forum

Mapset and Spread Restructure (Proposed)

posted
Total Posts
show more
Natsu

Loctav wrote:

VINXIS wrote:

Edit: was there even discussion witht he community or qats hOLY
We went through that change with these people t/420229
why you exclude the rest of the community and the rest of BNs/QAT from the discussion, a big change like this should be discussed more open, mostly because all the community disagree with this.
ac8129464363
All this does is push rigidity where it's not needed. What if someone wants to show different styles of mapping at the same level of difficulty in their map? It only serves to make mapsets less interesting.
Taeyang

Yuii- wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/801333

Asphyxia is crying right now.
lol...
MBomb
Rule about not allowing 2 of the same difficulty is literally the stupidest thing I've ever seen. I'm one of those people who always tries his hardest to agree with you guys on everything, but I see literally no fucking logic behind any of that. You're limiting newer players by breaking the bridges between new difficulties, breaking the creativity of mappers, and generally ruining stuff that doesn't need to be restricted.
Akiyama Mizuki
I'll be honest I'm still unhappy about that maps before this rule are affected
How many GDs will be deleted, how many people that were preparing approval maps have to spend much more time to fit the rule suddenly... etc,.
well.. happens

I've already stated thing above while the discussion for twice, it's here, I won't voice anymore.
Giralda

Yuii- wrote:

Bara-
I can honestly feel a circlejerk coming up incredibly fast, although it will likely be a protest
Shmiklak
Please, no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Okoratu

mintong89 wrote:

Yuii- wrote:

it's ok since this rule only applies at new map
it applies to this map since it hasn't been bubbled / iconed in any way before
neonat
For the council how do you seriously expect them to get the views of all their peers in their respective community? Do you seriously think 1 person can do it, and do you think he/she will really go out and reach out to every single one of them with differing views? That's just being idealistic and it's not going to become reality.
Seijiro
we need more icons imo, otherwise this new "rule" is way too restrictive.
You prioritize a linear spread but disapprove "in-between" diffs, wtf
Feb
Why would you change the amount of difficulties allowed in a set? I really don't get it and you don't really state a reason either.

I like the approval change - I really do.
Topic Starter
ztrot

Sieg wrote:

@ztrot can you please give a reasoning to us for
Every mapset is limited to one of each difficulty level per game mode.
there should be one, right?
it is to streamline the mapping process make things more clear as I have stated

The difficulty is not dependent on the star rating. The mapping techniques used within the difficulty and the spread to the surrounding difficulties define the category each difficulty level falls into. Difficulties must be named to reflect that. That being said as long as there is progression why do you need two insanes in the same set?

Easy Normal Hard Insane Expert < and if you can make a proper spread you are rewarded to break away and test your limits as a mapper and make a ultra diff
There should always be progression from easy to expert.
mintong89
ok nvm
rippppppppppppppp
Mafumafu
The rule of approval is quite great since a single 8 star approval map is really scary. Support this!

But it's quite weird to restrict the amount of difficulties in one level. I guess the entire rule is made here to make all levels pf player could enjoy the game more. Since the style among mappers varies, it's not bad, or rather, better to have multiple difficulties within one level, because the variety of mapping style caters on the need of all kinds of players (Different players enjoy and are good at different beatmap styles.)
Hpocks
You can mourn for the losses here
t/420223/start=30
Xinely
i think ENHI only can work for slow/normal bpm only (example below 190) and it will be worse for high bpm (especially above than 200) since if the mapset is forced to be "ENHI" then all of the diffs will be harder than diffs mappers map for them before and it wont be welcome for players who is learning to play high bpm

approval rule seems fine for me so i do agree
wajinshu
omg please no.
Shirona
Asphixya : Remember, no Dokyo.
this rule is not fair :/
Nozhomi

ztrot wrote:

Easy Normal Hard Insane Expert < and if you can make a proper spread you are rewarded to break away and test your limits as a mapper and make a ultra diff
So why not add more levels between them ? All of this depend of the song, so you could at least adapt spread to the song you map.
Yauxo
Im fine with the approval change, but the other things are basically the worst things to do. I dont care who proposed the rule change or which chosen players thought that this is a good idea. It isnt. Mapping is community driven, hell, the whole game is community driven. Restricting and forcing a change on the current mapping meta doesnt help, but it kills it rather. I think the thread already pointed out most of the flawed stuff, so I dont need to repeat that. Just my 2cents.
Myxo

Sonnyc wrote:

Then why is Mao, the council member, showing a disagreement?
Most of the members of the council were not online when this was discussed.
Akasha-
everythings are now hard to proceed
Okoratu

ztrot wrote:

is to streamline the mapping process make things more clear as I have stated

The difficulty is not dependent on the star rating. The mapping techniques used within the difficulty and the spread to the surrounding difficulties define the category each difficulty level falls into. Difficulties must be named to reflect that. That being said as long as there is progression why do you need two insanes in the same set?
Because the skill range in insanes varies greatly and having just one insane in the middle kills people who try to progress from hard to insane and bores people who are at the skill level where they slowly get familiar with how extras work
mintong89
That's mean I can make really easy easy and really hard hard?
Cherry Blossom

Desperate-kun wrote:

Same for me.
Loctav

Desperate-kun wrote:

Sonnyc wrote:

let me fix that. 10% were not online.
Rohit6
guys dont worry

this is just a prank

good one hhahhah
Hpocks

Desperate-kun wrote:

Sonnyc wrote:

Well was this 'discussion' even scheduled so people can show up, or was it like "Get the online members now". Sounds like bs to me
Saoji
Don't know what to think about it yet tbh.
PyaKura
I don't mind the changes apart for the approval criteria. If you do want to stick with having 2 diffs no matter what when you have an Expert or above diff, then I suggest loosening the lower limit (that is, Insane) to Hard or Normal though I'm reluctant with the latter considering I don't think players at that skill level have enough physical and/or mental stamina to keep up with a five minutes long song.

Now here's another thing I wish to adress :

folence
I really think you should listen to the general opinion here, I personally see no merit from pushing this new rule, and it seems that most other people agree on that, at least when it comes to the normal mapsets, people seem more on boat with the approved mapset thing (I strongly disagree with the approval thing personally though, as the whole reason people got something approved in the first place, was because it was a very long song, and a lot more work for each diff).
Hpocks
"You have 0 kudosu remaining. You can earn kudosu by helping mod this map! You will gain kudosu if you mod this map."

I dont see anyone gettig kds from modding this. Just saying, there has to be at least 20-30 mods here and no kds at all.
Natteke desu
not really exciting news honestly
CXu
Oh btw, if I were to want to rank my 25 minutes marathon (not that I think I would anytime soon), I now have to map another difficulty because it's an Extra difficulty? I can understand the approval rule on shorter songs, but you're most likely killing 99% of actual marathons with this.

"The mapping techniques used within the difficulty and the spread to the surrounding difficulties define the category each difficulty level falls into."
So where can I read about these mapping techniques and where on the difficulty scale the fall on, or is this just based on "feel" or whatever floats your boat at the moment? How do I know, if not with icons, if my map is what it is?
MBomb

Loctav wrote:

Desperate-kun wrote:

let me fix that. 10% were not online.
Why was this discussed in enough time that no one came online. This seems like the kind of thing you would discuss for at least a week, and you're telling me you discussed it for a few hours? This is stupid, the whole ranking criteria council thing in general is, but especially the fact you took so little time to discuss this disgusts me.
xLolicore-

Rohit6 wrote:

guys dont worry

this is just a prank

good one hhahhah
I sure hope it is one, this is the most messed up post I've seen in ages, I'm fine with the approval rule though :/

Edit: nvm, thought about Marathon maps. Oh god no
Bara-
That makes it even worse. What type of trash is this?
Silky
if your map has any type of icon set - be it bubble pop, disqualification or bubble - it will not need to follow the new restructure.
is star icon okay?
t/314308
Sieg

ztrot wrote:

it is to streamline the mapping process make things more clear as I have stated

streamline mapping process? great, and who will benefit from this?

1. mappers with 2+ same level diffs in their sets, obviously - nope
2. players - nope, less difficulties to choose from
3. BN's who checks sets - nope, since they are not obligated to check sets with a lot diffs and can spend their time voluntary
4. QATs - nope, considering how system is driven right now
show more