[resolved] Game Lag: Common Causes and Solutions

posted
Total Posts
247
show more
Yoshi_green
Ok, so I have yet another typical lag problem on my computer...

I don't know how "special" my case is, but I can't seem to fix it... so here's my problem:

To put it short, I'm using DirectX renderer, and it lags a lot. Basically, I can visibly see frameskips roughly every quarter of a second.
The funny thing is, if I switch to OpenGL, it's completely fine. But if I record something (using a screen recorder), DirectX is still laggy, and OpenGL... well, that's broken when I record stuff (it goes to 10 fps).

My computer SHOULD be able to handle it, also. It has an Core i7 processor with 6GB RAM, running Windows 7 (Home Premium, I believe)

I'm also using dxtory as a screen recorder, using the Alparysoft Lossless Codec, if that helps. I record at 60 fps. I've also tried recording with other softwares (like FRAPS), other codecs, (like Lagarith), and other fps speeds (like, 30, 120, etc.) Nothing works so far.

I really want to switch back to DirectX permanently instead of using OpenGL all the time, since I know that OpenGL is not very stable.

So basically, what I want is to record a seamless, lagless, video, and switch back to DirectX. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Zaphirox

Yoshi_green wrote:

Ok, so I have yet another typical lag problem on my computer...

I don't know how "special" my case is, but I can't seem to fix it... so here's my problem:

To put it short, I'm using DirectX renderer, and it lags a lot. Basically, I can visibly see frameskips roughly every quarter of a second.
The funny thing is, if I switch to OpenGL, it's completely fine. But if I record something (using a screen recorder), DirectX is still laggy, and OpenGL... well, that's broken when I record stuff (it goes to 10 fps).

My computer SHOULD be able to handle it, also. It has an Core i7 processor with 6GB RAM, running Windows 7 (Home Premium, I believe)

I'm also using dxtory as a screen recorder, using the Alparysoft Lossless Codec, if that helps. I record at 60 fps. I've also tried recording with other softwares (like FRAPS), other codecs, (like Lagarith), and other fps speeds (like, 30, 120, etc.) Nothing works so far.

I really want to switch back to DirectX permanently instead of using OpenGL all the time, since I know that OpenGL is not very stable.

So basically, what I want is to record a seamless, lagless, video, and switch back to DirectX. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
I can probably suggest to use bandicam or otherwise use half size, setting the fps limiter to 120 if doesnt help use 60 using unlimited is not recommended when recording but try it out. Record in fullscreen with less resolution using native can be a little harsh for your recorder. This comes nifty for the setting of Osu Priority in task manager to low allowing the program to record smoothly.

Use directX btw also make sure its up to date
sstocd
I have an issue that I'm not sure if anyone else has encountered. For almost every single map at a certain point in the song the music will keep going but the beatmap will lag, usually not responding to any input for about 0.5 seconds, and it always throws off a combo. However, as long as you go through the part where the song lags once as long as you only hit retry and don't return to the song select section of Osu! the lag will never appear again. It's definitely nothing to do with background processes or anything like that because it lags at the exact same point and my specs are good enough where it'd pretty unlikely that i'm lacking in resources.

I'm running bootcamped Windows 7 on a Macbook 15" Retina.
Zaphirox

sstocd wrote:

I have an issue that I'm not sure if anyone else has encountered. For almost every single map at a certain point in the song the music will keep going but the beatmap will lag, usually not responding to any input for about 0.5 seconds, and it always throws off a combo. However, as long as you go through the part where the song lags once as long as you only hit retry and don't return to the song select section of Osu! the lag will never appear again. It's definitely nothing to do with background processes or anything like that because it lags at the exact same point and my specs are good enough where it'd pretty unlikely that i'm lacking in resources.

I'm running bootcamped Windows 7 on a Macbook 15" Retina.
Its either SB lag or Video making it lag but Im not pretty sure I always get this kind of prob since then as well
sstocd

Zaphirox wrote:

Its either SB lag or Video making it lag but Im not pretty sure I always get this kind of prob since then as well
I don't think that's right. I just doubled checked and the occurs regardless of whether or not the SB or video are on or not. It's also not my skin because it happens on multiple skins.
Zaphirox

sstocd wrote:

Zaphirox wrote:

Its either SB lag or Video making it lag but Im not pretty sure I always get this kind of prob since then as well
I don't think that's right. I just doubled checked and the occurs regardless of whether or not the SB or video are on or not. It's also not my skin because it happens on multiple skins.
Re-checked well one thing for me to guess is the memory
zinckingeye
i have experience gameplay lag after i update(update that contains replay speed of .5x). and memory usage is 200+ at initial instead of 100+mb.
sstocd
I guess I'll have to just live with the lag. I have 8gbs of RAM and it gets nowhere close to maxing out at any point in osu!.
Dark Espeon
I've been trying to find the solution for my problem, seriously. If this was discussed somewhere - I didn't find it. Sorry. ;)

Anyway, here's my problem. As soon as I double click osu!, it's starting picture appears (as usual), but then my mouse disappears. Well, actually it's like the whole game window became transparent and I can't see anything. I can hear the music, I can hear the sounds of pressing buttons, I can play beatmaps normally. But all I see - is my desktop! No sliders, no backgrounds, no hitcircles. Not even a black screen. Nothing. :o
I tried reinstalling osu!, everything was okay until it started loading all songs I have got thus far. It has crashed (Idk why), and then this bug happened again.

Can you help me with this? :cry:
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
UPDATE: Thank you guys, I'm tired of waiting, so I've just deleted .cfg file. Obviously, it helped me, not counting reseted settings though C:
Thanks again.
Zaphirox

zinckingeye wrote:

i have experience gameplay lag after i update(update that contains replay speed of .5x). and memory usage is 200+ at initial instead of 100+mb.
um...I can say that is normal when you play it turns like that too o3o

sstocd wrote:

I guess I'll have to just live with the lag. I have 8gbs of RAM and it gets nowhere close to maxing out at any point in osu!.
Lower your resolution and play windowed I manage to replicate that kind of problem but playing on windowed mode with 800x600 solved mine :)
Payaya
My Osu! starts lagging as soon as there are sliders in the beatmap but as long as there are only hitcircles it works perfectly fine. Also the menu and the audio are not lagging at all. I didn't have any problems with Osu! around 3 days ago but I updated it now so could that be the reason for my problems??
I restarted my laptop afterwards and didn't change any settings at all before the lags started. It's on DirectX with 120fps and Low-End-PC.
I tried changing to OpenGL and a lower fps rate but that didn't help either :(
Pearl

Payaya wrote:

My Osu! starts lagging as soon as there are sliders in the beatmap but as long as there are only hitcircles it works perfectly fine. Also the menu and the audio are not lagging at all. I didn't have any problems with Osu! around 3 days ago but I updated it now so could that be the reason for my problems??
I restarted my laptop afterwards and didn't change any settings at all before the lags started. It's on DirectX with 120fps and Low-End-PC.
I tried changing to OpenGL and a lower fps rate but that didn't help either :(
I have the same lag :<
Iron K Tager

Payaya wrote:

My Osu! starts lagging as soon as there are sliders in the beatmap but as long as there are only hitcircles it works perfectly fine. Also the menu and the audio are not lagging at all. I didn't have any problems with Osu! around 3 days ago but I updated it now so could that be the reason for my problems??
I restarted my laptop afterwards and didn't change any settings at all before the lags started. It's on DirectX with 120fps and Low-End-PC.
I tried changing to OpenGL and a lower fps rate but that didn't help either :(
Ever since the last update to Osu! my game has been getting long sputters of lag, and for the life of me I cannot seem to find out why. I have the same problem, but it starts in the menu and is present throughout my game, regardless of sliders or song selections or the options menu, it lags on them all. My settings have been perfectly fine up until now, so that leads me to believe it is something added to the game.
J0sh
Whenever I do multiplayer on here my mouse seizes to move how I want it to. Like if I try to move it straight left, it might go up and to the right. The input is just uncontrollable. Nothing wrong with my Internet, and my mouse has never done this outside of this game.
Kyujuroku 96
I found a program wich optimizes the computer to play games. It also closes useless processes to reduce CPU usage, among other things.

More info and download here. Note that you will need an account to use it.
Zaphirox

S v p e r wrote:

I found a program wich optimizes the computer to play games. It also closes useless processes to reduce CPU usage, among other things.

More info and download here. Note that you will need an account to use it.
Gamebooster is pretty much helpful but sometimes not required
and btw a little note don't defrag the osu directory using gamebooster
ZlofZ
what can be the cause for this?
it happens when maximizing the gamewindow or playing maps in osu! standard mode.
taiko, CtB and mania are fine.

the cause might be very poor Graphics, ram and cpu since this is on a Asus VivoTab smart me400c which runs full x86 win8
its a intel atom 1,8 Ghz (might be dualcore) and 2gb RAM, it says that is has a maximum of 725mb grafics ram and i dont know the coreclock

i'd like o know what's wrong if it isnt cause of the performance
Zaphirox

ZlofZ wrote:

what can be the cause for this?
it happens when maximizing the gamewindow or playing maps in osu! standard mode.
taiko, CtB and mania are fine.

the cause might be very poor Graphics, ram and cpu since this is on a Asus VivoTab smart me400c which runs full x86 win8
its a intel atom 1,8 Ghz (might be dualcore) and 2gb RAM, it says that is has a maximum of 725mb grafics ram and i dont know the coreclock

i'd like o know what's wrong if it isnt cause of the performance
never encountered anything like this before but its either on the skin or the vram
TheVileOne
Posted two methods that I discovered that will improve performance in your game. You can find these in the OP.

Edit: I should note that I don't think this thread is regularly checked for new issues. If your issue isn't tended to within a couple days of posting here contact a member of the support team. You don't need to post your issue here and may post in a separate thread. It is not so easy to troubleshoot such issues in a large thread.
Charmyte
Thought this'd be the best place to hunt for help.

After playing osu! for a few weeks, I tried my hand at the beatmap editor. After trying .mp4 files into osu!, I converted the file to .mp3 and began mapping. Being horribly inexperienced, I gave up after a few hours and deleted the map, and took a break from osu! for a bit. However, when I came back (this is about the start of July, maybe a few days after), I found immense visual lag on both the menus and game. Turning off all the special effects and turning on the FPS counter, I saw a 10-20 FPS drop in the songs, and up to a 50 or 60 frame drop at spinners. So I ran windows update, updated Avast, updated Java, made sure DirectX was updated as much as possible, ran osu updater multiple times, ran defrags and virus checks, and uninstalled and reinstalled.

My osu build is b20130626, and I'm using Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 Home Edition Version 2002. I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+, 2 GHz processor speed. But osu ran perfectly before this incident, so I don't know if the physical specs are the issue.
show more
Please sign in to reply.

New reply