forum

You know what's interesting

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Mvsk
The amount of time it takes to get good in osu is the same amount of time it takes to get good with an instrument.
Endie-
Nah. I'm way better with the kazoo than playing osu! and I have spent more time with osu! D:
Babble

Mvsk wrote:

The amount of time it takes to get good in osu is the same amount of time it takes to get good with an instrument.
Most instruments don't require you to aim at tiny circles.

I guess osu! and playing an instrument are similar in that your skill in both deteriorates the longer you leave them alone.
Topic Starter
Mvsk

Babble wrote:

Mvsk wrote:

Most instruments don't require you to aim at tiny circles.

I guess osu! and playing an instrument are similar in that your skill in both deteriorates the longer you leave them alone.
Sorry i'll clarify.
I've been playing osu on and off for a couple years now. In the time it has taken from 0 to 3-4 star maps is the same time it has taken me to get decent at electric guitar. Over a few months average difficulty median for osu will definitely increase same with guitar or any other main instrument. Saxophone. Violin. Drums. I know... "you put time into something you get good at it". but i realized that the 2 require around the same amount time for the same amount of difficulty.

Started off with video games tunes on guitar. 1 star map equivalent on osu
smoke on the water + other blues and early rock songs = 2star map
Children of bodom - 3 star maps
Cradle of filth - 4 star maps

The proficiency rate seems to only differ by about 10% max.

Just came back last week and as of 6 months ago i was playing modded 2 star maps. Now i can beat some 4.5 4.6 star maps. It's odd some of us actually get better after taking breaks from osu. Abilities here haven't degraded with time they have improved. :D
Babble

Mvsk wrote:

Sorry i'll clarify.
I've been playing osu on and off for a couple years now. In the time it has taken from 0 to 3-4 star maps is the same time it has taken me to get decent at electric guitar. Over a few months average difficulty median for osu will definitely increase same with guitar or any other main instrument. Saxophone. Violin. Drums. I know... "you put time into something you get good at it". but i realized that the 2 require around the same amount time for the same amount of difficulty.

Just came back last week and as of 6 months ago i was playing modded 2 star maps. Now i can beat some 4.5 4.6 star maps. It's odd some of us actually get better after taking breaks from osu. Abilities here haven't degraded with time they have improved. :D
I could see that. Considering rhythm games require timing inputs to a beat like actual instruments, it's not hard to believe there could be similarities in the learning curve between osu! and instruments. However, I wouldn't know firsthand since the last time I played an instrument was when I was 13 (trombone in the middle school marching band holla at ya boi).

And I wish my osu! skill didn't deteriorate. I binge osu! every few months, and whenever I come back form a break I'm significantly worse than the last time I played.
abraker
It seems you never tried playing harder stuff like Flight of the Bumblebee or Hungarian Rhapsody #2

Those should be worth a good amount of pp
Topic Starter
Mvsk

Babble wrote:

Mvsk wrote:

Sorry i'll clarify.

I could see that. Considering rhythm games require timing inputs to a beat like actual instruments, it's not hard to believe there could be similarities in the learning curve between osu! and instruments. However, I wouldn't know firsthand since the last time I played an instrument was when I was 13 (trombone in the middle school marching band holla at ya boi).

And I wish my osu! skill didn't deteriorate. I binge osu! every few months, and whenever I come back form a break I'm significantly worse than the last time I played.
It would seem that you're at a rank that has a significantly higher skill cap. Do you watch any Osu gameplay videos when returning from your break? It could help... I watch Doomsday, Xilver, cookiez and others to sort of... pre calibrate after breaks. Getting your eyes use to their gameplay before hand can help with your own.
Mahogany
Watching pro players won't actually help you get any better, because there's no "strategy" to speak of. Watching good players can help you in games like CS or LOL, but there's literally nothing you can glean from watching pro osu players.

And you won't learn to read maps from watching others playing them, for the same reason everything looks easy when you're not the one doing it. You need to actually play the maps to get used to them.
Topic Starter
Mvsk

Mvsk wrote:

Getting your eyes use to their gameplay before hand can help with your own.
This means getting your eyes use to fast gameplay and it does help regardless of what you think Mahogany. Looking at your page you haven't even taken a break from osu for more than a month so you really have no say when it comes to returning after hiatus.
Mahogany
Lol you won't learn to read an AR by watching someone play an AR

I can watch people play EZ or play HRDT and follow what they're doing completely fine but if I try to actually play it I fall apart because while my brain can comprehend what is going on, the added obstacle of trying to convert the visual information being conveyed into a motor function means I'm completely unable to keep up because now I have far more things to keep track of and pay attention to.

It's easy to comprehend what's going on if that's the only thing you focus on but when it comes to both looking at something and interpreting it into complex and extremely precise hand motions it's not going to help.

And lol userpages only show the past 3 months. The past 4 or so months I've been semi active but I hadn't played at all for the 3 months before that. I know what it's like returning from hiatus, I had no problem with it.

Having your eyes be used to fast gameplay is fucking useless if your brain can't translate it into proper hand movements. You don't pick up reading an AR just by watching someone else play the game. You need to be playing the game yourself if you actually want to learn and improve. Watching videos of others playing a game won't help you with anything except for picking up new strategies, and there's 0 strategy in osu.

Watching videos of other people playing osu will not help you improve.
Yuudachi-kun
Just play the ar on relax or something if you REALLY need to
I Give Up

Mvsk wrote:

That depends on what musical instrument compared to what play style. Personally I find osu waaaaaaaay easier than learning piano, guitar and violin.
Vuelo Eluko
watching people play can help you warm up to a certain ar that you already know though, 9.67 feels like 9 to me after watching enough 10.3
Saphirshroom
How the fuck do you even compare how good you are at an instrument to how good you are at osu? It's entirely subjective. Even if there were world wide instrument rankings it would still make no sense.
N0thingSpecial
Not sure what is the osu! equivalent of 8th grade piano
Yuudachi-kun
rank 60,000
N0thingSpecial

Khelly wrote:

rank 60,000
Mvsk you fucked up it took me 10 years to get 8th grade, and it took me 2 months to get to 60k rank kappa
Sayorie
If you're musically inclined, you'll easily learn instruments. If you have good reflexes and dexterity, you'll easily be good at osu!. It's quite that simple.

Now, look at this amazing 600pp play 88-keys mania

TMiracle

Arthraxium wrote:

If you're musically inclined, you'll easily learn instruments. If you have good reflexes and dexterity, you'll easily be good at osu!. It's quite that simple.

Now, look at this amazing 600pp play 88-keys mania

Thank you for this amazing post! This channel is a gold mine.
chainpullz
Nah, osu takes way less time to get good. Unless you have shit standards for what good is. Then osu still takes way less time to get good.
show more