forum

[resolved] Game Lag: Common Causes and Solutions

posted
Total Posts
show more
CodeS
Since last Update i've been getting a small delay at the start of some songs, it's not that big, but if the Notes start at the same time the music kicks in (like with no break or spinner before the first note of the song) it can be annoying.
it doesn't happen all the time, and it's accompanied by a "click" type sound (I can hear with my headphones on very high vol) when it does right at the start.
billy96
So, i basically removed the major lag from my PC by using OpenGL. There are still some minor lag, but they are tolerable. I highly recommend you to switch to OpenGL first if you experience any huge lag.

I'm still waiting for that OpenGL osu! peppy ;)
aliciasimoned
My game is experiencing severe game lag. i am already in OpenGL but lag is still getting worse and worse. What do i do about this
Mutoshi

Winshley wrote:

Hmm, there's no problems to your drivers. Try disabling Windows Aero (use basic theme instead).
I can't beleieve how well this worked. Hands down
Dexus
YukiTheOtaku_old

billy96 wrote:

So, i basically removed the major lag from my PC by using OpenGL. There are still some minor lag, but they are tolerable. I highly recommend you to switch to OpenGL first if you experience any huge lag.

I'm still waiting for that OpenGL osu! peppy ;)

I used openGL and now I cant click anything. I cant even go Option and change it back to directX :( cant do anything D:
Marcin
Hold SHIFT during starting osu!, and say no to openGL
BeatMaster007
If you've done all you can on the software side and nothing improves, and you're serious about wanting to play osu! without lag, you will have to seriously consider upgrading your hardware - at least to the level where it can play 2010 and newer 3D games without lag - and this means a discrete/dedicated graphics processor / GPU / videocard for desktops and certain laptops, and better laptops with more powerful graphics hardware for the rest.

Lasi i recall, a barebones desktop hardware package (4-core CPU, 4 GB DDR2 and motherboard with AT LEAST ONE PCI-Express x16 slot i.e. graphics card slot) will run at least $200, and a (PCI-Express, of course) graphics card will run anywhere from $75-150 or more. And please, don't be a cheapskate, get a Power Supply Unit (PSU) that is AT LEAST 500 Watts or more (and should have most, if not all the needed power connectors).

The rest are irrelevant with MAYBE the exception of Serial ATA standard hard disk drives, or if you intend to go bulls to the walls, an SSD for your Windows OS + performance emphasis programs e.g. osu! and the rest on some massive capacity SATA drive. (While you can still use your good old PATA/IDE hard drive, it probably won't be as fast in terms of program / file / song / beatmap loading times.

Of course, all of this assumes you can build your own PC and have the OS installation disc, drivers, etc.

Having a UPS is optional (maybe if your power company is a reliable one) but if you do, get one that is rated MORE than your PSU's max output + all vital peripherals' wattages. Just because the UPS says 600VA does NOT mean it can support 600 watts (it doesn't) - go look for the rated max wattage output of the UPS in battery power mode. I personally run my tower, modem, router and monitors on a 1200 watt UPS unit, and have been laughing off brownouts, power outages and power glitches/spikes/drops ever since.
Marcin
Actually, any laptop featuring 3rd and 4th generation of Intel I-series should be able to run osu! smoothly since they use HD4000 / HD4500 (or something like that) which is good enough to run osu! decently, same applies for PC, if you don't play any other games than osu!, I'd more recommend buying motherboard with support for Intel's Integrated GPU within CPU, possibly HD4000, and it will work like charm.
Zaphirox
Anything related to laptops
I suggest switching to windows classic(no theme), resolution 800x600, apply gamebooster 3, close any background programs running(torrents, setups, browsers, IRC, scheduled scans and updates, firewalls[depends]..etc. ]

Another thing is using framerate 60/120 don't use unlimited since the last time I used speedfan with the unlimited on laptop actually overheats
Higher the fps higher the processing you can use customframerate=60 , MyPCSucks= 1 in the [userhere].cfg

When downloading beatmaps use this method
close osu, download new beatmaps and drag them to the songs folder so once you open up osu its processing

Q.Lag Persist when laptop heats up?
A.Reboot/Restart PC/laptop

Q.Screwed up hitcircles and sliders?
A. Reboot/Restart PC/laptop

Q .Updated Osu?
A. Reboot/Restart PC/laptop
TheVileOne
Is this thread supposed to be resolved?
XPJ38
No. Unresolving.

edit2: didn't see this thread until now, my bad.
TheVileOne
I didn't either. I went directly to the resolved forum without checking.
[AlecDaShark]

Kert wrote:

Probably I should repost here
I always have a HUGE lag spike when the online scoreboard appears (after loading) when I'm already playing the map..
My only workaround is to switch to a local one.. Or sometimes I'm lucky and scoreboard loads fast, before notes appear
Can some optimization be made on this?
HidariShoutarou
well... my problem is on Catch the beat...

everytimes i play a beatmaps... the catchers always can't be moved for a while ( a half secs)

when i change to vsync there's no change at the lagging... please help...
RageTH
I have the 3rd problem in the start of the topic.
Basically, whenever I'm playing, it just freezes lightly and I miss a note for no reason.
I can't play like this and I've tried closing ALL background processes, all USB ports removed, but it still happens. What the hell is going on?
fck aim and acc
I have this problem where my hit circles, sliders and spinners are delayed from the song. The hit circles don't match with the beat of the songs. I have the same problem with all of my beatmaps. What should I do?
Vlerias
But it doesn't work
Yukkira_old
2Spooky5U

RageTH wrote:

I have the 3rd problem in the start of the topic.
Basically, whenever I'm playing, it just freezes lightly and I miss a note for no reason.
I can't play like this and I've tried closing ALL background processes, all USB ports removed, but it still happens. What the hell is going on?
^ This
however in my situation my game instantly freezes when i select a map difficulty i had recently gained a score on
everything was running crystal clear until the most recent update came out
Tenshinawi
I'm getting constant lag spikes at certain moments in certain Beatmaps I play. I did check the front page and skimmed through a few pages to see if there was a resolve for me, but to no avail. Furthermore, my mouse seems to want to fall behind at certain points where it begins to have a lag and I have to pull it ahead of the song.

I used 60 FPS (Vsync) and have tried other FPS limits, but nothing has worked. I use DirectX, and touching OpenGL does not solve a single thing. I also have turned off many of the features already, so I shouldn't have anything CPU intensive. My CPU usage while playing Osu! is at 5% if that's worth anything, so it doesn't seem like it's even close to grinding.

I have 12GB of Ram and a 3.6GHz i7 Core, so I'm a little confused with what's going on. The only other thing I could possibly think it is, is the fact I have an integrated graphics card, however it's a $300 motherboard made by ASUS so I imagine it could easily withstand Osu! (As it has withstood harsher games).
bloodymascarade
Aaaaye! I recently switched from windows 8.1 to windows 7 due to excessive bloatware that was slowing my computer down. But now I am experiencing extreme performance drops in osu! when i am running it on the same hardware, just different OS. Any halp would be appreciated.

I have done things such as limit to 60 fps and run it in windowed and full screen mode. I have also turned off all graphical settings examples being hit lighting and snaking sliders. I am currently trying to re install the game to see if that helps.
gippydpig
Same thing is happening, but for me it also has everything freeze and loop the audio nonstop for a few seconds then goes back to normal. I tried everything and what i noticed while looking at the processes during the audio loop and freeze, the "CPU" number would turn from 03 to 00.

Wut is happening T_T
JuanBatara123
I have a problem about the Video Playback.
When I play a beatmap using video, the video freezes and restart (video lags), and it ALWAYS happened right in the same second.
Please help, thanks.

Spec:
RAM: 4 GB
Processor: AMD E-350 (2 core) ~1.6 GHz
Graphic: AMD Radeon HD 6310
Axtris

Timekiller wrote:

I started experiencing really heavy lags while playing recently. To the point where game starts resembling some slideshow - playing insanes is VERY fun now. The fun thing is that FPS counter shows something in 120~80 range.
I can't be really sure, but it seems this all started right after OSU! updated a few days ago. Not to mention that the FPS counter itself somehow turned on automatically after that update.

Lags appear occasionaly, last for a while, then disappear. As I wrote that post, for example, at the beginning osu! was lagging furiously, but now FPS counter shows 600-900 fps, and lags disappeared completely, and the game's running VERY smoothly.
Also, everything seems to be a little better if I close Opera and other programs, but - they're not eating any resources except memory (and only 1GB is consumed, checked via taskman), and everything worked just fine even with much more heavy background load less then two weeks ago.

I didn't change/update/install anything into the system for some time before/after lags began, so that can't be the reason. Also tried limiting the framerate to 60/low end PC modes - no luck, no changes at all.

Sys Specs:

Win XP SP2
Core2Duo E2200
NV Geforce 8600GT
2GB Ram

I understand that issue might be because of browser being a bitch and overloading the system while opened on some pages, which together with the hellish air temperature (>30 celsium ATM) would cause something throttle-like in the processor, but temperature is below 45 cels. on CPU and about 60 on GPU (according to everest, BIOS shows something about 30 for CPU), so I don't really think this is the case.

P.S. Digged into the matter deeper while writing this. Lags certainly seem to appear when I have Opera opened on some pages w/heavy animation, because it's eating up the processor, but they appear as well when it is minimized and CPU usage, aside from OSU, is 0. And then again, everything worked just fine until recently, even with the animated pages in the background. Also, seeing lags while FPS shows 350+ is amusing.

P.P.S. While I'm at it, two other bugs, rather minor compared to that one:
1) OpenGL mode seems broken - OSU! would flash with transparency roughly once a second, hence it's nearly impossible to play.
2) While in Multiplayer, when everyone is ready to play, if you hit F5 and, while you're updating, host will start the game, then you'll be back to the multiplayer screen and everyone else would just stall. Encountered this only once, don't know if it's repeatable.

UPD: aaaand osu just crashed while in multiplayer. It seems something is broken after all.
Believe it or not, I play with the same pc, but with a NVIDIA GT210, and it goes pretty fast. Only change your GPU and you can play ANY game. Really. ANY
fajarrps
I have same problem here, I played a beatmap (no video) I get above 1.000 fps. BUT when I play a beatmap with a video, I only get 130 fps and sometimes dropped to 70 or 30 fps. is there someway how to fix it?
Bara-
Videos take up many space in ram
Also, most videos are only 30 fps, so there probably will be problems with high Fps-es
Meipon
since yesterday my osu have been really weird, it start smooth up and everything but then it have loaded the online leaderboard my mouse is delayed by nearly a second and have no idea at all why it does that ono havent done anything unusual
UAEOo

mm201 wrote:

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. I've merged your thread into the correct place. Please continue discussion here.

i have good cp and fast internet and i had stronge lag lag lag
detail my cp : ram 4gb E8400 3.00GHZ
i played games more HEAVY

i sure problem come in osu

can any one solve my issue
stevenzzz_old
this is bad,but i think most of you do seem have the same thing

when i play a song that has video inside,it is totally lag and can't even play.i play have a nice music as the song, and it is laggy everytime i play it.
can anyone help out with my problem.maybe it has problem with my computer because my computer is window XP. please help :( :( :(
DreamDaze000
My game on my new pc has unbearable lag. This desktop has good specs and kind run most games on the highest settings.
The lag is constant; it occurs even in the menu at startup. It will freak out for a few moments, smooth, freak out, smooth, etc.
I can't fix it. I have tried different frame limits, openGL, vsync, updating it, restarting my computer, and even reinstalling with both installers. Nothing seems to work. Some Specs:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20Hz 3.20 GHz
RAM: 12.0 GB
System Type: 64-Operating System, x64-based processor
Len Kagamiine
Hello sir, i assume this game is Only take up a single core of processor, and not optimized for multi Core Processor.

i alerdy run a benchmark with
Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E 6500 Vs Amd Athlon II X3 455 ( both i Overclocked to 3.5 Ghz )
GPU : Nvidia GT 440 1 GB DDR 5
Ram : 4GB

The result was
The Dual Core Get Higher FPS @1100 - 1200 in game
while the athlon II x3 455 triple core processor only have FPS Around 800-1000 in Game

so i hope this game will well optimized in future for multi core processor so it can take advantages from the multicore cpu horsepower. also make fps drop nearly impossible :) :idea:
show more