forum

"Very Beginner" Osu Player

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Contorted
Hey guys, I literally just started playing yesterday (I looked through the forms and saw Introduction, but these are mostly Gameplay questions so I figured it would be good to ask them here.)

So first off, I'm really enjoying the game. I come from a Rhythm game background (GH, Stepmania, mildly competitive in both), and thought I'd finally give Osu! a try. It's been a blast so far :) I actually just passed Tower of Heaven (Hyper and literally no experience if this is good/bad/mediocre/etc for my skill level, nor do I care).

But I do have a few questions regarding improvement and a few other questions about more.... probably preference type things.

Will Using a Mouse Hinder Me

I don't plan to become the next Cookiezi, I plan to play for fun, but I still want to improve at my own rate so that I'm proud of it. My question is, will using a mouse hinder me? If it doesn't hinder me, I don't mind it; but I'm just wondering if long term it will hurt me.
EDIT: I have an iPad, but I've been warned against using that (which makes sense)

How to Improve
I plan on playing the game a lot as is, and because I'm having fun just playing the game, I'm wondering if anyone can give any good advice on how to improve? I read the beginner's gameplay guide, and as I read through the threads, a lot of people seemed to agree that it wasn't the best way to start off anymore. Any advice?

Default OSU! Settings fine?
I'm using a random skin, but other than that the settings are on default. Are there any settings that can hurt your gameplay? If not, this is also fine.

Thanks very much ahead of time :)
-Makishima S-
No, tablet vs mouse is old delusional thing. You can be as good as tablet player with proper mouse if you practice a lot.

How to Improve
There is plenty of topics on forum about this.
tl;dr:
Don't play stuff too hard for you, progress properly, don't rush in matter of speed, don't be "this guy" who want's to look like an idiot and play 4-5-6* maps while cannot even click circles on 3*, no fail is shit for you etc.

Aim = Acc > Speed

And you are pretty much set.
Also remember that progress in osu depends on your mental and physical abilities to coordinate eye<->hand movement. Reading maps is very important skill and you should take care of it same as for aim and acc. Speed will come with time and practice, i wouldn't care about it at all.

I'm using a random skin, but other than that the settings are on default. Are there any settings that can hurt your gameplay? If not, this is also fine.
Be sure your skin doesn't have 300 sprite and you are in home, rest is just personal preference.
I Give Up
Of course mouse will hinder you it is normal but in long term it won't matter coz mouse can every thing.

How to Improve
Play more.

Adjust volume levels as you want, usually players put music volume lower than hit sounds. Disable special effects like hit lightings and stuff as they cause blindness. Play with skin that don't bleed your eyes. Partially dim background or completely, as you want.
ZenithPhantasm

KukiMonster wrote:

Of course mouse will hinder you it is normal but in long term it won't matter coz mouse can almost every thing.
Topic Starter
Contorted

[Taiga] wrote:

Aim = Acc > Speed
This was actually something I forgot to ask, but thanks for clearing it up. It makes sense that accuracy would be more important than speed (especially at my level).

Would you suggest playing 2/3 star songs and trying to get a higher accuracy? (Assuming most 2/3 stars are pretty easy for me)
-Makishima S-
Play maps what you can FC with good acc. If you fail map because of reading / shitty aim - leave it for other time and move to another one. If you cannot read a map (eg. 2fast4you), don't even try it. You will just build bad muscle memory and make yourself unable to progress properly.

Important thing - don't play easy/normal/hard with mods, play nomod until you will be able easiely FC 5* maps with minimum 98-99% acc. It's just my opinion but at least for me it works well since i don't feel any pressure while jumping from 4* to 5*.
N0thingSpecial
As a mouse player, in my most honest opinion, yes it will hinder you, as you will have to deal with mouse drift, acceleration and various mouse settings and stuff. but once you dealt with those things it should be almost be no difference from tablet

How to Improve
Play more and have fun, play at your skill level, build up consistency then bring up your skill ceiling by playing harder maps

These are the main ones (Detail settings)

As for the skins, just choose a skin that doesn't give you seizures every 2 seconds.
dung eater
You will probably get big gains from switching to tablet really fast, unless you have used mouse for some other precision/speed requiring things before.

Tablets are pretty much superior in tracking because of absolute positioning. Only thing mice are better at is input lag (feeling of being in control of cursor) and report rate (smoother curves), making moving cursor on a crt feel really satisfying.
ZenithPhantasm

jaaakb wrote:

report rate (smoother curves)
Wrong. Mouse sensors are not as accurate so you have problems like jitter.
Topic Starter
Contorted
So...

I have an iPad, and can get access to a Wacom tablet in the future, but I've been advised against using an iPad

Should I just use one?
Endie-
Start with that mouse of yours first
ZenithPhantasm
you're not at the level where a consistent mouse is even a factor. I suggest you figure out if you're going to be playing this game a month from now. Most people Ik quit very early on
dung eater

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

jaaakb wrote:

report rate (smoother curves)

I meant smoother curves as the position of cursor (or change of position for mouse) is reported more often. It's not really noticeable in anything else but cursortrails. When moving your cursor very fast.
Sayorie
Download more maps first.

More maps = more fun = more pp = more gains
ZenithPhantasm

jaaakb wrote:

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

I meant smoother curves as the position of cursor (or change of position for mouse) is reported more often. It's not really noticeable in anything else but cursortrails. When moving your cursor very fast.
Thats only if you're moving it very fast a low polling rate. 1000hz is better yes but I think the consistency of those reports matter more. Unless you want something like this:

FrzR

Contorted wrote:

:(
Mvsk
Using a mouse will not hinder you until you are doing maps above 3.5 stars. It is at that point where you should switch over to a tablet. ( The rate at which you can improve becomes hindered when using a mouse at certain difficulties) It is mainly your accuracy that will suffer.
in response to the inevitable P.C fools.
"OMG Trigger but PEOPLE HAVE USED MOUSE ON HIGH LEVEL PLAY BEFORE"
Obviously but these players are few and far between. A very large majority of players use tablet by the time they hit the 3-4 star difficulty. Only very few stick with mouse and typically it takes much longer to get better with a mouse than it does with a tablet.

To improve organize your maps by bpm. Lets say you can do 2 star maps but have trouble with 2.5 stars. Then what you want to do is pla yhigh BPM 2 star maps and then transition to low BPM 2.5 star maps. Repeat this with every difficulty if you wish but above all else have fun with it!
Deva
A good mouse wont hinder you at any level. Tablet is just a preference.
KanoSet

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

every time i look at this i feel sadness deep inside
cm pls fix
ot: no, mouse won't hinder you if you played enough with it
Sayorie
Can you afford to buy a tablet?

If yes, then buy one.
If not, then use a mouse.
Simple.
Minhtam
From experience, I would say take two months to learn with the mouse(+keyboard) until you learn the mechanics of the game enough to FC 2.0 to 2.5* maps with 99% accuracy.

Then get a tablet.
-Makishima S-

Minhtam wrote:

From experience, I would say take two months to learn with the mouse(+keyboard) until you learn the mechanics of the game enough to FC 2.0 to 2.5* maps with 99% accuracy.

Then get a tablet.
I started straight away with tablet and it ended well for me so bs.
OP - if you can afford tablet now - buy it.
N0thingSpecial

[Taiga] wrote:

OP - if you can afford tablet now - buy it.
#mouse4life
ZenithPhantasm
Doesn't matter when you get tablet but only buy tablet after you figure out if you will still be playing this game 6-12months from now. Otherwise it's not worth the investment unless you are an artist or happen to already have a tablet.