forum

Blinking hard habit/tic when playing Osu

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Jack9233
Hey first of all I know there's a thread about habits when playing Osu but I'm just gonna see if I can get any additional ideas/help from people who may have experienced the same sort of problem.

So for the past 2 weeks I've developed a tic/habit of blinking/scrunching my eye/right side of my face but it's only when playing Osu or even watching/thinking about Osu.

I tried to take a break from Osu thinking it might help but it's not that simple when it's only associated with Osu as when I think about it I think about the habit etc.

I can still see my self improving a lot at Osu but it's stopping me from actually gaining any PP as I'll always think about it and eventually lose any combo I have, right now I feel there are so many songs I can full combo with ease but it's stopping me.

I've had habits in the past and they've always gone away after a few months but that's a long time and I don't feel any of my previous ones have been associated with a game like this one.

So if anyone's got any sort of advice/tips it would be appreciated :)

Thanks
Jack
Mahogany

/thread
winber1
the more you think about it, the more you will be affected by it, and the better you get, the less time it takes to know when to press the button i.e. the less blinking will affect you.

but that's just the lay man's way of saying

100 pushups
100 situps
100 squats
and a 10km run
everyday
don't use AC and always save money
for 2 years straight
Sayorie
I have that too.
That's probably OCD or a mental thing.
What I do is I just play again and again.
I Give Up
Don't think. Move cursor. Push button. Believe.
chainpullz

winber1 wrote:

100 pushups
100 situps
100 squats
and a 10km run
everyday
for 2 years straight
But I don't want to go bald!
deletemyaccount

winber1 wrote:

the more you think about it, the more you will be affected by it, and the better you get, the less time it takes to know when to press the button i.e. the less blinking will affect you.

but that's just the lay man's way of saying

100 pushups
100 situps
100 squats
and a 10km run
everyday
for 2 years straight
also this happens to me when I have eye strain, maybe take a break for a few minutes at things far away.

There might also be the mental barrier (as has been kindly pointed out previously) of being more tense when you have higher combos etc. The only real solution to this is to do what winber has said, which I am going to assume is a metaphor for play more.
ZenithPhantasm

chainpullz wrote:

winber1 wrote:

100 pushups
100 situps
100 squats
and a 10km run
everyday
for 2 years straight
But I don't want to go bald!
You're going to go bald anyways
Jiroski_old
Don't think about it.

Enjoy the music.

Enjoy yourself playing.

Just. Don't. Think. About. It.
Topic Starter
Jack9233

Jiroski wrote:

Don't think about it.

Enjoy the music.

Enjoy yourself playing.

Just. Don't. Think. About. It.
Easier said than done
Ohrami
I have Tourette's syndrome so it's probably more severe for me. The way I cope is by simply trying to push the thoughts of doing tics out of my mind. Yes it's difficult, but you're not going to do anything good while you're scrunching your eyes like some sort of Japanese. You can develop the willpower to stop this, as I have.

Tics are generally easier to control while you're focusing hard on something, but the urge to do them is still there. It's all in your willpower to suppress them. There really is no "trick" to it.

My brother has Tourette's as well and insists that marijuana usage stops all of his tics and urges to do them completely. I can't share his experience as I've never done it, but it might be worth looking into.
Topic Starter
Jack9233

Ohrami wrote:

I have Tourette's syndrome so it's probably more severe for me. The way I cope is by simply trying to push the thoughts of doing tics out of my mind. Yes it's difficult, but you're not going to do anything good while you're scrunching your eyes like some sort of Japanese. You can develop the willpower to stop this, as I have.

Tics are generally easier to control while you're focusing hard on something, but the urge to do them is still there. It's all in your willpower to suppress them. There really is no "trick" to it.

My brother has Tourette's as well and insists that marijuana usage stops all of his tics and urges to do them completely. I can't share his experience as I've never done it, but it might be worth looking into.
Thanks for the serious answer :) I've had various little tics/habits in the past such as hitting my shift key with my pinky really hard just because I couldn't help it as well as doing the same to my left click every now and then for no reason to the point where I broke the left click button straight off a 6month old mouse. but none of these really had any effect on what I was doing/playing it just sucks that I had to develop an eye tic when I've only been playing Osu for a few months and I enjoy playing it fairly often.

I could probably see Marijuana helping but I'm not one who's willing to try it. I've never so much as puffed a cigarette or touched anything remotely harmful to my body even though I'm constantly surrounded by people who smoke and enjoy the occasional use of Marijuana. I might book into booking an appointment with my doctor to see if he has any ideas. There's also some exercises I've seen that might help hydrate the eye more but I'm pretty positive that isn't the problem it's just an urge which I can't help >.<
Ohrami
You might have some sort of tic disorder or OCD. Believe me, almost any tic you could describe, I have or have had it in some way, including all the ones you mentioned in your posts. There's no real trick to dealing with it; you just have you use your willpower to try your best to make it go away.

I doubt it has anything to do with the moisture of your eyes. It sounds like you are experiencing a tic, exactly as you would with Tourette's syndrome.

If you take any form of dopamine agonist or dopamine reuptake inhibitors then that could actually cause tics or make them more severe. If you're on prescription medicine like Adderall or Ritalin, I would strongly recommend getting off of those medicines.
Topic Starter
Jack9233

Ohrami wrote:

You might have some sort of tic disorder or OCD. Believe me, almost any tic you could describe, I have or have had it in some way, including all the ones you mentioned in your posts. There's no real trick to dealing with it; you just have you use your willpower to try your best to make it go away.

I doubt it has anything to do with the moisture of your eyes. It sounds like you are experiencing a tic, exactly as you would with Tourette's syndrome.

If you take any form of dopamine agonist or dopamine reuptake inhibitors then that could actually cause tics or make them more severe. If you're on prescription medicine like Adderall or Ritalin, I would strongly recommend getting off of those medicines.
Not on any sort of medicines or anything just gym related stuff, but yeah I'll book an appointment with my doctor to see if it is anything like that would be nice to know at least. Worst case scenario is it doesn't stop in that case it's just going to just turn into a game of willpower but I'm hoping it'll stop in a few weeks/months like the others.
Sayorie
It's a game of willpower for the rest of your life, maybe too.
Topic Starter
Jack9233

Arthraxium wrote:

It's a game of willpower for the rest of your life, maybe too.
Kill me now ;-;
Sayorie
Hey, don't. Trust me.

I have OCD too. Just remember that the better you become at the game, the better you can mitigate the errors caused by your tics.
Yuudachi-kun
Ticclick destroyer of dreams
Topic Starter
Jack9233
tfw willpower isn't enough
B1rd
You just have to use brute force and willpower. Try not to give in and go longer and longer periods without doing it.
Deva
Stop blinking.
Topic Starter
Jack9233
;-;
repr1se

Jack9233 wrote:

So for the past 2 weeks I've developed a tic/habit of blinking/scrunching my eye/right side of my face but it's only when playing Osu or even watching/thinking about Osu.

I tried to take a break from Osu thinking it might help but it's not that simple when it's only associated with Osu as when I think about it I think about the habit etc.
Like other users have posted, don't think about it. It'll leave after a while. You're still at a point where learning the fundamentals is necessary, so focus on that rather than your habit.