forum

How many people are actually active in osu?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kitsunex
A friend of mine wants to compare "rankings" for osu and another game he plays, but the main page of osu says we now have a bit more than 7.7 million players. However everyone knows that not all of them are active, so if anyone here could do the math and approximate the amount of alive competitors, I would appreciate that
Hika
a lot of them

tbh, aren't there any official demographics up yet?
Mvsk
I would estimate at least 50,000 players a day minimum 200k max.

Just because Osu has 7.8 millions users signed up (you round up above 5) doesn't mean that many active. Hell, even if 2 million were active you would see much higher fluctuations in your own rank then we see now. It took 1 year of inactivity for my 80-90k rank to fall to 125~140ish. I'm sure lots of people quit before getting very far. You have to remember that there are a lot of people out there who are just not into quote "anime music" end quote. Out of everyone i know I'm the only one who plays Osu the others quit within the first week. Anyway.

50,000 minimum 200k max.
a decent chunk of this is new users joining while other new users are quitting.
Define active. Do you mean daily players, weekly / weekend players or...
Mahogany
Like 5 people
Yuudachi-kun
100,000 is my rule of thumb. If they're below that they don't count.
TakuMii
I'm pretty sure the most recent official numbers claim to have over 1 million active players per month.
mokyu
󠀡
Yuudachi-kun

YayMii wrote:

I'm pretty sure the most recent official numbers claim to have over 1 million active players per month.

Active = one 10,000 score play per 3 months
Railey2
There are about 15k people playing the game at any second (on average). If you assume that the average playtime is about 2 hours, that would mean 180,000 individual people playing the game every day (can I calculate the number this way? I don't know, someone please tell me). In a week its probably 2 to 3 times as many. Maybe 500k in total? This is across all gamemodes though.