1. osu! forums
  2. osu!
  3. Gameplay & Rankings

posted
Hey guys!

I've been using claw grip my entire life, but after doing some researches and asked people they say that palm grip is better than claw grip.
They also have some advantages and disadvantages:

Advantages of the palm grip: the user is able to move the mouse at higher speeds, and achieve higher Inches Per Second (IPS) ratings. The palm grip is also considered one of the most comfortable grip styles for gaming where the gamer is able to continue playing for extended hours without experiencing fatigue.
Disadvantages of the palm grip: in order to keep the point of contact with their palm and the back of the mouse intact, users will find it difficult to perform fine tuning with their fingers.

Advantages of the claw grip: Precise and quick movement, fast access to the 4th and 5th mouse button.
Disadvantages of the claw grip: Does not feel natural, your hand gets tired faster.

The disadvantage of claw grip is true, my hands get tired fast, I also realized all mouse players use the palm grip... So I decided to switch to palm grip, I obviously played bad since it was like my first time using this grip technique, but Is it worth the switch? If so, How much will it benefit me?

Claw Grip VS. Palm Grip
Which one is better?
posted
I don't play with the mouse but I instinctively have always used the claw grip ever since I have first used mice, and the palm grip feels totally unnatural to me. I know this probably doesn't help but I just wanted to say that the claw grip isn't always unnatural compared to the palm grip.
posted

Lambykinz wrote:

I don't play with the mouse but I instinctively have always used the claw grip ever since I have first used mice, and the palm grip feels totally unnatural to me. I know this probably doesn't help but I just wanted to say that the claw grip isn't always unnatural compared to the palm grip.
Same here, I'm not used to palm grip and it feels unnatural for me, but my question is which one is better for aiming and comfort.
posted
Does anyone use finger tip grip?
posted

N0thingSpecial wrote:

Does anyone use finger tip grip?
I use between claw and fingertip grip. But most of the time I use finger tip grip.
posted

ReisisVI wrote:

Lambykinz wrote:

I don't play with the mouse but I instinctively have always used the claw grip ever since I have first used mice, and the palm grip feels totally unnatural to me. I know this probably doesn't help but I just wanted to say that the claw grip isn't always unnatural compared to the palm grip.
Same here, I'm not used to palm grip and it feels unnatural for me, but my question is which one is better for aiming and comfort.
Well for comfort claw grip definitely wins for both of us, since the palm grip just feel weird. However, for aiming I would have to say palm grip would be better, since you can move the mouse a lot faster. I know that's not really aiming related but, I mean, I can't imagine using my claw grip for jumpy maps. Palm grip would work much better for that I think.
posted
Actually mouse grip depends on the mouse type too. Some grips work better with a certain mouse.

I suggest just use whatever that feels comfortable to you. You won't perform very good if the grip is uncomfortable
posted

DeathAdderz wrote:

Actually mouse grip depends on the mouse type too. Some grips work better with a certain mouse.

I suggest just use whatever that feels comfortable to you. You won't perform very good if the grip is uncomfortable
I have Logitech G402 which is comfortable for palm grip, but somehow feels weird for me, perhaps first time using this grip technique?
Basically I decided to stick with the palm grip, do you think I will get better by time?
posted

ReisisVI wrote:

I have Logitech G402 which is comfortable for palm grip, but somehow feels weird for me, perhaps first time using this grip technique?
Basically I decided to stick with the palm grip, do you think I will get better by time?
Don't force a certain grip, just use whatever feels comfortable.
posted
fingertip doesnt feel unnatural or tiring for me. i dont know about claw grip though
posted
Depends on mouse shape and hand size. Each mouse would be wielded differently and there is one mouse shape that works best for each person. Personally I prefer claw, but palm grip is definitely most stable for mouse clicking. I grew up on fingertip and not many players use it at high level mouse play coz of fatigue so I switched to claw. Palm mouse too clunky for me.
posted
If I use palm grip then I can't reach notes that are near the top and bottom of the screen. So I use a mix of palm and fingertip grip instead. Fingertip grip (and claw grip too I would assume) works pretty nicely with a small mouse.
posted

N0thingSpecial wrote:

Does anyone use finger tip grip?
Me. It maximizes APM 8-)
posted
kinda depends on mouse size too since some mice just don't make sense to palm grip as they are too small, and some mice don't make too much sense for claw gripping as they are enormous compared to your hand. it also calls into question how big your hand is B-)
posted
claw grip user here.
I started out as a palm grip player, but have moved towards the claw grip since it gave me more control over my movements. Fingertip grip seems kind of dumb to me in a game like osu!, and palm grip reduced my control. Just my personal experience though.
Experiment with the different types and see what you like the most.
posted
Who told you palm grip is better?
Claw grip is better than palm grip but it require more stamina
posted
My grip is a failed claw grip. My middle finger is placed on the mousewheel instead of going further right to follow the standard form.

Have yet to try large high dpi mice though since I prefer small ones despite a large hand, palm gripping those would be a new experience.
Please sign in to reply.