forum

Mapset and Spread Restructure (Proposed)

posted
Total Posts
show more
GenDoNL
Why did you do this?
In no way does this help the ranking system.

Beginners have enough maps to play, since every mapset already has easy's.
Why would they need 5min+ maps too?

We need more 6* maps, not more 3* maps.
Anze
Good
Let's make Unforgiving's Insane diff
Aerolustly

i completely disagree with this
bmax
Secondly, we limited the amount of difficulties of the same level per game mode. Every mapset is limited to one of each difficulty level per game mode.
why this seems stupid and pointless
gregest
I just realized something, if somebody makes a full spread for centipede, it can get ranked? cuz the gap doesn't matter between extra and ultra :^))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Makeli

Cheesecake wrote:

Democratic People's Republic of osu!
CelebGarfield
As a player, my personal satisfaction comes from playing different diffs from a skillset,because even with the same star rating, two extras can have significant difference in play, which i feel should not dissappear from a set.

I see the spread lately between easy and ultra hard maps, but I feel like mapping easier songs has a lack of options to choose from, which is why we see more harder maps maybe?
As for my opinion, I want to appriciate every style of extra difficulties mapped by various talented mappers.
Volatar
Why would you REDUCE the amount of difficulties you can map? That is just going to make it harder for new players like myself to climb the difficulty ladder.

This change makes no sense.
koliron

Rizia wrote:

rip osu

worst idea ever
Sylvette

CptBlackBird wrote:

I just realized something, if somebody makes a full spread for centipede, it can get ranked? cuz the gap doesn't matter between extra and ultra :^))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
This.
Trust

ztrot wrote:

Hello everyone, ztrot here with some exciting new news!

From today on, there will be a new format in which mapping beatmap sets will work. This falls in line with our goals to make as many of the maps here at osu accessible to all players of many skill types! This new rule might seem scary at first but, fear not as we don't want to forget our professional osu! players either!
I'm hoping that these rules get rescinded, not even sure why they need to be introduced to begin with. This "goal" has already been accomplished and the professionals have been catered to more in the last year than ever before. Also, what do you mean our goals? Nobody outside of your little council wants this.
Professor Gila
woo wow wow what a fast response post

rip most GDs :c

should this thread moved to ranking criteria subforum so this can be discussed there?

don't forget to board some pants to leave a trace :v

don't take mah stale popcorn :v
lilelf29
Someone help me!!!
I can only facepalm at the staff so much!
Noffy

Cirno-baka9 wrote:

15 pages of people disagreeing and they still haven't changed...
Averaging at nearly 1 post every 30 seconds it's incredible.
Anxient
Arphimigon
This REALLY damages mapsets which are over 10 minutes, like one I'm working on now, since making a new whole easier diff not only is extremely time consuming (considering mine is 16 mins) but the currently difficulty is all about working with the atmosphere of the original song, so it has easy and hard parts, so making an easier diff would make no sense.

I could say that for shorter approval maps having multiple diffs is more acceptable, but for way longer ones? No way.
Cellina
OK, this looks fine.
Bubbled.
Sylvette

ztrot wrote:

Hello everyone, ztrot here with some retarded new bullshit!
Shirona
OSU! NEED MORE 12342142141231 STAR MAP!
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/150945
WE SHOULD RANK CENTIPEDE
Kuronora
this is just plain stupid and why is someone that doesnt even map anymore taking decisions?
Jugment
cant wait for mazzerin's new 4* 270bpm marathon
Avishay
hilariosu
Surono
enjoy ur life ppl, think wat u doing with life, or feet.
kisata
To top it all off, this is pretty fucking hilarious:

I hope you enjoyed having your opinion heard, the many thousands of asian standard mappers out there! That's what the staff really thinks of you; they didn't even bother to invite you to their little discussion!

(edit: yes I know frosty maps, but they didn't even bother inviting a Chinese/Japanese/Taiwanese/Korean mapper; someone from one of the largest countries inside osu? Come on, that's absolutely ridiculous.)
hehe
Doesn't hurt to try something, but having further elaboration on the reasoning behind the mentioned changes would be really good to help us grasp the situation and the council's ideals.
Rumia-
you guys instead of let your emotions controls you , better date me for valentine dude , its been 47 mins and i dont have gf sad
Nozhomi
i think the funiest part of this is when a BN tell you to map a new Insane to fill the gap between a GD Insane and your Hard, and after see this stupid rule coming from nowhere and is contradictory with everything peoples agrees on it.

JUST CHANGE IT ! DO IT ! YES YOU CAN !
Just listen to all the people who already complain here, and all other who will stop mapping just because of this rule who destroy everything.

Rumia- wrote:

you guys instead of let your emotions controls you , better date me for valentine dude , its been 47 mins and i dont have gf sad
Same tbh
Endaris
The second rule is seems illogical as there is no set definition what difficulty includes which gameplay-elements.
Depending on the song different gameplay-elements are appropriate to reflect the song, making it impossible to judge what difficulty name a map should receive.
The only way I see is classifying the difficulties after the gameplayelements in a scheme like
Used snaps; Most Used Spacing(time);DS Used; SV Used;Frequency of DS Changes; Frequency of SV Changes; Main Patterns used

So my difficulty(3,8*) may be called
124;2;-;1.8;10;10;Flowbased Sliders on high/changing SV

opposed to my second difficulty(3.6*)
1248;4;1.5;1.4;3;0;Changing Directions a lot+Streamjumps+Kicksliders

Which again, no casual player wants to read or understand.

With the current icons - which are known to not reflect difficulty properly - naming difficulties is not easy impossible and it kind of fucks with all difficulty naming so far.
While I think that fucking with difficulty naming in standard and making it tie to gameplayelement usage is a very good idea this is FAR away from being polished and usable.
If you already do stuff while excluding the public you should try to think stuff to its end instead of making a scheme and then posting it into the forums. I'm very dissatisfied with having such a halfhearted piece of a rulescheme thrown at me.

If you are going to rewrite RC you have to consider every part of it. It doesn't make sense to write one part, toss it to the hard rules and then write the next one without really caring about context.

kudosu pls - oh wait, kudosu are stil useless...
Sylvette
I'm pretty sure every single person who has ever played osu! disagrees with the new rules.
DeletedUser_1574070
પ નુલુંગ લસશ

I have no idea lol
_underjoy
what the hell is happening here
Sonnyc
Hey guys, calm down and let's look at the positive side of this newly amended rule!!!

Are you experiencing difficulty in gathering modders on your E-N-H-I-I-I-I mapset? Exciting news!!! Enjoy your time deciding what difficulty to remove from your mapset, that you have dedicated your time towards osu! mapping!!! No your beatmap will be E-N-H-I for the community to look, and lazzzzy modders would get more interested to look your map!!!

Concerned about the restriction of having only 1 insane, while you prefer to having another insane with a different style??? Why waste your mapping ability for an insane??? Focus your full mapping abilities towards "Ultra"-classified difficulty, and make 20 kinds of various Ultra difficulties!!!

Len wrote:

calm down moe ppls

we can make 1903280192380912star diff and can get ranke now
its very interesting rule
2016 will be great guys! I love you <3
fieryrage
holy shit this blew way the fuck up lmfao

in all seriousness, why? why are you attempting to restrict the amount of ranked maps by making it artificially harder to get a set / diff ranked? makes no sense to me.

also, insane or below for 1 diff approval mapsets? are you joking?
Sylvette

_underjoy wrote:

what the hell is happening here
Horrible rules are happening.
Strategas
please reconsider approval maps that are over 10 minutes, idk if 20 min marathon that is an extra needs to have a insane, it's just a pain and probably a lot of extra or higher marathons won't be made now
Rumia-
quick add me on skyp b4 u get 400h silence !!1 xd
TheKingHenry

Arphimigon wrote:

This REALLY damages mapsets which are over 10 minutes, like one I'm working on now, since making a new whole easier diff not only is extremely time consuming (considering mine is 16 mins) but the currently difficulty is all about working with the atmosphere of the original song, so it has easy and hard parts, so making an easier diff would make no sense.

I could say that for shorter approval maps having multiple diffs is more acceptable, but for way longer ones? No way.
I so agree with this, especially as my 23 min project is even only one song, not some kind of compilation ;_;
DeletedUser_3886246

Zerss wrote:

Okay then, I'm out of the beatmapping community.
Goodbye.
FOREVER
Welp, gonna join you there
l1mi

Loctav wrote:

VINXIS wrote:

Edit: was there even discussion witht he community or qats hOLY
We went through that change with these people t/420229

"The aim of this project is to adjust the Ranking Criteria to the today's needs".

Might have missed it but I cant find any information about what "today's needs" is, or for what purpose the change is being made. This change should result in less maps so im guessing there is a good reason for this change?
dong
show more