forum

Mapset and Spread Restructure (Proposed)

posted
Total Posts
show more
-Mo-
Sorry, but I really dislike this change.

I personally find that there usually isn't a very good spread between Normal, Hard, and Insane (As a beginner player, the jump from Normal to Hard was a big one, as was Hard to Insane). It is good to have some sort of inbetween difficulty so that the spreading is much more smooth (Advanded and Light Insane difficulties). This change seems to prevent that.

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/347460

I've been working on this for a while, and the fact that I have to remove or completely rework one of the lower and upper difficulties just feels wrong to do in almost every aspect.
Anxient
wait if i understand this new rule properly, its basically this

as long as we get difficulty icons on set, like easy, normal, hard, insane, extra, its rankable. the spread doesnt matter? so what is the point of the star rating system?
why not just get rid of it? change into

coz if it is like that, then holy shit rip the ranking criteria. again.
Ayako

Anxient wrote:

wait if i understand this new rule properly, its basically this

as long as we get difficulty icons on set, like easy, normal, hard, insane, extra, so what is the point of the star rating system?
why not just get rid of it? change into

coz if it is like that, then holy shit rip the ranking criteria.
i lol-ed
Seijiro
I realized 2 things while I was reading the flood of comments coming:
- this new RC rule seems to be pointing the finger to some specific mappers who usually make 6*+ maps
- the staff won't change route no matter what we say (as in most cases)

The real discussion is happening here, not on the Discord #modhelp.
Please re-consider this
Stjpa

Anxient wrote:

please tell me that this is just a big prank
lit120
I really have to disagree with the 1st and the 2nd rule tbh. That will force a mapper to delete many GDs and forcing them to map it and rank it at their own mapsets. It's kinda disappoint to see a new rule like this

For the 3rd rule, what about the "marathon" maps which are likely to have more than 10 mintes long and it is a collab map? It's kinda ridiculous here

Edit: about the 3rd rule, making another diff even that it has extra diff on it is just a wasting of time, really
Lust
changes like this reminds me why i dont want to be involved with the ranking process anymore
Cheesecake
So if I have a set with three insanes, one by me and two GD's, I have to delete those GD's to fit your new dumbass rule? Hahahahaha no
Rido
mati gih
Len
lets make 10star ultra

we
can
fly
Meg

Len wrote:

lets make 10star ultra

we
can
fly
mulraf
Let me rephrase that.

"Hello everyone, ztrot here, destroying your dreams since 2008!"

seriously (i'm sorry for that rather rough introduction btw :x), after working for months on my first map, getting mods, starting to mod other maps recently and shoot my kudosu at my own map, i'll have to completely change it :? i mean i don't even have to change as much as many other mappers. some will have to delete complete difficulties.

"This new rule might seem scary at first but, fear not as we don't want to forget our professional osu! players either!"

yeah, seemingly you don't want to forget the professional osu! players, so let's just forget the mappers instead >:(

Also there's just times when not all difficulties fit to the map. Times when you have something different in mind in terms of the spread.
This will not only significantly increase the work of mappers, moders, BN's and QAT's, it will also erase a part of the mappers freedom. In my opinion we need more freedom instead of more restrictions!
Akasha-
Thanks for increasing more maps which need to overmapped to surepassed this rules
Kellan
It's worth mentioning that, under these new rules, NONE of the maps currently on the "Most Played Beatmaps" would have gotten ranked.
Isn't that an obvious sign that this is a terrible decision?
meii18
I do not really agree with the new structure of the spread I mean for example if the spread between easy and normal is kinda huge,it needs another normal,a new one normal and the old one being renamed to Advanced or if the spread between hard and Insane is too kinda huge it needs a difficulty named hyper or light insane but yes,the difficulties which causes problems with the spread can be tuned down just my though.
Also I agree with the spread for approval mapsets regarding Insane and Extra because there are some players who cannot pass the Extra difficulties let's say or passing the high bpm streams.Just my opinion.
stal

Loctav wrote:

Desperate-kun wrote:

Most of the members of the council were not online when this was discussed.
let me fix that. 10% were not online.
nice to know you guys had the time to proofread your thread etc. but can't even schedule a meeting.
Yuii-
Happy Valentine's Day to people on Asia.
Sonnyc
#BestAprilFoolsDay

oh wait, it's Valentines Day! Enjoy chocolate everyone <3
Ayako
Cellina
Come on, this completely ruined and ignored current mapping stuffs.
Rave-up
this shit is pretty entertaining to watch i can't even lie
Nozhomi

Lust wrote:

changes like this reminds me why i dont want to be involved with the ranking process anymore
I guess no more to add here.

95% of posts here disagree with that new rule, so pls stop that and reconsider your work on this one.
Ascendance

Spy wrote:

lmfao
Asahina Momoko

ztrot wrote:

Hello everyone, ztrot here with some exciting new news!
the best ironic phrase 2k16
Anxient
this is put in the beatmaps section

so please

QATs

DQ this rule map im begging you
Ayako
is this when strawpoll comes in handy? or is it too hard to make one
KaedekaShizuru
0.2 1.69 3.74 5.24 10.0 best spread
Fia
So that means I can't rank two Insane of different styles just because they got same stars?
Noffy

Nozhomi wrote:

Lust wrote:

I guess no more to add here.

95% of posts here disagree with that new rule, so pls stop that and reconsider your work on this one.

Looked through it, it's looking more like 100% from anyone that didn't make this decision. The only place I see agreement is for the approval rule.
Who does this benefit?
Mappers? No, it's incredibly limiting.
Players? No, it gives them less variety to pick from.
..why?
Fezu
All I see here is someone having OCD and needed a ruleset to calm themselves down from it.
Shirona
RIP TOKYO
I LOVE IT
Garden

Yuii- wrote:

Happy Valentine's Day to people on Asia.
Nyari
I feel like this is one of the issues where you kinda want a consensus when everyone is actually there, even if 10% doesn't agree, the entire structure behind the beatmap shouldnt be able to be changed, as it is arguably the biggest part of the entire video game.
kisata
Zero community discussion. Even before considering how awful some of these new rules are - to have this simply rammed down our throats is a joke. At least we know how you really feel about this "community" now.
Azer
This is way too limiting and it's obvious the negatives of this change far outweigh the sole positive.. It's clear by the levels of backlash this post has received and I hope there is consideration to compensate for or revert these changes..
XiMerx
how about putting this into guidelines thank
Agka
posting in epic thread
Enkidu
RIP my two hour long undertale marathon
Poi Panda

XiMerx wrote:

how about putting this into guidelines thank
or just completely removing
that would be good
Shulin
Rules and Guidelines are from now on solely pushed by the Council and their discussions.
osu! dictatorship :P
show more