forum

All Mathematicians Please come to this thread

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
B1rd
There is a very complicated mathematical and philosophical problem that needs to be solved.

That is, does 4-5*, as in the context of the title for a multiplayer lobby mean 4.0-5.0*, or 4.0-5.99*, or something else entirely?

This needs to be solved once and for all. Let the debate begin.
Yuudachi-kun
4.00 to 5.99. because the title 4*-5* means all 4* maps and all 5* maps.

This issue can be solved by not having a shitty fucking multi name and saying 4.00 to 5.00* or 4.00 to 5.25 or something.
-Makishima S-
4.00-5.00
DeathHydra
Lol I don't think you should make a topic about this but oh well...

I will assume it's a 4.00-5.99 if the room title is like "4 stars and 5 stars". But if "4 to 5 stars" I will assume that it's a 4.00-5.00.
Believe it or not, I'm quite good with mathematics
Nabel_old_1
3.50-5.50
TheRealNick24
3.51-5.49
Endaris
4.0-5.0 with a margin of tolerance of like 0.25. For some psychological reason people will always pick closer to the higher number because they don't want to look like having small balls or something, i don't know. That's why it effectively plays out like 4.1-5.5*.
I don't know. Just use decimals.

You don't make sense, Khelly, it would be 3.01 to 5.99 if anything.
Yuudachi-kun

Endaris wrote:

4.0-5.0 with a margin of tolerance of like 0.25. For some psychological reason people will always pick closer to the higher number because they don't want to look like having small balls or something, i don't know. That's why it effectively plays out like 4.1-5.5*.

Why would 4* mean 3.01 and not 4.00+? That doesn't make sense. Any map 3.99 or below does NOT have 4 stars.
Topic Starter
B1rd

Endaris wrote:

There can be no margin of tolerance. Even if you allow 0.1 star more it just becomes a slippery slope.
Deva

[Taiga] wrote:

4.00-5.00
Oh god finally some fucking common sense

OT:

HK_ wrote:

it means 4.00000000000000000000000000000000...1-4.99999999999999999999999999999999999...*
Saphirshroom

Khelly wrote:

Endaris wrote:

Why would 4* mean 3.01 and not 4.00+? That doesn't make sense. Any map 3.99 or below does NOT have 4 stars.
This
Endaris

B1rd wrote:

There can be no margin of tolerance. Even if you allow 0.1 star more it just becomes a slippery slope.
Oh, so this is a full meme thread.
Reason:
Because 4-5= -1
This implies that the range of stars is |-1|=1
The only set of 1 that has both 4 and 5 in it is [4;5]

@Khelly: So you are some fucking compiler that is too stupid to round numbers when converting to integer. gg
Yuudachi-kun

Endaris wrote:

@Khelly: So you are some fucking compiler that is too stupid to round numbers when converting to integer. gg
I don't even get what you're trying to say.
Deva
lol rip
N0thingSpecial
I don't think maths even play a role in this topic lol since we're not using proper mathematical annotations in the first place
Yuudachi-kun

N0thingSpecial wrote:

I don't think maths even play a role in this topic lol since we're not using proper mathematical annotations in the first place
Here I can do non-notation too

4* maps --> All maps that have at least 4 stars and no more than 4.99
5* maps --> All maps that have at least 5 stars and no more than 5.99

4*-5* maps -> 4.00 to 5.99

"4-5" stars as a multi title

Ambiguous since the person reading might assume 4.00 to 5.00 or all 4 star and all 5 star maps.

Solution:

USE BETTER MULTI LOBBY TITLES YOU FUCKS
DeathHydra
Suddenly this topic is popular. I guess everyone is a mathematician
Saphirshroom

Endaris wrote:

Every single compiler of every relevant programming language ever truncates when casting floating point to integers and doesn't round. (Also, this is the exact reason why I too think that 4-5* means 4.0 to 5.99.)
Khelly is right.
Endaris
Or they use the definition by the difficulty-grouping and think it is 3.5-5.5
N0thingSpecial
Wait let me ask a friend who is actually studying maths as a degree
show more