.

I have just tested the stable fallback version, and there it detects the axis perfectly, but I have to have the axis pressed all the way for osu! to recognize that I'm holding the axis in that direction, whis is hard to do on this controller.