forum

help me decide what keyboard to get

posted
Total Posts
show more
ZenithPhantasm

[Taiga] wrote:

CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Red

Keyboard quality allows you to literaly kill a living human with it as a bonus.
This. Can confirm it is one of the best kbs performance wise in terms of latency and robustness
ithgyu

Erik- wrote:

btw can i take out the Hand rest thing from the Corsair k70 ?
yes, i dont use it
Saphirshroom

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

[Taiga] wrote:

CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Red

Keyboard quality allows you to literaly kill a living human with it as a bonus.
This. Can confirm it is one of the best kbs performance wise in terms of latency and robustness
Since we're on that topic, can I also bash the Quickfire XTi or the RAPID-i over someone's head? The TK has pretty shitty availability in Switzerland
CM Quickfire RAPID-i vs CM Quickfire XTi vs Corsair K70, halp
ZenithPhantasm
It's solid enough for osu and probably good for a murder weapon too.
Topic Starter
bad aimm
Also Can somone Explain me the Swtiches and what they do each one of them?
nomikos_old
as someone whose mech collection is starting to break four digits (don't kill me) they make next to no difference in terms of this game. so if you're getting one for just this game then either get a thnikk pad/nono board or don't bother.

budget: cm storm quickfire rapid (non i model) or tk (i'd lean towards the rapid)
leetgamerboard: a ducky or a disco rgb
best board that isn't a $600 korean custom: KUL ES-87

all are in your price range

Topic Starter
bad aimm
do i read like a multiplication chart For example blue switches are soft,Clicky
I Give Up
Quickfire with MX reds.
nomikos_old

Erik- wrote:

do i read like a multiplication chart For example blue switches are soft,Clicky
yep...
Yuudachi-kun
I like them stiff
deletemyaccount

Khelly wrote:

I like them stiff
don't we all
efuru
Yamaha
TakuMii
how about roland
CM2
Asking here to avoid unnecessary thread. So I heard that brown and red needs just about the same force to actuate, but what makes reds "lighter" and what's their difference in general?
TakuMii

CM2 wrote:

Asking here to avoid unnecessary thread. So I heard that brown and red needs just about the same force to actuate, but what makes reds "lighter" and what's their difference in general?
Browns have a tactile bump (i.e. there's a bump in the plastic that allows you to feel the actuation point as you press the key), whereas Reds are linear (i.e. the only feedback you get throughout the keypress is the spring force). Both switches use the same springs, and both switches actuate at the halfway point.
winber1
all you need to know is that if you don't get reds you'll be banished to scrubville. i've resided there for a few years, and the only thing good there are the chicken tenders.
TakuMii

winber1 wrote:

all you need to know is that if you don't get reds you'll be banished to scrubville. i've resided there for a few years, and the only thing good there are the chicken tenders.
I guess Cookiezi lives in Scrubville then. He switches between MX Browns and Razer Greens.
winber1

YayMii wrote:

winber1 wrote:

I guess Cookiezi lives in Scrubville then. He switches between MX Browns and Razer Greens.
he's probably there for the chicken tenders
kurodahatsuharu
If your taste different than everybody else, choose steelseries Apex M800. The low profile on the keyboard makes you less fatigue when playing for a long time even if you like bottom out.
Remember this keyboard is not for everybody.
TakuMii
or you could just throw o-rings onto an mx red keyboard and avoid having to spend more than twice as much as you need to
kurodahatsuharu

YayMii wrote:

or you could just throw o-rings onto an mx red keyboard and avoid having to spend more than twice as much as you need to
I have Apex M800, Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Silent, Ducky Shine 5 Red sw, and i can tell you that if you thing you an O ring and make it better, it isn't.
And you can get Apex M800 for 120$, if you know how. Right now i see a brand new one sell for 100$.
TakuMii
My point was that if you wanted a switch with a shorter keytravel, you can do that by putting O-rings on an MX keyboard for a lot cheaper.

And I have no clue where the hell you're shopping, because I can't find prices like that anywhere. The Steelseries Apex M800 retails for $220 CAD (or more) everywhere I've looked, whereas you can get standard mechanical keyboards for less than half that price. The cheapest I've found brand new is CN¥900 ($190 CAD, $140 USD, excluding shipping) on Taobao, and that is still more expensive than the $120 you're claiming.
kurodahatsuharu

YayMii wrote:

My point was that if you wanted a switch with a shorter keytravel, you can do that by putting O-rings on an MX keyboard for a lot cheaper.

And I have no clue where the hell you're shopping, because I can't find prices like that anywhere. The Steelseries Apex M800 retails for $220 CAD (or more) everywhere I've looked, whereas you can get standard mechanical keyboards for less than half that price. The cheapest I've found brand new is CN¥900 ($190 CAD, $140 USD, excluding shipping) on Taobao, and that is still more expensive than the $120 you're claiming.
That's why i said that you need to know how to buy it. One way to look for it that you find a "replace" one. A person bought a product, he use for sometime, and the product have some issues. He return the product to the store and the shop replace for him a brand new product, still has seal in place. Then he sold it for nearly half the price. So you get a brand new product with minus some months in warranty. That's popular in my country so really easy to get one.
The Gambler
Build your own keyboard... TOP KEK may have done it for jokes, but I'm serious here.
TakuMii

kurodahatsuharu wrote:

That's why i said that you need to know how to buy it. One way to look for it that you find a "replace" one. A person bought a product, he use for sometime, and the product have some issues. He return the product to the store and the shop replace for him a brand new product, still has seal in place. Then he sold it for nearly half the price. So you get a brand new product with minus some months in warranty. That's popular in my country so really easy to get one.
1. A returned product doesn't really count as "new"
2. Nobody does that here (unless you count "open box" discounts, but those happen very rarely and are usually only 10% off)

You might as well just say "look for a used keyboard", but even then, you can find standard mechanical keyboards for much cheaper. I bought my current CM Storm keyboard for $20, but that information doesn't really help anyone decide on what to buy.
kurodahatsuharu

YayMii wrote:

kurodahatsuharu wrote:

1. A returned product doesn't really count as "new"
2. Nobody does that here (unless you count "open box" discounts, but those happen very rarely and are usually only 10% off)

You might as well just say "look for a used keyboard", but even then, you can find standard mechanical keyboards for much cheaper. I bought my current CM Storm keyboard for $20, but that information doesn't really help anyone decide on what to buy.
You return and then you get a new one still had seal on it, what makes them become "old". If he said that he bought from Taobao, Ebay and it doesn't have warranty, it's a "new" or "old" product ?
You need to know what you need and you decide it worth or not. A lot of people just use cherry sw because of the price and it's popular, but it really their perfect match ? You will never find out if you follow the crowd.
My first mechkey is a CM Storm Rapid i blue sw and it got 6 led died in 3 months, i try to contact with the shop i bought and they said that i need to keep waiting for new keyboard to arrived. I wait for another 4 months and th ey said that they will not restock that keyboard anymore because they have some contract issues. I try to contact directly to the company and they said that i need to send them the keyboard and they will give me the new one. The cost for the transfer it's cost more than the keyboard, so i throw that sh*t out of the window. Never use anything from this company anymore.
Topic Starter
bad aimm
does razer blackwidow ultimate 2014 have switches? btw i currently own the razer blackwidow ultimate 2014 and kinda want to upgrade
Sayorie
*confused look*

Why won't you check your keyboard yourself and see if there are switches under the keycaps?
Topic Starter
bad aimm

Arthraxium wrote:

*confused look*

Why won't you check your keyboard yourself and see if there are switches under the keycaps?

Scared to break btw already found out just googled it :)
Sayorie
Trust me, it won't break the switch if you pull out the key cap vertically. Usually, there's a key cap puller included in most mechanical keyboard purchases.

Especially for you: http://imgur.com/a/nsEDr
Topic Starter
bad aimm
if anyone has Qwazar Red Shift Mechanical Keyboard - Cherry MX Red tell me what u rate it getting my new keyboard this week hype :D