forum

You know what's interesting

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
Mvsk

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

watching people play can help you warm up to a certain ar that you already know though, 9.67 feels like 9 to me after watching enough 10.3
Yes! You get it :D

It's hilarious because Mahogoney is the one who created the false statement of learning a new AR from watching videos in the first place LOL the assumptious troll no wonder he got banned from forums recently.

Mahogany wrote:

Lol you won't learn to read an AR by watching someone play an AR

I can watch people play EZ or play HRDT and follow what they're doing completely fine but if I try to actually play it I fall apart because while my brain can comprehend what is going on, the added obstacle of trying to convert the visual information being conveyed into a motor function means I'm completely unable to keep up because now I have far more things to keep track of and pay attention to.

Watching videos of other people playing osu will not help you improve.
"I cannot do it therefore nobody can do it!" - M.hog.

Even though I have improved from watching videos before hand (Went from playing 2.5-3 star star maps before break to playing up to 4.65 star maps upon returning) And you xxjesus1412fanx have also improved from pre game warm up videos there must be NO way that we could have improved since Mhog isn't capable of learning this way :roll: kekeke we must be from alternate dimensions illuminati confirmed :lol:
Saphirshroom
Holy salt.

There's a big difference between warming up and getting better. You can maybe warm up by videos, but you won't get better by any significant margin. Watching videos to improve is a joke. You don't even improve significantly playing Relax because you're playing like a third of the game at best. You won't get better watching videos. You can "warm up" with it. That's it though.
Mahogany
There's literally nothing you can learn from watching an osu! gameplay video. Any perceived improvement is guaranteed to be a placebo.

Think about it this way: How am I going to improve my streaming by watching someone play Blue Zenith? How am I going to improve my aim by watching someone play Airman? I can't.

In some games, you can learn strategies and positioning by watching other players. osu! has none of these. It's purely an aim game.

Mvsk wrote:

I was making a statement as to how the brain works, not a statement as to my own abilities. Not that you'd know much of how brains work, you're acting like a child. Stop being so salty just because I disagree with you.

Saphirshroom wrote:

There's a big difference between warming up and getting better. You can maybe warm up by videos, but you won't get better by any significant margin. Watching videos to improve is a joke. You don't even improve significantly playing Relax because you're playing like a third of the game at best. You won't get better watching videos. You can "warm up" with it. That's it though.

Mvsk wrote:

Even though I have improved from watching videos before hand (Went from playing 2.5-3 star star maps before break to playing up to 4.65 star maps upon returning)
Also: You're shit, and a liar. Your top rank is a 3 star map.
silento
For the original topic, no I don't think so. Osu (start of a sentence, deal with the capitalization) is literally just aim with streams and some rhythm. I've played violin and piano a long time and there are a lot of little intricacies that make learning an instrument harder such as controlling your volume and things like vibrato for violin and moving your hands around to switch octaves for example. Let's not forget music theory, which doesn't apply to osu at all except for the rhythm parts. You can't account for pitch in osu aim, for example.

So no, I disagree with your main point OP. There are a lot of different nuances that make instruments... well different to learn. I don't necessarily think it's harder, just different.
N0thingSpecial
I always find it funny when people use the argument "he's wrong therefore I'm right", then proceed to throw personal insults and shatter his own credibility
Vuelo Eluko
its not about improvement tho maho, take an ar you can already read well but while completely fresh i.e 0 plays for the day it feels quite fast, you can go into it at play 1 with it feeling normal speed by watching higher ar gameplay first

also mvsk pls dont billy my friend
Yuudachi-kun
Sometimes ar 9 feels faster than 10.3

after lots of ar 6-7 :o
DeathHydra
I've watched Cookiezi, WWW, Doomsday, HappyStick, and other pro players for many times yet I'm still bad. You won't improve at this game by watching many videos. This game is different to strategy games like DotA 2. I've watched many DotA 2 tournaments videos and I feel improvement in that game (like fog of war, etc)
Mahogany

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

its not about improvement tho maho
That's exactly what I was saying
Sayorie
>suck at streams
>watch cookie-sama blue zenith hr
>do same with 5* version
>rip streams
>uninstall osu!

nah, watching videos doesn't make me improve
but it does make me install my osu! again
DENKOUSEKKA

Arthraxium wrote:

nah, watching videos doesn't make me improve
but it does make me install my osu! again
^^^^
Lambykinz
I watch high level players purely for entertainment purposes. I would agree that you can't really learn to get better by watching high level players in osu!

For the OP, I would say that they are very similar since the only way to get better at either of those things (playing an instrument and playing osu!) is simply to Play More™.
Topic Starter
Mvsk

Mvsk wrote:

It would seem that you're at a rank that has a significantly higher skill cap. Do you watch any Osu gameplay videos when returning from your break? It could help... I watch Doomsday, Xilver, cookiez and others to sort of... pre calibrate after breaks. Getting your eyes use to their gameplay before hand can help with your own.
Don't know what's so hard about reading.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Topic Starter
Mvsk

Mahogany wrote:

There's literally nothing you can learn from watching an osu! gameplay video. Any perceived improvement is guaranteed to be a placebo.

Think about it this way: How am I going to improve my streaming by watching someone play Blue Zenith? How am I going to improve my aim by watching someone play Airman? I can't.

In some games, you can learn strategies and positioning by watching other players. osu! has none of these. It's purely an aim game.

Mvsk wrote:

I was making a statement as to how the brain works, not a statement as to my own abilities. Not that you'd know much of how brains work, you're acting like a child. Stop being so salty just because I disagree with you.

Saphirshroom wrote:

Mvsk wrote:

Even though I have improved from watching videos before hand (Went from playing 2.5-3 star star maps before break to playing up to 4.65 star maps upon returning)
Also: You're shit, and a liar. Your top rank is a 3 star map.
Wrong again troll your exact words were "there's literally nothing you can glean from watching pro osu players."
When you have been gone from osu for soooo long your eyes are not going to be use to the speed required to play. Your muscles will however retain muscle memory. If you jump in it will take a while to adjust. If you watch videos then play your eyes will already be adjusted. Seeing as how this is FACT and in accordance with my original statement that you twisted around for this feeble minded audience you are wrong.

Also i never said my top rank was a 4.5 star map i said i can now beat 4.5 star maps. Doesn't mean that i can FC on my first day of beating them. Some of which are in my top ranks section. You're the liar here trying to misdirect at every turn. You must live a pretty sad life. Does your ponies keep you warm at night fascina. Saaaad. I pity you. You should go back to school and learn to read instead of playing Osu all the time. :lol:
Mahogany

Mvsk wrote:

Wrong again troll your exact words were "there's literally nothing you can glean from watching pro osu players."
And that's true. Just watching a pro!osu player play the game won't help you learn anything.

Mvsk wrote:

When you have been gone from osu for soooo long your eyes are not going to be use to the speed required to play. Your muscles will however retain muscle memory. If you jump in it will take a while to adjust. If you watch videos then play your eyes will already be adjusted.
Are you illiterate

I've never said anything against warming up. Your entire paragraph is redundant. While I'm doubtful, I've never claimed videos can't help you warm up. But warming up means getting back to your normal standards. It doesn't mean you're improving in any way. If you're going to type something, type something that needs to be said.

I'll say it again, because god knows I'll need to. Warming up is not improving. You aren't learning anything, you're not getting better in any way. You're just returning to your normal standard of play.

Mvsk wrote:

Also i never said my top rank was a 4.5 star map i said i can complete 4.5 star maps which is clearly visible in my top ranks section.
Skill in osu! isn't measured by what maps you can clear, it's measured by what maps you can FC. You were stating you could play 4.5* maps, attempting to pass it off as your skill level and brag about your abilities, when really, your skill bracket is 3*. You never "said" your top rank was 4.5*, but you attempted to imply that was your ability, and I proved it false, else you would have 4.5* map FCs at the top of your Top Plays. I can pass airman, airman is 7 stars, I'm cookiezi, right? Cookiezi plays 7* maps. I play that 7* map. I'm cookiezi.

Mvsk wrote:

Jumping skill brackets is impressive
The only thing impressive here is the amount of salt you're spewing. You've managed to spout two entire paragraphs of completely redundant, irrelevant and inane statements, whilst making petty personal attacks on me for god knows what reason. That's just about the only thing impressive here (Aside from the amount of patience I'm displaying trying to politely explain this concept to you)
Yuudachi-kun
I like Mvsk's avatar but I don't like him.

I'm at a conundrum.
Mahogany
Accuse him of 'stealing' the avatar from someone else who used it and start a big internet fight
Yuudachi-kun
You can't fucking steal avatars and to claim so is retarded

That's why you put your name in your avatar so if someone uses it, it looks dumb.
Topic Starter
Mvsk

Mahogany wrote:

Mvsk wrote:

And that's true. Just watching a pro!osu player play the game won't help you learn anything.

Mvsk wrote:

When you have been gone from osu for soooo long your eyes are not going to be use to the speed required to play. Your muscles will however retain muscle memory. If you jump in it will take a while to adjust. If you watch videos then play your eyes will already be adjusted.
Are you illiterate

I've never said anything against warming up. Your entire paragraph is redundant. While I'm doubtful, I've never claimed videos can't help you warm up. But warming up means getting back to your normal standards. It doesn't mean you're improving in any way. If you're going to type something, type something that needs to be said.

I'll say it again, because god knows I'll need to. Warming up is not improving. You aren't learning anything, you're not getting better in any way. You're just returning to your normal standard of play.

Mvsk wrote:

Also i never said my top rank was a 4.5 star map i said i can complete 4.5 star maps which is clearly visible in my top ranks section.
Skill in osu! isn't measured by what maps you can clear, it's measured by what maps you can FC. You were stating you could play 4.5* maps, attempting to pass it off as your skill level and brag about your abilities, when really, your skill bracket is 3*. You never "said" your top rank was 4.5*, but you attempted to imply that was your ability, and I proved it false, else you would have 4.5* map FCs at the top of your Top Plays. I can pass airman, airman is 7 stars, I'm cookiezi, right? Cookiezi plays 7* maps. I play that 7* map. I'm cookiezi.

Mvsk wrote:

Jumping skill brackets is impressive
The only thing impressive here is the amount of salt you're spewing. You've managed to spout two entire paragraphs of completely redundant, irrelevant and inane statements, whilst making petty personal attacks on me for god knows what reason. That's just about the only thing impressive here (Aside from the amount of patience I'm displaying trying to politely explain this concept to you)

When you say that nothing can be gleaned from watching osu in response to my CLEAR POST ABOUT ----> WARM UPS <---- Yes you did say it about warm ups. It's only later that you changed your tone to "can't learn anything at all from watching osu pro players".

I never said that watching osu players will MAKE you better. That was your assumption half witt. That is where you misdirected the convo. Seriously go back and read the first page.

"Skill in osu! isn't measured by what maps you can clear, it's measured by what maps you can FC."
You were accusing me of being a liar when in fact it was your own inability to read. Now you're trying to misdirect yet again. All this misdirection. seriously just fucking kill yourself irl already. I never once implied it was my "ability". If i was going to i would have said that i could FC ---> FC <--- 4.5 star maps. But i didn't now did i half witt?
OK.

I'm done with you you are just going to keep twisting words.
Mahogany

Mvsk wrote:

When you say that nothing can be gleaned from watching osu in response to my CLEAR POST ABOUT ----> WARM UPS <---- Yes you did say it about warm ups. It's only later that you changed your tone to "can't learn anything at all from watching osu pro players".
From the very onset my post was that you would learn nothing.
I quote:

Mahogany wrote:

Watching pro players won't actually help you get any better
As you can see here, I've made no direct response you to, and I was making my own statement as a supplement to yours. You're just attempting to infer meaning that doesn't exist, and has never existed, for...well, I have absolutely no reason. Are you so sensitive you thought I was making a personal attack on you or something? And you're accusing me of misdirection?

Mvsk wrote:

I never said that watching osu players will MAKE you better
Oop, I'll just leave this here.

Mvsk wrote:

I have improved from watching videos before hand
p/4908147

Also, that's irrelevant.

Mvsk wrote:

You were accusing me of being a liar when in fact it was your own inability to read.
No, actually, you were really trying to say 4.5* was your skill level.

Mvsk wrote:

seriously just fucking kill yourself irl
I love you too buddy. I'm sure the mods will, too.
Topic Starter
Mvsk

Mvsk wrote:

It would seem that you're at a rank that has a significantly higher skill cap. Do you watch any Osu gameplay videos when returning from your break? It could help... I watch Doomsday, Xilver, cookiez and others to sort of... pre calibrate after breaks. Getting your eyes use to their gameplay before hand can help with your own.

Mahogany wrote:

Watching pro players won't actually help you get any better, because there's no "strategy" to speak of. Watching good players can help you in games like CS or LOL, but there's literally nothing you can glean from watching pro osu players.

And you won't learn to read maps from watching others playing them, for the same reason everything looks easy when you're not the one doing it. You need to actually play the maps to get used to them.
Your post was a direct response to mine, liar.

Mahogany wrote:

Mahogany wrote:

Watching pro players won't actually help you get any better
As you can see here, I've made no direct response you to, and I was making my own statement as a supplement to yours. You're just attempting to infer meaning that doesn't exist, and has never existed, for...well, I have absolutely no reason. Are you so sensitive you thought I was making a personal attack on you or something? And you're accusing me of misdirection?

Mods will favor me over you since you started all of this. You're the first one who started with the swears too after all and the one whos account is in bad standing. Blocked.
Yuudachi-kun
Performance: 983pp (#127,735)
N0thingSpecial
Mahogany

Mvsk wrote:

I'm done with you you are just going to keep twisting words.
What happened to this?

Mvsk wrote:

Your post was a direct response to mine, liar.
Says who? You? You didn't make that post, and your entire argument is based around your misconstrued conceptions of what my post meant.

Mvsk wrote:

Mods will favor me over you since you started all of this.
Right, the mods are going to favor the person who told someone else to literally kill themselves IRL. Do note that you're the one who started insulting me and creating an argument.

Mvsk wrote:

You're the first one who started with the swears too after all and the one whos account is in bad standing.
Swearing in moderation is acceptable in these forums so long as it's in context, you're not purposefully going out of your way to swear, and it's not directed at someone. However, flaming and bullying, like what you're doing right now, isn't as accepted.

Mvsk wrote:

Blocked.
We saw how ignoring me worked out last time, I doubt this will be any different.

N0thingSpecial wrote:

Can I have some of that popcorn?
silento
Holy fuck what do people not understand about things looking harder than they actually are.

I can stare at any of Rafis' top plays all I want and keep up with them by watching, but ask me to recreate them and I'll fail. Why? Because when you start adding stuff to do on top of reading the map, you start getting burdened by your body. It's why people can do some good stuff on Relax but fail to tap it because there's more complexity and coordination required.
DeathHydra

Mahogany wrote:

N0thingSpecial wrote:

Can I have some of that popcorn?
The debaters don't eat popcorn. The audience does. :)

And yeah, this thread is interesting indeed, like its title
Mahogany
I don't think this is so much a debate, more like a trainwreck, and OP is the train :^)

Now pass the popcorn dammit :o
N0thingSpecial
DeathHydra

N0thingSpecial wrote:

Yay nice.

1 kd for you
Mahogany

N0thingSpecial wrote:

LMAO +1 to this post
chainpullz
Don't worry guys, I'm carefully working to become a worse flashlight player than the worst flashlight player by watching all of his replays incessantly. Oh wait, nevermind, I only bother to watch the HDHR ones. Aim spook when?
Saphirshroom

Mvsk wrote:

Mvsk wrote:

I never said that watching osu players will MAKE you better. That was your assumption half witt. That is where you misdirected the convo.
lol

Mvsk wrote:

Is your primary social network Youtube?
Sayorie

N0thingSpecial wrote:

Mvsk wrote:

that's quite exhilarating to do, I almost did that too