forum

[Archived] Tutorial: Get the lowest ms/input lag possible

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
zubirig
So, i got this obsession with this thing called MS (also known as Lag or Input latency) /If you don't know what im talking about or don't know what is your ms please set enable this option:

Well, the thing is that i im trying to get my MS the lowest i can get since i play osu!. And my results are pretty good, im playing now with 2.5ms most of the time with no video card practically beacouse of my laptop is graphics included and bla bla bla.
Anyways i wanted to "teach" you guys how to lower your MS and in the same time learn from you. Here are my tips:

1st Check your MS obviously to have a parameter.
2nd Enable the Fullsceen option (This one is the most important)
3ed Frame limiter: Unlimited
4th Diseable all of this:

5th Hide the background:

6th Play in a lower resolution (I preffer the lowest resolution but keeping the format of 16:9)
7th Sometimes changing the skin helps (In case that you use a very colorful with innescesary effects and stuff)
8th Hide the skin life bar and combo count by pressing Ctrl + tab during a beatmap (You have to do this once and the setting will be remembered) to enable it again just press ctrl + tab
9th Im not quiet if this helps but: Keep your graphic drivers updated
10 Tell me you results, show me your MS and if you do something more share please

Now that your MS - Latency is fixed you can blame yourself for missing that circle insted of blame the game like me.
Angwar
I strongly advise to not use unlimited frames but instead set a framelimit that your computer is able to achieve stable. You can set a custom framelimit in the games config file.
Topic Starter
zubirig
I treid to do that, i change the Frame rate to 60fps and get 17ms! that's wierd i know. So i tried 120fps and get 8.5 most of the time, and with the Unlimited -frame Rate im playing with 2 - 3.5 ms
What are your Frame rate settings?

Edit: I set frame rate to 240Fps and get 4.3ms, but Unlimited still 2.5
Pawsu
Pretty much this?
Endaris
The Framerate/Refreshrate in the bottom right corner has absolutely nothing to do with inputlag.
Recommendation by peppy is to try unlimited and if you get above 500fps constant/2ms per refresh without framedrops stick to it, otherwise use 240fps.
And the reason for this is only osu!'s code being based on framedisplays, inputlag is completely unrelated.

tl;dr:
The number in the bottom right corner is just the inverse of your FPS(frames per second) and has nothing to do with input lag.
Topic Starter
zubirig

Endaris wrote:

The Framerate/Refreshrate in the bottom right corner has absolutely nothing to do with inputlag.
Recommendation by peppy is to try unlimited and if you get above 500fps constant/2ms per refresh without framedrops stick to it, otherwise use 240fps.
And the reason for this is only osu!'s code being based on framedisplays, inputlag is completely unrelated.

tl;dr:
The number in the bottom right corner is just the inverse of your FPS(frames per second) and has nothing to do with input lag.
So it's better to play with 4.2 stable than 2.5 unstable?
Sakuya2718

zubirig wrote:

Do you really think 1,7 ms matter? OK, if you're so obsessed with delay, can you pass for me, please, peppy - Keyboard Latency Test and post a result here? I'm currently struggling with this problem, and it's more and more frusrating than your 1,7 ms. >_<
Topic Starter
zubirig

Sakuya2718 wrote:

zubirig wrote:

Do you really think 1,7 ms matter? OK, if you're so obsessed with delay, can you pass for me, please, peppy - Keyboard Latency Test and post a result here? I'm currently struggling with this problem, and it's more and more frusrating than your 1,7 ms. >_<
Well i realy feel the difference between 2.5 and 8.4 so, yes that 1.7 bothers me. Ill try that map thank you
DestinyzFate
Changing the fps limiter helped alot, with making it stable or not. 240fps seems perf
ZenitH-AT
I wouldn't recommend disabling snaking sliders, but that's just me. I feel like it helps your gameplay a bit...

Also for less input lag if you have nvidia gpu try changing the maximum pre-rendered frames to 1. If you unplug your mouse device and replug it you will see your mouse pointer on top of the osu pointer and if you move your mouse fast you will notice that your pointer moves more responsively to the osu cursor and changing the pre-rendered frames to 1 removed some of that effect for me.
Sunny Senpai
I get 0.4~0.6 ms max lol
Full form is milliseconds (ms), it's the time taken for the input data received by ur PC. So the lesser the number, higher the control.

My settings:
> Frame Limiter: Unlimited
> Show FPS Counter: On
> Compatibility: Off
> Reduce Dropped Frames: Off (My game stutters suddenly in game if I enable it)
> Detect Perf Issues: On
> Resolution: 1080p
> Fullscreen Mode: On (This one really helps)
> Letterboxing: On
> Snaking Sliders: On (Rest all disabled)
> Skin: A-Requieland-Final
> Raw Input: Enabled (Do it)
> Map absolute raw input: Enabled

I use High Performance power plan while playing osu, no lags at all. Hope this helps ^^
-Rafu-
ms - 1.5 - 0.85
thx bro <3
Death
Glad this was able to help you, please try to avoid bumping super old threads in the future though.
TacticalAleX
My latency got up to 7ms even tho when i stuck it at Vsync(144hz) it was 0.5ms before. Idk how but putting the fps limit highers makes it look less smooth. Is there anyway that i can decrease it back to 0.5ms?
Death

Death wrote:

please try to avoid bumping super old threads in the future though.
Make a new thread if you are having issues.